2013 5* LB Reuben Foster (Alabama signee)

aubfan25

This may have already been covered, but I just read again where Jeremy Johnson is saying he is still talking to Foster about coming to AU. He mentioned how Foster helped keep him committed when he wanted to decommit after CGC was fired. I am glad to hear it. I dont know how much difference it will make, but it is good to hear someone else out there recruiting for AU and trying to hold this class together.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting there's not much discussion on this board about who Reuben's position coach might be at Auburn. He knows his coordinator & HC and is apparently not very impressed so not to form the staff around one (albeit huge) recruit, but I'm trying to think of a linebacker coach hire that would excite Reuben into coming back. Kevin Greene's too much to hope for but there are many good ones out there right now IMO.

I'm trying to think of a linebacker coach hire that would excite Reuben into coming back.

If it was the WR coach that ultimately made him decommit, why would it matter who the LB coach is? Just pointing that out, not criticizing RF at all. That said, it's obvious that relationships are what is important to him. I wish he'd focus more on the relationships he's been building with our commitments instead of our previous staff.

Interesting there's not much discussion on this board about who Reuben's position coach might be at Auburn. He knows his coordinator & HC and is apparently not very impressed so not to form the staff around one (albeit huge) recruit, but I'm trying to think of a linebacker coach hire that would excite Reuben into coming back. Kevin Greene's too much to hope for but there are many good ones out there right now IMO.

Pretty sure he loves Malzahn now that he's been in contact with him, and the DB coach from Clemson was the guy recruiting Lawson (or so I've heard), so I would imagine he will take care of that recruitment, if nothing else. Plus the fact that JJ and Liner are staying on him hardcore...and if Lawson has been, too, as Ellitor mentioned, that's even more awesome, I just haven't heard it from independent sources...means he knows he's still going to be part of a class full of other big time prospects.

As for what other coaches have been saying, the offense never seemed to hinder Bob Stoops from bringing in big time defensive players. The NFL doesn't care if your unit is getting spotlight, but they do tend to notice players who are on TV more readily. Playing for one of the traditional powers of the most elite conference in the country is a big deal in and of itself, and Auburn has a long tradition of defensive success to point to as a counter if they bring it up with our coaches.

On that note, I had a friend of mine (female Bama fan) who, reacting to the Malzahn hire, was wondering how good the defense could be with a "spread" coach. Then she said, "but Auburn has never really been known for defense, anyway." I about died laughing. I don't think she was prepared for me to be able to prove her wrong, much less to do so as thoroughly as I did. And after recounting the 80s, 90s, and Tubs years, I took her back to the mid to late 50s, then all the way to the 1914 team that didn't give up a point all season. Needless to say, she was impressed.

are there any other teams ever to not give up a point all season and play 9 games like the 1914 team? btw, they are not included on this http://www.footballnation.com/content/college-football-debate-10-greatest-defenses-all-time/15436/2/ list of top college football defenses of all time. bama rounds out two of the top 3 of course.

are there any other teams ever to not give up a point all season and play 9 games like the 1914 team? btw, they are not included on this http://www.footballn...l-time/15436/2/ list of top college football defenses of all time. bama rounds out two of the top 3 of course.

To answer your question, the other team that comes to mind is 1901 Michigan that went 11-0. They scored 550 points and their opponents scored 0. The 1914 Auburn team and that 1901 Michigan team were two of the greatest defenses in the history of college football.

This female bammer........... is she 5yrs old?

Well, she was when I met her...it's just been a while since I've seen her. :laugh: She and I were in the same kindergarten class, but she moved a couple of years later, so I'd not been in touch with her for the better part of two decades until I "remet" her through her cousin this past summer. And to be fair, she was a marine for 5 years after we graduated high school in 02, which means she missed the first five of six straight seasons we beat Bama consecutively, and most of what she remembers about Auburn is the last five years, Dameyune Craig, and Rudi Johnson.

She's a passionate Bama fan in that loves the rivalry, but she quite obviously has a ways to go on understanding the game of football. I mean, hell, she was screaming about how the SECCG "didn't even count" because they only won by 4. "At least a touchdown. I mean, Georgia!?" LOL. She believes in Alabama the way a child believes in Santa Claus.

Defensive football back then was a lot different than it is today. I doubt that one of those defenses could force any BCS team to punt nowadays.

Does that take away from the feat?

