2013 Spring Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it is a beautiful day, why do they pracitice indoors?

Someone told me that Gus moves them inside and outside all the time to keep them moving around as much as possible.

Well the opposition coaching fraternity may just overthink it like this: "Okay, they faked a punt like this and a FG like that in practice, so does that mean they're more or less likely to run the plays they let the public see. It was a trick, they want us to prepare for the wrong trick plays! Or was it?"

Malzahn really looks like Jerod the Subway Guy in that coaching camp poster. But he favors Bette Midler in that angry shot.

A few more pics from Todd Van Emst...

482656_10151543828299894_1376217312_n.jpg

Ben Bradley and Will Adams

72665_10151543828394894_717068557_n.jpg

Melvin Ray

149091_10151543828409894_1018058696_n.jpg

Kiehl Frazier

156542_10151543828424894_1896681925_n.jpg

Jonathan Wallace

561949_10151543828504894_1808693694_n.jpg

Tunde Fariyike, Jordan Diamond, Shon Coleman

564731_10151543828509894_607298655_n.jpg

TJ Davis, Ricardo Louis, Ryan White

537068_10151543828289894_583248936_n.jpg

Gabe Wright, Alex Kozan

602019_10151543828294894_154193299_n.jpg

Jeff Whitaker, Reese Dismukes

I watched practice from beginning to end today. Here are some observations:

The little known facts: The green jerseys just indicate scout players or to detail certain positions during drills. It does not indicate injury status. Indoor and outdoor practice is to keep things moving, space position players out, and to keep knees healthy (indoor turf is awesome).

The good: Justin Garrett was everywhere during the soft scrimmage. CAP and Grant looked very good running the ball. Uzomah and Prosch are every bit as good as advertised. D players appear to know where they are supposed to line up and seem to be a more cohesive unit. OLine looks good as 1st stringers.

The bad: Still no real QBs yet in my opinion. Get the feeling from talking to folks that Marshall is the man. WRs are thin and could be a real struggle. I saw Melvin Ray (who tends to drop some) than everybody else. Bray, Denson, Coates, Reed have to step up.

The ugly: Sluggish practice and Gus said so. Also said that "both of the QBs played lousy and have to protect the football. Both of you!" Oops guess those other two guys are already out. DLine could still be a struggle and for the life of me can't figure out why CBs can't look around for the ball.

I watched practice from beginning to end today. Here are some observations:

The little known facts: The green jerseys just indicate scout players or to detail certain positions during drills. It does not indicate injury status. Indoor and outdoor practice is to keep things moving, space position players out, and to keep knees healthy (indoor turf is awesome).

The good: Justin Garrett was everywhere during the soft scrimmage. CAP and Grant looked very good running the ball. Uzomah and Prosch are every bit as good as advertised. D players appear to know where they are supposed to line up and seem to be a more cohesive unit. Online looks good as 1st stringers.

The bad: Still no real QBs yet in my opinion. Get the feeling from talking to folks that Marshall is the man. WRs are thin and could be a real struggle. I saw Melvin Ray (who tends to drop some) then everybody else. bray, Denson, Coates, Reed have to step up.

The ugly: Sluggish practice and Gus said so. Also said that "both of the QBs played lousy and have to protect the football. both of you!" Oops guess those other two guys are already out. DLine could still be a struggle and for the life of me can't figure out why CBs can't look around for the ball.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully all positions will improve through the rest of the spring.

Nice post. The QB situation still baffles me a bit...

In what way? Were you thinking one of two would have taken a separating step forward by now? The reason why I am asking is that I thought that KF had a distinct advantage over JW going into this spring given his familiarity with the offense and we would be hearing how KF was taking control of the position. That we have not heard this makes me believe either Marshall or JJ have a legitimate chance to start Game 1.

wde

....and for the life of me can't figure out why CBs can't look around for the ball.

STILL???? I was hoping, by some miracle, the coaches would have corrected that deficiency by now.

In what way? Were you thinking one of two would have taken a separating step forward by now? The reason why I am asking is that I thought that KF had a distinct advantage over JW going into this spring given his familiarity with the offense and we would be hearing how KF was taking control of the position. That we have not heard this makes me believe either Marshall or JJ have a legitimate chance to start Game 1.

wde

I don't think it's an issue with offensive familiarity ...the speed of the game is so different im college than high school, and he has not adjusted and based on some may never adjust...also the OC and head coach happen to be perfectionists and highly detail oriented as any coach should be.

wde

Not a legitimate chance, but a Strong chance!! I'll go a step further, from what ive seen of marshall I really believe its his job hands down!!

wde

Not a legitimate chance, but a Strong chance!! I'll go a step further, from what ive seen of marshall I really believe its his job hands down!!

