Saban's success

AURandy56

Saban is a very good to great football coach who expects nothing less than perfection from himself, his assistant coaches and his players. He wants to dominate and is ruthless and demanding in that expectation to dominate. His coaches and players have 100% bought in to what Saban is preaching. How can they not given the results? I hope Gus has a boat load of Saban in him because that is what it is going to take for us to become competitive with Saban and spuat. Saban is going to be around at least 5 more years at spuat. Unless we are comfortable with 36-0, 42-14 and 49-0 we as AU fans better hope and pray Gus is a lot like Saban.

wde

Gus is his own man. He can follow his own path to success without being anything like that little tyrant....the nickster is a complete jackass. There have been very,very successful coaches who are not quite as ruthless and mean spirited and hateful. And somehow people seem to forget he has had a lot of help with that $ucce$$...

I think bammer is headed for trouble sooner rather than later anyway, and he will have to retire. A couple of the newer head coaches are not intimidated by him or the tactics of the REC. Emmert can't cover for him forever.

You are right about the REC being cheaters, but keep in mind that Saban doesn't have to cheat anymore because he has won so much. Alabama will never be caught cheating.

I have quit worrying about Alabama. Gus is a good enough coach to beat Saban, and he will. I also believe that with sumlin and Gus both in the SEC West. Alabama's little streak will be coming to an end.

Never was a horse that couldn't be rode.

Bamr will get caught once present NCAA Prez is gone.

Too many people have an axe to grind and they are too arrogant and open not to leave a trail.'

It is not a matter of concern for me.

We just need to do what we do and do it well.

Things will work out for us.

WDE

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to stop spending too much time worrying what bama does. We need to focus on what we can control and that is making Auburn a better place and get back the program back on track. I hate bama just as much as anyone but we need to (myself included) not worry about what bama is doing, just ignore them and don't let them take pleasure in getting a reaction out of you. Time we spend thinking about bama is time wasted.

We have a new coach and a AUsome staff now at Auburn lets help them out and make the university and the fan base positive and be able meet adversity head on because we should aim for successes but focus on the challenges that will be in our way every day.

WDE

Great post SuperNova! :bow:

Frankly, I'm more concerned with how Auburn competes against UGA & Arky right now, we need to beat those clowns first and then worry about LSU/UAT.

We need to stop spending too much time worrying what bama does. We need to focus on what we can control and that is making Auburn a better place and get back the program back on track. I hate bama just as much as anyone but we need to (myself included) not worry about what bama is doing, just ignore them and don't let them take pleasure in getting a reaction out of you. Time we spend thinking about bama is time wasted.

We have a new coach and a AUsome staff now at Auburn lets help them out and make the university and the fan base positive and be able meet adversity head on because we should aim for successes but focus on the challenges that will be in our way every day.

WDE

How on earth does us being pissed about how uat does business slow Auburn's progress? I'm failing to see the connection. We are FANS not Auburn administration.

We all know how uat is achieving their success. Hopefully something will be done about uat sooner rather than later.

When Pat Dye was hired at Auburn in 1981, he told us all to quit worrying about bama and spend our time paying more attention to Auburn. That's what I try to do. Why is saban winning, don't really care. I just want us to get back to winning and kicking their ass.

I see your point,but maybe Coach Dye should've paid a little more attention. Eric Ramsey and all that....

WDE

How on earth does us being pissed about how uat does business slow Auburn's progress? I'm failing to see the connection. We are FANS not Auburn administration.

We all know how uat is achieving their success. Hopefully something will be done about uat sooner rather than later.

What I meant was that some AU fans think we should emulate what bama is doing on a certain level. We watch bama's every move and try to figure out what they are up to and how they are out to get us. I think that Auburn fans need to stop worrying about what bama does and spend more time on what AU is doing. That is all.

