WR coach thread

kickerman97

So, does anyone have an idea what Gus is doing that prevents him from hiring a coaching staff?

He's busy hiring a staff.

This. I am pretty sure he has been interviewing some folks (one of which, DC, turned us down) in addition to spending a lot of time recruiting before the dead period started.

wde

DC didn't just turn us down, he played us like a fiddle.

That too. We need a strong recruiter on this staff. DC fits that description, but he chose not to come home. I am not sure he will have another such opportunity so I hope he chose wisely.

wde

The way he played us to get a raise at FSU puts him in the same book as the former AU LB that shall not be named.

I agree except I hope DC is not as bad a person as that former AU LB.

wde

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.arkansasr...TCLID=204866938

biotag.png

YVCAXEYAAKJAYIM.20100707203228.jpgZoom.gif

Kris Cinkovich Position: Assistant Coach - Wide Receivers Kris Cinkovich Courtesy: Athletic Media Relations

Release: 07/07/2010

Kris Cinkovich is in his third season at Arkansas as assistant coach for wide receivers. He was named one of the top 50 recruiters in the country by 247Sports.com in February of 2012.

In the 2012 NFL Draft, Arkansas receivers tied a draft record as for the 14th time in draft history, and third time by the SEC, a school had three different wide receivers selected in the same draft. Joe Adams, Jarius Wright and Greg Childs were all drafted in the fourth round, marking the sixth time in draft history a school had three receivers picked in the first four rounds.

During the 2011 season, Cinkovich again molded the UA receivers into one of the most dominant groups in the country. Arkansas led the SEC in passing offense (300.7), total offense (438.1) and scoring offense (36.8) to become just the fifth different school to lead the conference in all three categories in a single season and the first since Florida in 2001. The Razorbacks topped the conference in passing offense for the third straight season and became the second SEC team since 1992 to lead the conference in passing offense for at least three straight seasons. Arkansas was one of two schools to place two receivers in the top 10 in the SEC in receiving yards per game and receptions per game.

Wright earned first-team All-SEC accolades after he broke the UA single-season record for receptions (66), receiving yards (1,117) and touchdown receptions (12). He topped the conference and tied for seventh in the country in receiving touchdowns and led the SEC and ranked 18th in the NCAA with his average of 93.1 receiving yards per game, making him the first Razorback in school history to lead the SEC in that category. His 5.5 receptions-per-game average ranked second in the conference. Wright also broke Arkansas' career receptions (168) and career receiving yards (2,934) records and left ranking second in school history in 100-yard receiving games (9) and receiving touchdowns (24).

Adams ranked second on Arkansas' career receptions list with 164 and fourth in school history with 2,410 receiving yards, 17 touchdowns and seven 100-yard receiving games. He finished the 2011 season fourth in the SEC with his average of 4.2 receptions per game and eighth in the conference with an average of 50.2 receiving yards per game.

In 2010 during the Razorbacks' campaign toward the school's first BCS appearance, Cinkovich's unit tied for the SEC lead with nine different games featuring a 100-yard receiver. UA was one of two schools in the conference to have four different receivers top 100 yards. Arkansas also was one of two schools in the SEC to have two receivers rank in the top 10 in the conference in receiving yards per game.

Before Arkansas, Cinkovich coached three of the top four all-time reception leaders in UNLV history. Ryan Wolfe finished his career ranked first in the UNLV record books with 283 receptions, a total that stood 12th all-time in NCAA history. Wolfe signed with the Atlanta Falcons after leaving the Rebels. Casey Flair was the second-leading receiver in school history with 202 receptions, and Earvin Johnson finished fourth with 183 receptions.

Cinkovich also assisted with a passing attack that ranked in the top 50 nationally in 2008 and 2009, accounting for 40 passing touchdowns. UNLV also led the nation in red zone production in 2008 (95 percent) and third-down efficiency in 2009 (46.39 percent).

