i believe kiehl frazier comes back with a vengeance...

aubiefifty

This is an interesting observation today from Aaron Brenner @ WarEagleExtra after practice #4. It pertains to some of the discussion on the thread so it may be something to consider.

" It’s possible the three junior college transfers already enrolled – RB Artis-Payne, OL Danzey and DT Ben Bradley – are a little behind the rest of their groups. Nothing’s guaranteed to jucos. Remember that when QB Nick Marshall gets here this fall."

http://www.wareaglee...monday-fatigue/

That's a good point except for one thing. NM will be there late May or early June and will have that 3 months June, July and August to adjust. There's no doubt, however, that he will be behind and IMO it will take a herculean effort for him to be named the starter for game 1.

For some reason I thought NM was coming in August - I'm glad to know he'll have 3 months to learn the play-book and get acclimated to the Gus offense.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen a dozen threads picking JW apart, calling him a bust or calling out a family member of his. If I did I would defend him as well. I don't believe either was put in a position to succeed.

yet comparatively speaking....one's performance was significantly better than the other's. I'll let you decide who was the better QB despite performing under the exact same conditions. If you honestly believe KF had a great season last year, there's not really anything I can do to help you understand why people can see someone else possibly winning the job. BTW, I haven't seen a dozen threads tearing any Auburn player apart. .Exaggerate much when trying to make your points?

I would argue that calling JW's performance signifigantly better a stretch. Some better, sure, but signifigantly? Also I said picking not tearing.

I would call it significantly better and its not surprising, to me, we would disagree. I don't think I've ever agreed with your perspective on anything. "Picking, tearing" the point remains the same. I haven't seen a dozen threads "picking" ANY player apart. Maybe you can copy them and post them in a reply so I can read them for myself. They should ALL still be here.

I take great pride in the fact YOU haven't agreed with ME.

Good for you. Let me explain something to you which you obviously do not get. Better is a relative term and does not imply excellence. Sadly, it wouldn't have taken much to be significantly better than what was seen from KF a good portion of his time as the starter. The biggest thing that separated JW from KF was his competitive fire. He seemed more poised and yes better equipped from an intangible point of view to LEAD the team. His stats may not have been over shadowing but his demeanor, his body language and just about every other aspect of how he looked was significantly better. He never looked timid, lost or shell shocked...Take pride in disagreeing with that

This is the single bright spot for me from last season. I can't help it, but I was glad to see an AU QB that wasn't afraid to stand up a fight - a guy that didn't look totally freakin lost & "deer in the headlights" look on his face. JW is a competitor, and he displayed poise and in charge while he was on the field.

... as a true freshman; who most thought would never see the field.

For some reason this point seems lost in this quarterback discussion. For many KF is given a free ride on his freshman start, as if it should never have happened. Then his sophomore year being not even finished is dismissed or omitted, as if he didn't own at least part of the failure. And now as a junior we're still in hope of seeing that glimmer of promise, for if not other reason for himself and parents. Because this spring will most likely be his last chance at hurrah.

I'm not doubting KF may yet become a good QB, but to see anything resembling 'back with a vengeance' seems out of character. And to not at least consider JW as a potential coming out of Spring-Drill, seems as much a slap to the face, as it does the other way around.

Me ... I'm just glad for some solid choices, and may the best man win! win! win!

I haven't seen a dozen threads picking JW apart, calling him a bust or calling out a family member of his. If I did I would defend him as well. I don't believe either was put in a position to succeed.

yet comparatively speaking....one's performance was significantly better than the other's. I'll let you decide who was the better QB despite performing under the exact same conditions. If you honestly believe KF had a great season last year, there's not really anything I can do to help you understand why people can see someone else possibly winning the job. BTW, I haven't seen a dozen threads tearing any Auburn player apart. .Exaggerate much when trying to make your points?

I would argue that calling JW's performance signifigantly better a stretch. Some better, sure, but signifigantly? Also I said picking not tearing.

