2013 Spring Practice - Day 4

RunInRed

Biggest takeaway this morning: it rained overnight, it's hot & humid, linemen are gasping for air. Garner, Grimes will not tolerate fatigue.

Auburn OL coach J.B. Grimes is HOT today. Drill sergeant. Taking his interior linemen - especially 2nd unit - to the cleaners this morning.

@wareagleextra

Auburn Offense ready for team drills at Monday morning's practice.

BGxXGYJCIAEjw8_.jpg

@AUBlog

• Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee is more than a quarterbacks coach. As media left the field Monday morning, Lashlee instructed receivers on proper footwork with bubble screen passes.

• When Auburn went to punt return drills, special teams coordinator Scott Fountain called out Trovon Reed, Quan Bray, Jonathon Mincy and Jonathan Jones to be punt returners.

• Working at kick returner were Tre Mason, Josh Holsey, Jonathan Jones, Ricardo Louis and Corey Grant.

Read more: http://www.oanow.com...19bb30f31a.html

Cameron Artis-Payne warming up

fa603fa89acf11e28b3522000a1f9867_7.jpg

All three running backs -- Tre Mason, Corey Grant and Cameron Artis-Payne -- took screen passes out of the backfield.

On the offensive line, the groups have been the same in every practice so far. Robinson, Diamond, Dismukes, Slade, Miller

In a ball pursuit drill, thought I saw Ryan Smith line up at the start on one snap. ... T.J. Davis and Trent Fisher were safeties

@JoelAEricksonAU

There were several recruits at Auburn's practice this morning including 3-star tight end Chris Laye from Lambert in Suwanee, Ga., 3-star offensive guard Jake Edwards from Heard County in Franklin, Ga., and 3-star safety Tez Parks from Callaway in Hogansville, Ga.

Defensive end signee Elijah Daniel was there again.

http://auburn.247spo...ning-17865479/1 (free content)

I certainly like the level of preparation from the coaching staff through the team.

Time to move back to the adults table. They look hungry again.

Good Lord, Jay Prosch is a monster!!! I feel really sorry for whoever has the misfortune of being in his way this fall. Juggernaut will not be stopped!!!

Oh my on Prosch. That's just a big dude.

+++

imagine an OG pulling down the line and taking out the first defender. The 2nd level guy thinks he has a clear shot and then BOOM happens. Instead of stars, the number 35 is all he sees.

Post-practice notes...

BGxnWDnCIAAuTDh.jpg

Via @AubOrange

Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn said one big difference Monday was no tackling at the end, which team did Saturday.

Malzahn: "We were going at a very fast pace. There were mistakes. It was pretty much offensively and defensively what we thought."

Malzahn: "It takes a little bit of time with the offensive line. We're mixing and matching."

Malzahn: "It's really not quite natural yet for them to play, but we're counting on them about practice 6 or 7" getting comfortable.

Malzahn on Jordan Diamond in pads: "He's got a lot of ability. He's a big guy." He's pleased with Diamond's flexibility, moving from T to G.

Malzahn pleased with QB work ethic: "Our quarterbacks are definitely spending some extra time, and that's to be expected."

Malzahn on C Reese Dismukes being more vocal: "He's the leader up front. He's got the most experience. Those guys will listen to him."

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn says Auburn improved in practice

Malzahn on receivers: "Young guys, especially guys who haven't been in this offense before, it takes some time."

Malzahn says Melvin Ray's a "big, athletic guy"

Malzahn says Auburn will try to be as specific as possible with keeping players in the positions.

Malzahn says Auburn's seniors have really taken over the leadership of the team. He's very encouraged by it.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Gus Malzahn says today's practice was similar to Saturday just without tackling

Malzahn says quarterbacks and seniors have spent more time than most. "They want it to be a new day adn they're gradually taking charge"

@AUAuthority

Gus Malzahn on line coaches J.B. Grimes and Rodney Garner: "Those two guys are as good as teachers as anybody in the game."

@bmarcello

Player interviews ...

Ladarius Owens said he's wanted to return to playing LB for two years. He weighs 243 now.

Owens: "I want to compete. My goal is to get better and more comfortable and compete for a starting job."

Sophomore WR Ricardo Louis says he's ready to make an impact: pic.twitter.com/hsWd5np3qD

BGxvBvQCYAE5hIH.jpg

@JHokanson

LaDarius Owens on calling signals at Mike: "It's going well for me. I feel like ever since I've been here I've been not a shy guy.

Owens: "Coach Johnson is a good teacher. He made it make sense. So even though it's called a 4-2-5, it's basically a 4-3 with the star."

Justin Garrett -- one of the guys in the running for the 4-2-5's "star" position. pic.twitter.com/0FjYUKGkvq

BGxwKjBCAAAB_bF.jpg

Garrett said as soon as Auburn hired Johnson and he heard about the 4-2-5, he thought it would be a perfect position for him.

@AubOrange

LaDarius Owens on transition from DE to LB: "I thought it would be easier to gain weight than lose, so I dropped 15 pounds." He's at 243

Owens asked how long he's wanted to be at linebacker: "Honestly, probably for like, 2 years." So, the whole time he was at DE.

Owens: "Even though we call it a 4-2-5, the star is just like another linebacker, so we all fit in together."

Owens said Jake Holland experience helps, especially in coverage: "If I need to know where to be or how to do this or where to put my eyes"

Owens on his goals: "I didn't move to linebacker to watch. I came to compete."

WR Ricardo Louis: "First thing that popped into my head with this offense was, fast. Everything's fast-paced."

Louis on being a vertical threat: "I think I can do that with my speed, the way I run routes."

Louis said he's doing more return work this spring at kick return.

Shon Coleman said he is 100 percent healthy, fully recovered from surviving leukemia. His focus is squarely on the field.

Coleman said he's only played left tackle, behind Greg Robinson. No thought to playing right tackle, but didn't rule it out either.

Not to oversimplify, but Justin Garrett said the "Star" position will usually play as a LB against pro offense and safety against spread.

Alex Kozan has moved to center after always playing guard. Kozan told him coaches said his "intelligence" was reason for the switch.

Avery Young said he was injured before last season, played through it the first 3 games. After 3 games, had to get shoulder surgery.

Avery Young said he expects to be a redshirt freshman. Paperwork currently being processed, according to Auburn spokesman.

@AUBlog

It sounds like Garner and Grimes were chewing some a** today. Aaron Brenner at WarEagleExtra said Coach Grimes took Kozan to the cleaners for poor blocking technique on a drill. Then on the 5 man sled he made Kozan, Danzey and Fariyike do a drill 3 times in a row to make them block lower. Love it.

link: http://www.wareaglee...monday-fatigue/

Thanks for all of the great info in this thread!! I also love to see/hear about Grimes and Garner taking no prisoners.

wde

As everyone has been saying, thanks for the updates RIR - very much appreciated. Needed this after the way last season went. I know we're just learning, but it really does feel like a totally different attitude than last year already.

Good to see Lashlee working on the dip in KF's throwing motion. Noticed that dip on day 1 or 2 videos. It's likely the cause of many of his overthrows last year, though I wasn't looking for it then. Wallace has a really good throwing motion (no dip, ball stays high, quick) and that will help him be more accurate. It's going to be interesting to see who comes out on top in the QB battle this spring, though they may delay naming a starter until Marshall gets on campus.

Archived