2013 Spring Practice - Day 10

RunInRed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JaViere Mitchell is still out for Auburn. Angelo Blackson and Devonte Danzey return

1st team OL same: Robinson-Kozan-Dismukes-Slade-Miller

Demetruce McNeal was back working the first team boundary safety

Robenson Therezie was still second team star safety with Mitchell out

1st team DL: Ford-Wright-Whitaker-Eguae. 2nd team DL: Blackson-President, missed third on first glance

Punt returners were Chris Davis, Quan Bray, Robenson Therezie, Jonathon Mincy, Josh Holsey, didn't see Trovon Reed on punts

Kick returners included: Josh Holsey, Corey Grant, Ricardo Louis, Tre Mason, Chris Davis, Jonathan Jones

@JamesCrapea

Saw one period of team drill this morning. Kiehl Frazier was first quarterback, Jonathan Wallace second.

Tre Mason (leg injury) caught a couple passes in RB/QB drills. Most action he's had in a while. Looks like he's making his way back.

For first time (media has seen) this spring, D linemen and O linemen worked together on blocking drills. Will have video up shortly.

@AUBlog

Today was Kiehl Frazier's day to be 1st-team QB. (Wallace's was Wednesday.) First-team pace WRs were Denson and Reed, with Fulse in slot.

1st-team D: Ford-Carter DEs, Whitaker-Wright DTs, Frost-McKinzy LBs, Mincy-Davis CBs, Whitehead-McNeal safeties, Garrett star.

2nd-team D: Delaine-Sanders DEs, Bradley-Niles DTs, Landrum-Owens LBs, Jones-Holsey CBs, Smith-Fisher safeties, Therezie star.

We're still looking at Robinson-Kozan-Dismukes-Slade-Miller with the ones. Kozan vs. Diamond at LG looks likes the best O-line battle.

2nd-team skill: Louis-Coates WRs, Ray slot, Lymon RB, Wallace QB. OL: Coleman-Danzey-Fariyike-Diamond-Callahan.

@wareagleextra

Really impressed with how Shon Coleman looks, appears 100 percent healthy & strong.

Auburn CB signee Kamryn Melton is watching practice today. Also, Rivals250 DE Rashaan Evans and 2015 OL Tyler Carr are here.

@JHokanson

A big group of top prospects were at Auburn's practice Friday morning including...

CB signee Kamryn Melton from Dothan (Ala.) High

4-star LB Rashaan Evans from Auburn (Ala.) High

4-star OT Kendall Baker from Marist in Atlanta, Ga.

DE/TE Hunter Atkinson from West Hall in Oakwood, Ga.

S Christian Campbell from Central in Phenix City, Ala.

2015 ATH Traveon Samuel from Central in Phenix City, Ala.

2015 OT Tyler Carr from Southside in Gadsden, Ala.

http://auburn.247spo...pic/42/18091232 (free content)

Greg Robinson sent out a tweet just now (re: 'chillin') during practice which was quickly deleted ... hmmm? Maybe some one has access to his account b/c it's stated above he's working with the first team OL. Anywho, carry on...

Some good old fashioned OL v DL full speed 1 on 1 drills, love it. Grimes boys v Garner's boys in front of all of them, it doesnt get much better for teaching technique than that. On a side note at about the 3:10 point, I can see a reason why Kozan instead of Diamond may be running with the 1's for now. Diamond ducks his head for some reason and Niles easily beats him on an inside move. You can hear Grimes yelling "head up, head up."

Coleman looks good, and I got more excited about Ken Carter in that video than in 3 years as a DT. He could give us some sold Bret Eddins/Doug Langenfeld hold-the-point-of-attack style DE play.

Coleman looks good, and I got more excited about Ken Carter in that video than in 3 years as a DT. He could give us some sold Bret Eddins/Doug Langenfeld hold-the-point-of-attack style DE play.

Coleman not only looked good physically but he seems to have quick feet and his technique was good too. Very encouraging on Shon and yes, I like that Carter move too. Of course that Carter move was opened up when Owens moved to LB, which also seems to be working out, so right now it's a 2 for 1 deal.

Coleman not only looked good physically but he seems to have quick feet and his technique was good too. Very encouraging on Shon and yes, I like that Carter move too. Of course that Carter move was opened up when Owens moved to LB, which also seems to be working out, so right now it's a 2 for 1 deal.

The thing working against Colemon is he's working at LT behind G-Rob. it might be tuff winning that spot

Several things I noticed in the vid's and pic's....

1. I love the pace. Doesn't matter if it is O, D, Or OL vs. DL drills. It is fast, fast, fast.

2. If the opposing team only puts one DL on the line of scrimmage, we are going to be tough to beat.

3. Gus dressed up for the occasion. I have only seen him wearing gray garb.

Several things I noticed in the vid's and pic's....

1. I love the pace. Doesn't matter if it is O, D, Or OL vs. DL drills. It is fast, fast, fast.

2. If the opposing team only puts one DL on the line of scrimmage, we are going to be tough to beat.

3. Gus dressed up for the occasion. I have only seen him wearing gray garb.

is #2 sarcasm?

Just read tweets that said Javier Mitchel is moving back to will and Therezie is staying star full time.

Yeah, I like the move for Therezie. Not sure what to make of it for Mitchell. Compared to the guys working at LB right now, he's vastly undersized. That can be overcome, but it's another obstacle between him and PT.

BlueVue, you're right about Coleman's current positioning, but keep in mind, there are almost always injuries on the offensive line. Coleman's going to get a chance to play whether he's behind Robinson or not. Also, remember, Coleman is listed as a RS Fr while Robinson is a RS So. If Shon sticks with it, he's going to get his shot.

