Westerman gone? Merged threads.

AuburnWarVet

I wish Christian Westerman well in his football future. Just another concrete example of why its never wise to get all excited about incoming recruits. I get excited when the make plays and help Auburn win. I really dont feel Auburn has lost anything here, which is not to say he wont be a great player somewhere else..just that, obviously, the wasn't for Auburn.

I know it isn't popular but I have a hard time giving respect to someone who never contributed to the team in the least, leaving because his best friend (his position coach) isn't there anymore. IMO, it shows a complete lack of character to take your ball and go home because you don't like the coaching situation. Maybe it is just the way I was raised but once you make a commitment, you don't break it just because things aren't going the way you envisioned. You stick it out and man-up. I was under the impression that CW was raised the same way; he and his family talked like he was. Ihis character issue has been a recuring theme lately and just like with with RF, I really hope he makes the right decision and sticks with his commitment because he will not regrety it, but if he doesn't then we are almost certainly better off without him because that sort of attitude is contagious and detrimental to team cohesion. Best of luck to him, and I hope I'm wrong about his future.

WDE

And how much character are you showing by posting this on a message board???

How many people on this board have ever played one team sport? Westerman has done more for Auburn football than 90% of the people that post here.

I can't stand how people make statements based off assumptions. Unless you are his family or roommate you have no clue what is driving his decisions. Show some class, respect his decision, and wish him all the luck in the future.

And you're assuming none of us have. Not only did I play a college scholarship team sport but I was recruited to play professionally in that sport and was part of Canada's olympic selection pool in a different sport in 1984. Since then I've finished 32 triathlons (3 half-ironmans) with a professional career and family. Not saying I'm qualified to judge anybody but don't assume we're all brushing Doritos off our fat bellies here either.

I take offense to that statement canuck.. I take great pride in my ability brushing off those darn doritos

I actually BOUGHT a Doritos brush... keep it clean too. That way I can eat the ones that were on the belly later. :hellyeah:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish Christian Westerman well in his football future. Just another concrete example of why its never wise to get all excited about incoming recruits. I get excited when the make plays and help Auburn win. I really dont feel Auburn has lost anything here, which is not to say he wont be a great player somewhere else..just that, obviously, the wasn't for Auburn.

I know it isn't popular but I have a hard time giving respect to someone who never contributed to the team in the least, leaving because his best friend (his position coach) isn't there anymore. IMO, it shows a complete lack of character to take your ball and go home because you don't like the coaching situation. Maybe it is just the way I was raised but once you make a commitment, you don't break it just because things aren't going the way you envisioned. You stick it out and man-up. I was under the impression that CW was raised the same way; he and his family talked like he was. Ihis character issue has been a recuring theme lately and just like with with RF, I really hope he makes the right decision and sticks with his commitment because he will not regrety it, but if he doesn't then we are almost certainly better off without him because that sort of attitude is contagious and detrimental to team cohesion. Best of luck to him, and I hope I'm wrong about his future.

WDE

And how much character are you showing by posting this on a message board???

How many people on this board have ever played one team sport? Westerman has done more for Auburn football than 90% of the people that post here.

I can't stand how people make statements based off assumptions. Unless you are his family or roommate you have no clue what is driving his decisions. Show some class, respect his decision, and wish him all the luck in the future.

And you're assuming none of us have. Not only did I play a college scholarship team sport but I was recruited to play professionally in that sport and was part of Canada's olympic selection pool in a different sport in 1984. Since then I've finished 32 triathlons (3 half-ironmans) with a professional career and family. Not saying I'm qualified to judge anybody but don't assume we're all brushing Doritos off our fat bellies here either.

aucanucktiger,

Did I ever assume anything? I believe that I made a guess that only 10% of the people that post on this site can even begin to call people out on what they have or have not done for Auburn. I am also willing to bet that of the 10% that I am speaking of over half would have enough class not to post negative nonsense about an Auburn athlete.

Math Problem for the smart people...

If aucanucktiger is just 1 poster of the 10% that I wrote about, what percentage is he to this overall site?

