i believe kiehl frazier comes back with a vengeance...

aubiefifty

I keep seeing people making reference to a statement Gus made about KF after the 2011 Chick Bowl. Did anyone expect him to say KF sucks, he'll never amount to anything at Auburn? Look, he recruited KF. He believed in him but "cant miss" prospects are not uncommon. They are everywhere in every sport. I couldn't possibly care less what Gus said about KF 2 years ago. That has zero relevance right now. If KF is going to be the guy, he is going to have to make the routine plays look routine. Last year he was nothing short of KB 2.0. He could not make the simplest throws consistently and when they were completed, in many cases, it was because the receiver made a great catch. HS performances and coach's comments from 2 years ago do precious little to instll much confidence in me but, hey, he's going to have his opportunity. We'll see if he can get it done. If he does, it wont be because of anything said about him 2 years ago or because he was an all world private school QB in Arkansas

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well gosh lets not waste our time on kf. rolls eyes. i would believe the coaching staff would have a better idea than us posters on who is any good and who is not. and since coach gus recruited kf i believe he owes it to give kf every chance in the world to succeed within reason.........

well gosh lets not waste our time on kf. rolls eyes. i would believe the coaching staff would have a better idea than us posters on who is any good and who is not. and since coach gus recruited kf i believe he owes it to give kf every chance in the world to succeed within reason.........

Just out of curiousity....where does your comment about "lets not waste time with kf" come from? All the QBs are going to get their opportunity to prove they're the guy. 3 years later I haven't seen what Gus apparently saw ...have you? Im pulling for the kid but, until he shows up and plays like the guy they thought they were getting when they signed him, I have a hard time saying he's the guy because he was great in HS and besides Gus said so 2 years ago...sorry!

<p>

<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />

<p>It's hard for me to believe there is a real QB competition going on this spring when, IMO, the strongest candidate is not in school yet. On the other hand, maybe the coaches can decide who will be the most serious challenger for NM...and allow NM enough reps for him to become familiar with the offense.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

I don't think it will be a four man competition in August...kind of like NM getting a "bye" this spring and moving to the finals when he shows up.</p><br /><br />

<br /><br />

Wow! Do you know something, we don't about KF? I mean you are completely writing him off? Maybe some inside info you can share.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

While I agree with 64 most days, I only need to remind you two of Gus' statement after the 2011 bowl game and that was after having him for a whole season. He didn't waffle, or even give a long pause. He felt then that KF would start in 2012. Then in regards to NM, I simply do not believe that CGM is planning on starting a QB he has only had on campus for a month and a half. Of which he will only practice with the team for a month. Cam had been in School since Jan. and still was just getting the feel of things.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

If Gus had not recruited KF nor made the statement he did after the bowl game then I would feel differently. If he had gotten a QB that could have enrolled in Janurary out of JUCO it would signal to me that he was desperate. So my $ is on Kiehl. (Obviously)<br /><br />

</p><br />

<br />

<br />

I'm not writing KF off...I'm just saying it's obvious that either KF or Wallace...one or the other will be ranked #1 coming out of spring practice.... and whoever is not #1 between them is sure not going to be #1 when the season starts. NM has to get as many reps as possible in the short time he has...and the way to that is to basically eliminate one of the two guys on campus now and then see if NM can beat out the winner in spring practice. At least that's how I would approach it.

<p>

<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />

<p>It's hard for me to believe there is a real QB competition going on this spring when, IMO, the strongest candidate is not in school yet. On the other hand, maybe the coaches can decide who will be the most serious challenger for NM...and allow NM enough reps for him to become familiar with the offense.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

I don't think it will be a four man competition in August...kind of like NM getting a "bye" this spring and moving to the finals when he shows up.</p><br /><br />

<br /><br />

Wow! Do you know something, we don't about KF? I mean you are completely writing him off? Maybe some inside info you can share.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

