1993 Auburn Tigers

WarEagle1982

Y'all can disagree, but I believe Terry Bowden was our best in game/halftime adjustment coach since before Dye. Certainly Tommy helped, but the game to game and second half adjustments were spot on. #fightme

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, CMRVHS said:

Y'all can disagree, but I believe Terry Bowden was our best in game/halftime adjustment coach since before Dye. Certainly Tommy helped, but the game to game and second half adjustments were spot on. #fightme

I agree and I still think he's a good coach. I don't have any inside info or really know what went on behind closed doors back then, but just from a far it seemed like TB had sort of a nervous breakdown as his tenure at AU progressed. There was a lot of pressure to duplicate that '93 season and he just seemed to struggle with it mentally. I remember feeling a bit concerned for his health and wishing he could come to grips with it and develop into a really good coach for us. That obviously never happened.

It's a theme that has repeated at AU several times. Extreme success early on in a tenure is great for the fans, but it creates a ton of pressure on the coaches and team. And due to not yet having the proper foundation, becomes next to impossible to sustain. 

I'm hoping that the next regime has a more balanced upward trend that can be sustainable without creating the extreme pressure. But with the new landscape in College sports, I am highly skeptical that AU can ever become one of the power teams. Hope they prove me wrong.

On 3/9/2013 at 7:23 AM, WarEagle1982 said:

I was looking through some old stuff the other day and came across some magazines (one of them being the Sports Illustrated with Ace Atkins on the front) and videos I have on the 93 team. I was like, " Has it really been 20 years?" That was one of the best falls ever even though they were not on t.v. I was recently sitting next to Patrick Nix at a coaching clinic, and it took me back to the exact place where I was huddled around that little radio when he threw the 4th down touchdown to Frank Sanders to spark the comeback in the Iron Bowl. Great memories!

I was fortunate to be at every home game that season and close to 30 years now........Have pics in a photo album on the bookshelf in my office from that game and several others.......I did miss Florida game due company event in New Orleans.

Still believe that was one of the best if not THE best offensive lines Auburn has fielded since I have been a fan(1975) in my opinion

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CMRVHS said:

I have posted the same sentiments repeatedly 

19 hours ago, Viper said:

I’d love to get Fyffe’s opening monologue for the 93 Florida game from you. That one has always escaped me. I can trade you something you need. PM me. 

I'll have to find the UF tape, but I've pm'd you about the 93 IB  intro.

1993 Auburn Tigers...National Radio Champions! What a freshman year we had.  Listening to Jim Fyffe on those road game Saturdays was awesome. Still miss that man, as well as Rod.  Golden voices quieted way too early.

i remember was it bostic{?} who had to calm terry down in the tunnel because he was so nervous his whole body was shacking. he said that was why they won all their games because no one wanted to let coach down because he could get almost sick with worry. well it was reala close to that. i hope i got the right running back.................lol

On 10/15/2022 at 8:04 AM, fredst said:

I have posted the same sentiments repeatedly 

Same here. Recall a certain crazy play vs SC in Columbia on a Saturday. He ran to the officials and asked that they stop and think about a call made. Worked in our favor.