Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

FWIW... a trusted source with close ties to current and former trustees and other power brokers says winds are shifting to Petrino... This source is not a Petrino fan and has been very reluctant to speculate up until now.

I personally think it is a crap shoot with Petrino. Great if he is changed, but why must Auburn be the proving grounds for SEC Redemption Island? Smacks of desperation. If it happens, the administration would be foolish to (1) offer big money and (2) grant a long term contract.

If it happens, you might want to break ties with your Bama friends, because the laughing and ridicule will be nonstop... at least until he manages to beat them on the field.

Laughing and ridicule from Bammers for hiring Petrino? Is it possible for them to laugh any harder about our season and current state of affairs than they already are? If anything, I think the laughing stops if BP comes on board and reality hits them.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Successful coaches are always in demand. I'm not afraid of success. I'm not afraid of being a runner.

Hire a loser that no one wants as their coach? No thanks. We just fired a loser that no one wants.

Do you thing UAT is afraid that Saban might leave? Wasn't that the rap on him? Yet he has ZERO buyout if he leaves because they aren't afraid to be successful.

Excellent point.

No actually I would argue that you're giving them way too much credit. The level of desperation they were experiencing when they were trying to replace Shula was unprecedented in the history of Alabama football. They were so desperate they would do anything they had to to get Saban and they let him write his own ticket.They gave him total control of everything which was unprecedented as well. It wasn't about being unafraid to succeed, they were petrified that they might fail!

Let's go Peterson or Paterson.....

Rather feel good about winning even if it isn't as often...

It will definitely last longer then with Bobby Boy... He is just one pass away from another Harley...

FWIW... a trusted source with close ties to current and former trustees and other power brokers says winds are shifting to Petrino... This source is not a Petrino fan and has been very reluctant to speculate up until now.

I personally think it is a crap shoot with Petrino. Great if he is changed, but why must Auburn be the proving grounds for SEC Redemption Island? Smacks of desperation. If it happens, the administration would be foolish to (1) offer big money and (2) grant a long term contract.

If it happens, you might want to break ties with your Bama friends, because the laughing and ridicule will be nonstop... at least until he manages to beat them on the field.

Laughing and ridicule from Bammers for hiring Petrino? Is it possible for them to laugh any harder about our season and current state of affairs than they already are? If anything, I think the laughing stops if BP comes on board and reality hits them.

Maybe, but this will give them renewed impetus and create a whole new catalog of Auburn jokes. Of course Bama has already hired -- and fired -- their Petrino. He is now coaching at UTEP. I do know one thing. If Petrino is hired, I am going to buy all the neck braces my 401K can purchase and sell them to opposing fans in the parking lot of the Torch 85 on game day. I will make a mint. ;)

I can handle the jokes and the ridicule when I know it isn't justified... and it rarely is. But this will be richly deserved.

Im amazed that Auburn fans are actually concerned about bamrs reaction to an Auburn coaching hire. Good grief folks! Why care?...theres no way I could possibly care less what they think about Auburn, Auburns coaches or anything else thats really none of their damn business.

Maybe, but this will give them renewed impetus and create a whole new catalog of Auburn jokes. Of course Bama has already hired -- and fired -- their Petrino. He is now coaching at UTEP. I do know one thing. If Petrino is hired, I am going to buy all the neck braces my 401K can purchase and sell them to opposing fans in the parking lot of the Torch 85 on game day. I will make a mint. ;)/>

I can handle the jokes and the ridicule when I know it isn't justified... and it rarely is. But this will be richly deserved.

Petrino reputation is solid... Richly earned and deserved... Several times... Just amazing that we are having this discussion...

He has NOT beaten SABAN even....

Can't wait till this is over....

Is it just me, or are there others who feel like Petrino is just garbage wrapped in skin?

You are no better. And neither am I.

I disagree......but I am no saint either. Just win, baby!

Cam Newton stole a laptop and had a shady past prior to coming to Auburn. Anyone regret getting him?

I don't see les miles going to Arkansas, but if he did, watch out...LSU would have much less of a morals struggle with hiring petrino as we are. Mark my words, if petrino was down there at LSU, it's all over. Can you imagine petrino pulling all those Texas QBs in, it would be a heisman factory. Louisiana is loaded with talent that stays instate.