I know it is unrealistic to think that I can avoid dealing with bama stuff being thrown in my face, because I work with bammers, but I have also notice they don't bother me as much if I don't give them a reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the most interesting things to me about hiring Coach Gus Malzahn is that it sends a message that we believe there is an antithesis to winning in a way that everyone across the state expects. Case in point: the style and leadership of Coach Nick Saban vs. Coach Tony Dungy. Both have fantastic track records, though not everywhere...hence an earlier poster's true assertion that lots of things must "line up in place" for a steady rise to and maintenance at the top.

Think of every decision CGM has made since arriving---most are the complete opposite of "how Bama does it." Think of the attention to JUCO players this year, whereas CGC, maybe to his demise, chose not to go that route last year. Every time Auburn makes a decision that is the exact opposite of how "Bama" would do it, expect the blather to skyrocket. But I for one am looking forward to what it will look like in the "lab" and in reality to see what winning the anti-Saban way looks like.

I'll give him his due. He has his record. But none of us and none of them know exactly how it all came about. If there is something amiss, it WILL come to light. The sooner the better for most of us....but the higher the rocket, the harder the fall, ultimately. That's the dangerous thing about PRIDE.

It's not just the WHAT that matters when it comes to success. Any leadership training tells you what it takes to replicate leaders, and successful programs have certain fundamentals in place, common to all. The difference will be in the how and the why...and in the lives of these boys-to-men 20 years down the road--physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It is in the future where what is sown early is reaped, and that goes for all of us!

One of the most interesting things to me about hiring Coach Gus Malzahn is that it sends a message that we believe there is an antithesis to winning in a way that everyone across the state expects. Case in point: the style and leadership of Coach Nick Saban vs. Coach Tony Dungy. Both have fantastic track records, though not everywhere...hence an earlier poster's true assertion that lots of things must "line up in place" for a steady rise to and maintenance at the top.

Think of every decision CGM has made since arriving---most are the complete opposite of "how Bama does it." Think of the attention to JUCO players this year, whereas CGC, maybe to his demise, chose not to go that route last year. Every time Auburn makes a decision that is the exact opposite of how "Bama" would do it, expect the blather to skyrocket. But I for one am looking forward to what it will look like in the "lab" and in reality to see what winning the anti-Saban way looks like.

I'll give him his due. He has his record. But none of us and none of them know exactly how it all came about. If there is something amiss, it WILL come to light. The sooner the better for most of us....but the higher the rocket, the harder the fall, ultimately. That's the dangerous thing about PRIDE.

It's not just the WHAT that matters when it comes to success. Any leadership training tells you what it takes to replicate leaders, and successful programs have certain fundamentals in place, common to all. The difference will be in the how and the why...and in the lives of these boys-to-men 20 years down the road--physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It is in the future where what is sown early is reaped, and that goes for all of us!

Great post!!!

Great post!!!

Going the JUCO route in a major way was one of the few things Stallings did within the rules to get the '92 title (remember Copeland & Curry?) so I wouldn't say Gus going JUCO a lot is un-Bamalike. I'd love to hear what Bobby Bowden thinks about Saban having 1 career undefeated season but so many titles.

Going the JUCO route in a major way was one of the few things Stallings did within the rules to get the '92 title (remember Copeland & Curry?) so I wouldn't say Gus going JUCO a lot is un-Bamalike. I'd love to hear what Bobby Bowden thinks about Saban having 1 career undefeated season but so many titles.

If all those other Saban teams played against 90s ACC competition, he'd have more undefeated teams too.

This concept that we don't go after JUCO players is vexing. Mt Cody, Dequan Menzie, Quinton Dial, Duron Carter, Deion Belue, Brandon Hill, Leon Brown, Aaron Douglass.

Some of those aren't household names. But many of them have been starters.

If all those other Saban teams played against 90s ACC competition, he'd have more undefeated teams too.

This concept that we don't go after JUCO players is vexing. Mt Cody, Dequan Menzie, Quinton Dial, Duron Carter, Deion Belue, Brandon Hill, Leon Brown, Aaron Douglass.

Some of those aren't household names. But many of them have been starters.

Wrong again Sherlock!! Miami and Fsu would had dominated bama n the 90's!! Quit dreaming

Great post!!!