Best of luck to him. I like the Kozan kid and we have depth

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Colorado kids leave. Hope not but I'm sure it depends on the OL coach. I'm sure the rumors about Miller will heat up again during the transition.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he will only have two years of eligibility to play at Arizonia State. He was a redshirt freshman this year. He will have to sit out next next year as a redshirt sophomore and he will not become eligible until his redshirt junior year. He either must be really unhappy at Auburn, or he must be very concerned about a lack of playing time

Correct. He has 2 years left.

This move just doesnt make any sense unless he is absolutely miserable or he thinks he will never play at Auburn

He must really be unhappy at Auburn. He's essentially wasted 3 years. 2 at Auburn and 1 at A. State. When healthy Westy seemed to be the most talented O Lineman on the team. Nagging injuries held him back. Culture is a lot different here than Arizona. Maybe he just didn't fit in. We'll never know except for rumors.

Cool ranch are the best kind. Or maybe fiery buffalo.....

I once ate a mixed bag of cool ranch and fiery buffalo while running a triathlon!!!

the mixed bag part is the truth

WDE

To the athletes, this is about their possible future career. An NFL contract is a lifelong dream to these guys, and it also means life changing money. They have every right to do what they feel is best for their future.

Have you ever quit one job in order to accept a better job that would advance your career?

WDE

To the athletes, this is about their possible future career. An NFL contract is a lifelong dream to these guys, and it also means life changing money. They have every right to do what they feel is best for their future.

Have you ever quit one job in order to accept a better job that would advance your career?

Of course they do but frankly, a job in the business world is not nearly as competitve as a job in the NFL. There aren't but about 1800 NFL jobs with a new crop of 300 to 400 applying every year. You gotta be a freak to be a pro athlete. Bad advice is common because of greed. Agents are looking for clients, families are longing for that life changing money you referred to and players wanting it more than anything in their lives makes them susceptible to listening to that bad advice. Appearances are deceptive and projected draft position is incredibly flimsy prospect to base a life long decision on, especially if not a guaranteed 1st or 2nd round pick. Unfortunately, I do not believe CL is a guaranteed 1st or 2nd round pick regardless how weak this years draft is. He has every right to go and if he does I hope it works out exactly as he is told it will. More times than not...it doesn't.

WDE

Of course they do but frankly, a job in the business world is not nearly as competitve as a job in the NFL. There aren't but about 1800 NFL jobs with a new crop of 300 to 400 applying every year. You gotta be a freak to be a pro athlete. Bad advice is common because of greed. Agents are looking for clients, families are longing for that life changing money you referred to and players wanting it more than anything in their lives makes them susceptible to listening to that bad advice. Appearances are deceptive and projected draft position is incredibly flimsy prospect to base a life long decision on, especially if not a guaranteed 1st or 2nd round pick. Unfortunately, I do not believe CL is a guaranteed 1st or 2nd round pick regardless how weak this years draft is. He has every right to go and if he does I hope it works out exactly as he is told it will. More times than not...it doesn't.

I agree with you about the bad advice from agents.

I want to throw some random things for people to chew on about college athletes...

A good friend of mine, and former high school teammate, made a fair share of money in the NFL despite never being named a starter. He spent 2 years on a practice squad and 2 seasons on a roster before not making a roster. He then spent 3 years playing Arena football. I have never asked how much money that he made but it is safe to say that he was compensated well for his 7 years as a pro.

It's not out of the question to make $75,000.00 a year in the CFL or Arena leagues. This may be far from the millions that an NFL starter can make but it's not chump change either.

The goal is still to play in the NFL but there is still a few more avenues to make money as a pro football player that most forget about.

We have hockey players, here in Columbus Ga, that make more money in a few months than some do working all year. Again, your not going to get rich but there is money out there to be made if we are paying hockey players in Columbus Ga.

We have not even began to talk about how many go into the coaching field after college.

WDE

I agree with you about the bad advice from agents.

I want to throw some random things for people to chew on about college athletes...

