2013 Spring Practice - Day 10

RunInRed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. 2 cents on practice today in chain of conciousness style: I still see no obvious difference in QBs. I really like Melvin Ray and I think Coates is running some sharp routes. I think the walkon Spriggs will get a lot of playing time on ADay. The DBs are the strongest part of our team right now (they turned their heads today but still are a little grabby for my liking, but I can tell how athletic they are.) It was great seeing Mason out there. Think special teams are strong. Gus set the team up for a "bad practice" wed after the break and the heavy lifting lately...today seemed to build them back up a bit (granted it was cooler). I liked the oline vs feline drills. EJ is in the dline's face about hand placement, where thu come through in the gaps, etc which is a far cry from the "get upfield and hope something good happens" atmosphere that I seemed to see so much last year. I really like our Secondary coaches. D Craig is skinnier than I remembered from years gone by. We are getting better. Enough to compete against the "big boys?" Not yet, but I see the process.

couple of questions,how close Frost to seeing playing time,and how is Payne looking? I think with all I have read about EJ and practices this defense will grow by leaps and bounds compared to 2012. What say you? With no clear separation at the quarterback position, Marshall has a legit chance to come in and win the starting job.

I've only seen 2 practices 1st hand, and I don't remember Frost in either. I like A-Payne. He is a big running back. It's hard to tell if he's hot enough speed to get around the edge like grant does. I think Mason is so heads above right now that Payne will see a lot of A day time and we will be talking about him a good bit. Still, to see Mason you would really appreciate the differences. I REALLY like EJ compared to the last two DCs. It wasn't like vangorder couldn't coach, it was just this overall muck that was obvious. It was just perfect storm I guess. Anyway, EJs got the defense buyin in. He reminds me of Tuberville. I am hearing from all of our support staff that we think Marshall will be the man if he can come in and pick up the offense fairly quickly. Without being overly critical, I agree that I'm not sure we have a legitimate SEC starter right now.

I think somebody may need to get in a little better shape if they want playing time in the Fall and I'm not talking about #93-Niles.

563143_10151548188154894_1172277136_n.jpg

i noticed the same thing yesterday. Holland has a more pronounced gut than most of the linemen!

Archived