Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've said many times, you interview him. You talk to him, to his wife, to those around him and have had opportunity to observe and talk to him. If you do your homework and you're satisfied that he has accepted full responsibility for his past and has taken firm steps to avoid such problems in the future, you hire him. Unless Bob Stoops or Jim Harbaugh come walking through that door looking for an offer, you hire him.

As I've said many times, you interview him. You talk to him, to his wife, to those around him and have had opportunity to observe and talk to him. If you do your homework and you're satisfied that he has accepted full responsibility for his past and has taken firm steps to avoid such problems in the future, you hire him. Unless Bob Stoops or Jim Harbaugh come walking through that door looking for an offer, you hire him.

I agree TitanTiger. We can still maintain a moral high ground by offering forgiveness and redemption to a truly contrite soul.

I agree with this 100 percent. Like him or not, the man is a game changer. And he's not a candidate in Knoxville, still

shocked KY Jelly didnt hire him. People have short memories, if he picks up Auburn recruiting and hires the right

DC for a change pretty soon nobody will care what he did at Arkansas.

I really believe that if we get Petrino, he will retire here as long as he wins and doesn't run afoul of the NCAA. Auburn is not a stepping stone job, it's a destination job.

I could go with this if I thought this is the process that AU PTB would actually go through before hiring BP.

wde

I think most of the discussion has missed the point. Either you believe integrity is an important qualification for the job, or you do not.

If you DO believe integrity is an important qualification then you have to ask yourself about each candidate: has this candidate - at this point in time - demonstrated this important qualification in their personal and professional life?

As far as this applies to Bob Petrino -at this point in time- I do not see how this question could be answered affirmatively.

It has nothing to do with being forgiving / unforgiving, offering 2nd chances, with thinking he is the worst human being ever, or that he did something no-one else has ever done. It is simply a question of what you believe the qualifications for the job are and whether or not any particular candidate - Petrino in this instance - meet those qualifications.

I do think integrity is an important qualification for the most visible employee representing Auburn University, and b/c of that I cannot support BP for this opening. I really do wish him the best... hope he and his wife work everything out, and hope he goes on to demonstrate that he is more than the sum of his mistakes and the rest of his life is a testament to integrity and redemption. That does not and will not change the fact that right now, at this moment, he is unqualified to be the head coach at Auburn as a result of this failure to demonstrate one of the important qualifications for the job.

I'm not reading this whole thread so forgive me if this has already been posted but this is my 2 cents. College football is a game played by 17-23 year olds. The job of a college football coach is to win games and run a clean program. Petrino has a proven track at schools without the advantages that Auburn has of doing those 2 things. I would be thrilled to have Petrino as HC at Auburn.

My bottom line as it applies to Petrino in the narrow context of his professional life, will he stay the course when the waters get rough or will he jump on the first life boat like he did in Atlanta? Invariably, there are tough times in college football and there will be times where, despite your best efforts, your mettle and your commitment will be tested. Will he stay at Auburn and live through the criticism when he can't beat Bama the first time or two out of the gate or will he jump ship for the next school or team waving money at him?

If I were a betting man then I would bet that Petrino is named the coach Saturday and CBVG and TT will stay.

This

I will take that bet. I have Sunday.

Not that it matters to some but....

Cass Sheridan@cass_sheridan

Petrino met with Mike Slive (SEC Commish) and apparently Slive was impressed. Word is that Slive is fine with an SEC school hiring BP.

23 confirmed that meeting did happen and slive was impressed.

So, ya think in that interview BP is going to do or say anything but the politically correct expected answers? Listen, Im not a Petrino devotee but the guy is not stupid. He'll say and do all the right things and if he and his wife have reconciled then she's going to be completely supportive too because she wants her husband to be making $milions again ASAP! Im not sure who you're referring to when suggesting you interview those around him..like who? he's not working now. You want to interview his drinking buddies or the guys in his foursome? All that sounds good but none of it really holds water! History is the only guide I would need and that part is not BP's friend. Be a student of history or be doomed to repeat it.

