2013 Spring Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodney Garner is the man!!! I don't remember Mike Pelton gettin after it like that...

Pelton flat out stole money from AU during his time on the staff.

wde

Anybody with a little more background in football want to share the purpose of some of the drills? I'm always curious about what we are doing and why. I've spent a lot more time in the stands than on the field, so I don't always pick up what skill is being developed in some of the drills.

First drill shown was OL working with the sled: they were working on blocking technique - staying low with the first step & bringing the hands forward to initiate the block and then using the hips to power through and lastly the arm extension to finish the block. Elbows need to be close to the body to execute that move. If they're out to the side, you've got no chance to direct the leverage power of the hips. Defensive line drill with the standup dummies: they're working on getting rid of blockers and then a novel concept we haven't seen a lot of at AU lately - pursuit to the ball carrier. Interception drill: a successful return involves the whole team, even the rushing DL. I like that the DL are being taught to run downfield after the pass is released -- less chance of a late hit on the QB. If the pass is intercepted the DL will be in ready to block for the return. If the pass is completed, they'll be heading in the right direction to assist with a tackle. And if the pass is incomplete, the DL will be more ready for the next play against an uptempo offense than if they're walking back to the LOS.

Rodney Garner is the man!!! I don't remember Mike Pelton gettin after it like that...

wde

I thought Chizik was responsible for every failure? If you throw in Pelton's recruiting, he didn't do too bad. Add Monty Adams to Pelton's list, Pelton's the guy that had Adams sewed up for AU before the coaching change.

Thanks but please, no more photos of old football coaches in warmups (apparently) not wearing underwear.

I didn't even notice - nice catch. REMOVED!

I think he was asking for YOUNG coaches (apparently) not wearing underwear. >:D

wde

I thought Chizik was responsible for every failure? If you throw in Pelton's recruiting, he didn't do too bad. Add Monty Adams to Pelton's list, Pelton's the guy that had Adams sewed up for AU before the coaching change.

Chizik did hire Pelton so ultimately we can say he was responsible. That still doesn't change the fact that Pelton was a terrible DL coach and did not earn his paycheck while at AU. Pelton was not the only one of the Chizik staff that did not earn their paycheck. The Pelton hire along with the Trailer Park 4 were the 1st indications that Chizik was likely not the Chizik of 2009/2010 but the Chizik of 5-19.

wde

It is so good to see the up tempo practice. Watching certain coaches from last season and the couple before who "messed around" and caused distractions during practice really bothered me. Good to see a more professional and business-like approach.

WAR EAGLE!!

I like Wallace's throwing motion a lot better than Frazier's. It's more compact, letting him get the ball out quicker.

I noticed that also. It comes out of Wallaces' hand quick. Kiehl kind of winds up a bit.

I like Wallace's throwing motion a lot better than Frazier's. It's more compact, letting him get the ball out quicker.

I noticed that also. It comes out of Wallaces' hand quick. Kiehl kind of winds up a bit.

100% agree with you both. Now, why don't the coaches correct his bad habit of dropping the ball down and winding up?

e.g. http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d8265dcf1/Namath-Throwing-style

why have I forgotten anything about harris gaston. did he quit last year? injured?

IIRC, he left the team for "personal reasons" sometime in the summer of 2012. I don't think he's been in school until he came back in January but that could be bad information.

wde

After a coach like Rocker, it is hard to live up. D line was awful last year though. Hope Pelton continues to learn and rebounds.

wde

He's not the only one that "stole" money from us. We need a refund from ALL the previous coaches! I know it is just practice but the video is just night and day.

wde

He's not the only one that "stole" money from us. We need a refund from ALL the previous coaches! I know it is just practice but the video is just night and day.

And J Jacobs needs to step down as A.D for being so dumb to give them raises and for making us watch the worst coached AU team in my lifetime!!!

If we get their money back, do we have to give the BCS championship back? It wasn't all bad, guys.

No, we get to keep that because Gus was the OC. ;D

If we get their money back, do we have to give the BCS championship back? It wasn't all bad, guys.

No, we get to keep that because Gus was the OC. ;D/>

Exactly!!!

Exactly!!!

Nope. It took everything working just like it did or the chemistry would have been screwed. Pull Chizik, Roof, Trooper, Yox or anybody else you want to name out of the deal and the BCS championship never happens.

Exactly!!!

Nope. It took everything working just like it did or the chemistry would have been screwed. Pull Chizik, Roof, Trooper, Yox or anybody else you want to name out of the deal and the BCS championship never happens.

agree

Pelton had nothing to do with the BCS championship.

wde

Exactly!!!

Remind me, how did Gus do without the former crew when he was on his own and more importantly how well did we do without Gus?

Exactly!!!

Remind me, how did Gus do without the former crew when he was on his own and more importantly how well did we do without Gus?

Gus was like everybody else. Pull him out and there's no BCS championship. I thought I made that clear.

Gus went 10-3 without us, including big wins over always tough Alcorn State, South Alabama, MTSU and FIU. We didn't do so hot, mainly because VanGorder's defense couldn't have stopped a PeeWee team. Was it Gus's defensive adjustments that stopped UAT, UGA and Oregon in the second half of 2010 games? Gee, he needs to get some credit for that too!

Exactly!!!

Gus was like everybody else. Pull him out and there's no BCS championship. I thought I made that clear.

Gus went 10-3 without us, including big wins over always tough Alcorn State, South Alabama, MTSU and FIU. We didn't do so hot, mainly because VanGorder's defense couldn't have stopped a PeeWee team. Was it Gus's defensive adjustments that stopped UAT, UGA and Oregon in the second half of 2010 games? Gee, he needs to get some credit for that too!

U forgot about the offense, it wasnt all on VanGorder. As far as the defense in 2010 u can give nick fairley and the rest of the seniors on the defensive side of the ball for most of the credit on that one. Oh yeah by the way does gus get credit for the offensive td's made in the second half of those games?

Quote:"U forgot about the offense, it wasnt all on VanGorder. As far as the defense in 2010 u can give nick fairley and the rest of the seniors on the defensive side of the ball for most of the credit on that one. Oh yeah by the way does gus get credit for the offensive td's made in the second half of those games?".

I suppose since you say give Fairley credit for the defense then Cam gets credit for the offense, not Gus. You can't have it both ways.

Archived