I would call it significantly better and its not surprising, to me, we would disagree. I don't think I've ever agreed with your perspective on anything. "Picking, tearing" the point remains the same. I haven't seen a dozen threads "picking" ANY player apart. Maybe you can copy them and post them in a reply so I can read them for myself. They should ALL still be here.

Good for you. Let me explain something to you which you obviously do not get. Better is a relative term and does not imply excellence. Sadly, it wouldn't have taken much to be significantly better than what was seen from KF a good portion of his time as the starter. The biggest thing that separated JW from KF was his competitive fire. He seemed more poised and yes better equipped from an intangible point of view to LEAD the team. His stats may not have been over shadowing but his demeanor, his body language and just about every other aspect of how he looked was significantly better. He never looked timid, lost or shell shocked...Take pride in disagreeing with that

This is the single bright spot for me from last season. I can't help it, but I was glad to see an AU QB that wasn't afraid to stand up a fight - a guy that didn't look totally freakin lost & "deer in the headlights" look on his face. JW is a competitor, and he displayed poise and in charge while he was on the field.

For some reason this point seems lost in this quarterback discussion. For many KF is given a free ride on his freshman start, as if it should never have happened. Then his sophomore year being not even finished is dismissed or omitted, as if he didn't own at least part of the failure. And now as a junior we're still in hope of seeing that glimmer of promise, for if not other reason for himself and parents. Because this spring will most likely be his last chance at hurrah.

I'm not doubting KF may yet become a good QB, but to see anything resembling 'back with a vengeance' seems out of character. And to not at least consider JW as a potential coming out of Spring-Drill, seems as much a slap to the face, as it does the other way around.

Me ... I'm just glad for some solid choices, and may the best man win! win! win!

I am supporting whomever get's the nod. I don't know if KF was asked to do a whole heck of a lot his freshmen year, and well, yes, he was a freshmen. Last season was such a mess I really don't/can't blame KF's play. I mean O-line, WO's, coaching, lack of sideline help etc...

I will say with a new lease on QB life, with a HC that knows him well, if he doesn't produce soon, he will be holding for kicks.

Someone said....." it will take a herculean effort for him (NM) to be named the starter for game ". Not really true. He only has to be better than the two guys already working out with the team. He will have the summer to get familiar with the offense and his team mates...and considering where we finished last season as far as QB performance, I don't see that it's out of reach for NM to be ready for game #1.

I am supporting whomever get's the nod. I don't know if KF was asked to do a whole heck of a lot his freshmen year, and well, yes, he was a freshmen. Last season was such a mess I really don't/can't blame KF's play. I mean O-line, WO's, coaching, lack of sideline help etc...

I will say with a new lease on QB life, with a HC that knows him well, if he doesn't produce soon, he will be holding for kicks.

That will be a shame. IMO, Kiehl would be a great QB someplace else, i.e. ArkyState, or a lower division school. The SEC ain't for everyone.

The SEC is freakin brutal and indecisive/scarred QB's get eaten alive in this conference. If they are prone to show any weakness whatsoever, the SEC defenses start licking their chops and pounce on 'em.

Someone said....." it will take a herculean effort for him (NM) to be named the starter for game ". Not really true. He only has to be better than the two guys already working out with the team. He will have the summer to get familiar with the offense and his team mates...and considering where we finished last season as far as QB performance, I don't see that it's out of reach for NM to be ready for game #1.

My reference to the 'herculean effort" was probably a bad choice of words. What I'm specifically referring to is learning the plays and getting the timing down. Its not as easy as you might think to just step in and pick it up, especially an offense designed to be run at a break neck pace.

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the three named starter at this point. I just want the most productive QB to play no matter who it is. I trust the coaches, especially Malzahn, to make the right call.

My reference to the 'herculean effort" was probably a bad choice of words. What I'm specifically referring to is learning the plays and getting the timing down. Its not as easy as you might think to just step in and pick it up, especially an offense designed to be run at a break neck pace.

