***2013 A-Day Thread***

RunInRed

A-day was great. Talked to Kamryn Pettway. It is along way to go to signing day but he said he was 100% to Auburn. OF course what else would he say. The great thing is I did not ask he just brought it up. Talked to some of last years signees -Lawson, Robinson, Ford, JJ, Jason Smith, Melton and a few others. Jason Smith was nice but the guy is crazy small. Not tall and super thin. Overall most were easy to chat up. Also talked to Lemonier and got his auto along with O-mac and Bates. Really a great day

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just one thing that I noticed from the game (and it may have just been where my seat was) but it seemed like a lot of the time, JW wouldn't have gotten passes off if he was live.

For example in this video I'm fairly confident he wouldn't have gotten the throw at 44:50 off, as he had a D-Lineman right in his face. And again on his 2nd touchdown pass 2 plays later (at 45:41) he had a linebacker coming right for him who let up because JW wasn't live.

I didn't watch the replay but it seemed like this happened more often with Wallace than with Frazier. I also noticed that Frazier had more passes dropped than Wallace. In my opinion, the coaches really like both QB's, which means that Frazier must be doing something in practice to impress them. I also think we need to keep in mind that Frazier was the #1 offensive player in the country coming out of high school, so he definitely has potential. As he gets more comfortable with getting back into this offense and getting some chemistry with his WR's, I think we will see Frazier become a much better QB.

If I had to guess, I would say he starts come August 31, but again that's just my guess.

Rant over, back to Physics homework.

@AUengineer2016,

Yes I noticed that they didn't call several plays where JW would have been down. As you say, on that 2nd TD pass he would have been flat on his back so his stats are somewhat misleading. Both QBs played OK, not exceptional and definitely not dynamic. They are both going to be in a real battle with NM, JJ and JS starting next month. There is real opportunity for those 3 now. I just hope of the 5, we can have a starter in place on 8/31 that brings some exceptional play to the position to go along with the much improved O line play.

@AUengineer2016,

Yes I noticed that they didn't call several plays where JW would have been down. As you say, on that 2nd TD pass he would have been flat on his back so his stats are somewhat misleading. Both QBs played OK, not exceptional and definitely not dynamic. They are both going to be in a real battle with NM, JJ and JS starting next month. There is real opportunity for those 3 now. I just hope of the 5, we can have a starter in place on 8/31 that brings some exceptional play to the position to go along with the much improved O line play.

I agree. In a perfect world, I'd like us to be able to redshirt JJ so that Gus has a little more time to get some weapons around him and let him adjust to an SEC football program, as well as getting an extra year of conditioning under his belt. I'm trying to keep in mind as well that everything that we've seen so far has been put together in 12 practices, which (considering they're completely changing offensive schemes) is pretty dang impressive.

Just one thing that I noticed from the game (and it may have just been where my seat was) but it seemed like a lot of the time, JW wouldn't have gotten passes off if he was live.

For example in this video I'm fairly confident he wouldn't have gotten the throw at 44:50 off, as he had a D-Lineman right in his face. And again on his 2nd touchdown pass 2 plays later (at 45:41) he had a linebacker coming right for him who let up because JW wasn't live.

I didn't watch the replay but it seemed like this happened more often with Wallace than with Frazier. I also noticed that Frazier had more passes dropped than Wallace. In my opinion, the coaches really like both QB's, which means that Frazier must be doing something in practice to impress them. I also think we need to keep in mind that Frazier was the #1 offensive player in the country coming out of high school, so he definitely has potential. As he gets more comfortable with getting back into this offense and getting some chemistry with his WR's, I think we will see Frazier become a much better QB.

If I had to guess, I would say he starts come August 31, but again that's just my guess.

Frazier played much better than last year. He made some good throws that were dropped (especially the one at the 30 minute mark). There were no interceptions and almost all of his throws were where only the receiver could catch them. The timing of his throws, I think, could be improved and am sure the coaches will help him get better. Wallace was good as well (except for the interception). The play-calling for each of the QBs was different as you can see from the number of passing attempts for each QB. Hoping for a great 2013-14 season!

The tempo looked good at times. Running game with that tempo, going to be fun to watch. How many plays did we run?

