JB Grimes hired as new OL coach

autigeremt

I know you guys could careless what I think about your OLine coach but I do have some insight. I am a high school OLine coach in Mississippi and I regularly attended MSUs coaches clinics while he was the OLine coach and I absolutely loved the guy. I know his resume the last few years isn't great but this guy knows his stuff when it comes to offensive line. Sometimes its not what you are running, but the players you have running it and without a doubt AU will have the most talented guys he's probably ever coached. I think he'll do a great job on the field. I have no idea about recruiting.

Here we have a Bama guy making more damn sense then half of the "AU" fans in this thread. As far as the last sentence in your post, I dont know if he is a good recruiter or not either but frankly, he already has the recruits he needs. I say let somebody else be the recruiting genius. Right now, we need a crusty old veteran like him that knows how to teach fundamentals, toughness and knows Gus's offense. He fits the bill perfectly.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you guys could careless what I think about your OLine coach but I do have some insight. I am a high school OLine coach in Mississippi and I regularly attended MSUs coaches clinics while he was the OLine coach and I absolutely loved the guy. I know his resume the last few years isn't great but this guy knows his stuff when it comes to offensive line. Sometimes its not what you are running, but the players you have running it and without a doubt AU will have the most talented guys he's probably ever coached. I think he'll do a great job on the field. I have no idea about recruiting.

Here we have a Bama guy making more damn sense then half of the "AU" fans in this thread. As far as the last sentence in your post, I dont know if he is a good recruiter or not either but frankly, he already has the recruits he needs. I say let somebody else be the recruiting genius. Right now, we need a crusty old veteran like him that knows how to teach fundamentals, toughness and knows Gus's offense. He fits the bill perfectly.

He's an old school hard a$$ that will get in your grill!

Sorry, but this is absolutely a horrible hire. This guy was the offensive line coach at Moo State under Sly Croom and their offensive line was a disaster. This guy is worse than Grimes and Hugh Nall in my opinion

+1. Were starting to turn into the Arky St. of the SEC. Was hoping for Hand. J.B. def. seems like the 2nd choice. The OL is a hard area to judge until you see it on the field. I don't quite understand swapping one Grimes for another one when the one we had resume was much better. JB's list of schools is nice but the years he coached at them doesn't stand out. Much like the DL..the OL was man handled at the line of scrimmage. Gus can draw up all the plays he wants but if the OL doesn't take care of business up front...it will not mean much. Time will tell i guess.

It's worse than that!

Look at his hires so far:

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee -- too young to hold the clip board, plus he coached at ArkyState.

Co-defensive coordinators Ellis Johnson and Charlie Harbison -- one was out of work and is too old, the other is nicknamed 'Cheese', for crying out loud! Oh, and as if I need to say it, there's no such thing as co-coordinators! That's just a recipe for disaster!

Now JB Grimes as O-line coach!!! Unemployable Beamer reject with ties to, you guessed it, ArkyState!!!!!

Oh, and Rocker? Pipedream!!!!!

Garner? Can you say 'probation'?!!!!!!

Gus Bus is a total train wreck!!!!!!!

You might be trying to be sarcastic, but the only proven coach Gus has hired at this point is EJ. With the way the rest of search for assistant coaches has gone, I now fully expect Garner and Tracy Rocker to turn down Gus' overtures and for him to hire coaches nobody has ever heard of or that stunk at other schools

Right there with you, man!!! Auburn will be embarrassed yet again!!! Garner is playing us like a fiddle, just like Dameyune Craig!! Will we ever learn?!!! And Rocker? Why on earth would he leave the pros to come back to Auburn?!!!! Insane. Sun Belt Conference, here we come!!!!!

AUBritt - Really ? Have you ever built an organization from scratch ? First, you find people who you can trust and then are capable of doing what you

need for them to do and are motivated to doing it. A good mix of youth and enthusiasm and age and experience is also critical and I mean that in every sense of the word. Gus is in some ways an unconvential hire. So, let us see what he has. If you still can't get past it, there are many adult offerings from you home islands that

will be sufficient for the intended purpose.

WDE

Sorry, but this is absolutely a horrible hire. This guy was the offensive line coach at Moo State under Sly Croom and their offensive line was a disaster. This guy is worse than Grimes and Hugh Nall in my opinion

+1. Were starting to turn into the Arky St. of the SEC. Was hoping for Hand. J.B. def. seems like the 2nd choice. The OL is a hard area to judge until you see it on the field. I don't quite understand swapping one Grimes for another one when the one we had resume was much better. JB's list of schools is nice but the years he coached at them doesn't stand out. Much like the DL..the OL was man handled at the line of scrimmage. Gus can draw up all the plays he wants but if the OL doesn't take care of business up front...it will not mean much. Time will tell i guess.

It's worse than that!

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee -- too young to hold the clip board, plus he coached at ArkyState.

Co-defensive coordinators Ellis Johnson and Charlie Harbison -- one was out of work and is too old, the other is nicknamed 'Cheese', for crying out loud! Oh, and as if I need to say it, there's no such thing as co-coordinators! That's just a recipe for disaster!

Now JB Grimes as O-line coach!!! Unemployable Beamer reject with ties to, you guessed it, ArkyState!!!!!

You might be trying to be sarcastic, but the only proven coach Gus has hired at this point is EJ. With the way the rest of search for assistant coaches has gone, I now fully expect Garner and Tracy Rocker to turn down Gus' overtures and for him to hire coaches nobody has ever heard of or that stunk at other schools

Right there with you, man!!! Auburn will be embarrassed yet again!!! Garner is playing us like a fiddle, just like Dameyune Craig!! Will we ever learn?!!! And Rocker? Why on earth would he leave the pros to come back to Auburn?!!!! Insane. Sun Belt Conference, here we come!!!!!