I wasn't trying to short-circuit the discussion but seemed that some folks were heavily into "advocacy" for certain candidates and IMO were ignoring past performance and some relevant facts as they tried to sell their point of view. The coaches have their jobs on the line with the decisions they make and are not likely to be influenced by personal feelings toward any one player. As about every coach says at this point, "we are going to select the guy who gives us the best chance to win".....and that's what I expect Gus will do.

I wasn't trying to short-circuit the discussion but seemed that some folks were heavily into "advocacy" for certain candidates and IMO were ignoring past performance and some relevant facts as they tried to sell their point of view. The coaches have their jobs on the line with the decisions they make and are not likely to be influenced by personal feelings toward any one player. As about every coach says at this point, "we are going to select the guy who gives us the best chance to win".....and that's what I expect Gus will do.

I agree 100%. I may be one of the guys pulling for KF, b/c I would just hate to see the former USA Today, Offensive player of the year, that chose AU, fail.

But of course we all want whom-ever gives us the best chance of winning on the field! I just hope whom-ever it is, is good enough to beat some of our biggest rivals!

Let me add one more thing to the discussion:

Since becoming a coach at the College level in 2006, CGM has had a different starting QB every single year. This year will be the 8th consecutive year he has had a new starter in his offense. Of the previous 7, ALL of them with the exception of AU in 2011 put up very impressive numbers! Based on this trend, I expect our 2013 QB to be successful!

Since becoming a coach at the College level in 2006, CGM has had a different starting QB every single year. This year will be the 8th consecutive year he has had a new starter in his offense. Of the previous 7, ALL of them with the exception of AU in 2011 put up very impressive numbers! Based on this trend, I expect our 2013 QB to be successful!

So do I, whomever that QB may be. (It'd be hard to be any worse than what we saw last season.)

Just think what will happen when he gets one of those QB's for two or three years.

I'm a KF fan, heck I wanted to see him start in 2011, but honestly I think the best man on campus right now is JW. As much as I like KF I just don't think he is our best QB right now, and I don't think he'll have much of a shot once NM and JJ get here. I think he got his chance last year, and barring injury, it probably passed him by. NM will be the starter until he leaves with JW backing him up, and then my money is on JJ. But hey, what do I know?

That would be a waste. He averaged ~49ypk (albeit on few attempts) punting as a Sr @ ShilohHS

I 100% agree Blue and I don't always agree with you. Wallace looked better and let's keep in mind he was a true freshman while Kiehl had a year under his belt.

I 100% agree Blue and I don't always agree with you. Wallace looked better and let's keep in mind he was a true freshman while Kiehl had a year under his belt.

Actually, Shug, the only time we seemed to be on different sides of a debate we eventually couldn't figure out what we were arguing about. So, we usually do agree. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :hellyeah:

Actually, Shug, the only time we seemed to be on different sides of a debate we eventually couldn't figure out what we were arguing about. So, we usually do agree. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :hellyeah:

Then fella, you were not at the games last year. JW got up shaking his head constantly as did KF. Don't blame either myself. No way in hell you got an honest read on either as they were set up to struggle. Maybe if Chiz hadn't told Kiehl not to run he could have kept some defenders at least a little more honest.

I loved what Wallace did. But that was one of the worst lines in the history of AU football. I really dont think Fraizer will cut it and we have ourselves to blame for it. I hope he completes his degree and does great things, but we may have killed him as a player. Or I should say the last coaching staff did.

"Maybe if Chiz hadn't told Kiehl not to run he could have kept some defenders at least a little more honest."

Thank you - someone finally "gets it" (I know you knew that all along)!!! There was so much going on last year that we don't all know about...

Have a great day!

WDE

Then fella, you were not at the games last year. JW got up shaking his head constantly as did KF. Don't blame either myself. No way in hell you got an honest read on either as they were set up to struggle. Maybe if Chiz hadn't told Kiehl not to run he could have kept some defenders at least a little more honest.