During the 2006 season, Wolfe set several Mountain West Conference and UNLV freshman records while both Wolfe and Flair earned All-MWC honors. It was the first time since 1994 that a pair of Rebel receivers picked up all-conference accolades. Flair broke the school record for career receptions in 2007, only to be passed by Wolfe.

Cinkovich came to UNLV from Las Vegas High School, where he oversaw the Wildcats for nine seasons and built one of the state's top programs en route to compiling a record of 79-24. In 1995, he took LVHS to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years and in 2001 brought the school its first state championship since 1959.

Cinkovich's squads won three regional titles and were ranked among the best on the west coast three times by USA TODAY. He was inducted into the Southern Nevada Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2004.

Paul Petrino should get the majority of the credit for recruiting and developing those wr's imo.

Paul Petrino was at Illinois for several seasons prior to this year.

Well, I'm ready for some good news.

i am right there with you on that!

Me too. This waiting makes me wonder if somethings are in the works. As quickly as we had an OC and DC, and now everything is slowed down almost to a halt. Maybe I am just reading too much into it, but it makes me wonder if CGM doesn't have his eye on someone or multiple coaches that are currently with teams in bowl games and/or finishing out NFL seasons.

if gus has his other coaches on board but has to wait on making announcements because of the NFL or bowl games, i'd sure appreciate it if he could at least let us know that announcements were coming. just throw a few scraps our way. its Christmas time, after all.

if gus has his other coaches on board but has to wait on making announcements because of the NFL or bowl games, i'd sure appreciate it if he could at least let us know that announcements were coming. just throw a few scraps our way. its Christmas time, after all.

I would rather that he respect the future coaches' wishes, whatever they happen to be, to build trust and cohesion between them. We can wait a few more days.

I don't think that rushing an announcement hurts us that much. I would love to see Auburn in the news during the bowl games to keep the postive spin going, but recruiting is in the dead period right now anyway. Let the coaches finish out their seasons and jump on recruiting as soon as they have fulfilled their commitment to their current team. I have no inside information, but I just think if this is the case, there will still be time for these coaches to jump on board and get talking to recruits enough to pull some back before signing day.

JMO

Acronyms take away the proper respect level that people deserve. I am old school in many ways. I think texting should be outlawed in a vehicle regardless if you are driving or not. I cannot count how many times I have gotten behind some foolish person trying to do this. The government should have a device developed that is manditory in every vehicle that when the vehicle is running (moving forward), the device renders texting useless. There are way too many irresponsible people on the road who are accidents in the making that are a breathe away from causing a wreck and killing themselves along with other innocent bystanders. We are not anywhere yet intelligent enough to have this kind of technology available for any knuckle-head who ownes a car and a cell phone. Folks should have to go through 15 hours of intense training on how to responsibly use technology in vehicles. Now that this is off of my chest, we need to go back to the neighborhood party-line phone systems from the 1950s!

For some reason people seem to think that DC turned us down. But we may have turned him down because he may not fit into what Gus wants to do and by him stating that he turned us down allows him to save face at FSU and get a bump. He just may not share the same philosophy's as Gus on the offense. Just a thought

So, does anyone have an idea what Gus is doing that prevents him from hiring a coaching staff?

I believe he and the staff he has so far been out recruiting. The staff will be filled out during the dead period.

We might not announce hires for a couple of weeks still. (Not an insider) Our assistant coach targets maybe obligated to a current team through the playoffs or bowls. Also it would be good or publicity, IMO, to start announcing them a few days before the dead period ends. That way Auburn is all over the media rogt before we can call recruits again.

I'm pretty sure he turned us down.

I agree. Im not certain DC is All In

I'm working from memory, but I think DC's last season in Auburn was 15 years ago (1997?). He's not a player anymore, he's a coach and trying to move up the ranks of the coaching profession. If he thinks the best place for him to do that right now is at FSU, then I certainly don't begrudge him the opportunity to better his career. As far as I know, DC doesn't have any connections to Gus, Johnson, Lashlee, Gogue, or Jacobs.