Well, she was when I met her...it's just been a while since I've seen her. :laugh: She and I were in the same kindergarten class, but she moved a couple of years later, so I'd not been in touch with her for the better part of two decades until I "remet" her through her cousin this past summer. And to be fair, she was a marine for 5 years after we graduated high school in 02, which means she missed the first five of six straight seasons we beat Bama consecutively, and most of what she remembers about Auburn is the last five years, Dameyune Craig, and Rudi Johnson.

She's a passionate Bama fan in that loves the rivalry, but she quite obviously has a ways to go on understanding the game of football. I mean, hell, she was screaming about how the SECCG "didn't even count" because they only won by 4. "At least a touchdown. I mean, Georgia!?" LOL. She believes in Alabama the way a child believes in Santa Claus.

Your point about her believing in Alabama like children believe in Santa Claus pretty describes their entire fanbase except for a precious few.

Haha - Gotcha. Yeah, sounds like a little football history wouldnt hurt. =)

That UGA comment is priceless!

Haha - Gotcha. Yeah, sounds like a little football history wouldnt hurt. =)

That UGA comment is priceless!

It's even funnier when put into full context, because she said "Georgia!?" over and over like five or six times. That was the only part of the experience of watching her through the second half when I couldn't stop the laugh, because she kept saying that winning by just 4 over UGA "doesn't even count". I kept saying, "Yes it does," and I kept getting punched. She's former Marine intelligence, and she's strong and tough, but she's also about half my size (weighs a shade under 100, I'm a shade over 200, and 9 inches taller) so even when she managed to get past my arm blocks it didn't hurt that much and just made me laugh harder. :laugh:

From the sounds of there tweets sounds like Reuben, Liner and Robinson are having a good time together at the all star game practice. But he also says Liner and Robinson going to whatever school he ends up choosing.

@Liner_25 and #Earnest Robinson said they was going to school whatever school I end up #brothers

From the sounds of there tweets sounds like Reuben, Liner and Robinson are having a good time together at the all star game practice. But he also says Liner and Robinson going to whatever school he ends up choosing.

@Liner_25 and #Earnest Robinson said they was going to school whatever school I end up #brothers

Us or bammer

Us or bammer

Well

Earnest=AU, hates Nick Saban

Dee=80/20 AU

Reuben=50/50

How in the hell did this get to 458 pages?????

Probably because there is still a small few idiots, like myself, that would much rather see Johnson, Reuben, Liner, and Robinson playing for us and not the other SEC teams. Hell, I would take TJ Yeldon transfer papers with open arms in a heart beat. But I am just an idiot poster who thinks they know it all and just wants Auburn to be average. So since I know nothing about college football I will continue to be stupidly intersted in the decision that Foster makes.

I think they were joking, cause JJ said something then Foster came and "beat him up" so I would assume that all of them are joking around. E Rob has already talked about how committed and excited he is about Gus.

This is the entire Foster threads combined all the way back to when he committed to bama not just a decomit thread

Probably because there is still a small few idiots, like myself, that would much rather see Johnson, Reuben, Liner, and Robinson playing for us and not the other SEC teams. Hell, I would take TJ Yeldon transfer papers with open arms in a heart beat. But I am just an idiot poster who thinks they know it all and just wants Auburn to be average. So since I know nothing about college football I will continue to be stupidly intersted in the decision that Foster makes.

Have you seen Foster play? I have. Slower than I thought. Montavious Admas is critical.

Have you seen Foster play? I have. Slower than I thought. Montavious Admas is critical.

I have not seen him in person so I will have to trust you on your description of his perceived speed. How fast do you feel a 240 lb high school linebacker is supposed to be? I never wanted him for his speed. I was under the impression that he was one of the best middle linebackers in the nation at stopping the run. We can recruit speedsters at other positions. Speed does not do much good at middle linebacker when facing Alabama and LSU. They win championships running straight at and over speed!

What is wrong with having M Adams, Foster, and Dee on the field at the same time? Thinking big here

I have not seen him in person so I will have to trust you on your description of his perceived speed. How fast do you feel a 240 lb high school linebacker is supposed to be? I never wanted him for his speed. I was under the impression that he was one of the best middle linebackers in the nation at stopping the run.

Yes sir. Hes already built like a pro, speed will get better. I'm pretty sure we'll get him. Nice kid.

Archived