Jay Prosch

PigskinPat

regardless of how he is used (and he WILL be used), the kid is a beast. after his pro career is over, he needs to become a strength and conditioning coach somewhere (hopefully AU). can you imagine?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

imagine seeing this guy catching a pass on a wheel route. Verne would be all "OH MY GOODNESS"

Can you imagine the CB trying to come up and tackle him? The guy might vaporize.

The CB won't have to tackle him on a wheel route. By the time Prosch could get that deep and the ball get there, the CB and safety will both be all in the middle of the situation and will either intercept the ball or knock it away.

Ronnie Brown ran wheel routes. O-Mac ran wheel routes. Guys that lumber along don't run wheel routes. Prosch will help with blocking on some plays. He'll serve as a sort of third offensive guard out there when we need one. He may even get to score some on goal-line situations. He won't be running pass routes 20 yards downfield and we won't be seeing much of him on third and long.

Lutz and Eric smith ran wheel routes. While Ronnie brown was more productive in terms of number of wheel routes, they can be run on occasion with someone like Prosch. His main objective will still be blocking

I think Gus will maximize what Jay can do. SL and Chiz should be beat for not using that guy more last year. Alright maybe not beat, just not "retained". Oh wait..

Yeah no one sees fullbacks running wheels coming so they are usually wide open. Fannin had a couple of wide open wheel routes in Gus's scheme both when he was the primary and secondary back in the game.

The best part of Gus's scheme is that he gets players wide open. That's how he gets players with less than stellar passing skills big numbers.

Is Jay staying for his senior year?

It wouldn't surprise me if Jay entered the draft. Gus just doesn't use a fullback because QB is never under center. If CGM is smart and I think he is, he will utilize the Juggernaut especially in short yardage. When you have the best fullback in SEC if not NCAA you better use him. Ten times better with JP up the gut than Dyer in Wildcat.

Jay Prosch would be a valuable asset in CGM's offense. Not to mention, we need that kinda blue collar, hard worker to lead our team next season.

I agree with you, VT. I bet Gus gets the best out of Prosch.

I will make a bold prediction. Gus will utilize JP a lot better than Loeffler did. I know, I know, I'm going out on a limb here but still.

Wow IM70, such a BOLD prediction. You reckon he might use the shotgun formation at some point? I mean, since we're talking unthinkable moves and all? :P

Hmmm, that is a slim possibility. But quite frankly, I am seeing more of the re-emergence of the AU Wishbone of the 80's.

Still say he turns pro, no need to for him to learn another offense in college, he can start learning and earning in the NFL. Draft stock for fullbacks are low anyway and the main reason for him transferring to Auburn is sadly no longer with us.

I think the point that poster was making was that the offense will be built around Prosch next year like it was built around Fannin in 2009. Just like it was built around Cam in 2010. They weren't saying they would share the same role.

We're building our spread-offense around a pure blocking FB?

Seriously? Thats an even more asinine statement.

Your optimisim is infectious.......

Gus just doesn't use a fullback because QB is never under center.

The quarterback does not have to be under center to use a fullback.

Prosch was not a traditional power-running fullback at Illinois. He was a blocking back. He had one reception his freshman year and one carry his sophomore year (on a fake punt, not as a traditional fullback). http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/prosch_jay00.html

Eric Smith was recruited to Auburn as a Fullback. http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Eric-Smith-51917

Eric Smith was listed at Auburn as a Running Back (not a TE or H-Back). http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_eric00.html

As discussed in this thread, Malzahn used the heck out of Smith in 2009.

Smith was effectively used as an H-Back (aka, primarily a blocking back, with occasional pass receptions) in Malzahn's offense. This was the role Lutz dominated in 2010.

Eric Smith was not tall, but he was big, listed at 240 lbs on his 5'10" frame. Lutz (6'6") is taller than Prosch (6'0"), but they have similar weights (~260 lbs).

Simply put, Malzahn's offense DOES use FBs (and TEs), but he uses them both as H-Backs. Prosch should fit into this scheme easily if he can handle the amount of lateral movement required. Lutz really excelled at this. My gut feel is Prosch would handle it well.

i would like to see JP around the program this next year ... regardless of how much he plays ... it seems his work ethic and presense would be valuble as an influence in the locker room.

Amen. HE has the "right stuff" and is an AUBURN MAN ! ! !

Gus just doesn't use a fullback because QB is never under center.

The quarterback does not have to be under center to use a fullback.

Prosch was not a traditional power-running fullback at Illinois. He was a blocking back. He had one reception his freshman year and one carry his sophomore year (on a fake punt, not as a traditional fullback). http://www.fightingi...osch_jay00.html

Eric Smith was recruited to Auburn as a Fullback. http://rivals.yahoo....ric-Smith-51917

Eric Smith was listed at Auburn as a Running Back (not a TE or H-Back). http://www.auburntig...ith_eric00.html

As discussed in this thread, Malzahn used the heck out of Smith in 2009.

Smith was effectively used as an H-Back (aka, primarily a blocking back, with occasional pass receptions) in Malzahn's offense. This was the role Lutz dominated in 2010.

Eric Smith was not tall, but he was big, listed at 240 lbs on his 5'10" frame. Lutz (6'6") is taller than Prosch (6'0"), but they have similar weights (~260 lbs).

Simply put, Malzahn's offense DOES use FBs (and TEs), but he uses them both as H-Backs. Prosch should fit into this scheme easily if he can handle the amount of lateral movement required. Lutz really excelled at this. My gut feel is Prosch would handle it well.

Thank you! People have selective memories and forget Eric Smith

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, Jay was also a VERY WELL ACCOMPLISHED linebacker in his senior year of high school. over 150 tackles, and he LOVES to hit. if we are still looking for a couple of BIG LBs, with a nose for the ball, there are possibilities for Jay on both sides of the ball. Don't sell this kid short!

Jay will be nice to have for some short yardage packages and pass protection. He can be a good situational player. The fact so many folks want to argue that he is a complete back just shows how far this board's IQ has fallen.

I am lookimg forward to seeing some balls thrown his way. Not sure if he can catch the ball, but we will find out.

He caught passes last year.

I am lookimg forward to seeing some balls thrown his way. Not sure if he can catch the ball, but we will find out.

Yes, he caught passes and did it well last year. Not many, but they were effective. His first TD was a catch.

Prosch stats from last year:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/37/1032116/receiving/gamelog.html

Yes, he can run and catch.. Seems like i posted once that I would like to see him get the ball some and all I heard was "he can only block... Get a real line in front of him and somebody is going to get their bell rung when they meet him in the open field whith the new OL that is going to be built with men instead of boys after spring.... Just wait

Waiting for that Freight-Train to come alive...

He had more catches than I remembered. Hopefully this staff will use him better. I thought he was underutilized last season, in the running and passing game.

They are afraid to throw him the ball because he may squeeze it too hard to catch it and have it explode in his hand. It's a safety thing.

Archived