A good friend of mine, and former high school teammate, made a fair share of money in the NFL despite never being named a starter. He spent 2 years on a practice squad and 2 seasons on a roster before not making a roster. He then spent 3 years playing Arena football. I have never asked how much money that he made but it is safe to say that he was compensated well for his 7 years as a pro.

It's not out of the question to make $75,000.00 a year in the CFL or Arena leagues. This may be far from the millions that an NFL starter can make but it's not chump change either.

The goal is still to play in the NFL but there is still a few more avenues to make money as a pro football player that most forget about.

We have hockey players, here in Columbus Ga, that make more money in a few months than some do working all year. Again, your not going to get rich but there is money out there to be made if we are paying hockey players in Columbus Ga.

We have not even began to talk about how many go into the coaching field after college.

It pays to be on the practive squad.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059339/article/new-england-patriots-have-toppaid-nfl-practice-squad

WDE

I'm not saying that the kid shouldn't do what's best for him, but obviously, that isn't going to ASU. That school isn't even 3rd rate and their TV ratings, facilities, fan base, stadium, & championship potential are nothing compared to Auburn. It seems very likely that he is just home sick or upset with the coaching changes and those are not valid reasons to run off, IMO. He could be in the NFL next year if he does a good job at Auburn and if he isn't good enough to become starter then he obviously isn't good enough to get into the league. He will be sitting out next year as ASU and that is never good for long term career prospects. Like I said, I wish him the best but it's hard to respect someone who doesn't care about their commitments. I hope he makes the right decision.

WDE

WDE

I'm not saying that the kid shouldn't do what's best for him, but obviously, that isn't going to ASU. That school isn't even 3rd rate and their TV ratings, facilities, fan base, stadium, & championship potential are nothing compared to Auburn. It seems very likely that he is just home sick or upset with the coaching changes and those are not valid reasons to run off, IMO. He could be in the NFL next year if he does a good job at Auburn and if he isn't good enough to become starter then he obviously isn't good enough to get into the league. He will be sitting out next year as ASU and that is never good for long term career prospects. Like I said, I wish him the best but it's hard to respect someone who doesn't care about their commitments. I hope he makes the right decision.

WDE

I can only assume you know Mr. Westerman quite well to be making so sure of what is best for him. As far as his commitment - he made a deal to play for Auburn, get a free education while Auburn makes a ton of money. The agreement he signed also allows him to transfer, so he in fact did not break his commitment. I have no idea what he was told during his recruitment but I bet it wasn't "we will do a damn poor job of coaching and all get canned in less than 2 years." The kid wants to go back to his home state. Making life decisions based on a conferences TV ratings can't be good. Perhaps my favorite thing in the Bo 30 for 30 were the times he told Tampa Bay and the New York Yankees "no thanks, I don't need you money." Mister there are bigger things in life than the damn NFL. We have no idea what's going on in his life. Hell it could be a girl. To keep my wife I would sign with Alabama (I'm over 50, very slow and somewhat awkward, so this is really not much of a threat). Anyway H8UA, War Eagle, didn't mean to bitch.

Best of luck to Westerman no matter where he ends up. He has to make decisions based on what is best for him. I am sure the last two years at AU have been extremely disappointing for him because he had very little coaching and less guidance.

wde

you had me at aucanucktiger................................. also math was one of my 4 majors

The most impressive thing about your math major was the fact that all you had was an abacus.

you had me at aucanucktiger................................. also math was one of my 4 majors

The most impressive thing about your math major was the fact that all you had was an abacus.

Golf can only count to eleven. Don't let him fool you.

P.S. Golf is not great. In fact, his aroma is quite terrible.

I see you finally saw it...................... god it took you 2 weeks

I see you finally saw it...................... god it took you 2 weeks

:laugh: Yep, finally saw it. I called the teamsters to report your abuse of power. The guy I talked to seemed pretty ticked off. I would stay away from salad's if I were you.

no fingers

no fingers

Wow. You played golf with Arnie, and you didn't have any fingers?! You are great!

no fingers

How do you post when you have a cold? That's just nasty to think about

Archived