Jay Prosch

PigskinPat

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JDozer is gonna be awesome in any Offense we adopt.Hes just a football player

I agree. He is just a talented, physical football player. Any offense can find a place for a guy like Jay. Would love to see him run on some short yardage plays and catch some balls out of the backfield. But if nothing else, he can be an excellent pass and power run blocker.

Eric was a great blocker and paved the way for many a long run. He got alot of Play time. Prosh should fill in nicely in this role. What say you?

definitely utilized as a blocker to free up the TE for routes. Probably see some passes to him in the flats once the WRs clear everyone out, and maybe a wheel route to catch someone off guard.

I am sure Gus will work him not some personnel packages. Prosch is such a strong lead back that I wouldn't be surprised to see some I-formation sets.

1 >> One of the main things everyone has said about Gus is - he adapts to the players on the roster.

+

1 >> Gus likes to RUN the ball first. The RUNNING game is a priority. Everyone knows that.

=

2 >> Gus will be able to use Prosch very effectively!

The same way he utilized Eric Smith.

Watch some 2010 footage and watch Eric smith. Eric's blocking was phenomenal. I expect JP's to be as well. Only difference is Eric was smaller and could slip around the edge of the d-line undetected, not sure big ole' jay can pull that off.

Freight-Train doesn't need to sneak around.. He plows em over and keeps movin.. Yes, hard to hide a freight-train when he is plowing through the front line and leaves bodies lying all over the field...... all-aboard!

Ya I actually think you will see him more. Go back and watch the 2009 and 2010 games. Eric Smith was on the field a ton. What a lot of ppl fail to understand is we are still running a power offense. It is just fast paced. What will be interesting to see is if he gets any chances to catch the ball out of the backfield. Gus loves to do lots of different things with that FB/H-back position

Googled this. The article is from 09 but we did what it describes. It also describes a number of other scemes. This is pretty good evidence Prosh will be utilized.

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/06/gus-malzahnauburn-tigers-run-game.html

Power

The "power" run is another that has ancient, "power football" roots but has been adapted to the spread. And it, again, is very simple: the line essentially "down" blocks, meaning they block the men over them or to their inside, and will use teamwork to combination block the defensive linemen until one releases to hit the linebackers. The exception is the defensive end or other outside, on the line of scrimmage defender. (Aptly referred to as the EMLOS -- "end man on the line of scrimmage.") The fullback -- or H-back, or someone -- plows at him to kick him out, thus opening a crease.

The crease becomes a hole, however, because the backside guard pulls and "leads" into it to block the linebacker, or other first threatening defender. In this way the blocking works much as it does on "counter," but with more of a frontside attack. Below is a diagram of how an NFL team runs the play; it is in every NFL team's playbook. (Click on the diagram to make it larger.)

power-pro.GIF

And below is a common look Malzahn ran "power" from while at Tulsa, using the "pistol" (short shotgun with the runningback directly behind the quarterback) and a cross between an H-back and a fullback. See below.

auburnpower.GIF

This will be a common set for Auburn. Malzahn likes lining up with three wide receivers, but then also likes the versatility of the H-back/tight-end/fullback type as a blocker in a variety of directions. Again, compare his straight ahead blocking on "power" with his about face to the opposite side on "counter." (And with the pistol set the runningback could go either direction.)

I loved every touchdown he produced. Still can't figure why we didn't use him more. Replay some of the games last year and watch him block players no where near the ball. He was CONSTANTLY looking for someone to block. He was absolutely one of the best players on the team last year. He didn't give up. I liked ES but Prosch will excell under CM and be better that Eric ever was.

Guys, guys, guys. I seldom agree with Metafour, but you are trying to make Prosch into something he isn't capable of being. He got in on less than 30% of the snaps last year, which is what I predicted before the season started and got poo-pooed for.

The guy is big, strong, slow and easy to love. He has a limited role due to his limited capabilities. Blake Burgess has graduated, so when we need an extra offensive guard out there, Prosch will do the job and do it well. He may even try a short yardage run or catch a short pass four or five times next season, just to keep 'em guessing.

Prosch cannot do what Eric Smith or Mario Fannin were capable of doing, he simply isn't fast enough. I predict he'll see the field about the same as he did last year, which was less than 1/3 of the snaps. Will he help us win games? Yes. Will he be a key, go-to player in clutch situations? Not even close, unless we need two yards or less.

Archived