JB Grimes hired as new OL coach

autigeremt

Yet he pulled in Ellis Johnson and Harbison who I don't think were in his coaching circle.

Johnson was unemployed and Auburn was about as good a job-offer as he was going to get. Gus didn't exactly pull anyone away from a top-tier program with that one. Harbison was brought in by Johnson, and his seat was starting to get a bit warm over at Clemson.

Sorry Petrino didn't get the job. That is just how it goes sometime.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at what Arky coaches he is bringing, his own OC/QB and OL coaches, its the two most important hires to make his offense a seamless transition. They both know his offense, they buy in to it and they know how to teach it. Makes perfect sense and my guess is it will be the last Arky St hires.

Well that just makes to much sense. WTH dude?

Luck ? ;D

Has anybody seen my two year old? When he doesn't get his way, he likes to pitch a fit and then suck on his thumb. I thought he might be in here. If you see him, please let me know. Thanks!

If you look at what Arky coaches he is bringing, his own OC/QB and OL coaches, its the two most important hires to make his offense a seamless transition. They both know his offense, they buy in to it and they know how to teach it. Makes perfect sense and my guess is it will be the last Arky St hires.

10, you remember all too well how facts blur certain peoples outlooks.

To think it is 1120 Eastern Time. Good Night all!

mod edit: insulting members here will not be tolerated. Do it again, and you will earn a vacation.

So no other big time schools needed an experienced defensive coordinator? I mean, FSU was looking for a DC. Were they the only ones besides us?

Johnson was on the candidate list at FSU...but when you've got an offer at Auburn for $800k and you are only a "candidate" at other schools, its a pretty easy choice to make. Need I also remind you that FSU was only paying Stoops $550k before he took the Kentucky HC job...FSU was not going to out-bid us for Johnson. There aren't many schools in the country that were going to give Johnson $800k a year; hell his current salary is even higher than what he made this year as Southern Miss' HC.

Has anybody seen my two year old? When he doesn't get his way, he likes to pitch a fit and then suck on his thumb. I thought he might be in here. If you see him, please let me know. Thanks!

I'm not sure if he's yours or not....

10, you remember all too well how facts blur certain peoples outlooks.

It is just amazing. I am sitting here just shaking my head at post after post. Baffling!

So no other big time schools needed an experienced defensive coordinator? I mean, FSU was looking for a DC. Were they the only ones besides us?

Johnson was on the candidate list at FSU...but when you've got an offer at Auburn for $800k and you are only a "candidate" at other schools, its a pretty easy choice to make. Need I also remind you that FSU was only paying Stoops $550k before he took the Kentucky HC job...FSU was not going to out-bid us for Johnson. There aren't many schools in the country that were going to give Johnson $800k a year; hell his current salary is even higher than what he made this year as Southern Miss' HC.

So Gus gets no credit for hiring one of the best DCs available because he was...available? And we're Auburn?

You're sort of stacking the deck here to support your paradigm.

So can Grimes recruit?

The recruits are already there. I don't know if he can recruit but our immediate need is a teacher of fundamentals and of the blocking schemes for Gus's offense right now.

And?

I'm not sure if he's yours or not....

:bow::laugh:

I'm not stacking anything. All I'm saying is that handing nearly a million dollars to a 60 year old who was conveniently out of a job doesn't all of a sudden answer the question marks surrounding Malzahn's ability to assemble a staff that can compete with the Alabamas, LSUs, Floridas, etc. of the SEC.

There's not much to get down about. Malzahn can't and won't get the "best" position coaches out there, as he isn't a big head coaching name yet like saban miles Meyer etc who hand pick whoever they want. auburn went with Malzahn and this is part of it, he will bring in people who know how to work with his system, who he already has relationship with. I'm not ecstatic about grimes but if offensive genius Gus will take him, I have to trust Gus. Where the big hires have to come is defensive and hopefully wide receiver. Let Gus take care of offense and lets get the best defensive coaches we can, our players will return to spread form quickly since they're used to it, but its yet a new defensive scheme that will slow the teams progress. Getting the foundation of the defensive correct by hiring the best coaches is the most important task (imo).

I'm not stacking anything. All I'm saying is that handing nearly a million dollars to a 60 year old who was conveniently out of a job doesn't all of a sudden answer the question marks surrounding Malzahn's ability to assemble a staff that can compete with the Alabamas, LSUs, Floridas, etc. of the SEC.

Neither does hiring a coach he trusts and did well in his system last season confirm that all he can hire is folks he's familiar with.

Outside of Herb Hand (who would have also fallen into Malzahn's "coaching circle"), what OL coach do you think he should have gone after but didn't that would be a good fit for this offense?

I just hope Gus isn't putting together the BBQ Gang 2.0 at Auburn.

One coach he's known for years (Lashlee). The other coached one season under him at Arky State (Grimes). Exactly how does that bring up worries of BBQ Gang 2.0?

and female dogging about it isn't going to answer it either. Let him put his staff together, let the coaches he hires do their job, and wait until the end of next Nov. before we start judging anything or anybody. Why not show support, until the time comes to not show support?

There's not much to get down about. Malzahn can't and won't get the "best" position coaches out there, as he isn't a big head coaching name yet like saban miles Meyer etc who hand pick whoever they want. auburn went with Malzahn and this is part of it, he will bring in people who know how to work with his system, who he already has relationship with. I'm not ecstatic about grimes but if offensive genius Gus will take him, I have to trust Gus. Where the big hires have to come is defensive and hopefully wide receiver. Let Gus take care of offense and lets get the best defensive coaches we can, our players will return to spread form quickly since they're used to it, but its yet a new defensive scheme that will slow the teams progress. Getting the foundation of the defensive correct by hiring the best coaches is the most important task (imo).

^ This. Not crazy about this hire, but Gus doesn't have a lot of clout and at least Grimes does provide some continuity for Gus as far as coaching and scheme goes. They already know each other and are on the same page.

Did you really just say "female dogging about it"?

Yep. I have seen some words my mom wouldn't let me say posted on here. Not sure that one would fly though.

That 60 year old that was out of a job was also going to be getting $700,000 a year for the remainder of his contract at USM. That one bad year at USM doesn't erase his track record as a defensive coordinator, and you can bet your ass that if Auburn hadn't of hired him someone else would have.

So Gus is not truthful when he says: Coach Gimes is one of the top 5 O line coaches in the country?

Gus has 7 years of collegiate coaching experience. Has he coached with every OL coach in the country? How could he possibly have enough experience to seriously make that claim?

Its a coach-speak statement. What do you expect him to say? "This guy sucks but I hired him anyway?"

J.B. Grimes is not a Top 5 OL coach. He's not.

Let's follow your (lack of) reasoning here. Malzahn hasn't coached with every OL coach in the country. Gus only has seven years experience in D1. Therefore Gus can not have a valid opinion on OL coaches and where they rank. Got it.

But then you turn around and say unequivocally " J.B. Grimes is not a Top 5 OL coach. He's not." So....I take it that you have coached with every OL coach in the country? You have more than seven years experience in D1? More experience than Gus? 'Cause if you haven't and you don't, how can you possibly know enough to make your unequivocal statement about J.B. Grimes?

I have no idea where Grimes ranks in his profession. I reckon he ranks pretty highly with AU's head coach though. And that's really all that matters. Maybe you and that OxfordTiger thing should get a room.

Archived