2013 Spring Practice - Day 2

RunInRed

Auburn commit and three-star Prattville running back Kamryn Pettway was at practice. So were 2013 signees Carl Lawson and Elijah Daniel, a pair of tight ends with five and four stars next to their name, respectively. Must be spring break this week at Avon High in Indiana, where Daniel attends. Quite the trip to the Plains.

Read more: http://www.oanow.com...19bb30f31a.html

@JasonDufner was at practice today. No word if there will be any #Dufnering on the practice field.

Practice observation from today: Rodney Garner yells, a lot. All the time.

@JHokanson

A number of players are getting chances to return punts. Quan Bray, Ricardo Louis, Tre Mason and Corey Grant are the usual suspects. Scott Fountain wants a playmaker back there, it might take up until the season begins to find one specifically at that position.

Guests from Montgomery, Florida and Georgia were on hand. (I’m sure there were from other locations too.) Former Florida State assistant Dameyune Craig was shaking hands with some Florida guests.

Read more: http://www.wareaglee...-practice-no-2/

Holsey, Davis, Louis, Mason among the kick returners

@JamesCrapea

One field goal unit: K Cody Parkey, snapper C.T. Moorman, holder Ryan White.

@AUBlog

On the final offensive drill we got to see, Jonathan Wallace was quarterbacking the first offensive unit with Corey Grant at running back while Kiehl Frazier and Tre Mason were with the second unit.

The first two offensive line units remained the same. Going left to right they are as follows:

1st Unit: Greg Robinson, Jordan Diamond, Reese Dismukes, Chad Slade, Patrick Miller

2nd Unit: Shon Coleman, Tunde Fariyikie, Alex Kozan, Devonte Danzey, Avery Young

Read more: http://auburnauthori...ations-day-two/

** Saw this on Wednesday, but wanted to double-check. Looks like Alex Kozan, who played mostly guard last season, has moved to center.

** Center Reese Dismukes was taking on a vocal leadership role in offensive line drills. After one period switched and the offensive line had to head indoors, Dismukes was the player encouraging everyone to get on the hop and get inside so there weren't any up-downs.

Read more: http://www.al.com/au...ctice_re_1.html

Auburn's offensive line ready to do battle Friday morning at the Tigers' second spring practice.

BGhzqmyCQAIvuh2.jpg

@AUBlog

599756_355546584549279_2043112192_n.jpg

306005_355546634549274_1252979179_n.jpg

166758_355546654549272_57966249_n.jpg

425115_355546677882603_716831584_n.jpg

156893_355546724549265_1320345780_n.jpg

527841_355549734548964_1179538871_n.jpg

Via

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a difference in the intensity level from last year. Couple that with very detailed instruction down to the smallest detail from Grimes and Garner on those position drills, making them do it over until they get it right and its very encouraging. Ellis' defensive unit interception drill was very high energy, no messing around. Garner was even down there barking at his DL, demanding they get the details right. A HUGE difference.

I like Wallace's throwing motion a lot better than Frazier's. It's more compact, letting him get the ball out quicker.

Thanks but please, no more photos of old football coaches in warmups (apparently) not wearing underwear.

I didn't even notice - nice catch. REMOVED!

Gus's post-practice presser...

BGiMo_TCQAEvmIx.jpg

Via @AubOrange

Gus Malzahn says team had better understanding today, says tomorrow will be better evaluation day in pads

Malzahn says Kozan getting a shot at center, Tunde at guard

Malzahn: "They're getting used to the standard of how to practice. The pace and everything."

@AUAuthority

Malzahn: "Helmets-only practice. Feel like we improved as far as drills. Really, tomorrow will be a big thing for us with pads on."

Harris Gaston, playing linebacker after a year away.

Malzahn, asked about an injured walk-on, says he won't be issuing information on injuries. Colton Wingard didn't practice today.

Malzahn says Auburn will do 11-on-11 work on Saturday, but the Tigers won't scrimmage on the first day of pads

Malzahn on walk-on quarterbacks Ben Durand and Tate O'Connor says coaching staff doesn't know a whole lot about them, will play.

Malzahn on Trovon Reed: "We have high expectations. It's time, and he knows that."

@JoelAEricksonAU

Malzan: "They're getting used to the standard of how to practice. ... Each practice, the leadership should step up."

Malzahn on OC Rhett Lashlee: "Rhett does understand everything with our offense, exactly."

Malzahn on pads: "That's what football is about. You can do a lot of teaching and alignments with helmets only," no evaluations w/out pads.

@AUBlog

DC Ellis Johnson ...

DC Ellis Johnson: "It's been a tyical first 2 days of pracitce. We've kind of loaded them up with a lot of things." Retention pretty good.

Johnson: "I think we've got most of them in the right place. As we progress into pads tomorrow/next week, we'll learn more about them."

Johnson said he's seen good things out of Justin Garrett at the Star position, but he's waiting to evaluate until players are in pads.

Johnson said Mike LB does more "quarterbacking" of the defense, Will LB has more variation with their drops/blitzing.

Johnson said first group of LBs are rotating between Jake Holland, Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost. Players learning Mike and Will.

Johnson said it's helped having previous working experience with Melvin Smith and Charlie Harbison: "It makes everything go faster."

