2013 Spring Practice - Day 14

RunInRed

Rhett Lashlee on QBs: "They both are getting better. It's not just coachspeak, I mean that." Translation: no starter yet. Not even close.

Lashlee on QBs: "I don't think there's a lot of separation."

Lashlee: Jordan Diamond's "still young, he's still improving. Just need to have his feet go where his head wants them to go."

Lashlee on Coates: "We've said all along Sammie can make the 'wow!' play, but can he make the consistent play? I think he's getting better."

Tre Mason has practiced the last two days. Ready to go A-Day.

Good answer by Lashlee on what tomorrow's scrimmage means to seeing players respond to a crowd. He's itching to see the game-like reactions.

@wareagleextra

Lashlee on LT Shon Coleman, said it's been neat "from a feel-good, emotional spot" to see him play this spring. He's stayed at 2nd LT.

Lashlee on 2-deep: "We've got a pretty good idea of what we think, but tomorrow will be good because it's really our third scrimmage."

Lashlee pleased with Brandon Fulse: "For a big guy, he's really good out in space. ... He's a weapon, a big-body guy like that."

Lashlee said all RBs "should get plenty of reps" Saturday.

Lashlee said Sammie Coates "can make the wow play. Can he make the consistent play?" Lashlee said Coates & Ricardo Louis most explosive WRs.

Lashlee said Devonte Danzey has really improved, had a good scrimmage Saturday, was on 1st team to "see how he responds."

@AUBlog

Rhett Lashlee: "I would much rather come out of practice with 10 plays that we can do really well against anybody than 40 we don't do well."

Tre Mason will play on Saturday, Rhett Lashlee says.

Lashlee also says Ricardo Louis has the ability to be a deep threat.

Rhett Lashlee: "We've got some good size at that H-back position. ... we feel like we might have some really good depth here.

Lashlee says he wants to see more consistent effort out of the receivers, likes Jaylon Denson and Quan Bray's consistency.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Lashlee on Melvin Ray: "He's doing fine. He's probably the one guy I don't know if he'll go."

@AUAuthority

Auburn may run a little Wildcat (Trovon Reed, Quan Bray) at A-Day game, but not a lot. Tigers focusing much more on base offense.

@bmarcello

Maybe I've just missed it in years past but I can't remember this many guys being in and out of the critical, yet tiny window that is Spring practice for "personal reasons". Can't those be ironed out before or after this small, important period? Holland's class schedule conflicts are just odd too.

Hmmm ... must be coach speak... for nunya' d--n business?

I agree and would also be easily persuaded to believe it was more serious than a small issue that will be easily remedied.

Don't make a story out of straw. They are students first and football players second. If you can't be a student you won't be a football player.

I was referring to McNeal not Holland

Maybe I've just missed it in years past but I can't remember this many guys being in and out of the critical, yet tiny window that is Spring practice for "personal reasons". Can't those be ironed out before or after this small, important period? Holland's class schedule conflicts are just odd too.

I agree and would also be easily persuaded to believe it was more serious than a small issue that will be easily remedied.

Don't make a story out of straw. They are students first and football players second. If you can't be a student you won't be a football player.

Seeing how many folks were so butthurt by chizk & co coach-speak re practices that's an interesting take on these statements. Having potnetial starters absent more than once or twice for spring drills is no straw story. No scientific study/data here, all I said was it seems more important (non-injured) players are missing this year's Spring practice window than usual for "personal reasons." Amazing how the Ivy's as well as Michigan, Stanford, Texas, Notre Dame etc have great students that make practice too. If EJ says Holland's absenses are class related I'll assume the staff doesn't mean student-related when they say personal reasons. Baby's arrival is obviously not what I'm referring to either.

Not sure how accurate this is, but if a gradualting senior needs a class to graduate and it is only given at one time, I see no problem in the senior missing practice. Sounds to me as if this is something that couldn't be avoided.

Not sure how accurate this is, but if a gradualting senior needs a class to graduate and it is only given at one time, I see no problem in the senior missing practice. Sounds to me as if this is something that couldn't be avoided.

Absolutely. Obviously this is a class he had to have and it appears there was only one (or extremely limited) option. I can't imagine any reasonable person would object to this.

he has to take x amount of classes to stay qualified....I guarantee there was most likely NO choice in the matter..

Yes, all good points about Holland which easily explains his absences but how you would explain the absences of McNeal who I was referring to? Since Holland was easy to explain, how do we explain 2 consecutive missed practices for "personal reasons" other than becoming a father?

Co signed

I was referring to McNeal not Holland

No offense to Jake but let him miss a few practices if it is better for his future. He is destined for an (important) back-up role next year. Guy we need out there every day is Meat McNeal. If he bulks up like he is planning to do then we have another run stopper who already plays with the attitude to play old school (Carlo Cheatham) AU defense. Hope it is something temporary and he is out there for A-day with Justin and the other head hunters on this new AU defense.

There's no telling about McNeal, it could literally be anything that's keeping him out. Hope for the best and start preparing the next guy up I guess. Show must go on.

We don't have a next guy up is the thing. We need him out there next fall. This would be the worst news of the spring but maybe I am unnecessarily panicking. Come on Meat, get right and be one of our leading tacklers next year..

http://www.oanow.com...19bb30f31a.html

Not sounding good for McNeal. I do not think we will see him tomorrow. Come on Demetruce get it together, hate to lose you!!!

"He may be there or he may not". Like I said originally, I could be easily presuaded to believe his personal issues could be the kind that may not be easily remedied.

We NEED McNeal out there. We don't have a next in line.

Not for the A Day game but we do have 3 hard hitting safeties in Alexander, Harding and King coming in that will give us some much needed depth.

Not for the A Day game but we do have 3 hard hitting safeties in Alexander, Harding and King coming in that will give us some much needed depth.

And all three should have a chance at early PT. They are all very physical guys. Has Mackenro qualified? He was iffy at one point I thought. He and Stevens the WR.

Anyone know the reason for the OL change? Anything happened to Kozan?

Per the interview above, no big deal they are just rotating the four guards. IMO I think the strength and conditioning work over the summer will determine who will start, got four pretty good ones.

And all three should have a chance at early PT. They are all very physical guys. Has Mackenro qualified? He was iffy at one point I thought. He and Stevens the WR.

Hmm, I haven't read anything lately that said he wasn't qualified so I guess no news is good news.

Archived