Apparently 77 snaps 1st half

only 111 total

http://www.wareagleextra.com/2013/04/20/seven-different-auburn-tigers-score-seven-touchdowns-in-oranges-35-14-a-day-spectacle/

Frazier played much better than last year. He made some good throws that were dropped (especially the one at the 30 minute mark). There were no interceptions and almost all of his throws were where only the receiver could catch them. The timing of his throws, I think, could be improved and am sure the coaches will help him get better. Wallace was good as well (except for the interception). The play-calling for each of the QBs was different as you can see from the number of passing attempts for each QB. Hoping for a great 2013-14 season!

Does anybody have any Run vs Pass stats for the two QB's?

Also, on a side note, I think that Frazier looked more natural running the ball than Wallace. Just what I noticed.

Also, on a side note, I think that Frazier looked more natural running the ball than Wallace. Just what I noticed.

Likely that's true based on their respective styles of play.... but since the QBs could not be hit, their "runs" mostly consisted on carrying out their fakes. KF did pull a fast one on the D and ran in for a TD after no one had been paying any attention to him on his fakes. A lesson to the D to never assume anything.

ran the ball

Likely that's true based on their respective styles of play.... but since the QBs could not be hit, their "runs" mostly consisted on carrying out their fakes. KF did pull a fast one on the D and ran in for a TD after no one had been paying any attention to him on his fakes. A lesson to the D to never assume anything.

JW never ran the ball. I guess KF looked better at it because he did run it against a defense that couldn't tackle him. Excuse me if I'm not particularly excited about that!

ran the ball

JW never ran the ball. I guess KF looked better at it because he did run it against a defense that couldn't tackle him. Excuse me if I'm not particularly excited about that!

JW did run the ball once; he scrambled out of the pocket to his right and ran almost straight out of bounds, I think he may have gained 1 yard at the most. He did not have any designed runs.

Kiehl did have a TD run where he was not touched, I don't see how that was impacted by the defense not being able to tackle him. If you're going to argue that the majority of KF's runs were due to him not being live though, I would again bring up the point of JW's passes. At least 2 of his passes on his 2nd TD drive would not have happened: the first was the long pass (I can't remember off the top of my head who he threw it to), the second was the touchdown pass itself.

How did Jake Holland fair yesterday?

He missed a tackle on his first play :-\ but other than that I don't remember anything standing out. Didn't seem like he got a lot of playing time

How did Jake Holland fair yesterday?

He missed a tackle on his first play :-\ but other than that I don't remember anything standing out. Didn't seem like he got a lot of playing time

I didn't really watch him much, but he sure did look significantly smaller than our other linebackers.

Sad I missed the first half b/c it counds like that's when the good stuff happened. I turned on the set right at halftime just in time to hear Cliff Hare's great grandson (who looks like he's not shaving yet) say the Tumors Oaks dying "may be for the better". I understand the intended message by he and David Housel may have been "move on, we're more than a couple oaks" but even for a youngster that's a stupid statement.

The second half was still loaded with top guys and projected starters so I was disappointed it looked so rusty even for a Spring game. Still, I'll go back

Sad I missed the first half b/c it counds like that's when the good stuff happened. I turned on the set right at halftime just in time to hear Cliff Hare's great grandson (who looks like he's not shaving yet) say the Tumors Oaks dying "may be for the better". I understand the intended message by he and David Housel may have been "move on, we're more than a couple oaks" but even for a youngster that's a stupid statement.

The second half was still loaded with top guys and projected starters so I was disappointed it looked so rusty even for a Spring game. Still, I'll go back

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/889367/size/condensed/

Now you can watch.

What was the deal with the CSS interview in the middle of the 3rd quarter(that stopped the game)? That was absurd.

Looked like an assistant, maybe Lashlee, had to go over and tell them to wrap it up.

Just watched the game again... Boy, Trovon Reed needs to get a better pair of hands. Any guesses on who will be our starting WRs come fall?

My guess would be Coats, Denson, and Bray, but it wouldn't surprised me if one of the newcomers made a push. Would hope to see Ray break the starting roatation at some point.

Just watched the game again... Boy, Trovon Reed needs to get a better pair of hands. Any guesses on who will be our starting WRs come fall?

My guess would be Coats, Denson, and Bray, but it wouldn't surprised me if one of the newcomers made a push. Would hope to see Ray break the starting roatation at some point.

I expect to see Ricardo Louis get lots of PT. I don't know about becoming a starter but he definitely has big play capability

I expect to see Ricardo Louis get lots of PT. I don't know about becoming a starter but he definitely has big play capability

I agree

Archived