JB Grimes hired as new OL coach

autigeremt

Well, as with his previous hires another coach that really had no where to go- no other offers. I am not impressed with the hires thus far- I hope I am wrong.

CEJ was sought after by other schools. FSU is the most prominent. Dameyune Craig may have elected to stay there, but CEJ picked us over them, I believe.

It would appear so, what with the contract and all that! :hellyeah::bananadance:

Lol -- I was qualifying the 'over them' part. I believe FSU wanted to hire CEJ.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as with his previous hires another coach that really had no where to go- no other offers. I am not impressed with the hires thus far- I hope I am wrong.

So what he should have done is show how manly he is by targeting only guys that he had to steal away from other schools. Overlook one of the best, most experienced defensive coordinators around because he was already available. And didn't Harbison already have a job?

Good Lord at the ways people can turn lemonade into lemons around here. This is a trait of the Auburn fanbase I've come to loathe.

This is a good hire. He knows this offense. He is a stickler for positioning and assignment. As I have said before, Grimes is known to get on a player for lining up 5" off mark. If you know Your coach is going to be all over you lining up 5" off, you certainly aren't going to go out and get yourself arrested. You would never see the field again. I want an aggressive, tough line on both sides of the ball!

While I think Jeff grimes is an excellent coach, I don't think Gus is going to keep anyone from the old staff. He may like the guys, but it's too risky with all of the problems that were here. It trickled down and he can't risk bringing anyone who is tainted. It's a fresh start with only those who will buy everything that he is selling.

Not sure what to think of this hire(unemployed two out of the last four years makes me wonder why this was). Gus knows what he needs. I just wonder if he was Gus's first choice, seems like it would have been easy to announce a carry over from his old staff much sooner. Obviously i don't know who was or wasn't contacted.

Only time will tell just how good of a hire JB Grimes is for GM. IMOP this is not the best nor the worst hire but a safe hire for GM for a number of reasons.

At this point I only hope that he can develop one of the best OL that AU has ever field on the gridiron.

A coaching veteran with a career spanning five different decades, J.B. Grimes helped Malzahn and the Red Wolves’ offense set a school record with 481.8 total yards while ranking 16th nationally in fewest sacks allowed.

Sounds like a total hack to me. This reeks of desperation.

:drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa:

So what he should have done is show how manly he is by targeting only guys that he had to steal away from other schools. Overlook one of the best, most experienced defensive coordinators around because he was already available. And didn't Harbison already have a job?

Good Lord at the ways people can turn lemonade into lemons around here. This is a trait of the Auburn fanbase I've come to loathe.

I'm guessing we're not worse than any other fan base. The internet lets us meet a lot of folks we'd never encounter face-to-face. Go to a game, you don't see/hear all this stuff.

“My whole deal is I’m going to get men of character that will represent Auburn the right way. They’re going to be great coaches and great recruiters.”

Great strategy, Gus. You need to hire the best coaches, period. Whether they are men of character is totally irrelevant. Oh, and you can't have people who are both great coaches and great recruiters. You just fired all our great recruiters; now you want to hire coaches who are out of work. Who knows what you're thinking?

:drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa:

I would feel a lot more warm and fuzzy about this hire if it would have been made when Lashley was named OC. Since it has taken a bit for it to happen I can only assume that Gus did not get his first choice/choices which is dissapointing, Regardless just because the guy wasn't the first choice doesn't mean he is a bad choice. Atleast he is familiar with Gus' offense and can appaprently coach the line to Gus' liking so that's the important part.

I feel "ok" about this hire. It isn't the most flashy hire, but it is not a bad hire. I would call this one safe. The dude has experience, IDK if he can recruit, but one would assume that he could see underrated talent from a mile off having coached at Delta State (D2 program for those wondering), Arkansas, MSU, VT, and other places. So I would label this one as safe, with potential to be great. Don't see a negative in this one.

I feel this way as well. Gus doesn't need flashy hires on offense. He simply needs people who are familiar with his offense and who will run it. And guys who are good teachers of their position. I like that that was the first thing out of Gus' mouth when mentioning CJBG. I think this will be a good 'un!

Sunshine pumper. I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity like you. If you were realistic, you'd see the sky really is falling.

:drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa:

Sorry, but this is absolutely a horrible hire. This guy was the offensive line coach at Moo State under Sly Croom and their offensive line was a disaster. This guy is worse than Grimes and Hugh Nall in my opinion

So coaching four years under Beamer at Va Tech means nothing?

Ignore him. He will hate anything Gus does

Well I think it's a hire that makes very good sense but IMO yes, coaching under the perenially overrated Frank Beamer, especially almost 20 years ago when Va Tech was in the Big Least is not an impressive resume point. We played arguably our sloppiest game of 2004 in the bowl against Va Tech and still beat one of Beamer's best teams.

If it's not really a done deal might this impact Westerman staying?

Sorry but there is plenty of reason to be skeptical of this hire. Being unemployed two of the last 4 years and the only job he got during the other two years was Kansas and Arkansas State. He apparently cant recruit either based on what some people are saying on other boards

Sorry but there is plenty of reason to be skeptical of this hire. Being unemployed two of the last 4 years and the only job he got during the other two years was Kansas and Arkansas State. He apparently cant recruit either based on what some people are saying on other boards

Exactly! I don't see what all these sunshine pumping fools are talking about! This is obviously a terrible hire. I read it on the internet. :iamwithstupid:

Exactly! I don't see what all these sunshine pumping fools are talking about! This is obviously a terrible hire. I read it on the internet. :iamwithstupid:

Yeah because we should trust a guy that myself and the majority of Auburn fans never wanted as head coach to start with

Sorry, but this is absolutely a horrible hire. This guy was the offensive line coach at Moo State under Sly Croom and their offensive line was a disaster. This guy is worse than Grimes and Hugh Nall in my opinion

+1. Were starting to turn into the Arky St. of the SEC. Was hoping for Hand. J.B. def. seems like the 2nd choice. The OL is a hard area to judge until you see it on the field. I don't quite understand swapping one Grimes for another one when the one we had resume was much better. JB's list of schools is nice but the years he coached at them doesn't stand out. Much like the DL..the OL was man handled at the line of scrimmage. Gus can draw up all the plays he wants but if the OL doesn't take care of business up front...it will not mean much. Time will tell i guess.

I would feel a lot more warm and fuzzy about this hire if it would have been made when Lashley was named OC. Since it has taken a bit for it to happen I can only assume that Gus did not get his first choice/choices which is dissapointing, Regardless just because the guy wasn't the first choice doesn't mean he is a bad choice. Atleast he is familiar with Gus' offense and can appaprently coach the line to Gus' liking so that's the important part.

Idk, maybe he knew exactly who he wanted as OC and DC and got those 2 guys on board. Then he met with these guys about options for the position coaches. CGM and CRL threw several names out there of guys they have worked with and others they could now afford due to the bigger budget at AU. After several days of research they decided CJBG was the best option at OL

Or maybe he was a plan B guy. But like you said, it is still a good hire!

Yeah because we should trust a guy that myself and the majority of Auburn fans never wanted as head coach to start with

Totally! I mean, the guy's just a high school coach who couldn't hold Petrino's jockstrap! His offense will never work in the SEC!!! PTB pawn!!!

So coaching four years under Beamer at Va Tech means nothing?

Look at his resume in the last 4 years:

2009: Unemployed

2010: Kansas under Turner Gill

2011: unemployed

2012: Arkansas State

His resume in that time period is about as weak as you can get. No, I dont care that he worked for Beamer 15 years ago. Every coach Beamer hires is not great. Most Virginia Tech fans want to fire their current offenisve coordinator today

If this is his resume... :no:

Idk, maybe he knew exactly who he wanted as OC and DC and got those 2 guys on board. Then he met with these guys about options for the position coaches. CGM and CRL threw several names out there of guys they have worked with and others they could now afford due to the bigger budget at AU. After several days of research they decided CJBG was the best option at OL

Or maybe he was a plan B guy. But like you said, it is still a good hire!

Gus is a complete idiot. The only people he can hire are kids (Lashlee) and other unemployed idiots (Johnson/Grimes). It is completely impossible for it to have transpired any other way. Gus' tenure at Auburn will make us long for the golden days of Chizik, before 2013 even gets underway.

Archived