BCS playoff

AU64

Yes, I am absolutely convinced Oregon would have ended up in the final game. And I don't think bama could hang with Oregon.

Really? Signed Stanford and USC and their 51 points and crappy D (both who lost to Notre Dame)

Did Stanford really lose to ND or did the refs f up the winning TD like they f'd up that muffed punt for the turds last night?

I still think the playoff would be better with 8 teams. I imagine that someone would still gripe about being left out but there are not many teams outside the top 8 with a real chance to win. 8 teams would be perfect in my opinion with one added thing and that is teams not being ranked until after the first month of the season. Preseason rankings are stupid. Yes a team can make it from way down in the rankings but it is harder to do and I believe preseason rankngs are done unfairly and are biased. Lets see how teams play then rank them. Then at the end of the year you take the top 8 teams regardless of conference and put them in a playoff.

Yes, I am absolutely convinced Oregon would have ended up in the final game. And I don't think bama could hang with Oregon.

Really? Signed Stanford and USC and their 51 points and crappy D (both who lost to Notre Dame)

Did Stanford really lose to ND or did the refs f up the winning TD like they f'd up that muffed punt for the turds last night?

Things that will never get old on this board and amongst the AU family referring to Alabama as "the turds" LOL

I guess you must call a spade a spade. Good post rolls and horrible officiating last night.

Why have an Sec champ game. If 4 teams make it and two of them legitimately may be SEC teams it just seems weird. For instance, this year I think Georgia was much better than UF at the end of the year. But in the current format UF makes it to the playoff and aTm, Uga and LSU don't. Doesn't make sense to me anyway.

Horrible is a understatement augrad..not saying the outcome of the game would have changed but the catch on the sideline that didnt even get a second look, and the muffed punt were both momentum swingers and very well could have kept ND in the game

Y'all do know that Saban and the NCCA head are best friends don't you? Things will never change as long as the S E C office is located in b'ham!

Texas A&M is the best team in the country and Alabama is next. A real playoff may have resulted in a rematch, but A&M in my mind is still the best team.

College football is a #ucking joke!!

I will watch and attend Au games from now on but the sport as a whole is close to dead to me. I will worship at the alter of the NFL on Sunday instead.

Here is the problem since we have to listen to this myth that a playoff will destroy the regular season which is absolute crap and we have a system which encourages teams to schedule soft. College football simply tries to reward undefeated teams not make a determination on which team is actually the best.

Furthermore we hear how we need to maintain the importance of the regular season. Bullcrap. Alabama played LSU, UGA, Texas A&M (lost) and Notre Dame and then ten tomato cans. This would be akin to saying the Patriots beats the Broncos and Texans and Ravens so award them the Super Bowl. Its illogical.

Notre Dame clearly had no business in that game yet are rewarded for going undefeated with a weak schedule and being an independent.

Whose to say a 2 loss team couldnt be the best team in America. If we had a 16 team playoff like we should I would put my money on Texas A&M and you know what if they won it it they are the best team I dont care if they have 5 losses in the regular season (granted they wouldnt get in the playoff)

Until we create a preset formula and remove as much of the human bias as can (ie see the NFL playoffs) discontinue encouraging soft scheduling thus rewarding record not merit I am done with college football.

I am ready for Saturday at 3:30 Broncos V Ravens.

Understand your frustration. I don't see a 16 team playoff ever happening in major college football. People would riot if a 3 or 4 loss team won the NC. I agree that the way the playoff system is set up now that teams could load up on soft teams and be considered in the playoff b/c of their undefeated record. Supposedly the committee selecting the teams are going to factor in strength of sched. and other criteria like the committee for college basketball does. No computer numbers or polls. I don't like that at ALL! That's why i think it should be at least a 6 team playoff but 8 would work best. Appeartly the new playoff system will run for 12 years...then re-evaluated. That's too long for a 4 team playoff.

I look at it from the prespective of will there be at least 6 or 8 teams that will truely be worthy of playing for a NC from year to year. With the landscape of college football i would say def. yes to 6 teams and most likely 8 teams too. With 8 teams the big conferences would be represented and schools like Boise St. or Utah St would have a chance of getting a spot if they add at least 2 quality teams to their schedule.

I don't want to see a team with more than two losses having a chance for a NC. Sure..it's fine for college basketball but i don't want to see that with football.

This is what a Wetzel plan would look like there would be I think one 3 loss team Tulsa. So a 3-4 loss team making a playoff is a strawman. But let me ask anyone IF Tulsa a 3 loss team ran the gauntlet and beat Notre Dame then Florida then Alabama or Oregon are they not the best team?

1. Notre Dame (at-large, Independent)
  2. Alabama (SEC champion)
  3. Oregon (at-large, Pac-12)
  4. Florida (at-large, SEC)
  5. Stanford (Pac-12 champion)
  6. Kansas State (Big 12 champion)
  7. Oklahoma (at-large, Big 12)
  8. Georgia (at-large, SEC)
  9. Florida State (ACC champion)
  10. Utah State (WAC champion)
  11. Wisconsin (Big Ten champion)
  12. Boise State (MWC champion)
  13. Northern Illinois (MAC champion)
  14. Louisville (Big East champion)
  15. Arkansas State (Sun Belt champion)
  16. Tulsa (C-USA champion)

This would be 1,000 times better then what we have an the regular season would matter for ALL conferences.

I mean..great if it happens but I don't see it.

