2013 Spring Practice - Day 10

RunInRed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coleman looks good, and I got more excited about Ken Carter in that video than in 3 years as a DT. He could give us some sold Bret Eddins/Doug Langenfeld hold-the-point-of-attack style DE play.

Coleman not only looked good physically but he seems to have quick feet and his technique was good too. Very encouraging on Shon and yes, I like that Carter move too. Of course that Carter move was opened up when Owens moved to LB, which also seems to be working out, so right now it's a 2 for 1 deal.

The thing working against Colemon is he's working at LT behind G-Rob. it might be tuff winning that spot

Yes, there is no question about that. But, it's good to see Shon finally being in the position to demonstrate his skills. We have some real talent on that second unit.

I'm not hearing much about Sr Jake Holland. With 16 career starts @ Auburn, he's one of the more experienced guys on our D. 11 tackles against Clemson and a half dozen other decent games (relatively speaking) last year. Experience on a 6'1, 240 LB's usually a valuable asset, is he hurt?

"Johnson said Jake Holland's class schedule has forced him to miss meetings and practice times, hindered progress this spring.

EJ said classes are important, but "when the game is over on Saturday, nobody asks you what classes your were at the week before.""

Hey EJ, and unless you're the 1/2000th of 1% of college players that actually make an NFL roster, employers don't care what football practices/meetings you made or not. But I guess as DC you're totally helpless to help the student/athlete.

I'm not hearing much about Sr Jake Holland. With 16 career starts @ Auburn, he's one of the more experienced guys on our D. 11 tackles against Clemson and a half dozen other decent games (relatively speaking) last year. Experience on a 6'1, 240 LB's usually a valuable asset, is he hurt?

"Johnson said Jake Holland's class schedule has forced him to miss meetings and practice times, hindered progress this spring.

EJ said classes are important, but "when the game is over on Saturday, nobody asks you what classes your were at the week before.""

Hey EJ, and unless you're the 1/2000th of 1% of college players that actually make an NFL roster, employers don't care what football practices/meetings you made or not. But I guess as DC you're totally helpless to help the student/athlete.

I don't know much about the situation, but the players were probably asked to keep a certain time slot open. If there was a class that Jake couldn't get into because it was only held at a certain time, he was probably asked to take it over the Summer or during the Fall instead. These players take classes year around, and most are way ahead of their graduating schedules, so it wouldn't have hurt him to move a class to a different semester. He probably sees the writing on the wall, and just wants to graduate and get out of here. I mean if anyone saw the picture with him and Cam Toney, a high school kid, and their size difference, you wouldn't think he would be able to thrive in a defense where bigger linebackers are needed.

I mean this in a sincere manner. I'm not sure what else EJ is suppose to do other than evauluate the players that are actually there at practice. It certainly wouldn't be right to give Holland a pass and not compare him to the other LBs that have been at every practice working hard.

Players miss practices for an assortment of reasons. They can fall behind because of injuries, classes, personal problems, legal problems or illness. In his case the reason is classes, but EJ still has to evaluate on a daily basis one player vs another as he should.

So absent Gus scheduling the team's practices around Holland's schedule or the Prof scheduling the classes around football practice, Holland would have to have the talent to be one of those players that can miss practices and still overcome it. Some players have more talent than others and can do that, some can not. But EJ can't do anything but evaluate players based on where they are right now. To do less isn't fair to the other players or to the team.

Coach Johnson is now one of my favorites on the new staff. His interviews are great. His knowledge is fantastic.

I mean this in a sincere manner. I'm not sure what else EJ is suppose to do other than evauluate the players that are actually there at practice. It certainly wouldn't be right to give Holland a pass and not compare him to the other LBs that have been at every practice working hard.

Players miss practices for an assortment of reasons whether it be injuries, classes, personal problems, legal problems, etc and they can fall behind for any of those reasons. In this case the reason is classes, but EJ still has to evaluate one player against another as of today as he should.

I suppose Gus could have scheduled the team's practices around Holland's schedule or the Prof could have scheduled the classes around football practice so then Holland wouldn't miss any practices. Absent that, Holland would have to have the talent to be one of those players that can miss practices and still overcome it. Some players have more talent than others and can overcome absences, some can not. But EJ can't do anything but evaluate players based on where they are right now. To do less isn't fair to the other players or the team.

spring is important but it is spring. i'm guessing fall class schedules will be different + being a SR he is probably zeroing in on graduating and is being sure to get what he needs now because there is no later.

