2013 Spring Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

I don't know that I see Marshall having any leg up over Frazier, except for Frazier needing to lose a bit more weight. I expect a spirited QB competition through at least the first two weeks of fall practice...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to the day when Auburn has a solid, consistant starter and we don't have to worry about who the QB will be. All we'll be concerned with is how the "backup" QB is developing and progressing. (I envy a few other SEC programs that have stability at the key positions.)

I think JJ will be our first good chance at that. I think he red-shirts this year and takes over the reigns from NM as a red-shirt-sophomore in 2015.

+1

Too early to make info-based QB conclusions. To those predicting Marshall will be the Man, remember his issues in JC? Right, turnovers. Read again what Gus dressed down the other 2 QBs about in this practice in front of the entire team. Right, not protecting the ball. Marshall's main weakness may be a Gus pet-peeve. In any event, conclusions that ANY of these guys have an advantage at this point are way, way premature.

Marshal was on a jc team with no weapons around him...when your losing and have no weapons your gonna throw some picks

Too early to make info-based QB conclusions. To those predicting Marshall will be the Man, remember his issues in JC? Right, turnovers. Read again what Gus dressed down the other 2 QBs about in this practice in front of the entire team. Right, not protecting the ball. Marshall's main weakness may be a Gus pet-peeve. In any event, conclusions that ANY of these guys have an advantage at this point are way, way premature.

Marshal was on a jc team with no weapons around him...when your losing and have no weapons your gonna throw some picks

that's the case for everyone but KF, right?

I dont think no one wants KF to struggle at all like he did last yr, but everyone saw how scared he looked when he was in the game. It was all like he was unsure of himself, there was no take charge or any kind of fire in him at all. JW showed the will to compete and was not afraid of the moment at all. Im not rooting against KF and I hope no one else is either. Its just that sometimes some players dont do so well in bigtime football Imo. Hopefully he turns it around, but judgeing from reports of practice he's not adjusting to college fb just yet. Which is y im guessing NM wins the job

that's the case for everyone but KF, right?

The same thought occurred to me but here's the difference. NM put together 36 TDs...18 passing and 18 running. Yes indeed, he threw 19 INTs but I believe the team was squarely on his back, so to speak, and he forced some things he would not have had he the luxury of a little more talent around him. I don't think KF was ever expected to carry the team...do you? The level of play is entirely different between JUCO and SEC, so, the jury will out until NM shows what he can do but lately we've seen some perfomances at the QB position I hope we don't see again this season.

As Gus said recently, it is hard to completely evaluate a QB if the people around him aren't in the right place and doing their job. That is why it is easy to misread last year's cluster fiasco. I am more interested in the OL protection, WRs making precise routes, RBs blocking, etc than I am in who the QB will be. If we dont improve the surrounding cast from last year, it is not going to matter which QB runs the show and that includes NM and JJ. Conversely, if those areas are improved, all the QBs will play better.

One thing I do know is that we need to get the QB position solidified at Auburn once and for all because the rest of the team is working very hard to up their game. We cannot afford for them to get demoralized because of poor QB play and begin thinking all that hard work was for nothing. We need to build off that hard work.

As Gus said recently, it is hard to completely evaluate a QB if the people around him aren't in the right place and doing their job. That is why it is easy to misread last year's cluster fiasco. I am more interested in the OL protection, WRs making precise routes, RBs blocking, etc than I am in who the QB will be. If we dont improve the surrounding cast from last year, it is not going to matter which QB runs the show and that includes NM and JJ. Conversely, if those areas are improved, all the QBs will play better.

One thing I do know is that we need to get the QB position solidified at Auburn once and for all because the rest of the team is working very hard to up their game. We cannot afford for them to get demoralized because of poor QB play and begin thinking all that hard work was for nothing. We need to build off that hard work.

Spot on and I agree. There is one thing that is not on the rest of the team. That's consistently making accurate throws to wide open receivers. That's entirely on the QBs and last year they struggled mightily with that.

Spot on and I agree. There is one thing that is not on the rest of the team. That's consistently making accurate throws to wide open receivers. That's entirely on the QBs and last year they struggled mightily with that.

I agree, accuracy to an open receiver is on them.

I dont think no one wants KF to struggle at all like he did last yr, but everyone saw how scared he looked when he was in the game. It was all like he was unsure of himself, there was no take charge or any kind of fire in him at all. JW showed the will to compete and was not afraid of the moment at all. Im not rooting against KF and I hope no one else is either. Its just that sometimes some players dont do so well in bigtime football Imo. Hopefully he turns it around, but judgeing from reports of practice he's not adjusting to college fb just yet. Which is y im guessing NM wins the job

1,000% agree! You nicely stated how i feel about JW & KF.

Archived