Early Enrollees and # of signees

msg6367

Do we have any EE commits?

Right now CAM and there are 3 other mid year juco prospects on campus this weekend.

You mean Kamryn Melton? (He had a pretty good game in the AL-MS ASC today, btw, as I'm sure you've heard by now.)

E-

We disagree here and there, but when it comes to your recruiting rules, regulations etc. you are spot on, as you can be(ever changing). You are a recruiting junkie and then some,appreciate your effort and honesty when it comes to recruiting.

I second this motion.

Someone should really find out a way to make money with this kind of information. Oh wait....

They could hire our boy, E, though.

Right now CAM and there are 3 other mid year juco prospects on campus this weekend.

You mean Kamryn Melton? (He had a pretty good game in the AL-MS ASC today, btw, as I'm sure you've heard by now.)

CAM = Cameron Artis-Payne

Yeah. I meant CAP

Yeah. I meant CAP

Yeah, that's what was throwing me. CAP hasn't been on the board long enough for me to have quite the same recollection...I saw his name elsewhere and realized he must be who you were talking about, but I didn't feel like trying to find the this thread, so you get it in retrospect. :)

This was a quote from an SEC official in January...

“If a player signs, he counts without regard to whether or not he actually enrolls,” SEC spokesman Charles Bloom said in an e-mail Monday. “ ‘Back counting’ is only permitted for mid-year enrollees who are able to be included as an initial counter for the academic year in which they enroll. ‘Back counting’ is an artificial term for this discussion and not accurate as the question is about the signing limit.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com...l#storylink=cpy

Take from that what you will... but unless that was walked back, it sounds like you count regardless of enrollment as an initial counter. keep in mind this is in terms of NLIs, not scholarships. You don't have to sign an NLI to get a scholarship and by NCAA rule of 25/85 you could take more kids as long as they forgo the NLI signing and you have room under the 25 per class 85 per roster rule, in my understanding.

I am glad that is finally settled. Even though I second guessed myself today because I could not find a viable link, does it bother anyone else that i was getting these rules right more than recruiting analysts that get paid to know this stuff?...On another note this may explain why our coaches are not taking Lemond as an EE. We are recruiting at least 3 juco prospects very hard that can sign in a few days and enroll in January. Those being 5* DT Lavon Hooks, 3* OG Devonte Danzey, and 4* DE Za’Darius Smith. All three of which are visiting this weekend.

It does not explain why we didn't get Lemond Johnson as an EE. Think about it: A school can take as many EE guys as they want to. We could enroll, say, 20 guys early. Only three would count back on last year's limit and the other 17 would count against this year's crop but we could enroll them all early. PS: before you say it, I know we wouldn't have 20 slots under the 85 limit today, that was an example. We darn sure do have enough slots to enroll several JUCO guys and a few more early HS graduates.

I think we got beat by Tennessee on Lemond Johnson, pure and simple. The other option being we made a bad mistake in roster management. If those three slots aren't filled they are lost and these JUCO prospects may or may not be interested in Auburn. Either way, not a good start for this staff.

This was a quote from an SEC official in January...

“If a player signs, he counts without regard to whether or not he actually enrolls,” SEC spokesman Charles Bloom said in an e-mail Monday. “ ‘Back counting’ is only permitted for mid-year enrollees who are able to be included as an initial counter for the academic year in which they enroll. ‘Back counting’ is an artificial term for this discussion and not accurate as the question is about the signing limit.”

Read more here: http://www.macon.com...l#storylink=cpy

Take from that what you will... but unless that was walked back, it sounds like you count regardless of enrollment as an initial counter. keep in mind this is in terms of NLIs, not scholarships. You don't have to sign an NLI to get a scholarship and by NCAA rule of 25/85 you could take more kids as long as they forgo the NLI signing and you have room under the 25 per class 85 per roster rule, in my understanding.

I am glad that is finally settled. Even though I second guessed myself today because I could not find a viable link, does it bother anyone else that i was getting these rules right more than recruiting analysts that get paid to know this stuff?...On another note this may explain why our coaches are not taking Lemond as an EE. We are recruiting at least 3 juco prospects very hard that can sign in a few days and enroll in January. Those being 5* DT Lavon Hooks, 3* OG Devonte Danzey, and 4* DE Za’Darius Smith. All three of which are visiting this weekend.

It does not explain why we didn't get Lemond Johnson as an EE. Think about it: A school can take as many EE guys as they want to. We could enroll, say, 20 guys early. Only three would count back on last year's limit and the other 17 would count against this year's crop but we could enroll them all early. PS: before you say it, I know we wouldn't have 20 slots under the 85 limit today, that was an example. We darn sure do have enough slots to enroll several JUCO guys and a few more early HS graduates.

I think we got beat by Tennessee on Lemond Johnson, pure and simple. The other option being we made a bad mistake in roster management. If those three slots aren't filled they are lost and these JUCO prospects may or may not be interested in Auburn. Either way, not a good start for this staff.

I know you will not believe me but reality is we did not get beat by UT. To this point the coaches are letting him go. Why else do you think the new staff has had virtually no contact with LJ? The staff saying they can't take him as an EE is a way of letting him go. If the new staff wanted LJ he would be EEing at Auburn and they would have never told him he could not EE.

Quote: "I know you will not believe me but reality is we did not get beat by UT. To this point the coaches are letting him go. Why else do you think the new staff has had virtually no contact with LJ? The staff saying they can't take him as an EE is a way of letting him go. If the new staff wanted LJ he would be EEing at Auburn and they would have never told him he could not EE."

If that's true and we don't find three other EE guys, it's been a serious error in roster management. Lemond Johnson is a top-flight student and team leader. He has offers from a number of high quality schools including Duke, North Carolina and Vandy. Now Tennessee is glad to get him. There would be very little risk in giving such a guy a scholarship.

We'll know soon enough. If three good prospects are enrolled at AU when the next term starts in January, all well and good, If not, we've committed a very unfortunate blunder and a slot that could have been used will be lost.

Archived