I still think the playoff would be better with 8 teams. I imagine that someone would still gripe about being left out but there are not many teams outside the top 8 with a real chance to win. 8 teams would be perfect in my opinion with one added thing and that is teams not being ranked until after the first month of the season. Preseason rankings are stupid. Yes a team can make it from way down in the rankings but it is harder to do and I believe preseason rankngs are done unfairly and are biased. Lets see how teams play then rank them. Then at the end of the year you take the top 8 teams regardless of conference and put them in a playoff.

Yep. The point i was trying to make. You did it better than me though. The odds are greater for very good match ups year to year with 8 teams vs 16. I don't want to see NIU in a playoff game if they are number 16 by default with only one loss and a school in the big for with 2 losses playing a much better schedule. They want to play the big boys..play some in the regular season!

I thought with the playoff system the rankings and computer polls will go away? Maybe analyst will rank teams just for the sake of ranking them to predict who will be in the playoffs? The system is certainly confusing at this point for me. lol

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/20980759/rules-of-engagement-memorizing-new-playoff-system-will-take-some-effort

Why have an Sec champ game. If 4 teams make it and two of them legitimately may be SEC teams it just seems weird. For instance, this year I think Georgia was much better than UF at the end of the year. But in the current format UF makes it to the playoff and aTm, Uga and LSU don't. Doesn't make sense to me anyway.

Not necessarily according from my understanding of the rules. Correct me if i'm wrong. But reading the rules it was my understanding that if the committee would have to pick btw for example...FL & UGA..both with 2 losses...if they deem UGA as the better team over FL...it would not matter if UGA just lost in the SEC Championship game. I do agree that it doesn't make sense to play a SEC Champ. if it's made up like that b/c UGA was def. a better team than FL but if they just lost in the SEC Champ and FL is riding a winning streak...there is likely to be some bias IMO toward UGA.

They claim the it will be the BEST 4 teams selected by the committee and the factor of when a team losses during the season will not be factored but more so strength of schedule. So if a team losses their 1st game late..it will not hurt them but more so about who they played and won and lost to. IDK. It seems the selection is much like college basketball where a team like Duke or Kentucky are top teams but if they don't win their conference champ. tournament...they will still get a #1 seed. I just read so of the rules surrounding the new system and it's going to take some time for me to get down pact b/c it's several moving parts to it.

If we had had a playoff, uat would not have been in the championship game. Same goes for last year.

There's no way you could possibly know that.

If they played like they did Monday night they wouldve been.

I absolutely love college football - I don't care for the political crap that goes on behind-the-scenes, the polls, the bias, etc.

I'm with you on the love of college football. But, over the last 5 years or so I'm not as infatuated as I used to be. I feel the innocence of college football is giving way to big money and greed. It's understandable due to it's popularity, but still my overall love for college football is not as entrenched as in the past. Case in point I didn't even bother the watch the NC game, the game just didn't interest me. In my opinion, the game of college football is broken, and has given way to big budgets, little control by their respective universities, and high coaching salaries (Ex. $5M for a coach with no other real world skills..get real). In esence it's a game controlled by corporate type thinking, which doesn't cater to the person who really loves the game. Thank goodness the players in most part are playing for the love of the game, and an opportunity to get an education, but even that is starting to wane with the way the game is evolving. With that stated, I will continue to purchase my season tickets, attend our games, and be in-the-know about Auburn, but I won't have much to say around the water fountain as far as other teams.

The SEC is so strong right now that you could take probably any of our top 1-4 and they could beat any team from any other conference. When tehre is a playoff it might just end up every year with a rematch of the SEC Championship.

Said it once... This is how they SHOULD have done. Keep the BCS, playoff and major bowl games.

6 team playoff. Top 6 in BCS regardless of conference affiliation

1 and 2 get a bye week

3 vs 6 in Rose Bowl

4 vs 5 in Fiesta

1 vs 4 in Sugar

2 vs 3 in Orange

1 vs 2 in BCS Championship

Seeded games and Championship rotate each year. Simple.

I do NOT understand the insistence of playing the post season in bowl games. F bowl games.

The campus atmosphere of college football is completely unmatched in any sport period why would you not want to include that in the post season?

Besides what fan is going to travel to the Fiesta Bowl for round one and then the Orange Bowl for round two. I for damn sure would travel to say Madison, Wisconsin for round one then Tallahassee for round two. You get to see games at Wisconsin and Florida State. That would be what would be so great about a playoff seeing new venues.

I do NOT understand the insistence of playing the post season in bowl games. F bowl games.

The campus atmosphere of college football is completely unmatched in any sport period why would you not want to include that in the post season?

Besides what fan is going to travel to the Fiesta Bowl for round one and then the Orange Bowl for round two. I for damn sure would travel to say Madison, Wisconsin for round one then Tallahassee for round two. You get to see games at Wisconsin and Florida State. That would be what would be so great about a playoff seeing new venues.

Unfortunately, its all about $$$ my friend

I doubt all fans that attend the first round would make it to the second round game. but that gives a lot of opportunities for fans that couldn't get tickets to the first round could roll the dice and purchase tickets for the second round. You might get 40,000 fans from each school in each round. Most of these schools have fan bases well over 100,000 so more fans could participate in the playoff festivities. Just a thought.

I dont understand how you reach that conclusion. If your the AD in Tuscaloosa why would you not want the playofffs held ON Campus You keep more of the money and you spur the Tuscaloosa economy. You say its about money but why do AD's so willingly want to ship a school's tourism dollars to say Phoenix? That doesnt make any sense.

If the games were on campus and you cut out the middle man there would be MORE money so that cant be it.

Archived