2013 3* JUCO OG Devonte Danzey signs with Auburn

ellitor

WDE another one for the good guys, and this one is in a position that we need some improvement from!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Justin Hokanson@JHokanson

Devonte Danzey is the first Hutchinson C.C. player to sign with Auburn since QB Chris Todd in 2008.

I am no insider, but I don't think he will be the last this season.

OK, no grass growing under Gus. I like the two O side JC pick ups. To bad we missed out by an English class on the D lineman, but

I think we have some good ones that need some coaching and motivating ( ?) . Would be nice to pick up some help @ LB.

3 years left is always good. He can take a year if he needs it.

Well, generally speaking, if a JUCO player has two years of eligibility left, that means he has three years to play two and could redshirt his first year on campus if needs be...but it's definitely always good to get JUCOs with three years of eligibility if you're going to get JUCOs.

Getting a JUCO graduate with three years of eligibility left means he's already used his redshirt year. He'll have three years to play three.

Glad to have Devonte. Glad he's an EE. War Eagle!

Getting a JUCO graduate with three years of eligibility left means he's already used his redshirt year. He'll have three years to play three.

This is accurate. Nick Fairley was a perfect example.

Merry Christmas to all...and thanks Santa for another JUCO addition to the team.

i like to see guys committing to Auburn now. JUCO guys are ready to hit the ground running. The signing of Danzey and the hiring of Coach Smith was some choice Christmas Day news. way to go,Gus. WDE

Merry Christmas to all...and thanks Santa for another JUCO addition to the team.

Guys went the JUCO route for a reason. Normally that reason was either grades, marginal ability or physical under-development at the time. While a normal JUCO guy can be a band-aide in cases of a severe shortage or the rare Cam/Fairley guy comes along, JUCO is no way to develop your team. More than two or three a year is a symptom of other problems somewhere in the system.

It's to be hoped that as Gus gets his house in order we won't be looking at the JUCO ranks any more.

We definitely need a little JUCO help this season. Guard, a big RB, and LB are three areas we obviously need some immediate help/depth. I wouldnt mind seeing us look at a DT if for no other reason than to motivate the big boys we have already.

Welcome Devonte and War Eagle!

Guys went the JUCO route for a reason. Normally that reason was either grades, marginal ability or physical under-development at the time. While a normal JUCO guy can be a band-aide in cases of a severe shortage or the rare Cam/Fairley guy comes along, JUCO is no way to develop your team. More than two or three a year is a symptom of other problems somewhere in the system.

It's to be hoped that as Gus gets his house in order we won't be looking at the JUCO ranks any more.

I agree that you can't build a roster of JUCO guys. But if there ever were an appropriate time to load up on them, it's after a 3-9 season and a coaching change.

Hopefully by next year AU can focus mostly on signing high schoolers and then focusing on their development.

Question..... What is the main reason for not wanting to sign JUCOs? Because you can't bring them up in your system from day 1 teaching them your phylosophy and learning your system? and if that is the reason, does it outweigh seeing kids after a year or two of maturity and having a better idea of what a kid can potentially bring to the table. Because in a perfect world it seems as though we want our freshmen to redshirt anyway giving them time to mature and develope.

Yet Schneider at KSU has built a winning program based on JUCOs twice now. More than two or three is not a sign of problems. Players often don't develop or get hurt. Jucos are a great way to fill in spots and in some cases, i.e. Cam, Fairley, Rudi bring instant ultimate fire power to a team. No longer looking at Jucos is one of Chizik's reasons for the quick slide-a few juco OL and a solid juco QB would have allowed the young studs a chance to develop before being thrown to the wolves. Bringing in 1-5 Jucos a year is not a bad thing, you will still have enough young players to develop for the future while filling in the gaps for the current season or two. Solid prospects don't always pan out for various reasons and jucos help replace them.

Question..... What is the main reason for not wanting to sign JUCOs? Because you can't bring them up in your system from day 1 teaching them your phylosophy and learning your system? and if that is the reason, does it outweigh seeing kids after a year or two of maturity and having a better idea of what a kid can potentially bring to the table. Because in a perfect world it seems as though we want our freshmen to redshirt anyway giving them time to mature and develope.

They can be good. More like having an energy quick drink......they work fast but then they are gone. Does not work as well with coaching a style of play long term.

you talk as if there is some stigma attached to juco players. if nothing else, juco players tend to be highly-motivated guys that don't bring a sense of entitlement.

That was why I posed the previous question. Nothing is ever guaranteed. Whether the kid comes from HS or JUCO. I don't think the majority of your team should come from JUCOs, but 2-5 a yr. can pay huge dividends. We can look back over the years and provide arguments for both sides, JUCO v HS, but as mentioned above, I don't feel as though the kids from JUCO have the plague and do not indicate your program is in desperation. As long as you have a good nucleus from which to build around, going to the JUCO ranks can be beneficial. JMO

Shoot, over the years we have sent recruits off to JUCO in hopes of getting them back after they get their academics squared away. Not all kids develop at the same rate and some learn too late in their HS careers what screwing around in class can do to their athletic opportunities.

I look at JUCOs as an opportunity to fill some unexpected gaps (Dyer gone, Westerman gone, Pike gone, etc.) and looks like Gus is doing that...and I'm happy to see some kids coming this way that might be ready to help the team right away.

Shoot, over the years we have sent recruits off to JUCO in hopes of getting them back after they get their academics squared away. Not all kids develop at the same rate and some learn too late in their HS careers what screwing around in class can do to their athletic opportunities.

I look at JUCOs as an opportunity to fill some unexpected gaps (Dyer gone, Westerman gone, Pike gone, etc.) and looks like Gus is doing that...and I'm happy to see some kids coming this way that might be ready to help the team right away.

I agree. In many ways a JUCO takes a lot of the guesswork out of recruiting. When you sign a JUCO you actually know how much he has already developed and performed after HS. This as opposed to making an educated guess with a HS Senior.

I agree. In many ways a JUCO takes a lot of the guesswork out of recruiting. When you sign a JUCO you actually know how much he has already developed and performed after HS. This as opposed to making an educated guess with a HS Senior.

By my count, it was about 50-50 in Chizik's first two years as he was trying to re-stock the roster. I counted ten signees from JUCO or military school in 2009-2010.

The good/great: Cam, Fairley, OMac, D. Washington, B. Mosley

Average: Eltoro

Not so much: Bonomolo, Benton, Gayden (left school immediately), Paige (didn't qualify)

So it is still a bit of a crap-shoot. But I think it's worth a try this year since we badly need a talent infusion at some positions.

I don't think we signed any the past two years, and in hindsight we probably could have used a couple each year to make up for roster attrition.

Archived