WTHeck LSU (Threads Merged)

augolf1716

On a lighter note, its nice to see how our offense will look next season if our o-line can't block anyone at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They had the players but Clemson had a Malzahn style offense that just wore them out. I look forward to us running that old dinosaur Nick Saban into the ground ourselves!

This game was a real wakeup call. I look forward to running 90 plus plays next year. With this offense we can recruit some real game breakers. In fact, I think we will see a lot of guys on Auburn's offense reach their potential next year.

I've felt for a while that Les is purposely throwing games/making sure the spread is beat and has someone placing bets on the games for him. If not then he isn't smart. My mother said, "Even I know you should run the ball in that situation."

LSU should have iced the game when they had the chance certainly. Clemson still had to win the game after stopping LSU. I'm going to give credit where it's due, though -- Taj Boyd was simply Superman in a Clemson costume all night long. That 4th & 16 pass he completed to give his team another chance at winning the game at the end was pure Hollywood fairy tale ending stuff.

Make no mistake, LSU's OFFENSE cost them the game. LSU defense was outstanding for 3 1/2 quarters, holding the high powered Clemson offense to 13 points. But LSU's crappy offense went 3 and out NINE times and forced the defense to defend over ONE HUNDRED plays. Impossible to win that way. What little offense LSU had was set up by turnovers forced by their D anyway.

The Hat calls some weird games each year and this ranks up there. Mettenberg passing late when what got them in position was the run, shutting down the offense with too conservative play. Classic.

if thats what you're looking forward to, better find a QB who can carry the team. Tajh Boyd carried Clemson...Very few mistakes with almost 400 yards passing. Did KF have 400 yards passing ALL year last season?

if thats what you're looking forward to, better find a QB who can carry the team. Tajh Boyd carried Clemson...Very few mistakes with almost 400 yards passing. Did KF have 400 yards passing ALL year last season?

Looked like the LSU that AU took to the wire. Their defense was gassed at the end and their pro style offense was shut down by an ACC team for almost the entire game.

Yep Taj had a good game and the passing game tied LSU in knots even with Sammy Watkins out after the first play. Let's see who our QBs (or future QBs) come along under Gus. We found out this season that the pro style works...for some teams...but not for everyone.

With Lefty, no. With Gus, maybe.

That old dinosaur as you call him is probably going to win his 3rd nc in 4 years next Monday. Don't get too cocky.

I really don't get the impression Little Nickie scares Gus. Down 24 points on the road in Turdville, Gus open a can of ........... On little Nickie. I think there is more of that to come!

After LSU's meltdown in the NC last year ending this season with a loss has really got to hurt. Miles would have had his 6th 11 (or more) win season with a win last night. He has had an incredible run in wins & recruiting. I thought LSU's D looked solid and watching their young guys play like aggressive vets made me envious. Sure, they made mistakes but it just shows you what 4*/5* guys can do with good coaching and development. Boyd was the difference maker, but Clemson WRs delivered big-time when it counted the most.

War Eagle !

If their living in the past, how come they always seem to beat. We've never had very good luck playing LSU at home or at their place.

But LSU's crappy offense went 3 and out NINE times and forced the defense to defend over ONE HUNDRED plays. Impossible to win that way.

If LSU's defense would've caused Clemson's offense to go 3 and out NINE times then they wouldn't have had to defend over ONE HUNDRED plays.

But LSU's crappy offense went 3 and out NINE times and forced the defense to defend over ONE HUNDRED plays. Impossible to win that way.

If LSU's defense would've caused Clemson's offense to go 3 and out NINE times then they wouldn't have had to defend over ONE HUNDRED plays.

not to mention they lost on a last second field goal, tends to make me think it was quite possible to win that way.

I want us to get back to where Miles has LSU in a hurry.

That being said, he makes more stupid in-game decisions that any coach I have ever seen. It has nothing to do with his style of play. They had the ball, up two, with a little less than 3 to go. First down, pass, Not smart IMO, but you complete it for 8. Second down and two and you pass? Incomplete. Third down and two and you pass? Incomplete. You have just run off about fourty seconds of clock and you have not forced Clemson to use a single T.O.. Stupid ish like this is what cost Miles W's against bama and Clemson this season. If I was an LSU fan, I would be livid today. Losing that game had nothing to do with his "style of play". It had everything to do with what goes on between his ears during a game.

It is difficult for me to have any concern about the Auburn offense next season. I think the tempo and misdirection will make the Auburn run game a handful for any team. If the quarterback passing comes along any, the Auburn offense has a chance to be very dynamic indeed. It should put every SEC defense in a very stressful position and should simply overwhelm many.

What does concern me is the Auburn defense. I think Malzahn has put together a defensive staff that should be able to come up with a better defensive concept for this type of football. I have not witnessed a competent overall defense at Auburn in many years. My belief is that playing competent, fundamentally sound overall defense is more important than the scheme when complementing this type of offense. I am of the same thought as Coach Malzahn in the area of aggressive defensive play calling and taking risk to force three-and-outs and turnovers. We watched this approach work for both LSU and Clemson last night.

I also think the game last night proved the concept that a team must play their roster deeply in this type of a game. A team must play those second and third tier members to have any chance of defending that type of tempo in the fourth quarter. This is especially true in the secondary.

From what I have gathered over the past years, a defense that holds good quality competition in the lower 20s scoring has done well with this type of offensive tempo. Both Texas A&M and Clemson were successful defensively this season and both defenses allowed between 20 and 25 points average per game this season. Oddly enough, both Texas A&M and Clemson struggled mightily with defending the pass this season. Depth in the defensive secondary appears to be essential when matching a defense to this level of offensive tempo.

That loss was not on Miles. His play calling on LSU's last drive wasnt that bad. WRs were wide open but his QB wildly over threw him. Les played to win that game which is what you should do especially in a bowl. His offense is just too conservative 95% of the time.

That loss was not on Miles. His play calling on LSU's last drive wasnt that bad. WRs were wide open but his QB wildly over threw him. Les played to win that game which is what you should do especially in a bowl. His offense is just too conservative 95% of the time.

I am from the school of thought which believes Les Miles cost them the game. On their last posession, the 1st down pass was a great call. But, on 2nd and two, you run. And, if then faced with 3rd, you run again. Worst case, Clemson would have had to burn a timeout or two. If you make the first down, you run some more and force Clemson to use up their timeouts. In this case, with LSU's offensive style, playing to win meant running the ball and running clock while forcing them to use their timeouts up.

Another time I totally disagreed with Les was when they got a turnover at about the Clemson 30 in the 4th quarter. I would have thrown to the end zone on first down. In that series, they went conservative and, unless I am mistaken, came away with no points.

I just think that, in general, Les has got to be one of the luckiest folks around and not a very good coach. His game plan against Bama in the BCS last year was pathetic on many levels (hello... Les... quit loading the box with 8 on 1st downs... they are going play action more than half the time on 1st!). I will never forget the LSU game against Tenn when LSU should have lost, thanks to a Les mistake, but Dooley out Les Miles'ed Les Miles!

Happy New Year and let's hope that, this time next year, we are preparing for, or at least analyzing, an Auburn bowl game!

WDE

Like someone else said - the first down play was great. Then when you have the ball 2nd and 2 you run the football. If you can't pick up 2 yards on two running plays then you don't deserve to win the game.

Archived