2013 3* JUCO OG Devonte Danzey signs with Auburn

ellitor

Keep in mind that this isn't a video game, where you can just plug guys in and expect that they will automatically play up to their attributed talents. It takes time to learn the scheme, but more importantly it takes time to develop chemistry with teammates. Fairley signed with Auburn out of high school, so he already knew and had a certain comfort level with many of the other players, and it still took him a full year at Auburn before he started showing much. Cam is a freakish athlete who got it in his head that he had to work as hard as he possibly could in order not to mess up his second chance, and he busted his tail to both learn the offense and become the leader we so desperately needed. Rudi was great, no question, but running back is probably the easiest position on the field to simply slide a new player into.

JUCO players can provide a true shot of adrenaline in the right circumstance, but building your team with them is not how you become championship caliber, especially not year in and year out. For all the success Snyder has had at K-State, he has won just two Big XII championships, and one of those was after nearly a decade of success had significantly improved the recruiting so he didn't have to rely upon JUCOs as much.

Honestly, I like the addition of a JUCO guard for depth, CAP looks to be a very good pickup to provide a bruiser in the backfield, and bringing in a JUCO LB and/or DT would likely prove beneficial, but taking that many junior college transfers is really only acceptable because of the transitional period we're going through right now. Top notch JUCOs burn out just as much as top notch high schoolers: remember Roszell Gayden and Joel Bonomolo?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoot, over the years we have sent recruits off to JUCO in hopes of getting them back after they get their academics squared away. Not all kids develop at the same rate and some learn too late in their HS careers what screwing around in class can do to their athletic opportunities.

I look at JUCOs as an opportunity to fill some unexpected gaps (Dyer gone, Westerman gone, Pike gone, etc.) and looks like Gus is doing that...and I'm happy to see some kids coming this way that might be ready to help the team right away.

I agree. In many ways a JUCO takes a lot of the guesswork out of recruiting. When you sign a JUCO you actually know how much he has already developed and performed after HS. This as opposed to making an educated guess with a HS Senior.

By my count, it was about 50-50 in Chizik's first two years as he was trying to re-stock the roster. I counted ten signees from JUCO or military school in 2009-2010.

The good/great: Cam, Fairley, OMac, D. Washington, B. Mosley

Average: Eltoro

Not so much: Bonomolo, Benton, Gayden (left school immediately), Paige (didn't qualify)

So it is still a bit of a crap-shoot. But I think it's worth a try this year since we badly need a talent infusion at some positions.

I don't think we signed any the past two years, and in hindsight we probably could have used a couple each year to make up for roster attrition.

Well, both OMac and Benton were prep schoolers, meaning they played at a prep school for a year before moving on to college rather than starting JUCO and losing two years after the clock on their 5 to play 4 starts. Benton just didn't qualify after prep school, either, so he sat out a year rather than going to JUCO.

Right Red- But if you take those two out it still turns out to be roughly a 50-50 success ratio for JUCOs under Chiz.

I think you are right that the chemistry of an incoming freshman class is important, which is part of the reason you have to choose JUCOs carefully to fit your roster.

Right Red- But if you take those two out it still turns out to be roughly a 50-50 success ratio for JUCOs under Chiz.

I think you are right that the chemistry of an incoming freshman class is important, which is part of the reason you have to choose JUCOs carefully to fit your roster.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to take away from your point, I was just pointing out the technicality. :)

Need to fix the home page link about this young man signing with us. Or maybe this really true?

I have always liked signing 2-4 JUCOs per class. Cam validated this for sure.

I have always liked signing 2-4 JUCOs per class. Cam validated this for sure.

You can like signing 2-4 JUCO players all you want, but using Cam as validation is not, well, valid. There have been Cam and O.J. Simpson. Two in forty-some years doesn't validate signing JUCO guys.

We could use an early enrolee JUCO linebacker this year, no doubt. To date, we haven't been able to land one. Due to three years of outstanding recruiting, there is plenty of raw talent at other positions, we just need some coaches to develop it.

All I know is AU needed an experienced athletic guard, lots of tackles on roster but with the graduation of Sullen and transfer of Westerman guard became thin on experience and talent. This signing provided depth of immediate need not to mention he still has 3 years to play..

I'm glad to have him, but I have no idea if he'll play next year. You probably have to assume Slade has a leg up on the competition. Diamond has already seen the field and beaten out his fellow signees once. Kozan, Leff, and Adams could all play inside. Plus Fariyike could shift out to guard if necessary. In other words, we have bodies, and no OL signee is a lock for the depth chart this year, with or without Westerman.

Out of those Kozan is the only true guard of the bunch, and Farikye could transition as well...Gus likes big athletic guards that can pull ala B Isom and Mike Berry mold....I have no idea who will start but this signee is big pickup and immediately addresses one if the needs Gus brought up,..

Out of those Kozan is the only true guard of the bunch, and Farikye could transition as well...Gus likes big athletic guards that can pull ala B Isom and Mike Berry mold....I have no idea who will start but this signee is big pickup and immediately addresses one if the needs Gus brought up,..

Well that's right and I would rather have Danzey than not have him. JUCOs are a great way to plug up holes in the roster with more physically matured players. As I said, a JUCO eliminates some of the guesswork versus a HS recruit, not all but some. You also get a player that wants to prove he belongs at the D1 level and has a sense of urgency to perform.

One of my all time favorite Jucos...no one at AU had a clue about him until this play.

One of the best TD runs I ever saw and turned a game around in a flash.

Let's hope one of our new guys can light a fire like this.

slade will be a junior. unless our new work ethic,structure,attitude really helps, this guy is much needed. slade was not very effective. not that any other lineman was.

slade will be a junior. unless our new work ethic,structure,attitude really helps, this guy is much needed. slade was not very effective. not that any other lineman was.

I agree, he just does not move well and is often late on blocks....

he and miller looked completly lost. miller, was 18 yrs old and not ready for that action anyway. he would have benefited from a RS. might still get one.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived