2013 Spring Practice - Day 11 (Scrimmage)

RunInRed

It

Got to be on the field and watch the scrimmage Saturday. A few observations that I had. Defense still has a LONG way to go, they still had trouble tackling and the linebackers took poor angles to the ball. There were a few big hits by some DBs. TJ Davis (i think) had a big one that turned heads. Garrett was impressive in the way he ran to the football and was physicall when he got to the ball. Defensive line made some big plays behind the line a few time and Whitaker stuffed the run pretty good. Hes really good at holding the point on double teams. Overall the only thing really impressive about the Defense was the way the huslted to the ball. There was definately a lot of effort and the guys played hard. On the offensive side of the ball the Quarterbacks looked good at times and awful at others. Sammie Coates dropped a wide open pass. Reed and Bray looked really fast and ellusive, if they get the ball in space they can make plays. Corey Grant looked really fast and on his 2nd TD, it was about 70 yds, nobody was within 10 yds of him by the time he was in the endzone. Melvin Ray is an impressive looking athlete but sprained his ankle late in the scrimmage.

Considering the emphasis that has been placed on tackling and fundamentals, it's somewhat discouraging to hear that.

For four years there has been zero emphasis on the correct tackling fundamentals. I'm sure it's gonna take a LOT longer than a couple of weeks to fix.

100% agree. Hate to admit it but tackling will be an on-going issue with the D. My hope is as the season goes on...we'll have less and less issues with tackling but practice and game speed is two different animals. As long as coaches are continually addressing tackling...all they can do at this point that will allow us to get better at it.

It

Got to be on the field and watch the scrimmage Saturday. A few observations that I had. Defense still has a LONG way to go, they still had trouble tackling and the linebackers took poor angles to the ball. There were a few big hits by some DBs. TJ Davis (i think) had a big one that turned heads. Garrett was impressive in the way he ran to the football and was physicall when he got to the ball. Defensive line made some big plays behind the line a few time and Whitaker stuffed the run pretty good. Hes really good at holding the point on double teams. Overall the only thing really impressive about the Defense was the way the huslted to the ball. There was definately a lot of effort and the guys played hard. On the offensive side of the ball the Quarterbacks looked good at times and awful at others. Sammie Coates dropped a wide open pass. Reed and Bray looked really fast and ellusive, if they get the ball in space they can make plays. Corey Grant looked really fast and on his 2nd TD, it was about 70 yds, nobody was within 10 yds of him by the time he was in the endzone. Melvin Ray is an impressive looking athlete but sprained his ankle late in the scrimmage.

Considering the emphasis that has been placed on tackling and fundamentals, it's somewhat discouraging to hear that.

For four years there has been zero emphasis on the correct tackling fundamentals. I'm sure it's gonna take a LOT longer than a couple of weeks to fix.

Longer than that. Muschamp's MO was making up for zero emphasis on fundamentals by successfully stoking the D w/ emotion for 4 quarters.

Thanks for the coverage RIR, can we call those long-distance stadium shots Belichick-cam? :big:

I must say, those are the tiniest arms on any post-high school O line I've ever seen. Beating a dead horse: sure wish Zeke Pike hadn't been such a head case and was still in the QB mix.

I don't know Zeke. He may have been a head case as you say. Had CGM stayed I do believe ZP would have toed the line better and still been in the mix for our QB job. Gus wanted Zeke. CGC's remaining coaches did not (along with most on this forum). Things usually have a way of working out for the best. AU will be fine and Zeke will be fine.

Zeke Pike as a QB is doing so well at Louisville that he is #80, a tight end. He might have a future there with his size.

It

Longer than that. Muschamp's MO was making up for zero emphasis on fundamentals by successfully stoking the D w/ emotion for 4 quarters.

Thanks for the coverage RIR, can we call those long-distance stadium shots Belichick-cam? :big:

I must say, those are the tiniest arms on any post-high school O line I've ever seen. Beating a dead horse: sure wish Zeke Pike hadn't been such a head case and was still in the QB mix.

I don't know Zeke. He may have been a head case as you say. Had CGM stayed I do believe ZP would have toed the line better and still been in the mix for our QB job. Gus wanted Zeke. CGC's remaining coaches did not (along with most on this forum). Things usually have a way of working out for the best. AU will be fine and Zeke will be fine.

From an article in Jan 2013

"Pike, a 6-foot-5 225-pound quarterback transferred to Louisville in August after enrolling for the 2012 spring semester at Auburn. Pike was rated as one of the top quarterback prospects in the 2012 class. He was sent home from Auburn during summer practice after being arrested for public intoxication. Pike never returned to Auburn and decided to transfer to Louisville and play tight end. He was sitting out this season due to the NCAA’s transfer rule and was asked to leave the team in October."

Zeke does not seem to be very fine.

We may have dodged a bullet with him.

Archived