anyone got any info on melvin ray?

aubiefifty

I miss the days when you could bitch slap someone around here without everyone freaking out. It cut down on worthless posting quite a bit. You had to think twice before posting some stupid crap. That is all.

Could be that some of us old AE.com members brought a few manners over here when we merged?

We weren't allowed to use too much profanity or rude name calling over there - we weren't allowed to be too vocal with our negative views of any coaches/players on any team - you'd get chastize for even mentioning that there was a possibility that something was "wrong" with the team/locker room chemistry - and if you uttered too many negative remarks about the physical appearance or the glarring weaknesses that our players displayed vs our rivals you'd get called down real quick.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and yet you answer his proposed questions with an ass-hat retort...weird

You better stop reading now! The vue gets weirder...metafourically speaking. :cool:

You better stop reading now! The vue gets weirder...metafourically speaking. :cool:

Believe this old buddy...the fact that you feel the way you do about my posts, having read a significant number of yours, is very comforting to me. You can be assured , however, I'll never mention you in an unsolicited fashion, and this is not the 1st time, like you do me

You better stop reading now! The vue gets weirder...metafourically speaking. :cool: (Wait for it...)

Believe this old buddy...the fact that you feel the way you do about my posts, having read a significant number of yours, is very comforting to me. You can be assured , however, I'll never mention you in an unsolicited fashion, and this is not the 1st time, like you do me

Should have added...

I miss the days when you could bitch slap someone around here without everyone freaking out. It cut down on worthless posting quite a bit. You had to think twice before posting some stupid crap. That is all.

Could be that some of us old AE.com members brought a few manners over here when we merged?

We weren't allowed to use too much profanity or rude name calling over there - we weren't allowed to be too vocal with our negative views of any coaches/players on any team - you'd get chastize for even mentioning that there was a possibility that something was "wrong" with the team/locker room chemistry - and if you uttered too many negative remarks about the physical appearance or the glarring weaknesses that our players displayed vs our rivals you'd get called down real quick.

Of course, AE proved to be nonviable which lead to its demise and much of what you just posted is why. The only thing that was good about AE of the things you listed was the strictness on not allowing profanity and not allowing rude name calling.

Back to the subject at hand, Ray will be a feel good story if he ever contributes beyond special teams. metafour is probably accurate (he just has a poor way of making his points) on his opinion on Ray. Based on QBDad's posts from his observations of practice or inside information, he was proven not to be very reliable.

wde

Name a receiver that did anything of note last year besides Blake............nobody. The book is still open on all these guys...like Gus said its anew day, and positions will be earned.....I wish some fans could understand that. Just enjoy the ride and come Sept we will see who earned it...

LMAOOOOOO Frazier's dads opinions that I have been exposed to, in my basic knowledge have included:

-- Frazier will "not be the wildcat QB. Period." his freshman year

-- Melvin Ray will be a breakout contributer (last year)

Maybe my sample size is really small, but thats 100% fraudulent. At this point, there are posters on this board who's insight holds more weight than QBdad

Also really quick -- to the thought that things were different at AE vs AUF...This site was incredibly enjoyable and informative prior to the merger. Now there is so much trash you have you sift through before getting something substantial. Add in the name calling and whatnot and this seems so much less organized and mature. I'm not sure how to particularly "fix" this type of thing if I owned a site like this.

That being said I love this website and IDK what I would do without it. Nobody is making me continue to visit here, so I hope my view is viewed as constructive criticism as opposed to bashing the website.

Name a receiver that did anything of note last year besides Blake............nobody. The book is still open on all these guys...like Gus said its anew day, and positions will be earned.....I wish some fans could understand that. Just enjoy the ride and come Sept we will see who earned it...

Sammie Coates

Sammie Coates

Really? all I remember are his drops and the one Hail Mary catch against LAMO...what else he do? Coates has the goods, speed, size, etc...just needs coaching and be placed in a better position to do more. I expect all players to look and perform better this season including Ray.

Sammie Coates

Really? all I remember are his drops and the one Hail Mary catch against LAMO...what else he do? Coates has the goods, speed, size, etc...just needs coaching and be placed in a better position to do more. I expect all players to look and perform better this season including Ray.

Without that catch against LAMO, we lose the game. Sammie has the physical tools. He just drops too many. Put him on a JUGS machine everyday.

Too many punts for me to analyze wrs.