You're not very good at this are ya? Seems you're definitely on an island in your emotional defense of the indefensible.

"Maybe if Chiz hadn't told Kiehl not to run he could have kept some defenders at least a little more honest."

Thank you - someone finally "gets it" (I know you knew that all along)!!! There was so much going on last year that we don't all know about...

Have a great day!

WDE

It kills me how many are sure they know what the problems were. I'm done even bothering with a few. I'm not even going to tell them "I told you so" when the time comes.

Have a great day!

WDE

It kills me how many are sure they know what the problems were. I'm done even bothering with a few. I'm not even going to tell them "I told you so" when the time comes.

What I find interesting is how you base your defense of KF's poor play on what Gene Chizik told him....let me ask you...by chance, were you in the meeting when Chizik told KF not to run? Also, was JW told the same thing or was it just KF? Undeniably, neither QB was very good but that's not the topic here and while JW was certainly no world beater, unlike KF, I do recall him stepping up into the pocket on occasion and making something happen when the play had broken down. Look, you've proven your undying loyalty to KF and, honestly, I don't have a problem with that but to base those loyalties on what you believe Chizik told KF is pretty silly. Unless you were in that meeting, that statement cannot be made. We wont ever agree on this and we might as well leave well enough alone. I wish KF nothing but the best of luck turning his career at Auburn around but thus far he's been a colossal under-achiever by any standard you want to use. ***You'll never have the chance to say I told you so. If he turns it around, I'll be happy for him. I'm not saying he wont. All I am saying and have said is this...if he continues to be as inconsistent and indecisive as he has been, I can see someone else winning the job. Evidently, you cannot see that ever happening. Personally, lets just say I'm from Missouri on the QB race. Someone needs to show me they can play the position because Im certainly not sold on KF like you obviously are

Have a great day!

WDE

What I find interesting is how you base your defense of KF's poor play on what Gene Chizik told him....let me ask you...by chance, were you in the meeting when Chizik told KF not to run? Also, was JW told the same thing or was it just KF? Undeniably, neither QB was very good but that's not the topic here and while JW was certainly no world beater, unlike KF, I do recall him stepping up into the pocket on occasion and making something happen when the play had broken down. Look, you've proven your undying loyalty to KF and, honestly, I don't have a problem with that but to base those loyalties on what you believe Chizik told KF is pretty silly. Unless you were in that meeting, that statement cannot be made. We wont ever agree on this and we might as well leave well enough alone. I wish KF nothing but the best of luck turning his career at Auburn around but thus far he's been a colossal under-achiever by any standard you want to use. ***You'll never have the chance to say I told you so. If he turns it around, I'll be happy for him. I'm not saying he wont. All I am saying and have said is this...if he continues to be as inconsistent and indecisive as he has been, I can see someone else winning the job. Evidently, you cannot see that ever happening. Personally, lets just say I'm from Missouri on the QB race. Someone needs to show me they can play the position because I'm certainly not sold on KF like you obviously are

I am not taking sides in y'alls battle royale, have at it. However, I did want to add some factual information to the particular issue Dixie alludes to, the issue being what KF may or may not have been told. KF refers to this very topic at the 1:20 mark of this video, posted at WarEagleExtra on 3/30/13. According to KF, if the pass broke down he was apparently told by the coach, that the preference was to dump the ball rather than run it

I don't doubt any 3 of the potential QBs chosen as the starter will put up good numbers but I'll take more wins than stat numbers. Even if we win 6 games next year KF or JW will certainly double or triple their stat numbers b/c of the type of offense we will be running. I have full confidence that any of the 3 QBs can lead us to at least 6 wins but who will be the QB that can win us the 50/50 toss up games and a game or two where we are big underdogs is the guy i want as the starter. Right now I'm skeptical if KF can step up and do that. I don't have any doubt he has all the physicall skills/tools to do it...just the mental. I'll be behind whoever the starter will be! :)

Archived