***2013 A-Day Thread***

RunInRed

Quick observations from the Spring game:

1. We have a good running game. CAP and Tre are going to be a nice combination.

2. O line on both the 1's and 2's did some nice run blocking.

3. D line on the 1's played well as did overall D with the 1's.

4. Big drop off in the 2 D.

5. TEs played well and were a big part of the receiving game. Nice to see.

6. Reed at WR needs to stop dropping passes or he wont get near the 1's.

7. Owens at LB had some nice plays with the 2 D.

8. As of this moment, we don't have a dynamic player at QB.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO.....JJ may get a red shirt and the QB1 battle will be between NM and JW. I think JW could be a servicable QB if the OL play improves. I am actually more concerned about the receivers.

Honestly with this offense we don't need a dynamic QB. It helps alas Cam Newton. I agree though that we need consistent wr play. I just hope our defense is up to the task. Dang, I miss those days when we knew our defense was headhunters.

Post-game presser...

Gus Malzahn: "I really appreciate our fans. That's really kind of overwhelming. ... That meant the world to our players and coaches."

Malzahn reiterates that the coaching staff really wanted to make this an evaluation. That's why everybody got so many snaps.

Malzahn on CAP: "He made some really good runs. He's a big downhill back, and he's gotten better."

Malzahn on Mason: "That's really the first live work he's gotten since being hurt."

Corey Grant couldn't play because he's had a fever the last couple of days. Real strong fever.

Malzahn saves the evaluation for the film.

More Malzahn on attendance: "I think it says a lot about college football, the Auburn fans. ... That's overwhelming."

Malzahn says Auburn's running backs have done a good job with ball security this spring.

Malzahn says one of the practices will be another "real good one," meaning going live.

Gus Malzahn on Mincy's hit: "15-yard penalties are inexcusable. ... That wasn't good. There's no doubt."

Malzahn on Demetruce McNeal: "He's dealing with some things off the field, it's day-to-day, and that's really all we know at this time."

@JoelAEricksonAU

Got a good feel on two-deep? Malzahn: "We're getting closer, there's no doubt. We've got a lot of information as coaches."

@bmarcello

If that were true coaches wouldn't have them.

Its a chance to make some money and draw crowd interest in a down period. Apart from that it is just a glorified scrimmage after a small amount of practice. What you see here is completely over-analyzed, and will mean little once Fall camp starts.

K. Frazier fan? My sympathies.

My observations from A-Day:

1.) JW outplayed KF even though neither were that great. I hope NM & JJ are ready to compete with JW. I'm hoping for JJ to get the job. I think NM will be a good ATH QB but if NM's accuracy is not better than KF or JW...then it will be JJ's job.

2.) The WR's need to STEP UP! I like Denson and Coates and I think Ray will be a serviceable possession WR. I would've like to have seen more of CJ and Fulse. The TE's may have to play a larger role if the WR's don't step up.

3.) I liked our CB play

4.) O line did a nice job

5.) CAP is a BEAST!

6.) Looks like we are going to be "ground and pound" until a QB develops. We will have 3 good RBs to help out whoever the QB will be. Wish Corey Grant could've played.

7.) Carl Lawson will have a great chance to get some PT..saw no good pressure on the QB from the DL

8.) Was Parkey sleep? lol. Maybe he was just bored. Ha ha

9.) Tackling looked much improved overall

10.) The Auburn family is STRONG 83K! WarD@mnEagle!!!!!!!!!

If there's one thing I have learned about spring games over the years, it's that YOU CAN DRAW ZERO CONCLUSIONS FROM IT. ZERO.

If that were true coaches wouldn't have them.

I think he may have been referring to us fans and how we draw conclusions based on one game.

S/O WAR EAGLE FROM BOSTON, MA. :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/> :wareagle:/>

A big War Eagle to you!

BIOdj03CcAAeFlW.jpg

Times ten, much love to an Aubie up there in Boston, I attended Berklee, love on that city for me. Hope you and all yours are well, WDE!!!!! War Eagle to all who couldn't get home for A Day. New day and it is going to be a pretty one.

1.) JW outplayed KF even though neither were that great. I hope NM & JJ are ready to compete with JW. I'm hoping for JJ to get the job. I think NM will be a good ATH QB but if NM's accuracy is not better than KF or JW...then it will be JJ's job.

2.) The WR's need to STEP UP! I like Denson and Coates and I think Ray will be a serviceable possession WR. I would've like to have seen more of CJ and Fulse. The TE's may have to play a larger role if the WR's don't step up.

3.) I liked our CB play

5.) CAP is a BEAST!

6.) Looks like we are going to be "ground and pound" until a QB develops. We will have 3 good RBs to help out whoever the QB will be. Wish Corey Grant could've played.

7.) Carl Lawson will have a great chance to get some PT..saw no good pressure on the QB from the DL

Good News

The tempo looked good at times. Running game with that tempo, going to be fun to watch. How many plays did we run?

the radio stream I had said 75 plays in 1st 1/2

didn't give a game total

More game photos...

940x.jpg

Rhett Lashlee

940x.jpg

Lashlee and Kiehl Frazier

940x.jpg

Jaylon Denson, Jonathan Jones

940x.jpg

Anthony Swain, Jonathan Wallace

940x.jpg

Trovon Reed, Ryan Smith

940x.jpg

Gus Malzahn

940x.jpg

CAP, Mack VanGorder, Harris Gaston

940x.jpg

Tre Mason, Harris Gaston

940x.jpg

940x.jpg

Brandon Fulse, Trovon Reed

940x.jpg

Ellis Johnson

940x.jpg

Ricardo Louis, Jake Holland

Via AP

3.) I liked our CB play

5.) CAP is a BEAST!

all the above plus

1) Reed dropped 3, caught long ball

2) Frasier slow to decide and telegraphing, had 2 good runs.

3) Lyman played as the 3rd back

4) Shakespeare was stopped at LOS

5) Parkey missed 2 FG's. Maybe lose the gold shoes

6) Mincy's hit was clean

7) Did I say CAP's a beast

8) I heard 84740 attendance

Archived