JB Grimes hired as new OL coach

autigeremt

I'm not even sure what constitutes a "BOOM" OL hire. Solid guy, who knows what he's doing is all we need. This hire works for me. I think the only reason I wanted Hand was its always fun to take things from other schools. My guess is Gus knows exactly what he's doing with this hire.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the OL goes, I'd rather have a better teacher than a recruiter. A good teacher can turn a 2* prospect into a 5* player in the same amount of time a good recruiter can turn a 5* prospect into a 2* player. Give the man a chance before you make a fool of yourself.

So Gus is not truthful when he says: Coach Gimes is one of the top 5 O line coaches in the country?

No way this guy is a top 5 offensive line coach. He might be in the bottom 5 worse OL coaches

No way you aren't trolling. Off to troll island with you.

Might not be. Could be "second choice, solid hire." Maybe he was waiting for Hand to make up his mind. Or maybe there are more pieces to the puzzle. If you take a guy with the reputation of being a better teacher than recruiter in one spot, you need to perhaps grab a better recruiter in another slot. So waiting on this hire could have to do with knowing what you're getting in other spots.

All I can say is that when he was hired I was told that Malzahn's greatest weakness was the fact that he had very few contacts developed among the coaching circle and that he was overly loyal to his small circle of coaches that he knows. JB Grimes was specifically mentioned as a guy that Gus would look to bring when he should be setting the bar much higher. Auburn is giving him more than enough money to assemble a top-level SEC staff...for him to have been hired weeks ago and to name Grimes today confirms the realistic worry that I had about Malzahn. Grimes does absolutely nothing for me.

As far as the OL goes, I'd rather have a better teacher than a recruiter. A good teacher can turn a 2* prospect into a 5* player in the same amount of time a good recruiter can turn a 5* prospect into a 2* player. Give the man a chance before you make a fool of yourself.

I agree, we need teachers on the OL and DL, like right now. Let the recruiters come from other places.

Isn't this part of the reason people wanted to run Tubbs out of town?

Might not be. Could be "second choice, solid hire." Maybe he was waiting for Hand to make up his mind. Or maybe there are more pieces to the puzzle. If you take a guy with the reputation of being a better teacher than recruiter in one spot, you need to perhaps grab a better recruiter in another slot. So waiting on this hire could have to do with knowing what you're getting in other spots.

All I can say is that when he was hired I was told that Malzahn's greatest weakness was the fact that he had very few contacts developed among the coaching circle and that he was overly loyal to his small circle of coaches that he knows. JB Grimes was specifically mentioned as a guy that Gus would look to bring when he should be setting the bar much higher. Auburn is giving him more than enough money to assemble a top-level SEC staff...for him to have been hired weeks ago and to name Grimes today

confirms the realistic worry that I had about Malzahn. Grimes does absolutely nothing for me.

So let me guess: You feel Petrino would have done better?

No. It was because he wouldn't let coaches go that clearly weren't getting the job done and he stopped really fighting for the best players in state.

All I can say is that when he was hired I was told that Malzahn's greatest weakness was the fact that he had very few contacts developed among the coaching circle and that he was overly loyal to his small circle of coaches that he knows. JB Grimes was specifically mentioned as a guy that Gus would look to bring when he should be setting the bar much higher. Auburn is giving him more than enough money to assemble a top-level SEC staff...for him to have been hired weeks ago and to name Grimes today confirms the realistic worry that I had about Malzahn. Grimes does absolutely nothing for me.

Probably a legitimate ding against him. Yet he pulled in Ellis Johnson and Harbison who I don't think were in his coaching circle.

So Gus is not truthful when he says: Coach Gimes is one of the top 5 O line coaches in the country?

Gus has 7 years of collegiate coaching experience. Has he coached with every OL coach in the country? How could he possibly have enough experience to seriously make that claim?

Its a coach-speak statement. What do you expect him to say? "This guy sucks but I hired him anyway?"

J.B. Grimes is not a Top 5 OL coach. He's not.

