i believe kiehl frazier comes back with a vengeance...

aubiefifty

A-DAY game takeaways:

1. My take on the QBs.

A. Wallace is definitely ahead of Frazier.

Wallace is just a more comfortable field general and seems more comfortable in his role as QB.

Frazier still has problems making quick decisions. KF is a better runner and that is his only strength over Wallace right now.

B. Both QBs need work.

Wallace was better, but still had some issues.

C. Nick Marshall will be the starter

If he works hard in the summer and catches on to the fast pace and playbook, I think he will be like CAP, another JUCO solid

player.

D. Hope JJ can redshirt. We will need him in two years after NM leaves.

2. My take on the O-Line

A. Unless our D is horrible, O-Line much improved over last year.

3. My take on receivers.

A. Still do not know who is the best. Louis had some good plays, as did Bray.

4. My take on the RBs

A. If the O-Line continues to gel and improve, 2000+ yards on the ground is a given!

B. Mason looked good, even though not 100%. He is a flash and slash runner

C. CAP, OMG!! Ben Tate #2!

D. Wanted to see Grant who we here is having a great spring, but fever kept him off the field.

4. My take on Defense.

A. Lots of work needed. If our Offense would had one QB, I think they could have scored 40+ easily.

B. Defensive highlights were on busted Offensive Plays

C. Mincy (despite being barred from returning) and Garret were the main beast!

5. Special teams

A. Not much to see, but could not hit a Field Goal passed 40 yards.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's interesting how many people are writing off KF and/or JW when they have 4 months to work with their receivers and get a rhythm going before they have to play in a real game. Now that they know the system Gus is putting in place, I would be willing to bet both will be improved, possibly a lot, by the time Fall gets here.

I think the point is that this is not all new to them. Gus was only gone for one year. I'm sure they will improve and I don't think one player played much better than the other. I'm just saying that I hope this is not the best we will have when the season starts. If it is the best we have then I see us being better than last year but still very average. A day games are always hard to digest because you are playing against yourself. I will say this though the fans sure turned out in support for the team and I'm sure they all welcomed it after the poor season last year.

It was hard to learn anything about KF yet because the defense was "pulling their punches" and not hitting the QBs. He could/would have been sacked hard a couple of times in a real game situation and then we could have seen how he (and JW) responded after having their bells rung a bit. With almost no pass rush, I expected both QBs to hit most of their passes.....but they missed some open receivers and also hung the receivers out to dry several times.....and that's a really bad thing...as Reeves learned. Until the coaches allow the QBs to take some hits, we won't know too much...JMO.

"What I really can't wrap my brain around is how some are singing the praises of a player not even on campus that they have never seen other than a highlight tape, and was on defense 17 months ago, who was dismissed from school for stealing from his teammates."

My thoughts exactly!!

I think it's pretty easy actually....

1. We have seen what we have, and we have to have better.

2. His highlights are pretty spectacular, as were his stats. He appears to have more natural talent than our current options.

3. What he was playing 17 months ago is irrelevant, he played qb for four years before that and for a year after.

4. Stealing from his teammates is irrelevant to how good he is at football.

5. Our coaching staff knows more about football than all of us combined and they are willing to burn a scholarship to bring him in right now, and only have him for a couple of years. At qb.

If nothing else, I think that the real battle may end up being between nm and jj. All of this is of course just one guy's opinion.

1. No one can argue that

2. His running highlights are incredible, but he has a long way to go with throwing mechanics. But the thing is you can make a highlight tape of me playing a pickup game of basketball and I'm sure on a long of timescale I could have a pretty good clip. I wish we were able to see an actual game tape of him. But the coaches do have access to that so I'll trust their judgement. Like you said they know way more than all of us lol. But If we're just gonna go off of highlight tapes, JJ looks the best out of all 4. I'm really starting to feel he will be the man by the LSU game.

3. I think it's very relevant. Another SEC team has already determined him not to be an SEC quality QB. I don't believe he was even recruited as a QB coming out of high school.

4. It may be irrelevant to how he plays the game, but it still bothers me. I know we all make mistakes but this is someone who some are expecting to lead the team. I know people will make Newton comparisons, but I feel that buying a stolen laptop and breaking into your teammates lockers are two different animals entirely. It just doesn't sit well with me. Not saying he's the same person, and I hope he's ready to prove he's grateful for the second chance opportunity.

