2013 Spring Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

Malzahn: "We didn't play fast enough today. We really weren't even close, but we'll get there."

Malzahn: "Judging them from the first day, we've got a ways to go on learning how to practice"

Not to take a shot at the previous staff, but I really like the way Gus is straight forward about things. No "good practice" today. He sees a problem, says its a problem, and figures out a way to fix it. Not saying anything about how many wins that creates, I just think the change in mentality is good for the program as a whole.

Typical German trait. We are brought up to be that way. It is why we are so efficient-and it goes doubly if one is Swiss-German like me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I know this is the first day of practice, but my first impression of the photos and videos is that our guys are still small. The arms of our DT's and OT's look small. I know we have a long way to go to break the patterns from the last 2 years, but I really hope our guys get big FAST!!!

There is probably a delicate balance here....a 6-4 330 OL will have his tongue hanging out after a few plays trying to get plays off at the pace Gus has them working.....and same for the DL. I recall in 2010 when things were working well for our offense, most of AU's opposition were standing with hands on hips and even faking injuries....trying to respond to the hurry-up offense.

Ok, I know this is the first day of practice, but my first impression of the photos and videos is that our guys are still small. The arms of our DT's and OT's look small. I know we have a long way to go to break the patterns from the last 2 years, but I really hope our guys get big FAST!!!

No kidding, I didn't want to say it, but I felt the same way. Where is the muscle? I hope I am not being negative, I did expect to see more muscle in the arms and legs.

There is probably a delicate balance here....a 6-4 330 OL will have his tongue hanging out after a few plays trying to get plays off at the pace Gus has them working.....and same for the DL. I recall in 2010 when things were working well for our offense, most of AU's opposition were standing with hands on hips and even faking injuries....trying to respond to the hurry-up offense.

Good points!!

"The Tigers are already working on the hurry-up, no-huddle, gone-in-sixty-seconds formations. The entire offensive unit was huddle near the sideline, then race to the ball – spotted at the 40-yard-line. They simulated four handoff plays with no switching personnel, capped by coaches yelling ‘Score! Score!’ and all eleven players mock-celebrating in the end zone. The entire exchange was followed by some up-downs on the sideline.

Words heard multiple times Wednesday morning: Go. Hurry. Run. Move. These are going to be some caffeinated, cock-a-doodle-doo workouts.

Read more: http://www.wareaglee...-practice-no-1/"

:blink: uh...okay

I agree 100%. I guess I'm just kinda bummed that our players didn't seem to hit the weight room with a vengence in light of our disastrous season last year. Hearing that our potential starting QB came in "a little overweight" is discouraging. After last year, I would have thought our guys would live in the gym in the off-season, packing on "good weight" and muscle. Here's hoping Coach Russell can whip them into shape with the quickness.

526586_10151521442044894_1099183726_n.jpg

Kiehl Frazier

72783_10151521442049894_2094000423_n.jpg

Tre Mason

544284_10151521442154894_1214457090_n.jpg

Greg Robinson and Nosa Eguae

578054_10151521442149894_1450929850_n.jpg

Jaylon Denson

483761_10151521442159894_911192726_n.jpg

Chad Slade and Angelo Blackson

392659_10151521442279894_1053291779_n.jpg

Gabe Wright

482369_10151521440424894_690437544_n.jpg

Gus Malzahn

I agree 100%. I guess I'm just kinda bummed that our players didn't seem to hit the weight room with a vengence in light of our disastrous season last year. Hearing that our potential starting QB came in "a little overweight" is discouraging. After last year, I would have thought our guys would live in the gym in the off-season, packing on "good weight" and muscle. Here's hoping Coach Russell can whip them into shape with the quickness.

Just because you lose a little weight DOESN'T mean you are OVERWEIGHT

I'm not concerned yet. If we look small at certain positions in June & July is when i would be concerned.Many guys have reported that they have gained weight (for those that need to) and many have reported they have lessend their body fat. I'm no personal trainer so maybe someone can chime in on what we reallistically should be seeing at this point. With guys continually improving at the weight and body fat they need to be at then they could be able to develop some definition. Although i doubt we'll see a lot of definition with the OL.