While I agree with 64 most days, I only need to remind you two of Gus' statement after the 2011 bowl game and that was after having him for a whole season. He didn't waffle, or even give a long pause. He felt then that KF would start in 2012. Then in regards to NM, I simply do not believe that CGM is planning on starting a QB he has only had on campus for a month and a half. Of which he will only practice with the team for a month. Cam had been in School since Jan. and still was just getting the feel of things.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

If Gus had not recruited KF nor made the statement he did after the bowl game then I would feel differently. If he had gotten a QB that could have enrolled in Janurary out of JUCO it would signal to me that he was desperate. So my $ is on Kiehl. (Obviously)<br /><br />

</p><br />

<br />

<br />

I'm not writing KF off...I'm just saying it's obvious that either KF or Wallace...one or the other will be ranked #1 coming out of spring practice.... and whoever is not #1 between them is sure not going to be #1 when the season starts. NM has to get as many reps as possible in the short time he has...and the way to that is to basically eliminate one of the two guys on campus now and then see if NM can beat out the winner in spring practice. At least that's how I would approach it.

They might not name a leader.

I watched a video (pay site) of practice with the teams running speed drills. It was a short video but I watched JW and a walk-on (#17) complete 2 short passes to the running backs flaring out of the backfield. KF missed the same 8 yard throw by about 4 yards. Looked very much like his throws from last season during games. His inaccuracy issues appear to still be a problem. Maybe it is a just a confidence issue but I don't think so.

It's hard for me to believe there is a real QB competition going on this spring when, IMO, the strongest candidate is not in school yet. On the other hand, maybe the coaches can decide who will be the most serious challenger for NM...and allow NM enough reps for him to become familiar with the offense.

I don't think it will be a four man competition in August...kind of like NM getting a "bye" this spring and moving to the finals when he shows up.

Wow! Do you know something, we don't about KF? I mean you are completely writing him off? Maybe some inside info you can share.

While I agree with 64 most days, I only need to remind you two of Gus' statement after the 2011 bowl game and that was after having him for a whole season. He didn't waffle, or even give a long pause. He felt then that KF would start in 2012. Then in regards to NM, I simply do not believe that CGM is planning on starting a QB he has only had on campus for a month and a half. Of which he will only practice with the team for a month. Cam had been in School since Jan. and still was just getting the feel of things.

If Gus had not recruited KF nor made the statement he did after the bowl game then I would feel differently. If he had gotten a QB that could have enrolled in Janurary out of JUCO it would signal to me that he was desperate. So my $ is on Kiehl. (Obviously)

They might not name a leader. I watched a video (pay site) of practice with the teams running speed drills. It was a short video but I watched JW and a walk-on (#17) complete 2 short passes to the running backs flaring out of the backfield. KF missed the same 8 yard throw by about 4 yards. Looked very much like his throws from last season during games. His inaccuracy issues appear to still be a problem. Maybe it is a just a confidence issue but I don't think so.
I guess that's possible but Gus said one of the goals was of spring practice was to develop a depth chart....and I would think that would include the QB. I just can't see them trying to sort out 5 QB candidates in the short time they have in the fall.

I believe in redemption but have we ever had a quarterback look more helpless than KF did a lot of the time last year? They did not bring in the guys they did if anyone thought he was the likely future starter. I wish him well but at 235 pounds he should start considering an h-back or inside receiver/tight end role a la Kodi Burns. He will not be the starting quarterback at Auburn ever again unless there are some extremely unlikely circumstances I don't think.

Just out of curiousity....where does your comment about "lets not waste time with kf" come from? All the QBs are going to get their opportunity to prove they're the guy. 3 years later I haven't seen what Gus apparently saw ...have you? Im pulling for the kid but, until he shows up and plays like the guy they thought they were getting when they signed him, I have a hard time saying he's the guy because he was great in HS and besides Gus said so 2 years ago...sorry!

some folks on this board already want to throw kf under the bus because of last year or so it would seem from some of the comments made. and gus believed in him enough to try him at wildcat to let him get his feet wet. i believe in my heart gus will get more mileage out of kf than the last coaching staff did. if you look at the time kf already has with gus i would assume its possible he would already have an advantage over the other qb's at the moment. i cannot and will not say kf will definately be our starter but if he can get back on track it might be hard to beat him out.