5. Yes he'll get his shot at QB. He'll get every opportunity to win the job. But I feel at the end of the day the coaches were willing to take a shot on him because of his ability to fill in at multiple positions. It was really a no lose situation.

It was hard to learn anything about KF yet because the defense was "pulling their punches" and not hitting the QBs. He could/would have been sacked hard a couple of times in a real game situation and then we could have seen how he (and JW) responded after having their bells rung a bit. With almost no pass rush, I expected both QBs to hit most of their passes.....but they missed some open receivers and also hung the receivers out to dry several times.....and that's a really bad thing...as Reeves learned. Until the coaches allow the QBs to take some hits, we won't know too much...JMO.

Agree, but Gus cannot take chances with our QBs until we have more in the stable. We cannot afford to have the only two scholly QBs to be a risk for serious injury right now. Would handicap the Spring practices for the entire O and D.

I think it's interesting how many people are writing off KF and/or JW when they have 4 months to work with their receivers and get a rhythm going before they have to play in a real game. Now that they know the system Gus is putting in place, I would be willing to bet both will be improved, possibly a lot, by the time Fall gets here.

I agree with you.

Agree, but Gus cannot take chances with our QBs until we have more in the stable. We cannot afford to have the only two scholly QBs to be a risk for serious injury right now. Would handicap the Spring practices for the entire O and D.

You are absolutely right...my only point was that last season we saw the effect of a strong rush and some major hits on our QBs and it wasn't a pretty sight. Yesterday they were able to take lots of time to size up their receivers and look over the field without fear that some big DE was going to de-cleat them. Last season KF in particular (but generally any QB) was obviously more antsy about the rush as the season progressed and it affected his pass selection and accuracy. Stats from a controlled scrimmage don't mean much though with plenty of time to throw, I thought the accuracy would have been better. The contest for QB is far from over.....JMO.

"What I really can't wrap my brain around is how some are singing the praises of a player not even on campus that they have never seen other than a highlight tape, and was on defense 17 months ago, who was dismissed from school for stealing from his teammates."

My thoughts exactly!!

2. His highlights are pretty spectacular, as were his stats. He appears to have more natural talent than our current options.

3. What he was playing 17 months ago is irrelevant, he played qb for four years before that and for a year after.

5. Our coaching staff knows more about football than all of us combined and they are willing to burn a scholarship to bring him in right now, and only have him for a couple of years. At qb.

If nothing else, I think that the real battle may end up being between nm and jj. All of this is of course just one guy's opinion.

3. I think it's very relevant. Another SEC team has already determined him not to be an SEC quality QB. I don't believe he was even recruited as a QB coming out of high school.

The only fly in the ointment to your point is that the team you refer to, Georgia, the one that didn't recruit NM as a QB and played him as a CB, is the same team that would only consider recruiting Cam Newton as a TE.

My thoughts exactly!!

The only fly in the ointment to your point is that the team you refer to, Georgia, the one that didn't recruit NM as a QB and played him as a CB, is the same team that would only consider recruiting Cam Newton as a TE.

Ha yea I remember people sayin that, but did anyone actually ever confirm it? The thing that would stand out to me in that case would be that Cam knew he was a QB, while NM would be conceding that a he would be better off at a different position. If he thought his future was at QB he would have signed with a school that gave him that option coming out of high school.

My thoughts exactly!!

Ha yea I remember people sayin that, but did anyone actually ever confirm it? The thing that would stand out to me in that case would be that Cam knew he was a QB, while NM would be conceding that a he would be better off at a different position. If he thought his future was at QB he would have signed with a school that gave him that option coming out of high school.

At the time I guess that would also be true, yes.

My thoughts exactly!!

In doing a little research back when NM signed with us....many UGA fans did state NM asked to play CB b/c he thought he had a better chance of getting into the NFL as a CB rather a QB. They recruited him more as an ATH...with the option to play either QB/CB depending on the team's need but NM insisted on play CB. His high school coach was also quoted as saying that QB is where his heart is at but felt he made the decision that would be best for his future in football. And that he rediscovered his love for QB while in JC.

