2013 Spring Practice - Day 3

around4ever

Boy I hope we can move the ball on first down....that could be the fastest 3 and out in history.

Trust me the plays will b confusing to defenses

I was around here in 2011.....the D wasn't always confused. We will need some good QB play to make this quick tempo pay off. Just sayin.

And so was Chizik ....ijs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy I hope we can move the ball on first down....that could be the fastest 3 and out in history.

I was around here in 2011.....the D wasn't always confused. We will need some good QB play to make this quick tempo pay off. Just sayin.

I agree 1000%, but chiz held malzahn back. I was at the miss st game and when gus had us up by 14 in the 4th , u could see the frustration on malzahns face when he gave a hard stern look at chiz and roof when the D gave up 14 quick points!! I knew then that gus should have been our head coach instead of chiz!

I agree 1000%, but chiz held malzahn back. I was at the miss st game and when gus had us up by 14 in the 4th , u could see the frustration on malzahns face when he gave a hard stern look at chiz and roof when the D gave up 14 quick points!! I knew then that gus should have been our head coach instead of chiz!

I hear you but there were a lot of plays when it was 4th and 13 and the O was back off the field in about a minute. The D couldn't handle that quick turnaround....and I don't necessarily blame Chiz for trying to get the game under control. The O and D have to be compatible or you get what we likely had last year which was each side blaming the other when things went wrong. The fast paced game better be able to control the ball...especially for the first series when it takes over.

I hear you but there were a lot of plays when it was 4th and 13 and the O was back off the field in about a minute. The D couldn't handle that quick turnaround....and I don't necessarily blame Chiz for trying to get the game under control. The O and D have to be compatible or you get what we likely had last year which was each side blaming the other when things went wrong. The fast paced game better be able to control the ball...especially for the first series when it takes over.

Last yr we were very predictable and on D we were playing cover 2, and i dont want to talk about that defense.

Some news, notes, quotes ...

If you live in the Jordan-Hare Stadium neighborhood, you're probably hearing Gus Malzahn's booming voice all morning announcing new drills.

- At the tail end of the media’s viewing window, we saw the first 11-on-11 hurry-up drill. While it’s been well-documented these mean very little, the first units remained the same as previously reported … while keeping in mind Kiehl Frazier and Jonathan Wallace are swapping chances with the first unit.

- This 11-on-11 drill including some physical contact, mainly in the tackle box. Nothing outside, nobody lighting up any receivers or anything.

- Every coach was somewhere inside the sidelines coaching up the drill, obviously keeping a supersonic tempo. Primarily, it was Gus Malzahn right on top of the quarterback and overall offense, making calls and keeping the pace.

Read more: http://www.wareaglee...-practice-no-3/

@wareagleextra

FWIW, coaches say it's random, but in open media windows so far Kiehl Frazier has consistently been ahead of Jonathan Wallace. Still early.

First offensive line was same it's been all week: RT Patrick Miller, RG Chad Slade, C Reese Dismukes, LG Jordan Diamond, LT Greg Robinson.

Also looks like coaches have settled on looking at Steven Clark to back up Ryan White as PK holder. That's not uncommon for a punter.

Those working at returner Saturday morning included Robenson Therezie, Chris Davis and Quan Bray.

Auburn has had Forrest Hill as first deep snapper, with Jake Lembke behind him.

QB Kiehl Frazier said he feels like he's been given a second chance with coaching change, and he's ready to make most of it.

Frazier said he's shed about 10 pounds since Gus Malzahn arrived in December, and he feels faster on the field.

Frazier admitted he struggled last year, was adamant confidence is unshaken. He said he sees Cam Newton 2-3 times/week, and it's uplifting.

Frazier said he never gave any thought about transferring, even with how last season went. When he committed, he said he committed 4 years.

OL Jordan Diamond said the transition to guard from tackle has been fine. After redshirting last fall, Diamond just wants to play.

QB Jonathan Wallace said he has to fit the system, not the other way around. That's been his mindset when returning to the spread.

And finally, this dandy from Gus Malzahn. Asked if anybody stood out on Day 1 with pads: "No, zero."

@AUBlog

Yea I live right by the stadium but I was dead asleep haha

Moving the chains was probably the least of their concerns in those drills.

I agree. It was the same play over and over. During the game the QB will have look at the sidelines to get the play. I think that is just a drill to work on getting lined up in a hurry. To quote Gus, "pace, pace, pace".

This hurry up offense is like the little girl with the curl: When it's good it's very very good and when it's bad it's horrid. Thinking back to Kentucky of 2009. And no, try as you might there is no way to blame Chizik for that one. The offense didn't click and we lost to Kentucky.

I expect this to be better with Gus in full control, but we should all remember that when this thing gets stopped, it's not pretty. Ask Oregon how they felt after the 2010 BCS game when theirs got stopped.

One saving grace is that after the past four years of recruiting, depth on defense is better so the three-and-outs shouldn't hurt us as bad as they did in '09.

This hurry up offense is like the little girl with the curl: When it's good it's very very good and when it's bad it's horrid. Thinking back to Kentucky of 2009. And no, try as you might there is no way to blame Chizik for that one. The offense didn't click and we lost to Kentucky.

I expect this to be better with Gus in full control, but we should all remember that when this thing gets stopped, it's not pretty. Ask Oregon how they felt after the 2010 BCS game when theirs got stopped.

One saving grace is that after the past four years of recruiting, depth on defense is better so the three-and-outs shouldn't hurt us as bad as they did in '09.

Our offense wan't much better that game, it was tied at the end.

I think we handcuffed our offense in that game. Chizik was trying not to lose the game. Should've ran Dyer more. Threw passes over the middle more.

These boys need some old school training. Old pat dye junction boys .. they need to earn the new weight room and the indoor facility. They have been spoiled so much.. we need a new mentality and get rid of the self entitlement.. garner sees that

These boys need some old school training. Old pat dye junction boys .. they need to earn the new weight room and the indoor facility. They have been spoiled so much.. we need a new mentality and get rid of the self entitlement.. garner sees that

Let me guess how old you are.

Yes, but a lot of our offense slowing down was by design. We called that shot ourselves and controlled the game. Had Cam not fumbled in the fourth quarter the game wouldn't have been nearly that close. Oregon, on the other hand, was flustered by their inability to move it.

This could be applicable to any offense..spread..hurry up...powerI...if any offense is not executed correctly it looks bad...really bad.

So because we didn't run the NHHU last year,our offense wasn't ugly? I think ALL offenses are ugly when they get stopped. Whether you take 20 seconds to run three plays and punt,or a lot more time to run three plays and punt, like we did last year against everybody that counted.

I really enjoy seeing all the coaches hands on and involved. I'm sure they were last year as well, but I feel like Malzahn is making a point to make it visible to those outside the program that the coaching staff is hitting the basics and identifying the key problem areas. Makes me more excited as a fan and I'm sure is doing wonders to stirring up the fan base. Goes without saying, but I know CGM realizes he has to convince not just the players but the fans as well. So far, so good.

im convinced chris todd's shoulder was hurt in that 09 Kentucky game. he missed wide open throws repeatedly.

Archived