2013 5* LB Reuben Foster (Alabama signee)

aubfan25

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Les Miles/John Chavis are gonna be on this kid like ugly on an ape. The kid just needs to get to know the new coaches, see what their vision for AU is for the future, and hear their plan to get AU football back in competition for SEC titles. If the kid and his parents like what they hear, he'll be back in the fold. If not, then it'll be up to our coaches to go find another LB.

I'm not gonna sit back and agonize over a high school kid that has proven nothing on the college football field. We wanted CHANGE and that's exactly what we are receiving. Remember the old saying, "be careful what you wish for, 'cause you just might get it"? Well we're getting it, and I for one am excited to see what the future holds.

Foster also told Auburn Undercover that he will still consider Auburn before making his final decision.

We all can be emotional when we feel that someone we are close to is in a difficult situation. Don't bash a guy that needs a couple of days to let things settle.

I'm sure he was a little closer to Trooper than others because of his friendship with TT's son at school. With that said, Reuben is a difference maker and I hope he makes a difference at AU. Gus has impressed me greatly with his actions and one coach and one player are not his focus for the TEAM!

Best post I have seen in days. There seems to be way too much overreacting going on.

Guys he's not gone yet, we've still got a shot. We knew this was gonna happen, let's calm down. Let Malzahn and Johnson get to work on him.

Um, yeah he is. Stated that the guy he built a relationship with is no longer there. My guess is that UGA will be getting a really, really good defensive class this year.

They get one every year and still no BCS Championship. :wareagle:

Exactly!

If they don't want to come to Auburn for Auburn, but instead to be a linebacker who is buddies with the WR coach, do you think we really needed them anyway?

No, we didn't need the #1 rated LB in the country. We're so loaded @ LB we can take only the high school guys that are pure in their worship of Auburn. This is a horrible development early for our new staff and of all the players to decommit, Reuben was one of the least likely.

Right. We need big LB's.

Justin Hokanson@JHokanson

Five-star LB Reuben Foster tells me he's decommitted from Auburn. Georgia, LSU, Miami and Washington in contention.

Good, if he was more committed to a coach than the University, then it was likely a mistake for him and would not have benefited Auburn either.

Reading through some of these posts, I don't know what some people are thinking... IMO Foster is the best player in this class. His decommitment absolutely hurts. Also, it sounds great to say guys should "commit to the school, not coaches." But realistically, they're agreeing to play for both a school and coaches. If I was being recruited and the coach I was closest with was fired I would re-evaluate the situation. That's just reality.

Now for a quick sunshine pump, if we have a shot still at winning Foster back then I feel better about him decommiting a couple hours after Trooper wasn't retained than after a few days. In my mind (and being very positive) maybe we can just attribute this to a knee-jerk reaction.

If they don't want to come to Auburn for Auburn, but instead to be a linebacker who is buddies with the WR coach, do you think we really needed them anyway?

No, we didn't need the #1 rated LB in the country. We're so loaded @ LB we can take only the high school guys that are pure in their worship of Auburn. This is a horrible development early for our new staff and of all the players to decommit, Reuben was one of the least likely.

Right. We need big LB's.

We will be running a 4-2-5? We have 6 LBs already on Campus with Frost and Nova ready to burst on the scene with some good coaching. Mitchell & Garrett could get moved to the hybrid "Spur" position leaving four upper classmen for 2 LB positions and at the moment we still have Cam Toney (6'2 1/2 225) and Jarad Davis (6'2 225) committed for the future. With only Holland being a SR next season. We should be alright especially if the coaches can convince one of Foster or Johnson to re-commit and sign in Feb.

Should of just kept Trooper until the day after signing day.

Deceive the coach and the recruits to get what we want? I'm glad I don't work for you.

Foster has now committed and decommitted twice. I know he is young - blah blah - but he is old enough to call press conferences and use his daughter as a prop for his announcement. I may be wrong but I've got a feeling we may have dodged a bullet here.

It is funny, we get a commit from a 5 star guy and he is the best thing since sliced bread, we lose him and we "dodged a bullet".

This recruiting class is critical to how soon AU gets back.

I just spent a year watching a bunch of individuals try to play a team sport. Some players worked their butts off. Others did not. There was very little unit (important word there) cohesion. My comment, which was prefaced with I may be wrong, is based on the fact that Mr. Foster seems to enjoy the spotlight and playing with the media. Maybe this is nothing but maybe it is. Every recruiting class is critical but more critical is the desire to play and the desire to play as a team. If you think the 5 stars are the end all of building a team I suggest you research the names of the following Auburn linebackers and their path to Auburn; Bill Newton, Bobby Strickland, Alex Lincoln, Jason Miska, Danny Skutack and Kevin Greene. They were all walkons and Mr. Foster has a lot of work to do just to be mentioned in their company.

