i believe kiehl frazier comes back with a vengeance...

aubiefifty

Just flat out wanting it and making plays trumps a bit of extra athletic ability in my humble opinion. Just watched Emory Blake hold onto that touchdown pass from Cam with 5 left in the 2nd quarter against Bama in 2010. He bobbled it but EB was not the guy to ever miss a play like that. We have a lot of guys with more talent than EB had but if half of them play with as much heart - KF included - we will be a force again right away. Would love nothing better than to see KF be the guy and think it is half unfair to judge him by last year but my sense is that his physical superiority got him through always until he faced SEC defenses last year. Here's to hoping he can find it within him to be the player that his physical gifts offer him the chance to be.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 85+ different personalities are mindsets on a college footballl team. You would think a Quarterback needs to be somebody that think's a lot on the football field with all the play-calling and decisions that have to be made during the course of a game. BUT, I thank that Keihl Frazier is a young man that thinks TOO MUCH during the course of the game.

His Freshman year he was used purely as a runningback taking a direct snap from center and picking a hole to run thru, it had no direct correlation to being a QB in the SEC, so I see that as a wasted year.

His Sophomore year he was in a new system as a pro-style pocket passer with a huddle before nearly every play where he had time to either THINK about what could go wrong or what just did go wrong on the previous play.

With Malzahn and Lashlee he will be in an system that will not give him any time to THINK about what just went wrong or what could go wrong on the next play,

He will be in hurry-up mode, as will everybody on offense. Thus, I think letting his athletic ability take over and not letting his thoughts get cluttered up with negative thoughts.

Just my opinion,

WAR EAGLE!

I hope Kiehl proves all the haters wrong....I just think he was put into a BAD situation.....he's a good kid from a good family and they definitely did not deserve some of the things that were said to and done to them last season.

This may-be bad news for some of Y'all but Lashlee says: "KF runs much better at this weight". He went on to say: "KF has the best arm strength we just need to get him more consistent."

Sounds like KF starting 1st week in Sep.

Reach much? Are you a relative of KF?

wde

+1 That's a HUGE reach! lol.

If arm strength was all that mattered it'd be a no brainer until NM gets there. However, I cant help but remember the smile that came over CGM's face when he spoke about NM being able to throw a football 70 yards. I just want the best one to play and I am certain that will happen. To think anything a coach says 2 days into spring drills would indicate who the starter would be in the fall is pretty silly, especially given the situation now.

I seem to recall Gus being a tad pleased when KF's LOI came in. Neither reaction means a darn thing though.

Also you don't have to be family to be a fan of any player,

I hope Kiehl proves all the haters wrong....I just think he was put into a BAD situation.....he's a good kid from a good family and they definitely did not deserve some of the things that were said to and done to them last season.

Seeing issues and "hating" are two different things. Can KF overcome his indecisiveness and live up to his potential? No one knows the answer to this question right now.

This may-be bad news for some of Y'all but Lashlee says: "KF runs much better at this weight". He went on to say: "KF has the best arm strength we just need to get him more consistent."

wde

If arm strength was all that mattered it'd be a no brainer until NM gets there. However, I cant help but remember the smile that came over CGM's face when he spoke about NM being able to throw a football 70 yards. I just want the best one to play and I am certain that will happen. To think anything a coach says 2 days into spring drills would indicate who the starter would be in the fall is pretty silly, especially given the situation now.

I seem to recall Gus being a tad pleased when KF's LOI came in. Neither reaction means a darn thing though.

I agree, neither comment means a damn thing....you're a quick study. Thank you for pointing out the obvious for all of us. Im not sure what your family comment has to do with anything but, OK....if you say so.

wde

If arm strength was all that mattered it'd be a no brainer until NM gets there. However, I cant help but remember the smile that came over CGM's face when he spoke about NM being able to throw a football 70 yards.

So can Kiehl Frazier - FWIW

It wouldn't matter if Gus flat out named KF the starter today, there are some that are upset with him or others who support him and they won't be satisfied until NM shows up.

It wouldn't matter if Gus flat out named KF the starter today, there are some that are upset with him or others who support him and they won't be satisfied until NM shows up.

