NCAA considering immediate transfer option to 2.6+ GPA students

ellitor

I don't really like this rule. I dont know if I am reading this right but a player who has a high enough GPA could bounce around school to school and play. I think a lot of players now don't transfer because they dont want to sit out a year. This would make it easier for them to just get up and leave.

And what is the problem with that? I have never understood why people are so against the college ranks being like the NFL and letting players move around. If I was going to a school for academics and found a school that would accept my credits and offered me a better chance to succeed then I would want to transfer too. Even if I were transferring out of where I was because i couldn't make the grades, that's my prerogative. Everyone wants to pretend that the guys that don't make it to the NFL come out of college as proust scholars. Well, they don't. They should be given the chance to be as successful as possible at what they are good at, which is really the whole point of college in the first place (which it usually fails at anyway).

You're not thinking this through. It is a horrible idea. It would lead to a bunch of really bad situations with schools stealing recruits from each other. Do you really want to fight for our recruiting class after they sign? Why even have letters of intent? Just say "Hey we really like you for our school and team--- hope you show up for fall practice -- thanks" Its not like these kids are in prison like it is now. They can leave and go anywhere they want as long as they are willing to sit a year. The schools put a lot of resources into recruiting and coaching the players and there should be some hardship for the player if they decide to back out of a commitment. Surely they aren't really going to do this.

I don't really like this rule. I dont know if I am reading this right but a player who has a high enough GPA could bounce around school to school and play. I think a lot of players now don't transfer because they dont want to sit out a year. This would make it easier for them to just get up and leave.

And what is the problem with that? I have never understood why people are so against the college ranks being like the NFL and letting players move around. If I was going to a school for academics and found a school that would accept my credits and offered me a better chance to succeed then I would want to transfer too. Even if I were transferring out of where I was because i couldn't make the grades, that's my prerogative. Everyone wants to pretend that the guys that don't make it to the NFL come out of college as proust scholars. Well, they don't. They should be given the chance to be as successful as possible at what they are good at, which is really the whole point of college in the first place (which it usually fails at anyway).

You're not thinking this through. It is a horrible idea. It would lead to a bunch of really bad situations with schools stealing recruits from each other. Do you really want to fight for our recruiting class after they sign? Why even have letters of intent? Just say "Hey we really like you for our school and team--- hope you show up for fall practice -- thanks" Its not like these kids are in prison like it is now. They can leave and go anywhere they want as long as they are willing to sit a year. The schools put a lot of resources into recruiting and coaching the players and there should be some hardship for the player if they decide to back out of a commitment. Surely they aren't really going to do this.

There are already rules against recruiting players from other schools. I have thought it through completely and regardless of the current rules structure of college sports (which doesn't apear to be working too well), I think that it's not right for the NCAA to punish people for deciding they want to go somewhere else, for any reason. It's certainly true that they are not in prison now and can leave whenever they want to, so the question is, why punish them for it. Not to mention, why waste so much valuable NCAA time with deciding whether all of these waiver applications are for legit reasons, just let the kids play football for pete's sake. As it is now, letters of intent basically secure your scholorship for the next year.... if the university doesn't owe the athlete four years then why should the athlete owe the university four years?

Not to mention that you can cry me a river for all the money that universities spend on recruiting. When they aren't making millions of dollars of PROFIT from college football I will listen to the crying about recruiting costs. This is a business, no different from the NFL, except that the payment comes in the form of eduction. End of story. Trying to keep a player somewhere he doesn't want to be helps no one.

I think it's a great idea. For instance, Saban tells a recruit we want "you will absolutly have early playing time here at Alabama" (which is a lie) then that player can leave without punishment. Why would any of you put up with all the BS lies a "good" recruiter has fed you? It's like a second chance to make the right decision.

There has been a rule that a player who has graduated but still has playing time. can transfer to another NCAA school where there it a graduate program available not found at the players original school. Russell Wilson is an example.

I thought I heard that this rule/ exception was going to be cancelled. Will this more liberal transfer rule take its place?

I think it's a great idea. For instance, Saban tells a recruit we want "you will absolutly have early playing time here at Alabama" (which is a lie) then that player can leave without punishment. Why would any of you put up with all the BS lies a "good" recruiter has fed you? It's like a second chance to make the right decision.

Well, now that may be true. It might put more pressure on recruiters to be honest with the kids. If they decide this is a good idea I would at least raise the GPA req to a 2.8-3.0 and ramp up the penalties on anyone caught recruiting active players.

It still seems like it gives the kids too much power over the success of a program. Let's say you are T A&M and JM starts to believe the hype and gets in trouble right before a championship game (Dyer anyone) and instead of being held accountable he can just say "Hey, Go F yourself coach --- I know you spent your time building this offense around me and my skill set, put in a lot of time with me that could have been spent on my backup, and you did all this because I gave you my word I would play by the rules, but if you don't like it you can watch me play for rival school X and you can lose tomorrow without me." He could cost the school millions and have absolutely ZERO consequences. I think it would be horrible for discipline and accountability. JMO

Not to mention that you can cry me a river for all the money that universities spend on recruiting. When they aren't making millions of dollars of PROFIT from college football I will listen to the crying about recruiting costs. This is a business, no different from the NFL, except that the payment comes in the form of eduction. End of story. Trying to keep a player somewhere he doesn't want to be helps no one.