Yeah, I like the move for Therezie. Not sure what to make of it for Mitchell. Compared to the guys working at LB right now, he's vastly undersized. That can be overcome, but it's another obstacle between him and PT.

BlueVue, you're right about Coleman's current positioning, but keep in mind, there are almost always injuries on the offensive line. Coleman's going to get a chance to play whether he's behind Robinson or not. Also, remember, Coleman is listed as a RS Fr while Robinson is a RS So. If Shon sticks with it, he's going to get his shot.

Im pulling for Shon. his is an unbelievable feel good story. i'd love to see him become an All Conference kind of player

Greg Robinson sent out a tweet just now (re: 'chillin') during practice which was quickly deleted ... hmmm? Maybe some one has access to his account b/c it's stated above he's working with the first team OL. Anywho, carry on...

Probably logged in on someone's computer and forgot to log out.

I'm not hearing much about Sr Jake Holland. With 16 career starts @ Auburn, he's one of the more experienced guys on our D. 11 tackles against Clemson and a half dozen other decent games (relatively speaking) last year. Experience on a 6'1, 240 LB's usually a valuable asset, is he hurt?

Did I miss something or is Holland not on the 2 deep?...not complaining but if true that alone shows questionable coaching last season

Some pics (via @AUAthletics)

541463_10151546609979894_1519759668_n.jpg

Kiehl Frazier

382976_10151546609984894_1943702162_n.jpg

Jonathan Wallace

559603_10151546610104894_1624814331_n.jpg

Melvin Ray

64120_10151546610264894_1771125423_n.jpg

Brandon Fulse, Melvin Ray

482801_10151546610464894_589188389_n.jpg

Melvin Ray

558734_10151546610699894_58301357_n.jpg

Ricardo Louis

564742_10151546610804894_1704774862_n.jpg

Coach Rhett Lashlee, Coach Kodi Burns

555804_10151546610929894_1470098873_n.jpg

Quan Bray

66747_10151546611739894_1851359226_n.jpg

Sammie Coates

540147_10151546611444894_452709611_n.jpg

Jaylon Denson, Mark White

563082_10151546611064894_1970454410_n.jpg

Coach Kodi Burns

532145_10151546611204894_499979050_n.jpg

Coach Dameyune Craig

557881_10151546610149894_487995286_n.jpg

Jonathan Jones

536926_10151546610914894_1443501762_n.jpg

Chris Davis

555966_10151546611319894_114222552_n.jpg

LaDarius Owens

550348_10151546612399894_1305800850_n.jpg

Craig Sanders

559779_10151546611819894_327448695_n.jpg

Coach Gus Malzahn

Recapping post-practice news and notes...

OC Rhett Lashlee said, "we got better today." Tigers struggled on Wednesday.

Lashlee said "at times" they see flashes of what the 'O' should look like. The players are understanding the tempo, execution needs work.

Lashlee praised center Reese Dismukes and his spring camp so far: "He's the guy I hear being vocal. That's a guy I can trust."

Lashlee said he wants more from his skill players in Saturday's scrimmage: "We need to make some wow plays."

The move of Robenson Therezie to "star" is drawing solid reviews. He's a physical player that it appears, fits perfectly at safety/LB'er.

Ellis Johnson said Kenneth Carter is getting work at DE, showed good technique as an outside pass rusher.

Johnson on Justin Garrett and Robenson Therezie: "They're as quick and fast as any player that I've had at that hybird."

@JHokanson

Ellis Johnson said defense introduced some sliding schemes with three-man fronts: "We try to get 1 of our ends to become an outside backer."

EJ on which DE can slide to OLB: "It would have to be Dee Ford, just because he's had the most reps as a defensive end in a four-man front."

EJ said Ken Carter is starting DE right now: "I don't know that he's a natural end, but he's doing pretty well out there."

Johnson said Carter doesn't have a natural burst with his first step, pass rushing is "not his forte." But he's sturdy against the run.

EJ on DTs: "Jeff Whitaker has been the most consistent tackle. He's kind of moved up to No. 1." 3-man rotation w/ Whitaker/Blackson/Wright.

Johnson: "I think our corners is probably the most pleasing position." Also said Justin Garrett has been best player since spring's start.

Johnson said Blackson hasn't had more than 15 practices live reps this spring.

EJ on Blackson: It's frustrating when 1 of your players you feel is going to be a key element gets hurt and can not practice.

Johnson said Jake Holland's class schedule has forced him to miss meetings and practice times, hindered progress this spring.

EJ said classes are important, but "when the game is over on Saturday, nobody asks you what classes your were at the week before."

Johnson said JaViere Mitchell has moved inside to linebacker. Unlike Justin Garrett, he wasn't comfortable at star.

EJ said cornerback didn't come natural for Robenson Therezie. Therezie was moved to star, and "he fits it perfect."

Johnson said cohesion between him and Lashlee has been great: "We work together a lot. ... His knowledge of offense is excellent."

Ellis Johnson said he's enjoyed transition back to being a coordinator:"It's been pretty easy." Says it's helped bringing his 4-2-5 system.

EJ said it's been "shot in the arm" to focus on just D. As a head coach, he only immersed himself in kicking game. Everything else was CEO.

Johnson: "The safety position in our defense is not easy. ... It's a very tough position to play mentally."

@AUBlog

Did I miss something or is Holland not on the 2 deep?...not complaining but if true that alone shows questionable coaching last season

Evidently, he had classes. Seems they would be able to schedule around practice ... :gofig:

I love the detail answers coach Johnson gives about players and schemes...its a breath of fresh air from the previous :ucrazy:

Archived