WR coach thread

kickerman97

You think we're gonna have mostly Arkansas State coaches on our staff? we've got 3 of them already. I hope Gus spreads it out and gets top coaches from other places. Maybe even from the NFL.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, does anyone have an idea what Gus is doing that prevents him from hiring a coaching staff?

He's busy hiring a staff.

Is he? Last I heard, Gus was doing a meet-and-greet with the press in Huntsville, and Mobile before that. And recruiting? In the past week there have been decommitments and no new commits. Maybe he would be better off hiring a coaching staff. Tennessee just finished its coaching staff, and Arkansas is getting there. Gus hasn't even been able to hire a TEs coach. If getting the runaround from Dameyune Craig is all Gus has to show for the past week, does that qualify as a successful use of his time? These are fair questions. I really like the hire of Malzahn as HC, but someone seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to filling out the coaching staff.

Someone had a thread up earlier showing the timelines for hires under both CGC & now CGM. Malzahn is definitely way ahead of Chizik's schedule just to give you some perspective. Guys wasn't hired by Chizik until just before New Year's and he was the first hire. Coach Grimes, the last hire, wasn't on board until about a week or two before spring practice which also happened to be after Signing Day that year.

I regret that post. I was sort of ragging on Gus based on nothing more than my own ignorance and impatience. I have loads of both. No question Gus has a lot on his plate in taking over this program and trying to turn it around, and that no doubt entails a lot of tasks that aren't appreciated by idiot message board posters-like myself. WDE

Blueridge...I appreciate your humility! You give me faith that maybe there are some out there who really do second-guess some of what they post, and it should make us each want to follow your example! Takes great courage to write what you just did. One domino at a time...thanks for living the example of a true Auburn Man/Woman!

From the Creed... "I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

So, does anyone have an idea what Gus is doing that prevents him from hiring a coaching staff?

He's busy hiring a staff.

Is he? Last I heard, Gus was doing a meet-and-greet with the press in Huntsville, and Mobile before that. And recruiting? In the past week there have been decommitments and no new commits. Maybe he would be better off hiring a coaching staff. Tennessee just finished its coaching staff, and Arkansas is getting there. Gus hasn't even been able to hire a TEs coach. If getting the runaround from Dameyune Craig is all Gus has to show for the past week, does that qualify as a successful use of his time? These are fair questions. I really like the hire of Malzahn as HC, but someone seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to filling out the coaching staff.

Someone had a thread up earlier showing the timelines for hires under both CGC & now CGM. Malzahn is definitely way ahead of Chizik's schedule just to give you some perspective. Guys wasn't hired by Chizik until just before New Year's and he was the first hire. Coach Grimes, the last hire, wasn't on board until about a week or two before spring practice which also happened to be after Signing Day that year.

I regret that post. I was sort of ragging on Gus based on nothing more than my own ignorance and impatience. I have loads of both. No question Gus has a lot on his plate in taking over this program and trying to turn it around, and that no doubt entails a lot of tasks that aren't appreciated by idiot message board posters-like myself. WDE

Sorry, because of my laziness, I am not going to read through 15 pages. Have all of the names mentioned been just inernet gossip, or do we have some realistic candidates in mind?

Sorry, because of my laziness, I am not going to read through 15 pages. Have all of the names mentioned been just inernet gossip, or do we have some realistic candidates in mind?

Yes

Yes

Thanks. All I needed to know. I can sleep soundly tonight.

It makes me wonder who Gus will hire as WR coach and TE coach.

Considering Gus doesn't use a traditional TE slot they could fall under one coach.

It makes me wonder who Gus will hire as WR coach and TE coach.

Considering Gus doesn't use a traditional TE slot they could fall under one coach.

That's what I was thinking. I say split practice time for TE with WR and OL drills

i think jboulware coached the H backs as well. eric smith, LD, prosch, lutz, but with gus making those decisions how he will do it instead of chiz, who knows.

Bump for continued talking about the WR coaching position. It's starting to spill over into other threads.

Most recent mentioned name: Harold Jackson - BAYLOR

Harold Jackson, a five-time All-Pro wide receiver and 10-year National Football League coaching veteran, is in his fourth season at Baylor and his sixth as Guy Morriss' wide receivers coach.

Jackson has coached two of Baylor's six all-time wide out trios to each record at least 30 receptions in a season -- Dominique Zeigler (55), Trent Shelton (37) and Marques Roberts (35) in 2004 and Zeigler (48), Shaun Rochon (44) and Shelton (39) in 2005.

In his first year on the BU sideline, Jackson coached All-Big 12 performer Robert Quiroga, who snagged a team-high 42 receptions for 490 yards and four touchdowns, and averaged 31.4 yards on 14 kickoff returns. Dominique Zeigler led the 2004 Bears in receptions (55) en route to honorable mention coaches All-Big 12 recognition and paced the 2005 squad with 48 receptions to garner second-team coaches All-Big 12 honors.

Jackson came to Baylor after spending two seasons as Morriss' receivers coach at Kentucky. In his first year at UK, wideout Derek Abney became a first-team All-Southeastern Conference performer, a feat he repeated in 2002 when he also earned first-team All-America honors. Jackson also oversaw the development of Aaron Boone and Tommy Cook, who blossomed as reliable contributors during the 2001 campaign.

He coached receivers for 10 years in the NFL with New England (1985-89), Tampa Bay (1992-93) and New Orleans (1997-99). In his first NFL season as a coach, the Patriots won the AFC championship and played in the 1986 Super Bowl. It was at New England where Jackson became acquainted with Morriss, who played for the Patriots from 1984-87 and was an assistant coach with the organization in 1988-89.

From New England, Jackson served as an assistant coach at North Carolina Central University in Durham, N.C., during the 1990 season. In 1991, he was the offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Night of the Arena Football League before returning to the NFL at Tampa Bay.

Following his two-year coaching stint with Tampa Bay, Jackson spent the 1994 season as the head coach at Virginia Union College in Richmond, Va. He then served as head coach for two seasons (1995-96) at Benedict College in Columbia, S.C., where he helped revive a football program that had been dormant for 29 years, before joining the Saints' staff.

Jackson enjoyed a sterling 16-year NFL playing career with the Los Angeles Rams (1968, 1973-77), Philadelphia Eagles (1969-72), New England Patriots (1978-81), Minnesota Vikings (1982) and Seattle Seahawks (1983). While with the Eagles, one of his teammates was Baylor defensive coordinator Bill Bradley. All-told, Jackson played on eight playoff teams as a pro. His career totals include 579 receptions for 10,372 yards and 76 touchdowns. Jackson had 29 career 100-yard games and three 1,000-yard seasons. He ranks 16th in league history in receiving yardage. Jackson led the NFL in receptions in 1972 and in receiving yardage in both 1969 and 1972.

A native of Hattiesburg, Miss., Jackson played his collegiate football at Jackson State University and is a member of both the Mississippi and JSU Sports Hall of Fames. A 1968 JSU graduate, his hometown of Hattiesburg held Harold Jackson Day and presented him with a key to the city. Over the years, he has been active as a speaker for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Hattiesburg Department of Recreation.

Harold and his wife, Carolyn, have one son, Brandon.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jackson_harold00.html

Dino Babers: Assistant Coach (WR)/Special Team Coordinator

Dino Babers joined Baylor's staff in 2008 and serves as outside receivers coach and special teams coordinator.

In his first two seasons at Baylor, Babers mentored All-Big 12 receiver David Gettis, a 2010 draft pick of the Carolina Panthers.

Previous to Baylor, Babers spent four seasons as an assistant coach at UCLA and before that served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Arizona.

Babers helped the Bruins to bowl bids in each of his four seasons in Westwood, including a trip to the 2007 Las Vegas Bowl. He coached the Bruin running backs his last two seasons after originally joining the staff as wide receivers coach in 2004. In addition, Babers served as the program's assistant head coach during the 2007 season and was its recruiting coordinator in 2006. Bruin tailback Chris Markey was Baber's standout pupil, becoming the 14th career 2,000-yard rusher in school history and in 2006, the first Bruin since 1962 to lead the team in both rushing and receptions in the same season.

In 2005, a core group of Bruin receivers emerged under Babers' direction, Joe Cowan, Marcus Everett and Brandon Breazell. Each caught at least 24 passes and scored a combined total of nine touchdowns while helping to make up for the void left due to the season-ending injury to Junior Taylor in the season's third game. In 2004, his first season with the Bruins, Craig Bragg became UCLA's career receptions leader and Taylor enjoyed his best season as a Bruin. The Bruins recorded 22 touchdown receptions in `04, almost doubling the total of the previous season (12).

Babers spent the 2003 campaign as running backs coach at Pittsburgh, which followed a two-year stint (2001 and 2002) as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Texas A&M.

Before moving to College Station, he spent six seasons (1995-2000) as an assistant coach on Dick Tomey's Arizona Wildcats staff, coaching receivers (1995-96), running backs (1997) and quarterbacks (1998-2000). He also spent two seasons (1996-97) as the Wildcats' assistant head coach before being promoted to offensive coordinator for his final three seasons at the school. Arizona averaged a Pac-10 leading 471.9 total-offense yards in 1999 to rank third nationally. In his first year (1998) as Arizona's offensive coordinator, the Wildcats finished 12-1 and produced a 1,000-yard rusher, two 1,000-yard passers and a pair of receivers who combined for 121 receptions.

The San Diego native has also worked at San Diego State (1994, receivers), Purdue (1991-93, receivers), Northern Arizona (1990, special teams coordinator and defensive backs), UNLV (1988-89, special teams coordinator and running backs) and Eastern Illinois (1987 (running backs). He began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant at Hawai'i in 1984 and then spent the next two seasons (1985 and 1986) in a similar position at Arizona State before landing a full-time job at Eastern Illinois in 1987.

All-told, 22 offensive players Babers has coached or recruited have landed in the NFL (17 wide receivers and five running backs), including one first-rounder and two second-rounders.

A 1984 graduate of the University of Hawai'i with a bachelor's degree in education, Babers started at three different positions for the Warriors during his collegiate career -- outside linebacker, strong safety and running back while earning All-Western Athletic Conference Academic honors. As a senior, he served as the Warriors' special teams captain and was the club's leading rusher.

Following his final collegiate season, Babers spent one year in the Canadian Football League before an injury ended his playing career.

Babers, who received his master's degree in education administration and supervision from Arizona State in 1987, and his wife Susan have four daughters -- Breeahnah, Tasha, Jazzmin and Paris.

Baylor's WR coach is Art Briles' son.

Dino left Baylor last December 2011to become a Head Coach. His salary as HC is $170k and he earns $1500 or $3000 performance bonuses for winning 9 games or being coach of year or Team academics improvement. $54k bonuses potential in 3 year contract. Several editorial articles about his salary being too high compared to faculty pay which averages $60k. He made $150k at UCLA.

Kendall Briles took over receivers when he left. Kendall is "Passing Game Coordinator". And Recruiting Coordinator.

Archived