Not much to analyze at this point but if one was apt to do so an honest analysis would have to look something like this. Appearances would lead one to believe that this group was vastly over -hyped when they signed but if thats not the case then they've drastically under-performed against given the hype which possibly created unrealistic expectations Frankly, I dont know what Auburn has at the WR position other than for a lack of better description..a lot of unrealized potential. Hopefully someone will deliver this year. if they do not, WR will end up looking like one of the weaker positions on the team.

We had NO wrs going into 09. Benton and blake were going to carry us. Then out of nowhere we got exceptional production with an offensive philosophy and an untalented qb. Reset.

Benton and Blake? I don't think anyone expected Emory to carry the team as a true freshman. Not sure what years you meant there.

Regardless. No we didn't have any real production at WR last year. Sammie Coates made noise about leadership and this and that, but he didn't really produce on the field. Was that his fault? Not entirely. We had an offensive coordinator that never developed a philosophy or feel for his personnel and only got worse as the season wore on (and desperation set in). We had QBs that were consistently asked to do things that they were either incapable of doing or ill-prepared to do. We rarely ever tailored the gameplan to fit our QBs and team strength (running the ball over and over and over again). We saw inaccurate throws in the short and mid-range all season, from all three QBs, which limited the ability of any receiver to consistently move the chains or make something happen after the catch. It was just a brutal season. I don't really fault Coates or Uzomah or Reed or Bray or Ray for failing to shine given the circumstances.

This year, I don't expect a great deal from Melvin Ray, but honestly, that comes from a place of ignorance more than anything else. I didn't see him play in HS, and he obviously didn't play a great deal (other than special teams) last season. Given that, it's hard to believe, with anything more than wild and unfounded optimism, that he's going to have a breakout season. If he gives us quality special teams play, solid blocking and 15 receptions, I'll call that a very successful season.

People expect too much out of a walk-on WR that was out of the game for a significant amount of time. Melvin Ray wasn't even some all-world receiver out of HS either. FSU was slow-playing him big time (he tried to come back, they turned him away) and UF wasn't even interested.

I agree and wrote something similar last summer. Was dissed by many including QBdad who thought Ray would be an impact player last year. Maybe it will happen this year.

Well, he dissed a lot of folks. He could say whatever he wanted and you couldn't reply for fear of being banned. Like shootin fish in a barrel when it can only be a one way "discussion". Oh well, looks like he was wrong about more than a few things to say the least.

We had NO wrs going into 09. Benton and blake were going to carry us. Then out of nowhere we got exceptional production with an offensive philosophy and an untalented qb. Reset.

Actually Montez Billings was supposed to be the "go-to" receiver going into 2009 but off field issues kept him off the field. He was the second leading receiver the year before with 34 games of experience and 55 career receptions. Tim Hawthorne was expected to step up as a junior but that fizzed out. Darvin Adams had a great spring and summer and the coaches were very high on him entering the 2009 season. He did not let them down.

People expect too much out of a walk-on WR that was out of the game for a significant amount of time. Melvin Ray wasn't even some all-world receiver out of HS either. FSU was slow-playing him big time (he tried to come back, they turned him away) and UF wasn't even interested.

I agree and wrote something similar last summer. Was dissed by many including QBdad who thought Ray would be an impact player last year. Maybe it will happen this year.

Well, he dissed a lot of folks. He could say whatever he wanted and you couldn't reply for fear of being banned. Like shootin fish in a barrel when it can only be a one way "discussion". Oh well, looks like he was wrong about more than a few things to say the least.

I thought the discussion was about Melvin Ray?

Too many punts for me to analyze wrs.

Not much to analyze at this point but if one was apt to do so an honest analysis would have to look something like this. Appearances would lead one to believe that this group was vastly over -hyped when they signed but if thats not the case then they've drastically under-performed against given the hype which possibly created unrealistic expectations Frankly, I dont know what Auburn has at the WR position other than for a lack of better description..a lot of unrealized potential. Hopefully someone will deliver this year. if they do not, WR will end up looking like one of the weaker positions on the team.

Hallelujah - Just take a quick glance at total number of FIRST DOWNS over last 5 years....

• YEAR - AUB - OPP
  • ------------------------
  • 2012 - 186 - 263
  • 2011 - 227 - 291
  • 2010 - 344 - 299
  • 2009 - 266 - 268
  • 2008 - 198 - 204

... and being out scored by 116 (224 to 340) - it certainly wasn't a case of scoring or moving the ball much of anywhere.

Yeah, your right, threads never ever get off topic around here to any degree.