No. It was because he wouldn't let coaches go that clearly weren't getting the job done and he stopped really fighting for the best players in state.

This^^^ To think that people wanted Tubs gone due to the OL performance is laughable. Tubbs' downfall came from his lackadaisical approach to recruiting.

Grimes' methodical, detail oriented approach to coaching will pay dividends quicker than most will believe.

Probably a legitimate ding against him. Yet he pulled in Ellis Johnson and Harbison who I don't think were in his coaching circle.

Yes true, but according to the Petrino Cult members on this thread he would have done better than Johnson and Harbison!

Yes true, but according to the Petrino Cult members on this thread he would have done better than Johnson and Harbison!

(petrino fan here) IDK might have done better, but no way to tell now though.

If you look at what Arky coaches he is bringing, his own OC/QB and OL coaches, its the two most important hires to make his offense a seamless transition. They both know his offense, they buy in to it and they know how to teach it. Makes perfect sense and my guess is it will be the last Arky St hires.

Gus has 7 years of collegiate coaching experience. Has he coached with every OL coach in the country? How could he possibly have enough experience to seriously make that claim?

Its a coach-speak statement. What do you expect him to say? "This guy sucks but I hired him anyway?"

I must say, I am impressed with you! To think you know more as to whom is a top 5 O line coach than Gus, and Gus has a Natty under his belt! You are one impressive guy!

Not trying to be argumentative, Meta, because the probability of him not being in the top 5 is great. However, how do we KNOW, he is not? Call me a sheep of a sunshine pumper, but CGM knows a heck of a lot more than I with regards to football. I will yield to his expertise... for now.

Arkansas State ranked as the 21st best rushing offense in the country for 2012. Total offense they ranked 17th. For all the dumb a$$ negative posters on this board, that ain't bad. We are talking about ASU Red Wolves. He knows Gus' offense. He is a mean a$$ old school type coach. No complaints here.

Yes they will moan and groan about anybody being hired on the staff....kind of tired of it or some of them are fans of another school posing....

No way this guy is a top 5 offensive line coach. He might be in the bottom 5 worse OL coaches

Who would the other bottom five be? Who are the top five OL coaches? Gus needs someone who can coach lineman in context of the offensive scheme he will be running. If it doesn't work then Gus will replace him.

If you look at what Arky coaches he is bringing, his own OC/QB and OL coaches, its the two most important hires to make his offense a seamless transition. They both know his offense, they buy in to it and they know how to teach it. Makes perfect sense and my guess is it will be the last Arky St hires.

^THIS

Gus knows what he is getting with Grimes, he can now do exactly what he PLANNED with the offense, and they both can recruit for what is best for the system since both know what to look for!

Well that just makes to much sense. WTH dude?

Yet he pulled in Ellis Johnson and Harbison who I don't think were in his coaching circle.

Johnson was unemployed and Auburn was about as good a job-offer as he was going to get. Gus didn't exactly pull anyone away from a top-tier program with that one. Harbison was brought in by Johnson, and his seat was starting to get a bit warm over at Clemson.

Yet he pulled in Ellis Johnson and Harbison who I don't think were in his coaching circle.

Johnson was unemployed and Auburn was about as good a job-offer as he was going to get. Gus didn't exactly pull anyone away from a top-tier program with that one. Harbison was brought in by Johnson, and his seat was starting to get a bit warm over at Clemson.

So no other big time schools needed an experienced defensive coordinator? I mean, FSU was looking for a DC. Were they the only ones besides us?

I mean, Meta you're starting to sound like you've formed this certain opinion and everything gets filtered through that paradigm now. It's a head you win, tails I lose scenario. If he waits and gets a lesser coach, it's because everything you heard about him being to clingy to his limited circle is true. If he hires outside that circle, it's because no one else wanted them.

So what you are saying is that all AU can get is everyone else's leftovers? Cause if ya feel like that is all AU can get then why even bother posting on a forum about them?

Archived