Ok. 2 cents on practice today in chain of conciousness style: I still see no obvious difference in QBs. I really like Melvin Ray and I think Coates is running some sharp routes. I think the walkon Spriggs will get a lot of playing time on ADay. The DBs are the strongest part of our team right now (they turned their heads today but still are a little grabby for my liking, but I can tell how athletic they are.) It was great seeing Mason out there. Think special teams are strong. Gus set the team up for a "bad practice" wed after the break and the heavy lifting lately...today seemed to build them back up a bit (granted it was cooler). I liked the oline vs feline drills. EJ is in the dline's face about hand placement, where thu come through in the gaps, etc which is a far cry from the "get upfield and hope something good happens" atmosphere that I seemed to see so much last year. I really like our Secondary coaches. D Craig is skinnier than I remembered from years gone by. We are getting better. Enough to compete against the "big boys?" Not yet, but I see the process.

Teachers teach,coaches coach. Unless Coach Johnson teaches 401 English,he's telling you what he thinks. Would you rather him lie...and be politically correct, where he doesn't hurt your feelings? Or would you like to know what he really thinks? Let people talk,man. And he is not hired to "teach" anything but football. We pay PROFESSORS for that.

I don't trust those depth charts from p. 1, except for the OL. I'm very eager to see how we are at DB. And I freaking LOVE Therezie's potential -- I thought we could see that last year.

I'd like to know what's up with the Holland situation. Typically football players can schedule around things. But you never know if there's an upper-level requirement that's costing him. Moreover, Johnson may have decided he's not the guy. Let's face it, Johnson has no past relationship with Holland. If younger guys are just as good or better, they've gotta play.

Players miss practices for an assortment of reasons whether it be injuries, classes, personal problems, legal problems, etc and they can fall behind for any of those reasons. In this case the reason is classes, but EJ still has to evaluate one player against another as of today as he should.

I suppose Gus could have scheduled the team's practices around Holland's schedule or the Prof could have scheduled the classes around football practice so then Holland wouldn't miss any practices. Absent that, Holland would have to have the talent to be one of those players that can miss practices and still overcome it. Some players have more talent than others and can overcome absences, some can not. But EJ can't do anything but evaluate players based on where they are right now. To do less isn't fair to the other players or the team.

spring is important but it is spring. i'm guessing fall class schedules will be different + being a SR he is probably zeroing in on graduating and is being sure to get what he needs now because there is no later.

It's his choice and nobody can fault him for that either. Jake has to do what he has to do. The other LBs and EJ have to do the same, then play the cards they are dealt. That's how players move up and down the depth chart. It's just the way it is.

It's his choice and nobody can fault him for that either. Jake has to do what he has to do. The other LBs and EJ have to do the same, then play the cards they are dealt. That's how players move up and down the depth chart. It's just the way it is.

agree.

Ok. 2 cents on practice today in chain of conciousness style: I still see no obvious difference in QBs. I really like Melvin Ray and I think Coates is running some sharp routes. I think the walkon Spriggs will get a lot of playing time on ADay. The DBs are the strongest part of our team right now (they turned their heads today but still are a little grabby for my liking, but I can tell how athletic they are.) It was great seeing Mason out there. Think special teams are strong. Gus set the team up for a "bad practice" wed after the break and the heavy lifting lately...today seemed to build them back up a bit (granted it was cooler). I liked the oline vs feline drills. EJ is in the dline's face about hand placement, where thu come through in the gaps, etc which is a far cry from the "get upfield and hope something good happens" atmosphere that I seemed to see so much last year. I really like our Secondary coaches. D Craig is skinnier than I remembered from years gone by. We are getting better. Enough to compete against the "big boys?" Not yet, but I see the process.

I really look forward to your first person reports from practice. It is much appreciated.

couple of questions,how close Frost to seeing playing time,and how is Payne looking? I think with all I have read about EJ and practices this defense will grow by leaps and bounds compared to 2012. What say you? With no clear separation at the quarterback position, Marshall has a legit chance to come in and win the starting job.

I think if there is one player who really needs to be there during the spring fundamentals, it's Holland. He has potential to do well in this defense, but he got burned and missed way too many tackles last year. I hope he doesn't think that he has a starting position locked down, because everyone seems to be hungry for a starting role. I'm not saying he can't be a good SEC linebacker, but he has a long way to go and needs these practices. Classes come first, of course, but I think it puts him behind the others going into the fall.

I enjoyed your post. Thanks

I enjoyed your post. Thanks

The only problem with this quote is, I am pretty sure D Craig can play at the weight he is at now, he should be outstanding as always!! :bow:

Archived