AUBritt - Really ? Have you ever built an organization from scratch ? First, you find people who you can trust and then are capable of doing what you

need for them to do and are motivated to doing it. A good mix of youth and enthusiasm and age and experience is also critical and I mean that in every sense of the word. Gus is in some ways an unconvential hire. So, let us see what he has. If you still can't get past it, there are many adult offerings from you home islands that

WDE

You realize Britt is totally being a smart a$$ to the doom and gloom crowd right?? Did you read the whole thread to see what's happening?

It's worse than that!

WDE

LOL -- I'm being sarcastic. If you read through the thread, you'll see that.

BTW, when did it become a rule that we have to have a "rockstar" coach at every spot? Did being a hard a$$, old school, no no-nonsense OL coach become out of style or something? Some of you just look at the name recognition and not what the guy can do. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Folks, virtually no one goes out and hires a full staff of proven studs. No one.

From Nick Saban's first staff in 2007 at Alabama:

OC - Major Applewhite - had one year as an OC under his belt, at Rice. Before that, one year as a QB coach at Syracuse.

DL - Bo Davis - served as the assistant S&C coach at LSU under Saban and had one year as DL coach with the Dolphins under Saban.

OL - Joe Pendry - he had plenty of experience, but given some people's issues with gaps in employment, he was unemployed from 2000-2005, then had one year as the Texans OL coach before Saban hired him.

And this was from someone who had far more years of experience and contacts to draw from.

Give it a rest.

Applause

It's worse than that!

WDE

AUBritt was being sarcastic and has been making fun of the gloom and doomers this whole thread.

I hereby dub this thread the official "Whiners Thread". A special award will be presented to the best whiner in the thread. I am also pleased to announce that the esteemed individual and previous award winner pictured below will be on hand to present the award.

Wendy Whiner from Saturday Night Live.

RoDu-Wendy%20Whiner.jpg

This is the actual award, hand crafted in less than 5 minutes by Tiffanys

biggest_whiner_statue_1.jpg

Looks like I got it wrong...I figured the loyal AU people would be calling for Gus's scalp by the end of December because he had not recruited enough 5* players....looks like we didn't get past Christmas and it's because of his coaching hires.

As I note last week I think, the loyalty of AU fans is amazing.

Looks like I got it wrong...I figured the loyal AU people would be calling for Gus's scalp by the end of December because he had not recruited enough 5* players....looks like we didn't get past Christmas and it's because of his coaching hires.

A lot of these people are not AU fans.

He's an old school hard a$$ that will get in your grill!

Yep, my kind of coach.

AUBritt, kinda funny the first time, less funny every other time. a fine line between funny, annoying and childish.

I was thinking the same thing about the doom n gloom sentiments. Can we just play a game before people jump to conclusions about coaches when most have no fricken idea what they are talking about??

But, But, But..they tell us they are...and they have AU in their names ! You mean to tell me that I can't trust some of these people? :angry:

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see an OC who has coached in this type of offense and knows what the OL guys are supposed to do. The other J Grimes was a heck of a recruiter, not doubt about that...and a great guy too...but his OL just never lived up to expectations. I'm good with the new J Grimes until he shows he can't do the job.

But, But, But..they tell us they are...and they have AU in their names ! You mean to tell me that I can't trust some of these people? :angry:/>

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see an OC who has coached in this type of offense and knows what the OL guys are supposed to do. The other J Grimes was a heck of a recruiter, not doubt about that...and a great guy too...but his OL just never lived up to expectations. I'm good with the new J Grimes until he shows he can't do the job.

Exactly!!! But...there's too many people that want to piss and moan about everything. They're not impressed...bahaha, laughable. It isn't Gus' job to impress you, his job is to field a competitive team. How about let him do that before mailing it in??

AUBritt, kinda funny the first time, less funny every other time. a fine line between funny, annoying and childish.

I was thinking the same thing about the doom n gloom sentiments. Can we just play a game before people jump to conclusions about coaches when most have no fricken idea what they are talking about??

I see you saw the irony in his post too. ;)

annoying is somebody that tells other people how to post. Thought for the day. (and yes, I get the irony. I'm just an :moon: that way)

I hereby dub this thread the official "Whiners Thread". A special award will be presented to the best whiner in the thread. I am also pleased to announce that the esteemed individual and previous award winner pictured below will be on hand to present the award.

RoDu-Wendy%20Whiner.jpg

I've got a couple of nominations for ya. Would be pretty easy to pick out by reading this thread ( or most threads actually).

RoDu-Wendy%20Whiner.jpg

I've got a couple of nominations for ya. Would be pretty easy to pick out by reading this thread ( or most threads actually).

Repeat offenders

well sure that would be ideal, but people come to boards like this to voice their concerns, etc. It is the same with every fanbase and there is no reason why ours would be any different. To get upset about this and let it bother you is pointless. I like the avenue that TitanTIger took in approaching it. Look how many posts are put up in a game thread when there is a bad play.I got no problem with people voicing their opinion on a discussion board about the topic, but someone who just adds sarcastic responses is adding nothing to the topic at hand just, nevermind. not worth saying

annoying is somebody that tells other people how to post. Thought for the day. (and yes, I get the irony. I'm just an :moon: that way)

annoying is when someone can't comprehend a statement. Thought of the day!!! :Sing:

Archived