2013 5* LB Reuben Foster (Alabama signee)

aubfan25

Let's not put too much pressure on these freshman, it's hard for any player to step in and make a difference as a true freshman

Agreed. As great as Takeo Spikes was as a freshman, it took him a few games to break into the starting line up.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not put too much pressure on these freshman, it's hard for any player to step in and make a difference as a true freshman

Agreed. As great as Takeo Spikes was as a freshman, it took him a few games to break into the starting line up.

i HATE to go here, but TJY says hello. there are SOME players that have major impact in their first year. This kid has the stuff to do just that. IMO.

i HATE to go here, but TJY says hello. there are SOME players that have major impact in their first year. This kid has the stuff to do just that. IMO.

starting at running back as a freshman is way different than playing middle linebacker on defense. Running Back is probably the easiest position to start at for a freshman, especially if they don't have to worry about picking up a blitz and are running behind a o-line that are all first or second round picks. Beyond that pointing out one kid as proof is silly. Yes freshman do start, but it is not the norm, not even close.

so sorry to be "silly", but i was pointing out one that had instant impact that hits close to home. That said, i think with a little digging we can find some on the defensive side of the all that also had big impact their freshman year. No, it is not too commonplace, however it does happen, and RF is just the kind of freak that could do just that. Don't sell this kid short. There is a reason that almost every college program in the country wants this kid. He is a difference maker. that's all

so sorry to be "silly", but i was pointing out one that had instant impact that hits close to home. That said, i think with a little digging we can find some on the defensive side of the all that also had big impact their freshman year. No, it is not too commonplace, however it does happen, and RF is just the kind of freak that could do just that. Don't sell this kid short. There is a reason that almost every college program in the country wants this kid. He is a difference maker. that's all

not selling him short, just saying it might take a few games to get down the transition to SEC football, there are a lot more reads and other transitions it takes to get up to speed. So basically I agree with you, just that it may take a little time. Every year in recruiting people think the incoming freshman are going to have a huge impact and be the next best thing and they forget that the guys ahead of them on the depth chart often times had the same thing said about them when they signed.

then we are in agreement. Most of the times the recruits need time in the gym to condition their bodies to ready themselves for the next level of football. He already has the physical attributes to step on the field. it is expected by some that RF will have the mental aspect of his game honed to make that dive. That is yet to be seen. I hope, for the sake of our school, that he chooses us and is able to provide such a boost in such a position of need!

A true Freshman is all instinct. He just doesn't have the knowledge, which is why he can make a good play one time then get pushed around the next 2 times. That is why very few Freshman especially on defense, can make a major impact their first year, even the better ones. But even the most elite players take time to get use to the speed and size of the college game. The elite players can look great against other HS players in all star games but that is a far cry from going up against big SEC offensive lines manned with upperclassmen.

Clowney is as good as they come and he is the closest example of being in the " most elite" category. Even a player with his ability was lost his first few games, constantly being out of position and getting beat by players with less talent but better technique. He was catching on the second half of his first year but the big leap in his ability to have a major impact on the game came in his second year. If Reuben is able to step onto a football field in game #1, as a true Freshman on defense, be a major impact player for 4 quarters and not just a play here or there, he would be the elite of the elite.

Clowney didn't even start as a frosh. It's really, really rare for true frosh to be a full-time star. Yeldon wasn't either.

I expect Foster to play right away. I won't be shocked at all if he's backing up at the start if the season.

Clowney didn't even start as a frosh. It's really, really rare for true frosh to be a full-time star. Yeldon wasn't either.

I expect Foster to play right away. I won't be shocked at all if he's backing up at the start if the season.

With all due respect, Yeldon gained 1000+ yds this past season as a tr fresh. He didn't need to be a starter or a full time "star" to have an impact. Any of you guys think bammer wins the NC without TJYs 1000+ yds?

With all due respect, Yeldon gained 1000+ yds this past season as a tr fresh. He didn't need to be a starter or a full time "star" to have an impact. Any of you guys think bammer wins the NC without TJYs 1000+ yds?

Yeah I do. More of the credit should be given to their offensive line. They could make any running back seem like a star. Yeldons good but if he had Auburn's o-line last year he might of only had a couple hundred yards

Yeah I do. More of the credit should be given to their offensive line. They could make any running back seem like a star. Yeldons good but if he had Auburn's o-line last year he might of only had a couple hundred yards

Well, respectfully, any back could run behind that line, but TJY had many, many YAC. Plus, he wasn't second string because he picked the longer straw either. Lacy wouldnt have been able to tote the load by himself due to conditioning IMO. Without TJY, bammer loses 4 games last year IMO. But enough about bammer. The thread is about Reuben, and while he may not be a "starter" it would be naive to think he wouldnt be able to have an impact next year as a Tr Fr. Period.

Tre mason rushed for a thousand with our o-line. So, I can't agree that TJ Yeldon would rush for a couple hundred yards. He's a fantastic player.

Foster says he is not doing interviews.

Uh oh..

But a good sign for Auburn is he went to the Auburn Athletic Complex before he left for his OV to Bama.

a true freshman LB will take his lumps, but if the DL plays up to their potential Foster would do well in our defense as a freshman. Let the DL take off some pressure up front, and if the safeties can help in run support, it'd help Foster adjust. It also helps that some of the early teams are more pas happy than run happy.

Uh oh..

But a good sign for Auburn is he went to the Auburn Athletic Complex before he left for his OV to Bama.

bad sign that he went.

Uh oh..

bad sign that he went.

Good sign would be if he went to the AAC after he came back

very tired of the paranoia

This one will run you in circles....."just because your paranoid people are talking about you doesn't mean they are not".

Archived