I'm not concerned yet. If we look small at certain positions in June & July is when i would be concerned.Many guys have reported that they have gained weight (for those that need to) and many have reported they have lessend their body fat. I'm no personal trainer so maybe someone can chime in on what we reallistically should be seeing at this point. With guys continually improving at the weight and body fat they need to be at then they could be able to develop some definition. Although i doubt we'll see a lot of definition with the OL.

This. I think it will take longer than a few months to change what has transpired the past couple of years in S&C.

wde

I used to be able to walk to the kitchen and grab a beer between plays. Pretty sure those days are gone.

I'm totally ok with having to stock myself with a few at the beginning of a drive.

Now that is a good one!

I just bring my cooler into the living room. On the other hand, bathroom breaks are the devil. Unless I learn to use the window...hmmm....

Where's your faith?

My habit in 2010 was to reload or leak on offensive drives. More times than not, the play I missed was on replay when I got back

Any one know anything about CoachComm ("The Proven Leader in Sideline Communications)?

We had a great morning watching Auburn kick off spring practice as we trained the staff on their new Tempo system!

303390_10151391224849671_1730685084_n.jpg

The Malzahn Era begins...

BGXvYArCcAAj6UP.jpg

Auburn QBs offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee coaches up his quarterbacks, led by Kiehl Frazier & Jonathan Wallace

@wareagleextra

BGXsxWNCAAEtbch.jpg

Auburn defensive line drills at spring practice

BGXsY1GCEAEmbgs.jpg

Auburn offensive line drills at spring practice

Startling OL today was Robinson-Diamond-Dismukes-Slade-Miller

BGXqTrWCAAILe4X.jpg

Kiehl Frazier and Quan Bray run a read option in practice

@JamesCrepea

The Tigers are already working on the hurry-up, no-huddle, gone-in-sixty-seconds formations. The entire offensive unit was huddle near the sideline, then race to the ball – spotted at the 40-yard-line. They simulated four handoff plays with no switching personnel, capped by coaches yelling ‘Score! Score!’ and all eleven players mock-celebrating in the end zone. The entire exchange was followed by some up-downs on the sideline. Fast, fast, fast.

Words heard multiple times Wednesday morning: Go. Hurry. Run. Move. These are going to be some caffeinated, cock-a-doodle-doo workouts.

Read more: http://www.wareaglee...-practice-no-1/

Kiehl Frazier and Corey Grant were working with the first team offense.

On the defensive side of the ball, the startling defensive unit looked to be Nosa Eguae, Dee Ford, Gabe Wright, Angelo Blackson, Jake Holland, Cassanova McKinzy, Justin Garrett, Jonathon Mincy, Chris Davis, Jermaine Whitehead and Demetruce McNeal. Garrett was lined up as the “star” linebacker with the first team but there were a lot of rotations so it’s way too early to tell.

LaDarius Owens, who signed as a linebacker and practiced at defensive line last season, is back at linebacker.

Read more: http://auburnauthori...ations-day-one/

Please forgive the ignorance, but

First Picture shows 4 QBs, when (best of my knowledge) only two scholarships are on campus.

Walk-ons? or somebody else being considered for a move?

Mr. Ray has been discussed at WR (though hasn't played there yet) but, otherwise, walk-ons seem rarely discussed anywhere.

Any more Training?

Any one know anything about CoachComm ("The Proven Leader in Sideline Communications)?

We had a great morning watching Auburn kick off spring practice as we trained the staff on their new Tempo system!

https://www.facebook...27304670&type=1

Mr. Red, sir -

Googling their Tempo (seems well-named?) system specifically,

I get

http://www.coachcomm.com/sound/practice/tempo

CoachCom has been in business for several years providing communication services for NASCAR, High School, College, and NFL teams. One if their tech guys used to live across the street from me in Auburn.

R

An Auburn-based company, correct?

yes Peter Amos is the owner pm me for more information

This. I think it will take longer than a few months to change what has transpired the past couple of years in S&C.

wde

I'm in the same boat with these comments. The guys just seem so...idk. I remember back when I was at AU and all the linemen looked like huge, violent, grown brute men.

Anyway, here's an interesting article on UTk's o-line and their transition from pro-style to Butch Jones fast paced attack. Mentions the weight that had to be lost. And check out the pics of their Oline...monsters.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/mar/26/vols-believe-they-can-have-elite-offensive-line/

Archived