Right, but going JUCO is un-Saban-like, no, as for his Alabama tenure? And since the hype since his hire has reached steroidal proportions (oh, no, I didn't!), that's just one way Auburn's doing the opposite, ala anti-Saban, can still be successful.

Why go JUCO unless you are in a tight spot and HAVE to?

If a coach can develope their young players and teach them to execute, then there's not need to go heavily on JUCO's.

Unfortunately, our last staff failed miserably to do a damn thing with the young talent they brought in and now the new staff has no choice but to go JUCO to fill in holes on out roster.

There was a time not long ago when the same things that are being said about saban were being said about Spurrier and then Meyer at Florida or Carroll at Southern Cal. Little nick is having a good run at bama, but it will end. Nobody stays on top forever.

There was a time not long ago when the same things that are being said about saban were being said about Spurrier and then Meyer at Florida or Carroll at Southern Cal. Little nick is having a good run at bama, but it will end. Nobody stays on top forever.

Very true - but elite coaches are elite coaches, period.

Meyer just turned in an undefeated season at OSU - due to sanctions they couldn't do any better than that. And that's CUM's first year up there. They will in BCSNC talks every year now, IMO.

Spurrier has SoCarl in contention for the SECEast regularly. We are talking about South Carolina for crying out loud. SOS brought them their best record in school history. That's unheard of at SoCarl.

FNG here, but I think we spend way too much time talking about them on this board. Other than rooting against them every day of the year in every sport they field a competitor, I could give two craps about that toilet on the west side of the state(except natural disaster). Nick Saban does not own the patent on hard work, perfection, or being a great coach, he is beatable and I'm hoping the next 10 years we'll be responsible for proving that true to the rest of the country.

FNG here, but I think we spend way too much time talking about them on this board. Other than rooting against them every day of the year in every sport they field a competitor, I could give two craps about that toilet on the west side of the state(except natural disaster). Nick Saban does not own the patent on hard work, perfection, or being a great coach, he is beatable and I'm hoping the next 10 years we'll be responsible for proving that true to the rest of the country.

+1....good post FNG.....wde

Meyer just turned in an undefeated season at OSU - due to sanctions they couldn't do any better than that. And that's Meyer's first year up there. They will in BCSNC talks every year now, IMO.

Spurrier has SoCarl in contention for the SECEast regularly. We are talking about South Carolina for crying out loud. SOS brought them their best record in school history. That's unheard of at SoCarl.

Only as long as Tressels players are in the program. Once its dependent on him recruiting he will fail yet again. Meyer is the most overrated coach in the country. He has NEVER built and maintained a program. All he does is win with someone else's players. Remember Florida turned in good recruiting classes when Meyer was there too and they constantly got worse on the field until Meyer abandoned the program. Remember how he crippled that program at florida before running out on them? He'll do the same at OSU, IMO.

Meyer just turned in an undefeated season at OSU - due to sanctions they couldn't do any better than that. And that's Meyer's first year up there. They will in BCSNC talks every year now, IMO.

Only as long as Tressels players are in the program. Once its dependent on him recruiting he will fail yet again. Meyer is the most overrated coach in the country. He has NEVER built and maintained a program. All he does is win with someone else's players. Remember Florida turned in good recruiting classes when Meyer was there too and they constantly got worse on the field until Meyer abandoned the program. Remember how he crippled that program at florida before running out on them? He'll do the same at OSU, IMO.

If by constantly got worse you mean had one bad season then I guess you are right?

He was

9-3

13-1

9-3

13-1

7-5

His last season was run after taking a REALLY long break from coaching.

If by constantly got worse you mean had one bad season then I guess you are right?

He was

9-3

13-1

9-3

13-1

7-5

His last season was run after taking a REALLY long break from coaching.

I'd take a run like that at AU in heartbeat, especially if it meant we'd have TWO crystal balls in the trophy case.

• 2 weeks later...

remember urban at utah when he beat bama???

remember urban at utah when he beat bama???

That wasn't Urban at Utah who beat Bama,was it?

Archived