A lot of people on here seem to think that just because a coach out there once played or coached at Auburn that they should jump at the first opportunity to "come home". Sorry, that's not how the world works. They may have absolutely loved their time at Auburn, but they aren't players anymore, they are coaches, and they have to do what's best for them with regards to being a coach.

I'm working from memory, but I think DC's last season in Auburn was 15 years ago (1997?). He's not a player anymore, he's a coach and trying to move up the ranks of the coaching profession. If he thinks the best place for him to do that right now is at FSU, then I certainly don't begrudge him the opportunity to better his career. As far as I know, DC doesn't have any connections to Gus, Johnson, Lashlee, Gogue, or Jacobs.

A lot of people on here seem to think that just because a coach out there once played or coached at Auburn that they should jump at the first opportunity to "come home". Sorry, that's not how the world works. They may have absolutely loved their time at Auburn, but they aren't players anymore, they are coaches, and they have to do what's best for them with regards to being a coach.

It's one thing to turn AU down, that's acceptable. What I don't find acceptable is the way DC, a former player, played AU like fiddle.

It's one thing to turn AU down, that's acceptable. What I don't find acceptable is the way DC, a former player, played AU like fiddle.

I don't understand this way of thinking at all.

And you're basing this on what, your discussions with DC?

Too many people on this board make too many assumptions and accept them as fact with zero evidence.

Is he? Last I heard, Gus was doing a meet-and-greet with the press in Huntsville, and Mobile before that. And recruiting? In the past week there have been decommitments and no new commits. Maybe he would be better off hiring a coaching staff. Tennessee just finished its coaching staff, and Arkansas is getting there. Gus hasn't even been able to hire a TEs coach. If getting the runaround from Dameyune Craig is all Gus has to show for the past week, does that qualify as a successful use of his time? These are fair questions. I really like the hire of Malzahn as HC, but someone seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to filling out the coaching staff.

Someone had a thread up earlier showing the timelines for hires under both CGC & now CGM. Malzahn is definitely way ahead of Chizik's schedule just to give you some perspective. Guys wasn't hired by Chizik until just before New Year's and he was the first hire. Coach Grimes, the last hire, wasn't on board until about a week or two before spring practice which also happened to be after Signing Day that year.

Is he? Last I heard, Gus was doing a meet-and-greet with the press in Huntsville, and Mobile before that. And recruiting? In the past week there have been decommitments and no new commits. Maybe he would be better off hiring a coaching staff. Tennessee just finished its coaching staff, and Arkansas is getting there. Gus hasn't even been able to hire a TEs coach. If getting the runaround from Dameyune Craig is all Gus has to show for the past week, does that qualify as a successful use of his time? These are fair questions. I really like the hire of Malzahn as HC, but someone seems to be dragging their feet when it comes to filling out the coaching staff.

Someone had a thread up earlier showing the timelines for hires under both CGC & now CGM. Malzahn is definitely way ahead of Chizik's schedule just to give you some perspective. Guys wasn't hired by Chizik until just before New Year's and he was the first hire. Coach Grimes, the last hire, wasn't on board until about a week or two before spring practice which also happened to be after Signing Day that year.

Being "way ahead of Chizik's schedule" is something, I guess. I'm not ragging on Gus. Its just that I find the past week's news blackout to be disconcerting. I'm a spoiled baby boomer-I only want good news and lots of it.

Coaching is a business, and a very profitable one at that. DC did what was best for him, and got a big raise most likely. Good for him, and we shouldn't take it so personally that he turned us down.

you can take that situation as you want but to me he joins the small group of those whose names are no longer spoken

I dont fault DC for turning us down if you are comfortable some place why move. The thing he should have to ask himself is who has a higher ceiling AU or FSU? FSU has money issues so maybe a bigger raise after this one isn't likely but at AU I think his max salary potential would have been higher jmo though.

I don't think that many coaches are going to want to make a lateral move to Auburn unless the money is right. I really wish that Malzahn would go after one or both of Okie St's WR Coach duo Kasey Dunn and Doug Meachem. Dunn has coached in multiple spread schemes including Southern Miss & Baylor.

Archived