Well I hate the young man is considering leaving Auburn. Fortunately there are two months left til NSD.

But life goes on. If he does indeed forsake Auburn he'll be little more than an afterthought next year as we will then be discussing the latest recruiting class, not Rueben Foster.

And I bet you a dollar he does not end up at the same school as Trooper Taylor.

I would think if it was in honor of his big cuz that he would keep honoring him at AU? Hope we get him back, I feel like he's just confused right now.

The tattoo comment reveals this whole thing is an outspoken player's overreaction to change. (The tatoo was in memory of his cousin. What coach offered that cousin? Hint: It wasn't TT.) He's young, we should all show a little sympathy. The best reaction is meh.

I hope Foster changes his mind and become a 4 year All Academic SEC player and is a lifetime ambassador to Auburn. But if he does not we will be just fine. I just want to see the entire team play as hard as Bates, Mason, Prosch and Wallace.

Asst.Professor you are such a glass half empty guy.....lol........This class will be fine. It is not February yet,We have almost 3 months. I think Foster will be back.

We're going to have a shot at getting Reuben. He's right there in Auburn. He's going to have plenty of chances to meet and get to know the new coaches. We don't even know what the staff will look like so it's hard to say he's definitely going somewhere else. It's always tough to land big fish especially when you have MASSIVE change in the middle of the process. Whether he ends up at Auburn or not, I don't have ill for the guy. I'll be cheering against him on Saturdays, mind you, but he seems like a sharp, ambitious, and somewhat reactionary kid... which makes him un-unique. I can't blame him for waiting to look around after he developed a bond with a guy we let go. Hopefully, we get plenty of face time, and he still ends up in burnt orange and navy blue.

Keep in mind star rankings are to show what a player MAY be like by the time he is drafted into the NFL. It's built a lot on typical builds and strength. It has some to do with the talent he already has, but has more to do with the ability that he has yet to gain. Without good coaching, a 5 * player will most likely not be better than a well coached 3* player...

So, Foster is thougth to harber the body frame and needed physical gifts to be a 1st rounder in 3 or 4 years... but he won't even be drafted if he doesn't work hard and learn. That's what a lot of these 5* kids are missing... they are so used to being the best on raw talent and have not developed the proper work ethics. In many ways, a 3 star kid that has busted his ass to be that good is much better than a 5 star who hasn't.. just saying.

Keep in mind star rankings are to show what a player MAY be like by the time he is drafted into the NFL. It's built a lot on typical builds and strength. It has some to do with the talent he already has, but has more to do with the ability that he has yet to gain. Without good coaching, a 5 * player will most likely not be better than a well coached 3* player...

So, Foster is thougth to harber the body frame and needed physical gifts to be a 1st rounder in 3 or 4 years... but he won't even be drafted if he doesn't work hard and learn. That's what a lot of these 5* kids are missing... they are so used to being the best on raw talent and have not developed the proper work ethics. In many ways, a 3 star kid that has busted his ass to be that good is much better than a 5 star who hasn't. just saying.

I agree completely. That's why I remember those players like Alex Lincoln and Jason Miska whose desire to play far outpaced the physical talent they were born with.

Forgive me if I take a wait and see approach. I think the new staff and commits will lure him back. He's a great prospect.

War Eagle!

I hate to lose RF or any recruit and hopefully we still get him, but Gus made the right call. A house cleaning was definitley in order.

That AL.com article made Foster come across as an immature kid who really needs some father figure or big brother in his life. Said he will go anywhere Trooper Taylor goes. Coaches, especially college assistant coaches, generally never stay anywhere for long. Someone from the new staff should go over to Foster's house and give him a Lifesaver candy. At any rate, It looks to me like Reuben Foster is not a lost cause and we shouldn't give up on him with two months left until signing day.

I wonder how he would feel fi TT ended up at Southern Miss?

That AL.com article made Foster come across as an immature kid who really needs some father figure or big brother in his life. Said he will go anywhere Trooper Taylor goes. Coaches, especially college assistant coaches, generally never stay anywhere for long. Someone from the new staff should go over to Foster's house and give him a Lifesaver candy. At any rate, It looks to me like Reuben Foster is not a lost cause and we shouldn't give up on him with two months left until signing day.

brett favre went to southern miss. its not a hard sell

brett favre went to southern miss. its not a hard sell

Well, Takeo Spikes and Karlos Dansby went to Auburn what gives?

Archived