:banghead:

He never posted again once Kiehl was named a starter. Everyone was wrong about a'lot last year. If you want to "diss" someone how about finding an example of when he "dissed" anyone or of when someone got banned for disagreeing with him. 90% of his posts were responses to questions from others. We had zero offense last year with very few WR's ever playing. I guess you guys were the only ones that were right about last year. Although you provide zero evidence of anything you are saying. He was also giving reports of workouts because people asked him to. If he could go back I'm certain he would never have posted but he was a proud father and he loves his son and his friends of which Melvin is to Kiehl.

Believe me when I tell you that most parents that had to go through what he did last year would have gotten their son and left. They have stuck it out, NEVER ONCE did either of them blame others complain to anyone about the way they were treated last year. (And it was viscious at times) We are all so sorry if you got harassed and/or your feelings hurt if you got a negative response to a negative post. And you should blame him for last year, how dare he go around and getting everyone's hopes up. Who does he think he is anyway?

Also your complaint of one-sided conversations should be directed at yourself. He isn't able to come on here and defend himself so if it makes you feel like a tough guy to complain a year later and not allow him any rebuttal then that is sad. Tell ya what...never mind it isn't worth it. Bring some evidence next time you want to "diss" a player or one of their family members, otherwise STFU!

MODS: I did my best on this. More could be said but quite frankly it wouldn't help anyway.

:banghead:/>

He never posted again once Kiehl was named a starter. Everyone was wrong about a'lot last year. If you want to "diss" someone how about finding an example of when he "dissed" anyone or of when someone got banned for disagreeing with him. 90% of his posts were responses to questions from others. We had zero offense last year with very few WR's ever playing. I guess you guys were the only ones that were right about last year. Although you provide zero evidence of anything you are saying. He was also giving reports of workouts because people asked him to. If he could go back I'm certain he would never have posted but he was a proud father and he loves his son and his friends of which Melvin is to Kiehl.

Believe me when I tell you that most parents that had to go through what he did last year would have gotten their son and left. They have stuck it out, NEVER ONCE did either of them blame others complain to anyone about the way they were treated last year. (And it was viscious at times) We are all so sorry if you got harassed and/or your feelings hurt if you got a negative response to a negative post. And you should blame him for last year for going around and getting your hopes up. Who does he think he is anyway?

Also your complaint of one-sided conversations should be directed at yourself. He isn't able to come on here and defend himself so if it makes you feel like a tough guy to complain a year later and not allow him any rebuttal then that is sad. Tell ya what...never mind it isn't worth it. Bring some evidence next time you want to "diss" a player or one of their family members, otherwise STFU!

MODS: I did my best on this. More could be said but quite frankly it wouldn't help anyway.

Amen

:banghead:/>

Believe me when I tell you that most parents that had to go through what he did last year would have gotten their son and left. They have stuck it out, NEVER ONCE did either of them blame others complain to anyone about the way they were treated last year. (And it was viscious at times) We are all so sorry if you got harassed and/or your feelings hurt if you got a negative response to a negative post. And you should blame him for last year for going around and getting your hopes up. Who does he think he is anyway?

Amen

-2 Several did try to question QBDad's transparent over-exuberance in a non-confrontational manner, but were met with posts being deleted, banning or the typical lemming attack posts. Constructive questioning and criticism is never a bad thing. Ugly, profane, infantile and juvenile responses are not good and should be moderated. The same goes for blind, head-in-the-sand, "don't dare question a parent or coach" mob mentality.

wde

:banghead:

Believe me when I tell you that most parents that had to go through what he did last year would have gotten their son and left. They have stuck it out, NEVER ONCE did either of them blame others complain to anyone about the way they were treated last year. (And it was viscious at times) We are all so sorry if you got harassed and/or your feelings hurt if you got a negative response to a negative post. And you should blame him for last year, how dare he go around and getting everyone's hopes up. Who does he think he is anyway?

Evidence? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sorry counselor, but providing you with comments made through literally hundreds of pages of threads from a closed fan site made a year ago is a little more involved than I'd like to get in to. I have an opinion about how this guy treated folks on AE and I'd bet I'm not the only one who feels that way- you don't have to agree. It's real simple. Also, I'd question if I actually "dissed" a player or his family as you said. I didn't say a single bad word about Kiehl, and used no disparaging words or personal attacks on either. If your this butthurt over my differing viewpoint then I don't know what to tell ya except I stand by what I said period. If anybody needs to STFU, it's you pal. Different opinion doesn't make you right.

And difference of opinion doesn't make you right as well does it?....fact is there was name calling and personal attacks by a nunber of people and the easiest fix is a mass deletion of post...there's a line between having a different opinion than someone else and spewing out personal attacks which started this now drawn out debate

Archived