That's pretty silly statement even for you. I don't know if you were including me in that group of "some" or " others" you referred because I'm actually pulling for the kid. The problem is I saw him play last year and I saw how poorly he threw the ball and how utterly shell shocked and down right panicked he looked every time the cameras panned to him from the sidelines. Having seen all that makes it difficult for me to fall in line with the group who insists its his job to lose because he was a great HS QB and because Gus said he was the heir apparent 2 years ago. If he wins the job I'll be as happy for him as is humanly possible and happy to extend my congratulations to him.

If arm strength was all that mattered it'd be a no brainer until NM gets there. However, I cant help but remember the smile that came over CGM's face when he spoke about NM being able to throw a football 70 yards.

Arm strength means nothing on it's own. Vision and accuracy mean everything. Drives are most often accomplished through a good running game balanced with the completion of short to medium passes. The QB must find open receivers as a play unfolds. I only write the obvious to make my point that I have not seen Kiehl accomplish this. I also acknowledge that he was the QB on a historically terrible coaching staff and an apparently very unmotivated team but he has never looked comfortable in the position. I still think Wallace has a bigger upside. Never seen Marshall other than film - the SEC ain't no JUCO league. I'm hoping for "one good man" to appear from the group and I will be happy with any. I also would not be surprised if Gus is not completely satisfied with Frazier, Marshall or Wallace seeing Johnson getting early reps and moving into the starting role if he shows he can handle it.

<p>It's hard for me to believe there is a real QB competition going on this spring when, IMO, the strongest candidate is not in school yet. On the other hand, maybe the coaches can decide who will be the most serious challenger for NM...and allow NM enough reps for him to become familiar with the offense.

I don't think it will be a four man competition in August...kind of like NM getting a "bye" this spring and moving to the finals when he shows up.</p>

Wow! Do you know something, we don't about KF? I mean you are completely writing him off? Maybe some inside info you can share.

While I agree with 64 most days, I only need to remind you two of Gus' statement after the 2011 bowl game and that was after having him for a whole season. He didn't waffle, or even give a long pause. He felt then that KF would start in 2012. Then in regards to NM, I simply do not believe that CGM is planning on starting a QB he has only had on campus for a month and a half. Of which he will only practice with the team for a month. Cam had been in School since Jan. and still was just getting the feel of things.

If Gus had not recruited KF nor made the statement he did after the bowl game then I would feel differently. If he had gotten a QB that could have enrolled in Janurary out of JUCO it would signal to me that he was desperate. So my $ is on Kiehl. (Obviously)

If Gus really thought that, he would have been the QB when Mosly went down instead of Barrett.Trotter

Arm strength means nothing on it's own. Vision and accuracy mean everything. Drives are most often accomplished through a good running game balanced with the completion of short to medium passes. The QB must find open receivers as a play unfolds. I only write the obvious to make my point that I have not seen Kiehl accomplish this. I also acknowledge that he was the QB on a historically terrible coaching staff and an apparently very unmotivated team but he has never looked comfortable in the position. I still think Wallace has a bigger upside. Never seen Marshall other than film - the SEC ain't no JUCO league. I'm hoping for "one good man" to appear from the group and I will be happy with any. I also would not be surprised if Gus is not completely satisfied with Frazier, Marshall or Wallace seeing Johnson getting early reps and moving into the starting role if he shows he can handle it.

Yep, me too. The only thing that would surprise me is if JJ steps in an starts as a true freshman. That would also seem to imply our QB situation is far worse than any of us know.

You are correct. Arm strength means nothing on its own. I was just stating a fact to the OP. So what if NM can throw a football 70 yards, a lot of others can as well./ That does not make NM a "super human" or anything else. I am just so tired of everyone - not just on this board - finding fault with everything Kiehl does. If he were my son - that would make me very angry. I hope Kiehl goes out and "kicks butt" all spring and fall and leaves no doubt that he can get the job done like he was recruited to do. I know for a fact that he has been working very hard all off season and after speaking with him, there is no doubt he is confident in his abiltiy to do so.

