Jay Prosch

PigskinPat

Guys, guys, guys. I seldom agree with Metafour, but you are trying to make Prosch into something he isn't capable of being. He got in on less than 30% of the snaps last year, which is what I predicted before the season started and got poo-pooed for.

The guy is big, strong, slow and easy to love. He has a limited role due to his limited capabilities. Blake Burgess has graduated, so when we need an extra offensive guard out there, Prosch will do the job and do it well. He may even try a short yardage run or catch a short pass four or five times next season, just to keep 'em guessing.

Prosch cannot do what Eric Smith or Mario Fannin were capable of doing, he simply isn't fast enough. I predict he'll see the field about the same as he did last year, which was less than 1/3 of the snaps. Will he help us win games? Yes. Will he be a key, go-to player in clutch situations? Not even close, unless we need two yards or less.

I thought he ran a 4.6 40yrd? Was ES faster than that? Maybe I'm just not remembering it but I cannot think of ES getting the ball more than 4-5 times while he was here. What does our offense require that he isn't fast enough to perform? I am not an xs and os guy but I'm trying to learn.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, guys, guys. I seldom agree with Metafour, but you are trying to make Prosch into something he isn't capable of being. He got in on less than 30% of the snaps last year, which is what I predicted before the season started and got poo-pooed for.

The guy is big, strong, slow and easy to love. He has a limited role due to his limited capabilities. Blake Burgess has graduated, so when we need an extra offensive guard out there, Prosch will do the job and do it well. He may even try a short yardage run or catch a short pass four or five times next season, just to keep 'em guessing.

Prosch cannot do what Eric Smith or Mario Fannin were capable of doing, he simply isn't fast enough. I predict he'll see the field about the same as he did last year, which was less than 1/3 of the snaps. Will he help us win games? Yes. Will he be a key, go-to player in clutch situations? Not even close, unless we need two yards or less.

I seldom disagree with you but I think Jay can do as good as ES did with everything with the exception of quickness after the catch and punching people on the field.

The same way he utilized Eric Smith.

Watch some 2010 footage and watch Eric smith. Eric's blocking was phenomenal. I expect JP's to be as well. Only difference is Eric was smaller and could slip around the edge of the d-line undetected, not sure big ole' jay can pull that off.

In 2010 Eric Smith was the most important player that no one talks much about. You picked the right word - phenomenal.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Eric Smith ran a 4.7 at AU's pro day. So he wasn't as fast as some of you are remembering- he was just a good all-around ball player. I don't see any reason why Prosch couldn't fill that same role. He may not have as soft hands as Smith, but seems to be able to catch an occasional pass and certainly can block downfield. Smith was around 240, so just a little smaller than Jay.

You're absolutely correct with this post ES and MF were 5-11 225ish and fast. MF had 76 touches in 09 and 78 in 2010. ES had 38 in 09 and 6 in 2010(doghouse?)

Two words: Mike Alstott.

Feed Jay the rock and let him eat.

Not so far fetched in my opinion. Jay could be utilized in motion to block, the option read, direct hand off or screens. He is a load and I would love to see him get 8-10 carries/catches a game.

I wish he had come to AU to start with. It may have worked out better for him and any future he may have (NFL, Coaching, S&C Coach etc.) by getting his name on the AA lists, it can propel his career.

Is Jay staying for his senior year?

\

Why wouldn't he a4e?

If Jay had come to Auburn first he probably would not have developed the physique he has now. There has not been an emphasis on bulking up like Jay has done.

I personally think Gus will work the crap out of Jay in the off-season to work on his agility and hands.

Is Jay staying for his senior year?

\

Why wouldn't he a4e?

If Jay had come to Auburn first he probably would not have developed the physique he has now. There has not been an emphasis on bulking up like Jay has done.

Jay graduated from my high school; he was enormous when he graduated.

Jay Prosch would be a valuable asset in CGM's offense. Not to mention, we need that kinda blue collar, hard worker to lead our team next season.

Jay Prosch would be a valuable asset in CGM's offense. Not to mention, we need that kinda blue collar, hard worker to lead our team next season.

I agree with you, VT. I bet Gus gets the best out of Prosch.

Prosch = H-back

blocking, catching passes sometimes (as prosche has shown he can do)

Well now, I do think you read my mind Sir. ;)

From my previous post, " Well let's see, JP can block like a battering ram, run like a bull and catch a pass like a TE. I wonder where Gus will use him in his system ? Hmmm, this is puzzling, I must ponder. :-\"

I will make a bold prediction. Gus will utilize JP a lot better than Loeffler did. I know, I know, I'm going out on a limb here but still.

I will make a bold prediction. Gus will utilize JP a lot better than Loeffler did. I know, I know, I'm going out on a limb here but still.

:P

imagine seeing this guy catching a pass on a wheel route. Verne would be all "OH MY GOODNESS"

Can you imagine the CB trying to come up and tackle him? The guy might vaporize.

I can dig it! WDE!

imagine seeing this guy catching a pass on a wheel route. Verne would be all "OH MY GOODNESS"

And Jay will be like "BAM, Take That!" and the CB will be all like "Ouch that hurt!" . Then Verne will say "My Goodness." and Jay will say " Take that!"

Like that?

:popcorn:

Wow IM70, such a BOLD prediction. You reckon he might use the shotgun formation at some point? I mean, since we're talking unthinkable moves and all? :P

Jay Prosch never carried the ball and only caught one or two passes at Illinois. He was an All-American because of his blocking.

Eric Smith and Philip Lutzenkirchen operated similarly in CGM's offense. Prosch is a natural fit to server in the Fullback / H-Back role in CGM's offense.

If Prosch chooses to go pro, it is his choice. But he would have a bigger role in CGM's offense in 2013 than he had in CSL's offense in 2012. Just sayin'.

Archived