So, ya think in that interview BP is going to do or say anything but the politically correct expected answers? Listen, Im not a Petrino devotee but the guy is not stupid. He'll say and do all the right things and if he and his wife have reconciled then she's going to be completely supportive too because she wants her husband to be making $milions again ASAP! Im not sure who you're referring to when suggesting you interview those around him..like who? he's not working now. You want to interview his drinking buddies or the guys in his foursome? All that sounds good but none of it really holds water! History is the only guide I would need and that part is not BP's friend. Be a student of history or be doomed to repeat it.

I actually have a BS in history, so I guess that makes me a student of history? That phrase is horrible. I've never heard a professor use it without a sarcastic tone.

We have been doing that. I'm sorry, I know you don't agree with it but it looks like we are finally going to hire a winner. It's about time IMHO.

I actually have a BS in history, so I guess that makes me a student of history? That phrase is horrible. I've never heard a professor use it without a sarcastic tone.

It is cliche but it makes sense. Its hard for people to change who they are. The guy has demonstrated a propensity to be a selfish POS who is all about BP 1st foremost and everthing else is a secondary consideration. I dont personally care how your history professors used the exprression, it has a lot of merit when used in the context of record of personal conduct. This is the reason corporations dont usually hire folks with criminal records. Im not saying BP is a criminal but clearly he has a past that is not his friend and that matters whether you like the phrase or not!

Everyone needs to get behind Petrino. He is a great coach and will lead us back to where we belong. I bet everyone on this board would take Bill Bellichick as next coach and he had a similar problems as Petrino. BB cheated on his wife with a married woman which led to a divorce. If every coach had their dirty laundry aired let's just say it would be jaw dropping. Petrino might not have been a saint in the past, but the guy loves Auburn and will bring us back to excellence. He is a hard nosed disciplinarian that we need right now. We all know what a great coach he is! Also believe me when I tell you Bobby has learned from past mistakes. Slive has met with Bobby as my buddy ellitor said and Slive was very impressed.

Everyone needs to get behind Petrino. He is a great coach and will lead us back to where we belong. I bet everyone on this board would take Bill Bellichick as next coach and he had a similar problems as Petrino. BB cheated on his wife with a married woman which led to a divorce. If every coach had their dirty laundry aired let's just say it would be jaw dropping. Petrino might not have been a saint in the past, but the guy loves Auburn and will bring us back to excellence. He is a hard nosed disciplinarian that we need right now. We all know what a great coach he is! Also believe me when I tell you Bobby has learned from past mistakes. Slive has met with Bobby as my buddy ellitor said and Slive was very impressed.

So, is it a done deal that it is Bobby Petrino?

"The guy loves Auburn"...really? How do you know how he feels about Auburn? I bet he'd tell you he loves Auburn right now, dont you? Its not that often that jobs paying $2-$3mil a year have vacancies so conveniently fitted to one's career needs. I would agree that if Mike Slive interviewed BP and came away with a positive impression that matters. The thing that keeps occurring to me, however, is that Slive wont be paying him. We need our search committee to have those same impressions IMO. Its clear Im not a BP fan but, if Auburn hires him I'll support him.

So, is it a done deal that it is Bobby Petrino?

No

"The guy loves Auburn"...really? How do you know how he feels about Auburn? I bet he'd tell you he loves Auburn right now, dont you? Its not that often that jobs paying $2-$3mil a year have vacancies so conveniently fitted to one's career needs. I would agree that if Mike Slive interviewed BP and came away with a positive impression that matters. The thing that keeps occurring to me, however, is that Slive wont be paying him. We need our search committee to have those same impressions IMO. Its clear Im not a BP fan but, if Auburn hires him I'll support him.

The thing that keeps occurring to me is that we will have a top 5 coach. That and you implying you are a better judge of character than Mike Slive. About a man you've never met. That occurred to me too.

Archived