EJ on Demetruce McNeal: "He's been really good, and it's easy to tell his experience level. He picks up things quickly."

EJ explains where Auburn is right now as well as anyone: "Our whole depth chart is in pencil."

@AUBlog

Ellis Johnson on Kris Frost, says he's been impressed with his talks, and even when he makes a mistake, he's talking

Ellis Johnson on Justin Garrett and JaViere Mitchell: "They were two of the faster linebackers. ... We thought it was best moving there."

Ellis Johnson on JaViere Mitchell at Star: "Skill-wise, athletically, he's been fine."

Ellis Johnson says he's never seen a team this deep on the defensive line. "That doesn't mean they're all players. We'll find that out."

Ellis Johnson says LaDarius Owens asked to move back to linebacker when he got a chance to look at the scheme.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Johnson: "I see it almost every position, I have never seen this many live bodies. We are deep. There's a lot of competition."

Johnson: "Rodney (Garner) has not said anything about any one player sticking out or being poor."

Johnson on Demetruce McNeal playing boundary safety: "We drop the boundary safety int he box a lot. ... He seems to pick things up quickly."

Johnson on JUCO transfer Ben Bradley, says hes been wonderfully conditioning, dropped about 15 pounds

@AUAuthority

Ellis Johnson says Chris Landrum has been impressive so far with his talking on the field

@ITATJason

Chris Landrum, Ladarius Owens (MLB), Anthony Swain (WLB) is the second group of linebackers.

@JHokanson

did i see our qb's doing a 3 step drop in the throwing drills ... did we throw once from a 3 step drop last year ... you know, a timing route ... bet our qb's would have appreciated a play call or 2 where they could have thrown a timing pass and not worried about getting trucked ...

Interesting watching the O line with the flying elbows. I can see where they would have trouble holding the line in pass block and allowing the D to get their hands on them first. Good to see that bad habit being corrected.

OC Rhett Lashlee...

Lashlee said Kiehl Frazier's previous experience has helped transition to new offense, and Jonathan Wallace's work ethic has helped him.

Rhett Lashlee said players are "locked in and eager."

Lashlee said it's a fine line between playing up to speed, but having proper alignment. Today, players were faster, struggled lining up.

Lashlee said Frazier "just feels better" with the weight loss since coaching staff arrived. He believes weight loss helps him run better.

More Lashlee on Frazier: "You can see right now he has the arm talent. We've just got to get him consistent."

Lashlee; "I've been impressed with the way Ricardo Louis can stretch the field. He looks really fast right now. We'll see when we get pads."

Lashlee on Corey Grant, the speedster: "He's definitely a guy we'll take a look at with that. ... Straight-line, he can really run

Lashlee on why Jordan Diamond is on 1st group OL: "Thing about him is he's got unbelievable work ethic. He cares."

@AUBlog

Rhett Lashlee complimentary of QBs, says it's about speed and tempo

Lashlee on QBs: "They've come prepared every day."

Lashlee on QB rotation: "It's totally random."

Lashlee: "I think Kiehl's a littleheavy, probably still is. I'd like him to be 220-225 maybe." Frazier is listed 234

Lashlee: "It's good Jonathan (Wallace) put on some weight."

Lashlee: "First day in pads I want our guys to be physical."

Lashlee says Ricardo Louis could be an outside WR opposite Coates

@AUAuthority

Rhett Lashlee says both quarterbacks are locked in. Focusing on footwork and throwing on time

Lashlee says Ricardo Louis has tons of talent and just need reps in his first look at offense.

@ITATJason

OC Rhett Lashlee on the WR's: "I think we've got a chance." Says Ricardo Louis has "loads" of talent, mentions Coates, Denson, Ray

@JHokanson

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee on QBs: "I think both of them are really locked in. The big thing for those guys right now is playing fast."

Auburn's offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee: "Right now, we really don't have a first group."

@AUGoldMine

So much for DB Robenson Therezie saying Wednesday he is "part-time" on offense. OC Rhett Lashlee says he is all defense at practice.

@bmarcello

Liked the defensive Interception drills. Everyone looked focused and energized to play. I also liked some of the pre-snap movement by the linebackers. With that and Garner seeming to be focused on whiping our D-line into shape, I'm really excited to see how the coaching staff turns this defense around.

What a difference in the intensity level from last year. Couple that with very detailed instruction down to the smallest detail from Grimes and Garner on those position drills, making them do it over until they get it right and its very encouraging. Ellis' defensive unit interception drill was very high energy, no messing around. Garner was even down there barking at his DL, demanding they get the details right. A HUGE difference.

IM, take a look at the 2:52 mark of the vid...we got what looks like Dee Ford stepping up showing a teammate the correct hand placement. Like to see this kind of leadership step up...and I know CRG does too. Nice to see. Thanks for sharing the vid. --WB82

Anybody with a little more background in football want to share the purpose of some of the drills? I'm always curious about what we are doing and why. I've spent a lot more time in the stands than on the field, so I don't always pick up what skill is being developed in some of the drills.

Guys, is practice open to the general public ? One of my kids is traveling from Winston Salem to Mobile for Easter and wants to stop by to see practice if it is open. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks !

War Damn Eagle !

Archived