Happy Easter! and WDE

Jeannie

You are correct. Arm strength means nothing on its own. I was just stating a fact to the OP. So what if NM can throw a football 70 yards, a lot of others can as well./ That does not make NM a "super human" or anything else. I am just so tired of everyone - not just on this board - finding fault with everything Kiehl does. If he were my son - that would make me very angry. I hope Kiehl goes out and "kicks butt" all spring and fall and leaves no doubt that he can get the job done like he was recruited to do. I know for a fact that he has been working very hard all off season and after speaking with him, there is no doubt he is confident in his abiltiy to do so.

Happy Easter! and WDE

Jeannie

+1

Happy Easter! and WDE

Jeannie

+1

Not hateing on Kiel or any other qb on the roster, but Nick Marshall is gonna b a problem for any defense to handle!! I dont know what anybody else is seeing but kid is very talented and fast.

There are a-lot of people who don't understand concepts like leadership, maturity, growth, self confidence, coaching etc...

Since this has become the prediction thread, let me throw mine out there with the understanding that this Spring is probably KF's last opportunity to be the starting QB. He has to beat out JW this Spring to have any chance at all. So here is the " 3 days of Spring practice completed, subject to change at a moments notice, prognostication."

Prediction:

1. I think KF will win the Spring competition and be named #1 coming out of camp.

In his passing game, he will be improved because his decision making and confidence will be better in an offense that has a pre-planned primary receiver with few other reads. This is an offense that he knows very well.

In his running game, his decision after that read (at most 2 reads if that is covered) will be to make something happen with his legs. He knows that too and he will not be hesitant to pull the ball down and run this year, unlike last year. Couple that with the planned runs he will get and then his running ability as well as his size will show up to be a major advantage in a true option QB competition. He goes into Summer as the #1 QB.

2. NM, JJ and JS arrive at various times in the Summer and they will all have to begin from scratch. Unless JJ is a world beater, they will want him to redshirt. JS will get his chance as promised but with KF, JW, NM and JJ on board, he will see the light and go to WR.

3. It will come down to a KF and NM battle in Fall camp but NM is going to have to beat out KF, who will be entrenched as the #1 by then. That means unless KF does poorly in Fall camp and loses the job on his own, NM will have to be a lot better than KF. With NM learning a new system, a system that KF already knows, it will be advantage KF.

There is also this. NM has not faced an SEC defense as a QB before and there is going to be a learning curve there as well. He will face a defense as a QB in Fall practice that will have more size, speed and is in better condition than he has ever seen before. KF will already have that experience as a QB, advantage KF again.

4. KF keeps his job as the #1 QB and starter.

Seeing issues and "hating" are two different things. Can KF overcome his indecisiveness and live up to his potential? No one knows the answer to this question right now.

Exactly! Having a different opinion than the majority doesn't = hating.

That's pretty silly statement even for you. I don't know if you were including me in that group of "some" or " others" you referred because I'm actually pulling for the kid. The problem is I saw him play last year and I saw how poorly he threw the ball and how utterly shell shocked and down right panicked he looked every time the cameras panned to him from the sidelines. Having seen all that makes it difficult for me to fall in line with the group who insists its his job to lose because he was a great HS QB and because Gus said he was the heir apparent 2 years ago. If he wins the job I'll be as happy for him as is humanly possible and happy to extend my congratulations to him.

Couldn't have said it better myself! 1,000% agree. I don't think anybody wants to see KF flat out fail just to say a "i told you so." Heck i use to call KF...Cam Jr. boy did i pay for that statement. My concerns are the concerns made in the statement above. NO ONE including the coaches know how KF will react until he steps on the field. He can have all the "great" practices, have better skills and throws than the other QBs but until game time we will not know if he has overcome his mental issues. That's the concerning part for me...that we will not know how he will react until he is put in the game but we know JW has plenty of confidence and is not fazed no matter the level of competition.

Yes...JW doesn't have the skills that KF does but his confidence and leadership could be a huge difference to overcome some of the skills he lacks compared to KF. Same goes for NM. I like that NM has some SEC experience..although it was not at QB it's not hard to see he doesn't lack confidence. NM's issue may be trying to reel him in some..esp when it comes to making good decisions as a QB to avoid INTs.