At the end of the day it's Malzanh's decision. Having said that, it will not be Kiel Frazier. Gus was recruiting Nick Marshall to Arky State to be his QB. I don't think him coming to Auburn changes things. If Malzahn thought for one minute that KF was the guy I think Nick Marshall never enters the picture. But, we shall see...

some folks on this board already want to throw kf under the bus because of last year or so it would seem from some of the comments made. and gus believed in him enough to try him at wildcat to let him get his feet wet. i believe in my heart gus will get more mileage out of kf than the last coaching staff did. if you look at the time kf already has with gus i would assume its possible he would already have an advantage over the other qb's at the moment. i cannot and will not say kf will definately be our starter but if he can get back on track it might be hard to beat him out.

I for one don't think the time KF has with Gus offers any advantage whatsoever when said person cannot routinely complete an 8 yard pass. It is what it is and it doesn't appear to have changed much since last year. A QB has to be able to hit an 8 yard pass 10 outta 10 and at the SEC level that's a baseline requirement. Good luck to all the kids trying to win the job.

3 things.

1. I cannot write off anybody because of last year's performance. Almost everyone at every position underperformed. It was probably magnified at the QB position

2. Frazier and Wallace both seem to be great kids that are easy to root for. I am glad they are both AU tigers and I will root for both of them

3. I have a great deal of confidence when it comes to Gus and the QB position. He will find the right guy quickly and work with him to make him the best QB he can be

War Eagle!

3 things.

1. I cannot write off anybody because of last year's performance. Almost everyone at every position underperformed. It was probably magnified at the QB position

2. Frazier and Wallace both seem to be great kids that are easy to root for. I am glad they are both AU tigers and I will root for both of them

3. I have a great deal of confidence when it comes to Gus and the QB position. He will find the right guy quickly and work with him to make him the best QB he can be

War Eagle!

agreed....it's just a "process" of elimination ....and that "process" is under way now.

There is a clarity of mission when you take on a rebuilding project.

I do not expect many false starts in his player evaluations, esp. @ the QB position.

Personally, I believe Nick Marshall will be our starter next year.

Out of the spring practice it is between Wallace and Fraizer.

JJ will be the starter next year. If NM doesn't start this year...he'll be at another position.

At the end of the day it's Malzanh's decision. Having said that, it will not be Kiel Frazier. Gus was recruiting Nick Marshall to Arky State to be his QB. I don't think him coming to Auburn changes things. If Malzahn thought for one minute that KF was the guy I think Nick Marshall never enters the picture. But, we shall see...

Valid points.

This may-be bad news for some of Y'all but Lashlee says: "KF runs much better at this weight". He went on to say: "KF has the best arm strength we just need to get him more consistent."

Sounds like KF starting 1st week in Sep.

This may-be bad news for some of Y'all but Lashlee says: "KF runs much better at this weight". He went on to say: "KF has the best arm strength we just need to get him more consistent."

Reach much? Are you a relative of KF?

wde

3 things.

War Eagle!

^^Every bit of this^^

Glad we know the starter after 2 days of Spring practice.

wde

To be honest, just looking for reactions. Four weeks into the season last year people said I was crazy when I posted, "Gus will hopefully be our next head coach".

We will just have to wait and see on KF!

wde

+1 That's a HUGE reach! lol.

wde

+1 That's a HUGE reach! lol.

If arm strength was all that mattered it'd be a no brainer until NM gets there. However, I cant help but remember the smile that came over CGM's face when he spoke about NM being able to throw a football 70 yards. I just want the best one to play and I am certain that will happen. To think anything a coach says 2 days into spring drills would indicate who the starter would be in the fall is pretty silly, especially given the situation now.

Archived