This is all unlikely, but this is the true doomsday scenario. I know a lot of you don't like petrino, but petrino in purple and gold is terrifying.

Im amazed that Auburn fans are actually concerned about bamrs reaction to an Auburn coaching hire. Good grief folks! Why care?...theres no way I could possibly care less what they think about Auburn, Auburns coaches or anything else thats really none of their damn business.

Does it truly matter in the grand scheme of things? No. It's not going to matter a bit in paying my mortgage or the disposition of my soul. But then we do put a lot of stock in beating Alabama each year, right? If you don't care what "Bammers" say, then it shouldn't matter much losing the Iron Bowl. I don't participate in smack talk, but I do get tired of hearing it in line at the grocery store, at church and at work.

I don't see les miles going to Arkansas, but if he did, watch out...LSU would have much less of a morals struggle with hiring petrino as we are. Mark my words, if petrino was down there at LSU, it's all over. Can you imagine petrino pulling all those Texas QBs in, it would be a heisman factory. Louisiana is loaded with talent that stays instate.

This is all unlikely, but this is the true doomsday scenario. I know a lot of you don't like petrino, but petrino in purple and gold is terrifying.

Agreed. That is a very scary scenario.

^^^

AMEN about the smack talk.I hear more about how great bama is doing at church by some folks than they talk about Jesus.

I enjoy AU football,but it I guess it doesnt mean as much to me as it once did.I used to live and die with every game,but I got over that.

^^^

AMEN about the smack talk.I hear more about how great bama is doing at church by some folks than they talk about Jesus.

I enjoy AU football,but it I guess it doesnt mean as much to me as it once did.I used to live and die with every game,but I got over that.

Johnny, by chance, did you play at AU in the 60's?

^^^

^^^

No sir.

^^^

^^^

No sir.

Just checking. We have a family friend named Johnny McDonald that played at AU in the late 60's.

Successful coaches are always in demand. I'm not afraid of success. I'm not afraid of being a runner.

Hire a loser that no one wants as their coach? No thanks. We just fired a loser that no one wants.

Do you thing UAT is afraid that Saban might leave? Wasn't that the rap on him? Yet he has ZERO buyout if he leaves because they aren't afraid to be successful.

IMO

It's not they are afraid ..they would love the buyout. But he ain't signing it....so it's make him sign it or he bounces....they choose to get out if his way....

My guess is Paul for oc. Dc is a good question. Hopefully Ellis Johnson or BVG. I think he might bring back Kevin Greene and joe Whitt jr. I also think trooper stays.

Joe Whitt Jr for DC is being mentioned.

is he a quality dc candidate? I know he was mentioned heavily in December and I did not know his qualifications then that got everyone jazzed. Of course he is his dads son and that says something

My guess is Paul for oc. Dc is a good question. Hopefully Ellis Johnson or BVG. I think he might bring back Kevin Greene and joe Whitt jr. I also think trooper stays.

I like Ellis J. for DC. :Sing:

an anecdote from a player on the 2002 team when BP was our OC:

Played offense. All you need to know about Petrino is at one spring practice the offense and defense got into what resembled an old school wwf royal rumble. While this is completely normal when guys are competing for starting spots, what is not normal is for coaches to get involved. Petrino and Joe Whitt, Sr had to be separated by players bc they were inches from one anothers face using language and threats that ive never heard. After that we knew Petrino was legit bc Whitt might be the only coach ive ever been physically afraid of. Aside from the passion, it is very obvious that Petrino knows his stuff when it comes to offense. We would run plays over and over in practice until it was absolutely perfect. Ive never felt more ready for a game than when he was our coach- complete and total preparation. On top of that he is a real hardazz that will make you a better player if you have talent. He will not accept anything less. This could be a real asset to our current roster bc i do think there is talent there.

As for Petrino personally, i was shocked and disappojnted to hear of his transgressions. Tuberville had a very family friendly environment around the complex and Petrinos family was right there with the rest of the staffs every day. He really seemed to be a good family man so that was disappointing to see. As i have said, the risk is worth the reward in this situation bc Petrino is an intelligent guy and knows this could very well be his last chance.

Archived