Remember this play ? 1969 Iron Bowl, Connie Frederick 84 yd TD. (video)

IronMan70

I have extremely fond memories of that game. Early in the season I gave an Alabama fan 19 1/2 points and he gave me 5 to 1, His $500 and my $100 - I confirmed the bet the week of the game and went to south Fla for a vacation and did not return until Wed and he never paid. It drummed him out of the JCs ( a big group in Mobile at the time) - I think the man owes me $500 but the bragging rights were worth almost that.

That's how I became an Auburn fan! I bet Sergeant Pickett (an absolutely horrible bammer) $10 that Auburn would win the 1963 Iron Bowl, $10 being a significant portion of my Air Force pay at the time. Auburn won, Pickett welched on the bet and I started loving AU and hating UAT at that point. A year later I finished my Air Force hitch and was looking for a college to take my G.I. Bill benefits to. Since Auburn had already made me proud, that's where I headed. To this day Pickett symbolizes bammers to me, but I do owe the jerk some gratitude. I might not have ended up an Auburn grad if he hadn't welched on that bet.

Therefore, I learned early that bammers have no ethics and I've never bet more than a Coke with a bammer ever since. Hint: They'll welch on a bet as small as a Coke too. It's the nature of the disgraceful beast.

I have extremely fond memories of that game. Early in the season I gave an Alabama fan 19 1/2 points and he gave me 5 to 1, His $500 and my $100 - I confirmed the bet the week of the game and went to south Fla for a vacation and did not return until Wed and he never paid. It drummed him out of the JCs ( a big group in Mobile at the time) - I think the man owes me $500 but the bragging rights were worth almost that.

That's how I became an Auburn fan! I bet Sergeant Pickett (an absolutely horrible bammer) $10 that Auburn would win the 1963 Iron Bowl, $10 being a significant portion of my Air Force pay at the time. Auburn won, Pickett welched on the bet and I started loving AU and hating UAT at that point. A year later I finished my Air Force hitch and was looking for a college to take my G.I. Bill benefits to. Since Auburn had already made me proud, that's where I headed. To this day Pickett symbolizes bammers to me, but I do owe the jerk some gratitude. I might not have ended up an Auburn grad if he hadn't welched on that bet.

Therefore, I learned early that bammers have no ethics and I've never bet more than a Coke with a bammer ever since. Hint: They'll welch on a bet as small as a Coke too. It's the nature of the disgraceful beast.

Actually, the problem with bammers is that they are a lot like shyster lawyers...they don't have morals, they have ethics! Hince the welching on the bet. AU lawyers are the exception of course! ;D

Archived