In addition UGA fans spoke on the Cam TE situation and a vast majority did state that was the case if Cam would wish to attend UGA..he would've had to become a TE. They were pretty upset about it on various message boards and critizied the coaching staff quite a bit at not having the ability to accurately evaluate talent...esp. on offense. Many are not fans of Bobo.

My thoughts exactly!!

This. While NM may end up being a CB for AU, he was not recruited to AU to be a CB. He was recruited to AU to be a QB. Those that still refuse to acknowledge this are relatives, close family friends or (even more laughable) message board groupies of one of yesterday's QB's family. If AU is going to win 7 or more games next season we need NM or JJ to come in ready this summer or worst case, JW to improve a lot. If NM or JJ have give half the effort/work ethic as JW we wil likely have a competitive SEC QB.

wde

My thoughts exactly!!

And I'm trying to remember the last time they won a championship of any sort! Look, I still pull for Kiehl and I will continue. I don't understand the vile that is spewed by many towards KF. He may never make a great SEC QB. He still doesn't deserve what is said about him. I'm trying to remember another player who has been reported to attend children's hospitals and other charities ON THEIR OWN. Help me out someone, tell me why other than the fact he (nor anyone else) played well last year? Have we written off other players? Jordan Diamond was rated highly by everyone. I have yet to see multiple threads pointing out the fact that he can't crack the line-up at OT or G! Wehave kids at every position who need coaching and they need success to bolster their confidence. That's tough when all you see is negative. And mostly by posters who have never played a down of football. I hope our guys have developed a thick skin as there are enough reporters writing negative things about our team. They don't need it from the people that are supposed to be pulling for them.

My thoughts exactly!!

This. While NM may end up being a CB for AU, he was not recruited to AU to be a CB. He was recruited to AU to be a QB. Those that still refuse to acknowledge this are relatives, close family friends or (even more laughable) message board groupies of one of yesterday's QB's family. If AU is going to win 7 or more games next season we need NM or JJ to come in ready this summer or worst case, JW to improve a lot. If NM or JJ have give half the effort/work ethic as JW we wil likely have a competitive SEC QB.

wde

Who said NM wasn't recruited to be given a shot at QB? All I have ever said is that the coaches know if that he doesn't pan out at QB he has already proven himself in the SEC at DB. He could probably also fill in at returner or possibly slot receiver. If you have the numbers available you would be crazy not to take a player with that kind of athletic ability. By suggesting that someone is a relative or groupies of a player for not bashing them or understanding another player has the abilities to play other positions if he doesn't succeed at the position he was originally recruited for is what is really laughable. The only people who would diagree are jackasses, morons, shadow, tools, shortsighted, irrational, simpleminded, etc.

My thoughts exactly!!

wde

Who said NM wasn't recruited to be given a shot at QB? All I have ever said is that the coaches know if that he doesn't pan out at QB he has already proven himself in the SEC at DB. He could probably also fill in at returner or possibly slot receiver. If you have the numbers available you would be crazy not to take a player with that kind of athletic ability. By suggesting that someone is a relative or groupies of a player for not bashing them or understanding another player has the abilities to play other positions if he doesn't succeed at the position he was originally recruited for is what is really laughable. The only people who would diagree are jackasses, morons, shadow, tools, shortsighted, irrational, simpleminded, etc.

So what is KF's other position to play?

My thoughts exactly!!

wde

Right before the part you underlined is the word "another" lol.

After reading this page a couple thoughts spring immediately to mind. The QB is always going to be discussed more than offensive linemen...its just the nature of the position. UGa didn't determine that NM was not an SEC caliber QB. They determined that based on what they already had at that position, he could probably help the team more at CB. We're in trouble if NM doesn't live up to the hype at QB. I didn't see anything yesterday that leads me to believe that we currently have a QB that can win in the SEC. Could I be wrong?...absolutely and frankly I hope I am but they looked about the same to me as they did last year. If they improved, it was a marginal improvement at best IMO.

