so how we feelin?

DyeCampAlum

"good player at any school that comes in as a freshman is only going to play 3 years and turn pro as a jr."

That's just not true....Bama and most other top schools do lose some Juniors but it's not a given that 'good' players leave after 3 years. In fact, any player leaving after their Junior year better be damned good if they hope to have any chance at all. Not saying that any of them could have necessarily left early but we had something like 25 seniors on the 2010 team.

Meanwhile JUCOs can fill weak points and as noted above, Gus is recruiting to fill openings from the recruiting classes of 2010 and 2011 that should be juniors this coming season. Glad to see he is filling those spots with mature players instead of hoping that some incoming HS grad can step up and play right away.

Yes, he probably should have used a different word there like "star" player, but that's probably what he meant. ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"good player at any school that comes in as a freshman is only going to play 3 years and turn pro as a jr."

That's just not true....Bama and most other top schools do lose some Juniors but it's not a given that 'good' players leave after 3 years. In fact, any player leaving after their Junior year better be damned good if they hope to have any chance at all. Not saying that any of them could have necessarily left early but we had something like 25 seniors on the 2010 team.

Meanwhile JUCOs can fill weak points and as noted above, Gus is recruiting to fill openings from the recruiting classes of 2010 and 2011 that should be juniors this coming season. Glad to see he is filling those spots with mature players instead of hoping that some incoming HS grad can step up and play right away.

Yes, he probably should have used a different word there like "star" player, but that's probably what he meant. ;)

Thanks for the cover....... A good multiple star player of greater than 4 based on 3 out 4 recruiting services ......might be a better disclaimer. :bricks:

For anyone to say they feel "great" or "fantastic" about this, something has got to be wrong with you. We've lost two HUGE recruits. HUGE. They would've been stars in our program, and would've made a massive difference. Just look at all the top players that have de-commited from us over the last couple years, and tell me you don't wish we had them. I expect the same thing out of Dee Liner and Reuben Foster, even possibly Carl Lawson. I always thought there was a bondage between those three players, and now that Lawson is the only one left, I am now expecting him to go, also.

Logan!! Step back young man! I believe Carl is coming to AU as will Foster on NSD at the least. I do not see the same can't miss skills in DL that I did in the unnamed one or C. Killamajaro(sp). He has Calloway written all over him.

+1

Logan, you seem very negative lately. Not calling you out in bad way, but I think you are missing the big picture. Just looking at the list of guys suddenly interested in AU ought to cheer you up a little. We knew we would lose a few this year. We actually look ALOT better than many on here predicted. We will be more than fine :)/>

I just hate to see us lose all these guys year in and year out. It's getting really old. I try to stay positive but losing two 5 start proven athletes isn't made up by 3 and 4 star JUCO players. I'm not taking anything away from these JUCO players but we're missing out in these payers. I really hope we can keep Lawson, but I'm very iffy about him. Foster, there's no telling. Hopefully we can streak Ira Denson. I see Montravius Adams as being a long shot. There are positive things that gave happened to this team I'm the offseason such as the coach hires, but recruiting has taken a massive blow. I'll just have to wait till signing day though to see how I really feel, but right now, not too well.

You need to just be more focused on the '13 season then. There is not a single Freshman that will make a huge difference in the '13 season, not one. The JUCOs are more developed and experienced upperclassmen and getting good ones will have a direct impact on the '13 season. The team's performance in the '13 season is more important to '14 recruiting than anything else right now. We have the coaches in place and a good showing this year will give them more to work with.

Gus is not bringing in the JUCOs as replacements for '13 Freshmen anyway. He is bringing in the JUCOs to plug the performance gaps from the '10 and '11 classes, created by attrition or players that are not meeting expectations. You can also expect Gus to get JUCOs next year if some '12 players don't make it at positions where we have critical needs. We have to get this team to the point that it is depending on the majority of its starters from the upperclassemen so that the underclassemen can develop. That is exactly the direction that Gus is going.

So, I wouldn't be too concerned with this year's class. In the first place we are going to close strong. In the second place, any players we are short on will be added next year. But, next year these excellent recruiting & development coaches will have had a full year to work their magic on the '14 class and hopefully some good improvement by the team in the '13 season to help them. That '13 season, as I said, is the thing to focus on right now.

Feel any better now ? ;)

THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

I agree with everything you just wrote

except... :poke: Foster could possibly make a difference for the 2013 defense if everyone around him pulls there weight. Sign Foster Sign!!!

For anyone to say they feel "great" or "fantastic" about this, something has got to be wrong with you. We've lost two HUGE recruits. HUGE. They would've been stars in our program, and would've made a massive difference. Just look at all the top players that have de-commited from us over the last couple years, and tell me you don't wish we had them. I expect the same thing out of Dee Liner and Reuben Foster, even possibly Carl Lawson. I always thought there was a bondage between those three players, and now that Lawson is the only one left, I am now expecting him to go, also.

Logan!! Step back young man! I believe Carl is coming to AU as will Foster on NSD at the least. I do not see the same can't miss skills in DL that I did in the unnamed one or C. Killamajaro(sp). He has Calloway written all over him.