I have believed since Gus recruited and signed Marshall that he was being recruited to be the starting QB. Those that post he was recruited as an athlete and he will likely end up at CB are just delusional or friends of the Frazier/Wallace family. If Marshall ends up at CB it will because he totally blew it in practice and in the film room as a QB. I also believed that KF would likely look good enough in practice to start the 1st few games as QB, because Marshall would not go through spring practice. I totally believe that if the team is going to win 6 or more games in 2013, NM or JJ will be the starter for the majority of the season. Please don't think what I just posted means that I will root against KF or JW if they are the starter. I never root against an AU player.

wde

How would you like to be a tough old offensive line coach and have the likes of a Diamond, Coleman and Young all on your second team ? He has to be loving this opportunity.

I forsee one or 2 other O-linemen transferring out before its all said and done. Too much talent grouped in and around the same year classification, IMO.

I forsee one or 2 other O-linemen transferring out before its all said and done. Too much talent grouped in and around the same year classification, IMO.

Wow is that optimistic. I am pretty sure you have to show your wares in SEC play before you get your due. Talent, sure we have it. Seen it, nope not at all. Every spot is up for grabs. Oh, and we are also going to recruit next years as well. That might run some off as well. It is stacked because last year our O line was high school. We will see about this year.

Wow is that optimistic. I am pretty sure you have to show your wares in SEC play before you get your due. Talent, sure we have it. Seen it, nope not at all. Every spot is up for grabs. Oh, and we are also going to recruit next years as well. That might run some off as well. It is stacked because last year our O line was high school. We will see about this year.

That plus,

1. in a HUNH, these big O linemen are going to need a breather.

2. if your 2nd line is almost as good as the first, you really have an advantage.

3. you can rotate more often without much fall off.

4. rarely are you going to get thru a season without injuries.

....and for the life of me can't figure out why CBs can't look around for the ball.

STILL???? I was hoping, by some miracle, the coaches would have corrected that deficiency by now.

Hard to undo years of bad coaching habits in a short period of time. As long as the coaches are doing things everyday to re-teach proper techniques...i think the CBs and other positions will get there but i don't expect it to really kick in until middle of the season. I think we are going to see some episodes of play from last year esp. when getting into tight games..guys tend to revert back to bad habits. As long as we are improving week to week...game to game...I'll be happy.

wde

I have believed since Gus recruited and signed Marshall that he was being recruited to be the starting QB. Those that post he was recruited as an athlete and he will likely end up at CB are just delusional or friends of the Frazier/Wallace family. If Marshall ends up at CB it will because he totally blew it in practice and in the film room as a QB. I also believed that KF would likely look good enough in practice to start the 1st few games as QB, because Marshall would not go through spring practice. I totally believe that if the team is going to win 6 or more games in 2013, NM or JJ will be the starter for the majority of the season. Please don't think what I just posted means that I will root against KF or JW if they are the starter. I never root against an AU player.

wde

100% agree. If JW or KF start...I give either 4 games as a starter tops before NM starts...if he doesn't start game 1.

Too early to make info-based QB conclusions. To those predicting Marshall will be the Man, remember his issues in JC? Right, turnovers. Read again what Gus dressed down the other 2 QBs about in this practice in front of the entire team. Right, not protecting the ball. Marshall's main weakness may be a Gus pet-peeve. In any event, conclusions that ANY of these guys have an advantage at this point are way, way premature.

I look forward to the day when Auburn has a solid, consistant starter and we don't have to worry about who the QB will be. All we'll be concerned with is how the "backup" QB is developing and progressing. (I envy a few other SEC programs that have stability at the key positions.)

I look forward to the day when Auburn has a solid, consistant starter and we don't have to worry about who the QB will be. All we'll be concerned with is how the "backup" QB is developing and progressing. (I envy a few other SEC programs that have stability at the key positions.)

I think JJ will be our first good chance at that. I think he red-shirts this year and takes over the reigns from NM as a red-shirt-sophomore in 2015.

Archived