IMO I don't think we will know what KF can handle until he has a chance to face "good" competition as i have full confidence that either 3 QBs can beat and have a good game and win against the "cupcake" teams but how will they fair against teams where it is a 50/50 game or we are a big underdog. For me...it's about the QB i have confidence in that can win us the 50/50 games and lead us to a win against top teams in the SEC.

I just have to trust the coaches will make the decision on which QB gives us the best chance to win. IMO...I think whoever starts...I'm not real confident that QB will finish out the season as the starter. I think the QB position will be assessed throughout the season esp. when we start facing better competition. I don't think Gus would be shy about putting in another QB even if that QB is playing "ok" or "well"...if he believes another QB will give us the best chance to win a game or two against the "big boys."

I wouldn't be surprised either if JJ got the job. The kid is a gamer. He stated on twitter about 2 weeks ago he is going after the starting job. Plus he has gained about 5+ lbs. Want to talk about arm strenght, size and skills...he has it all. I know many don't believe in a true freshman QB starting and being able to be successful but if JJ is the best QB that gives us the best chance to win games...I don't think Gus will care. I would love to see JJ redshirt but i think he may be hard for Gus to pass up playing this year.

Happy Easter! and WDE

Jeannie

I think a point some are making that KF's issue wasn't having a good spring/fall practice. It had to do with him being in game situations and what we saw. Yes...everybody was horrible last year but it is very concerning when you see your QB look completely shell shocked and scared when the camera pans in on him. Sack after sack, locking in on WRs, not being confident in his ability to run the ball when a play broke down. That has nothing to do with practice...it's about the talent he has kicking in when the team needs him to do so. Not saying he can't do it but will he is the question. We will not know until he hits the field so if he his the #1 guy...i sure hope he has got his confidence level back.

Since this has become the prediction thread, let me throw mine out there with the understanding that this Spring is probably KF's last opportunity to be the starting QB. He has to beat out JW this Spring to have any chance at all. So here is the " 3 days of Spring practice completed, subject to change at a moments notice, prognostication."

Prediction:

1. I think KF will win the Spring competition and be named #1 coming out of camp.

In his passing game, he will be improved because his decision making and confidence will be better in an offense that has a pre-planned primary receiver with few other reads. This is an offense that he knows very well.

In his running game, his decision after that read (at most 2 reads if that is covered) will be to make something happen with his legs. He knows that too and he will not be hesitant to pull the ball down and run this year, unlike last year. Couple that with the planned runs he will get and then his running ability as well as his size will show up to be a major advantage in a true option QB competition. He goes into Summer as the #1 QB.

2. NM, JJ and JS arrive at various times in the Summer and they will all have to begin from scratch. Unless JJ is a world beater, they will want him to redshirt. JS will get his chance as promised but with KF, JW, NM and JJ on board, he will see the light and go to WR.

3. It will come down to a KF and NM battle in Fall camp but NM is going to have to beat out KF, who will be entrenched as the #1 by then. That means unless KF does poorly in Fall camp and loses the job on his own, NM will have to be a lot better than KF. With NM learning a new system, a system that KF already knows, it will be advantage KF.

There is also this. NM has not faced an SEC defense as a QB before and there is going to be a learning curve there as well. He will face a defense as a QB in Fall practice that will have more size, speed and is in better condition than he has ever seen before. KF will already have that experience as a QB, advantage KF again.

4. KF keeps his job as the #1 QB and starter.

I can agree with pretty much all of this. I do think KF will start but i don't think he will end the season as our starting QB. I don't really see how KF playing QB against SEC teams gives him an advantage when he did nothing in the QB position against teams. NM may not have played QB when he as at UGA but he still has SEC experience. It's going to be interesting for sure. I'm enjoying all the QB debate though.

This sure has been a fun thread! Let's not ruin it (including myself) by getting upset at others predictions or opinions.

War Eagle!

This sure has been a fun thread! Let's not ruin it (including myself) by getting upset at others predictions or opinions.

War Eagle!

Seems to me the only ones who get upset are the ones who don't like anyone questioning whether or not KF will be the #1 QB. I'm pulling for all these kids but, in the end, only 1 can be the #1 guy. I'll be behind whoever Gus puts out there and I really don't understand calling posters haters because they can see someone beating KF out.

Archived