why does auburn not ever try to play ga tech?

aubiefifty

I hope and pray we never play the bastards

:laugh: It sure didn't take you long to chime in on this. When I saw the topic I knew you would veto it.

I don't have the disdain for Tech that Golf has. I remember some great games with Tech growing up ("Tillman in the back of the end zone TOUCHDOWN AUBURN, TOCHDOWN AUBURN" is my favorite.). We played them back under Coach Tub. They beat us twice in a row, if I remember correctly. The style Tech plays now is unlike anybody else we will play. I would rather play a team that our D could get some experience to help them later in the year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing i want is for auburn to play anyone anytine anywhere{within reason}. i still catch grief from fsu fans saying we were chicken to play them after the bowden stuff. i understand tubs decision not to play them but its still hard to defend us paying them a mil to get out of playing them...........

My FSU buddies gave me grief for a while. They stopped when I continuously pointed out that they could have played us every year......Instead, they decided to play football in a basketball conference.

Prior to the last 2 more recent games, Tech was like 0 - 10 vs Auburn. Now folks are scared to play an average at best ACC team ?

Sad.

Good lord.....That's not the reason I hate Tech and do not want to play. They don't deserve to play us or anyone else in the SEC.

:laugh:/> It sure didn't take you long to chime in on this. When I saw the topic I knew you would veto it.

I don't have the disdain for Tech that Golf has. I remember some great games with Tech growing up ("Tillman in the back of the end zone TOUCHDOWN AUBURN, TOCHDOWN AUBURN" is my favorite.). We played them back under Coach Tub. They beat us twice in a row, if I remember correctly. The style Tech plays now is unlike anybody else we will play. I would rather play a team that our D could get some experience to help them later in the year.

I was there at that god forsaken thing they call a stadium. Great game...

I may be wrong on this but I want to say Reggie Ball wanted to come to AU but we didn't recruit him. The same with David Green from UGA. Can anyone refresh my memory on these two?

I may be wrong on this but I want to say Reggie Ball wanted to come to AU but we didn't recruit him. The same with David Green from UGA. Can anyone refresh my memory on these two?

Don't know about R. Ball, but as for Greene, both AU and uga had Jason Campbell as their #1 priority (and rightfully so). AU won that recruiting battle and Greene signed with uga. People that also like to say AU missed on P. Rivers (he was in that same recruiting class). If AU has passed on Jason Campbell to sign either David Greene or P Rivers when they were coming out of HS, Tuberville would have been torn to shreds (and rightfully so).

wde

Reggie Ball was recruited by Auburn and was apparently waiting for one more call from the coaches to tell them he would commit. That call never came and while during the time he was beating us it seemed like we blew it on that one, in the big picture I would say Auburn made the right decision by sticking with Campbell.

Reggie Ball was recruited by Auburn and was apparently waiting for one more call from the coaches to tell them he would commit. That call never came and while during the time he was beating us it seemed like we blew it on that one, in the big picture I would say Auburn made the right decision by sticking with Campbell.

I don't know....in hindsight I wouldn't have minded having Greene. He won a lot of games @ UGA. Glad we had Campbell and he might have won more early on under different circumstances.

10 4 on Grant field is a dump !

Our old timers story for the day, I remember double headers @ Legion Field.

One year, BamR played UT and us the insects. Both had their little cars running around outside

before the game full of cheerleaders etc. I thought, how nice, hope they have a head on !

I remember we won.

WD ( Old ) Eagle

10 4 on Grant field is a dump !Our old timers story for the day, I remember double headers @ Legion Field.One year, BamR played UT and us the insects. Both had their little cars running around outsidebefore the game full of cheerleaders etc. I thought, how nice, hope they have a head on !I remember we won.WD ( Old ) Eagle

I saw both games and also saw one year when we played UT and the turds played LSU. We upset the unbeaten Vols 28-14 in Birmingham. Halfback Mike Currier from Oneonta scored on three of his first four plays in the game2kz76.jpg

I don't know....in hindsight I wouldn't have minded having Greene. He won a lot of games @ UGA. Glad we had Campbell and he might have won more early on under different circumstances.

I can't argue with that. Greene outperformed Campbell no question if you compare their first 3 seasons. I believe Greene has 2nd most wins in NCAA history? Am I off base with that?

I didn't read the whole thread but I will say GT has some of the most obnoxious fans I've been around.

Was Shirley a Phi Mu too ?

Phi Mu,

Phi Mu,

It's off to..... Well nevermind....

I heard it a different way...

I didn't read the whole thread but I will say GT has some of the most obnoxious fans I've been around.

Well if my brother in law is any example you are spot on.

I worked with a bunch of them and you can't imagine.

Obnoxious weenies with clip on ties and plastic pocket protectors, " and just a little bit, unusual. "

they used to be a huge rival and i can still remember some of the wreck tech parades. i remember turning my head to watch a football player dressed up like a woman walk by and while i was distracted a dang tuba player snuck up and blasted his tuba in my ear. talk about dang near dotting your britches. anywa how much fun would it be to see new wreck tech parades and all that went on with it? man we fought some super hard games with them boys. i remember one of those games rocker became an aubuirn legend! anyone got any thoughts?

I'd love it if we started playing them again every year.

Well if my brother in law is any example you are spot on.

I was at a Tech vs Auburn game once and stood up when Auburn scored a TD and a drunk Tech fan threw a piece of ice and hit me in the back of the head. We had a little talk face to face and he didn't feel compelled to do that again the rest of the game and, on that day, I stood up early and often because Auburn won the game handily.

47-41-4

Golf I think you are a little off on our wins. I only see 42 but it's still one more than Tech has. Below is a great site to check on anybody and who they played, won, lost etc. Most of our losses to them came prior to 1955. In the 40s and early 50's they did own us but things changed when Shug came on board. Since 1955 we are 22-11-1 against them. I really like your numbers better. ;D

http://football.stassen.com/records/opponent.html

47-41-4

Golf I think you are a little off on our wins. I only see 42 but it's still one more than Tech has. Below is a great site to check on anybody and who they played, won, lost etc. Most of our losses to them came prior to 1955. In the 40s and early 50's they did own us but things changed when Shug came on board. Since 1955 we are 22-11-1 against them. I really like your numbers better. ;D

http://football.stas...s/opponent.html

Well we deserve those extra wins imo.....

I definitely wouldn't mind because clearly it's a good "fit" for both schools, but there are a lot of other out of conference teams I'd like to play from time to time as well. Although I completely agree with and understand the reasoning for our out of conference scheduling, I do admit I get tired of playing the Washington State's and Arky States of the world 3-4 times a year.

I would be careful talking crap against WaSt. They are not the same team we beat 63-0 in 2004 (I didnt check this but I think I am correct). Leach is in his second season and, honestly, is not a team you want to play game 1 with a coaching change. I look for our first game to be a lot closer than we want to beleive. I still do not beleive we lose the game, but I completely beleive we are going to burn out some bulbs on the scoreboard.

+1

Archived