+1

Logan, you seem very negative lately. Not calling you out in bad way, but I think you are missing the big picture. Just looking at the list of guys suddenly interested in AU ought to cheer you up a little. We knew we would lose a few this year. We actually look ALOT better than many on here predicted. We will be more than fine :)/>

I just hate to see us lose all these guys year in and year out. It's getting really old. I try to stay positive but losing two 5 start proven athletes isn't made up by 3 and 4 star JUCO players. I'm not taking anything away from these JUCO players but we're missing out in these payers. I really hope we can keep Lawson, but I'm very iffy about him. Foster, there's no telling. Hopefully we can streak Ira Denson. I see Montravius Adams as being a long shot. There are positive things that gave happened to this team I'm the offseason such as the coach hires, but recruiting has taken a massive blow. I'll just have to wait till signing day though to see how I really feel, but right now, not too well.

You'd feel better if you listened to more Phish and less Disco Biscuits.

+1

If there was a "like" function on this board, I'd use it right now.

You need to just be more focused on the '13 season then. There is not a single Freshman that will make a huge difference in the '13 season, not one. The JUCOs are more developed and experienced upperclassmen and getting good ones will have a direct impact on the '13 season. The team's performance in the '13 season is more important to '14 recruiting than anything else right now. We have the coaches in place and a good showing this year will give them more to work with.

Gus is not bringing in the JUCOs as replacements for '13 Freshmen anyway. He is bringing in the JUCOs to plug the performance gaps from the '10 and '11 classes, created by attrition or players that are not meeting expectations. You can also expect Gus to get JUCOs next year if some '12 players don't make it at positions where we have critical needs. We have to get this team to the point that it is depending on the majority of its starters from the upperclassemen so that the underclassemen can develop. That is exactly the direction that Gus is going.

So, I wouldn't be too concerned with this year's class. In the first place we are going to close strong. In the second place, any players we are short on will be added next year. But, next year these excellent recruiting & development coaches will have had a full year to work their magic on the '14 class and hopefully some good improvement by the team in the '13 season to help them. That '13 season, as I said, is the thing to focus on right now.

Feel any better now ? ;)

THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

I agree with everything you just wrote

except... :poke: Foster could possibly make a difference for the 2013 defense if everyone around him pulls there weight. Sign Foster Sign!!!

HAHA, shhhh. Seriously though, I actually thought about that but concluded that as a Tr Freshman, even RF wouldn't make a huge difference over a McKinzey, Frost and Garrett to the overall team performance of the '13 season. I too hope he signs of course.

The point is, in the SEC very few....VERY FEW, incoming frosh in the power positions make much of an impact their first year. Kris Frost is a great guy and was a 5*, etc...and is still trying to get on the field. Even ole Clowney at USCe was a part time player as a freshman and now he's considered all world...but of course he is 6'-7" and weighs about 275 or so.

IMO, RF would be a great addition but he's not going to be a game changer for AU as a freshman. As big and fast as he is...in the SEC there are running backs all over the league the same size and likely faster and stronger. Again, just an opinion, but the downfall of many highly recruited kids is the "expectation" by their fans...and the pressure to live up to the * ratings.

I'd just as soon have a 4* JUCO as a 5* HS kid because at least the JUCO has proven it at a higher level ....and the HS kid has likely never been on a field with so many players that are bigger, stronger and faster than he is.

About the only position on the field where a single player can be a "game changer" is the QB.

I haven't felt better about Auburn Football in some time. I can't wait for this coaching staff to sink their teeth into this team and leave their imprint.

Im on a special recruiting months medication so I am just fine. I sit on the computer, drooling, and read this and other sites. I can finally get off it in March though. Those after signing day recruits prolong my treatment, but I guess things could be worse.

The point is, in the SEC very few....VERY FEW, incoming frosh in the power positions make much of an impact their first year. Kris Frost is a great guy and was a 5*, etc...and is still trying to get on the field. Even ole Clowney at USCe was a part time player as a freshman and now he's considered all world...but of course he is 6'-7" and weighs about 275 or so.

IMO, RF would be a great addition but he's not going to be a game changer for AU as a freshman. As big and fast as he is...in the SEC there are running backs all over the league the same size and likely faster and stronger. Again, just an opinion, but the downfall of many highly recruited kids is the "expectation" by their fans...and the pressure to live up to the * ratings.

I'd just as soon have a 4* JUCO as a 5* HS kid because at least the JUCO has proven it at a higher level ....and the HS kid has likely never been on a field with so many players that are bigger, stronger and faster than he is.

About the only position on the field where a single player can be a "game changer" is the QB.

RBs and WRs often have an impact as true Freshmen and sometimes LBs, but I agree with you on the *4 Juco thing when it comes to lineman. Freshmen linemen on either side of the ball are rarely ready to play as true freshmen and jucos have had a couple more years to lift and grow, which is why I'm not really upset about Dee L, because we have Bradley coming in who will be better prepared to play right away. Dee L was going to need a RS to play DT, he may have been able to be a back-up at SE, but we have enough depth at SE for this season so no big deal. Will need to address this spot in recruiting next year with either a juco of H.S. player.

I really dont see Dee Liner ever being a factor in a 3 - 4 set. Bad call on his part to be persuaded that he fits. He'll probably end up being processed out before he knows what happened.

BlueVue, from what I've seen of him (limited) and read about him, he seems like an ideal 3-4 DE. Too small for NT but heavy enough to hold the edge. He's about 15 pounds light of where Marcel Dareus ended at Bama. If he signs with Bama, I hope you are right as rain. I hope he's an on-field bust that goes on to prosper off the field, but from a pure measurement/athleticism stand point, he looks like a fit in either scheme.

+1

Hey hey hey now.. Don't be bringing the Biscuits in to this! :P

Archived