Just a minor point. It's not just the scholarship the kids are getting as payment. They get all the training/coaching resources. They get to use and be associated with the school's brand. They get television exposure, which can translate into higher draft stock and more money. At a big, tier 1 D1 program these things can be worth millions. Let's not even talk about all the social benefits these guys get. The education is probably the least valuable thing they get from the school, especially for the can't spell their names but can ball types.

Would completely change college football as we know it and I don't think it would be for the best. It would be impossible to maintain depth and everyone would have to run simple systems that guys could learn fast because you couldn't afford to redshirt players or expect a kid to wait more than two years to be a starter.

There has been a rule that a player who has graduated but still has playing time. can transfer to another NCAA school where there it a graduate program available not found at the players original school. Russell Wilson is an example.

I thought I heard that this rule/ exception was going to be cancelled. Will this more liberal transfer rule take its place?

As I understand this the SEC no longer excepts Grad transfers...

Yup and they are the only ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a rundown of the rules changes being voted on Thursday.

Rule 2-1: Establishes the commitments that guide the underlying operating bylaws. This includes a commitment to fair competition, which "acknowledges that variability will exist among members in advantages, including facilities, geographic location and resources and that such variability should not be justification for future legislation."

11-2: Would eliminate the rules defining recruiting coordination functions that must be performed only by a head or assistant coach.

11-3-B: Would prohibit the live scouting of future opponents except in limited circumstances.

11-4: Would remove limits on the number of coaches who can recruit off-campus at any one time, the so-called "baton rule."

12-1: Would establish a uniform definition of actual and necessary expenses.

12-3: Would allow a student-athlete to receive $300 more than actual and necessary expenses, provided the expenses come from an otherwise permissible source.

12-4: Would permit individuals to receive actual and necessary competition-related expenses from outside sponsors, so long as the person is not an agent, booster, or representative of a professional sports organization.

12-5: Would allow student-athletes in sports other than tennis to receive up to actual and necessary competition-related expenses based on performance from an amateur team or event sponsor.

12-6: Would allow student-athletes and prospects to receive actual and necessary expenses for training, coaching, health insurance, etc. from a governmental entity.

13-1: Will allow schools to treat prospects like student-athletes for purposes of applying recruiting regulations once a National Letter of Intent or signed offer of admission or financial aid is received.

13-2: Will allow off-campus contact with recruits beginning the first day of junior year in high school and communication with recruits on or after July 1 after the completion of the recruit's sophomore year in high school.

13-3: Would eliminate restrictions on methods and modes of communication

13-4: Would eliminate the requirement that institutions provide materials such as the banned-drug list and Academic Progress Rate data to recruits.

13-5-A: Would eliminate restrictions on sending printed recruiting materials to recruits.

13-7: Would eliminate restrictions on publicity once a prospective student-athlete has signed a National Letter of Intent or written offer of financial aid or admission.

13-8: Would deregulate camps and clinics employment rules related to both recruits and current student-athletes. Senior football prospects would be allowed to participate in camps and clinics.

14-1: Eliminates academic regulations that are covered elsewhere and directly supported by institutional academic policy.

16-1: Would allow institutions, conferences or the NCAA national office to provide an award to student-athletes any time after initial full-time enrollment.

16-2: Would allow conferences, an institution, the U.S. Olympic Committee, a national governing body or the awarding agency to provide actual and necessary expenses for a student-athlete to receive a non-institutional award or recognition for athletics or academic accomplishments. Expenses could also be provided for parents/legal guardians, a spouse or other relatives as well.

16-3: Would allow institutions, conferences or the NCAA to pay for other academic support, career counseling or personal development services that support the success of the student-athlete.

16-4: Would allow institutions, conferences or the NCAA to pay for medical and related expenses for a student-athlete.

16-5: Would change all Bylaw 16 references to a student-athlete's spouse, parents, family members or children to "family member," establish a specific definition of "family member," and permit specified benefits to such individuals

16-6: Would allow institutions to provide reasonable entertainment in conjunction with competition or practice.

16-7: Would allow schools to provide actual and necessary expenses to student-athletes representing the institution in practice and competition (including expenses for activities/travel that are incidental to practice or competition) as well as in noncompetitive events like goodwill tours and media appearances.

16-8: Would allow student-athletes to receive actual and necessary expenses and "reasonable benefits" associated with a national team practice and competition. The proposal would also allow institutions to pay for any number of national team tryouts and championship events.

SOURCE: NCAA.org.

Yup and they are the only ones.

All of this started with Ole Miss and Jeremiah Masoli............boy did that ever not work for them!

Archived