I don't think anyone is anti Kiehl. The kid has had two very tough years at Auburn and it is not all his fault. The excuse many made for Keihl (especially LY) was he played in a Gus O since the seventh grade. He has only had 4 months with Gus since his return, but my guess is MANY Auburn people (including myself) expected to see a better performance yesterday playing in a Gus O again. Even Gus did not allow him to throw the ball much as a freshman, but we chalked it up to being a freshman. Last year we had many problems , but his accuracy and decision making was still a problem. Keihl might develop into the stud QB we thought we signed, but with some of same problems showing up yesterday I am concerned. I am not knocking the kid and know he is a class act, but I am concerned for many reasons. First, our entire O's confidence is probably fragile and could easily be in the "here we go again" mode quickly if our QB can't lead the team and make good decisions to consistently move the sticks. Second, we need our D to have faith in our O (especially QB play) to know they won't be living on the field. They won't consistently attack if they see themselves playing most of the snaps in the game and will playing to survive 4 quarters. Third, we are still losing players (ex> Florence, McNeal ?, etc) and need a top 5 class to get back on track with some impact players and quality depth. If we don't overachieve this year (fair or not) trying to turn in a top 10 class even with RG & DC will be a tall order. Obviously all this works together, but we still come back to the uneasy feeling of not having a solid QB. I don't know if NM or JJ or even JS will offer competition, but I hope one of these three guys shock the hell out of us in a good way.

War Eagle !

I disagree with people saying that others on this board are saying bad stuff or against KF. the fact is that he hasn't lived up to all he hype he had coming out of High School. I don't see where anyone has said he was a bad person or a terrible QB. He just hasn't been an SEC caliber QB. And that is the league Auburn plays in. Saturday he didn't do anything to change anyone's mind about his play. Everyone wants him to be good but he just isn't there right now so people are hoping that the guy we haven't seen yet will be the QB that can take us back to the top of the league.

I've been a Frazier fan since the beginning (except that I was hoping we'd sign Driskel instead), and have finally reached the point that I don't think he has what it takes to play SEC QB. Auburn has had other QB's start out terribly and yet become strong QBs (Leard, Campbell and Cox, for example), but Frazier doesn't seem to be able to make the short, crisp easy throws, or to make good decisions on a consistent basis. I think he could rush for 600 yards this year in Gus's offense, and he has the arm to throw the deep ball. But something with him is just off...and I'm afraid it's all mental, and that his confidence is just shot. Mark Sanchez is a good case in point of a very talented player, who after losing his mental edge just performs poorly from then on. I think this is the issue with Frazier.Marshall looks more like an Oregon QB, and if he can make good decisions, he will be a better dual threat QB for us. He may not start, but I see more potential in him than Frazier, and I simply don't consider Wallace an SEC QB. Between Frazier and Wallace, I see one of those two transferring after this season.

I disagree with people saying that others on this board are saying bad stuff or against KF. the fact is that he hasn't lived up to all he hype he had coming out of High School. I don't see where anyone has said he was a bad person or a terrible QB. He just hasn't been an SEC caliber QB. And that is the league Auburn plays in. Saturday he didn't do anything to change anyone's mind about his play. Everyone wants him to be good but he just isn't there right now so people are hoping that the guy we haven't seen yet will be the QB that can take us back to the top of the league.

+1.

I think we can officially put the premise of this thread to bed. KF coming back with a vengeance seems more like a hope and prayer than it does a reality. I don't see it but we need somebody to play QB so I hope he can get it going. Everything I've seen from him thus far leads me to believe KF = Billy Beane......Hoping Auburn can win 6 next year!

My thoughts exactly!!

wde

Right before the part you underlined is the word "another" lol.

Yep I noticed that....and just figured that since several of the lead-in comments related to NM that perhaps the "another player" in the comment might have been directed to KF. With all the discussion to the effect that NM could end up playing somewhere other than QB I was just wondering what KF's fallback position might be if per chance NM beat him out to start. :-\ Just trying to take the discussion to it's logical next step.

This. KF may well be a competent QB on the Jax State or South Alabama level. He just hasn't shown (since he has been at AU) to be a competent QB on the traditional AU SEC level. I am also not disputing that KF visits kids in the hospital and is a good guy, but that has nothing to do with his play on the field. JW hasn't proven to be a competent SEC QB either, but at least he seems to have some leadership ability and his work ethic has been outstanding.

wde

Archived