Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

So if we hire Petrino and he loses, do we just tear down the stadium and cancel football. You guys make it sound like he is the only coach on the planet who could win football games at Auburn. If he fails, then we're DOOMED!!!!

I think what people are deducing is that he is the best fit of the mentioned candidates. I wouldn't suggest that we are doomed if he fails, as you put it.

No doubt...but he has a lot of baggage that causes people to second guess him as HC, now there are alsi issues with his coaching as well as his recruiting efforts....

No. There isn't. When I was talking about posters completely fabricating facts out of whole cloth this is what I meant.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we hire Petrino and he loses, do we just tear down the stadium and cancel football. You guys make it sound like he is the only coach on the planet who could win football games at Auburn. If he fails, then we're DOOMED!!!!

I think what people are deducing is that he is the best fit of the mentioned candidates. I wouldn't suggest that we are doomed if he fails, as you put it.

No doubt...but he has a lot of baggage that causes people to second guess him as HC, now there are alsi issues with his coaching as well as his recruiting efforts....

No. There isn't. When I was talking about posters completely fabricating facts out of whole cloth this is what I meant.

Ok....are his teams physical? What if any effort will he put towards defense? How about stopping the run? BP is an offensive mastermind, if he applies that same effort on defense, especially with his level of detail I think he would have won an SEC title by now. Maybe he was moving in that direction maybe not.....in the SEC you have to run the ball when needed and stop it when you have to...the last 5 SEC champions excelled in this area, nothing fabricated about that. His teams did neither consistently at Arkansas...especially in his biggest games.

If choice is Petrino how long does Auburn wait to announce it? Unless he just now being offer the job and will have wait till paperwork is done?

Because its not Petrino

You were badgering linsider for a link earlier, so how about giving us one?

Lol...your man crush for Petrino is insane, look if it was Petrino, why delay it? He is not working.....IMO if it was him he would have been named coach already that's why I believe it's not him, i stil like Petrino as a coach, just don't think it will be universal choice among the decision makers....

Chizik hasn't been gone 24 hours. Surely you aren't that naive.

And Petrino has been unemployed all season....if he is unequivocally your guy why not just fly him on in now...what's the hold up?

And Petrino has been unemployed all season....if he is unequivocally your guy why not just fly him on in now...what's the hold up?

Respect for Chizik, writing a contract, negotiating with lawyers, putting up a front that they gave others fair interviews, etc.

Ok....are his teams physical? What if any effort will he put towards defense? How about stopping the run? BP is an offensive mastermind, if he applies that same effort on defense, especially with his level of detail I think he would have won an SEC title by now. Maybe he was moving in that direction maybe not.....in the SEC you have to run the ball when needed and stop it when you have to...the last 5 SEC champions excelled in this area, nothing fabricated about that. His teams did neither consistently at Arkansas...especially in his biggest games.

Actually Petrino had a strong run game. I know the forward pass still scares some. It you can do both. The man had a consistent top 10 in 3 years while basically starting from nothing. Just out of curiosity, since I've seen you poo poo most other names tossed around, who would be your choice.

He had 1000 yd rushers in 2002, 2005, 2008 and 2010. Before coaching at ark, as hc, oc or both he had 70 rushers go over 100 yds, 41 passers throw over 300. So you see, he actually depends on a very strong rushing game. You should also be seeing that you have been completely inaccurate in everything you have posted in this thread.

Petrino runs a very balanced attack, though he tailors his approach to the talent he has on hand (at Auburn in 2002 he was 65/35 tilted toward the run for instance), and his defenses got better every year he was at Louisville and Arkansas respectively.

“Petrino is the best quarterbacks coach in the game.” The Sporting News, Jan. 28, 2008

PETRINO PHILOSOPHY

(Quotes from Bobby Petrino during the Dec. 11, 2007, press conference)

OFFENSE “Off ensively, we want to be very aggressive. What I like to

do fi rst is establish the fact that everybody expects to score every

single time they take the fi eld on off ense. That is the expectation. I

believe in a balanced attack. I do believe you have to be able to run the

football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe

you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw

the football when you have to. When you can do both, then you can

defi nitely be the aggressor and that’s what I want.”

DEFENSE “Defensively, we’re going to concentrate, fi rst and foremost,

on the sound principles of defense—being able to shed blocks,

run full speed to the ball, tackle well and create turnovers. We want to

be able to do that above and beyond scheme and be tremendously

sound in scheme. In saying that, in defense, I believe it’s very important

to stop the run, number one, and hit the quarterback, number

two.”

SPECIAL TEAMS “Special teams wise, we want to base everything

on speed. Our ability to be aggressive speed wise, be able to cover, get

down the fi eld and be great in our return game (is our goal). We will

work tremendously hard on all three phases and then be aggressive in

all three phases.”

Because there are equal opportunity employment laws and such that have to be legally followed. I'm not sure how someone could not know that.

Petrino runs a very balanced attack, though he tailors his approach to the talent he has on hand (at Auburn in 2002 he was 65/35 tilted toward the run for instance), and his defenses got better every year he was at Louisville and Arkansas respectively.

In addition to the run heavy 2002 team, Auburn off ense led SEC in passing eff iciency and third down conversions

In addition to the run heavy 2002 team, Auburn off ense led SEC in passing eff iciency and third down conversions

That's the hallmark of a Petrino team, 3rd down conversions and passing efficiency. Every team he has coached excels in those two categories.

That's the hallmark of a Petrino team, 3rd down conversions and passing efficiency. Every team he has coached excels in those two categories.

I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone can question his coaching skills. Maybe if they'd put their Bibles down long enough to research it they could see what we see?

Because there are equal opportunity employment laws and such that have to be legally followed. I'm not sure how someone could not know that.

Great come back...Yes!

FYI, just had a Co-worker tell me that a plane landed in Auburn with BP, this guy has no inside scoop but he heard it through some media source.

Has anyone else heard this?

I am still trying to get in touch with him to confirm where he heard it, I am assuming either 97.3 or 94.5 in Bham.

FYI, just had a Co-worker tell me that a plane landed in Auburn with BP, this guy has no inside scoop but he heard it through some media source.

I am still trying to get in touch with him to confirm where he heard it, I am assuming either 97.3 or 94.5 in Bham.

He just told me he heard it on 97.3 The Sports Czars

Not sure these guys even know what the H@!! they spew out of their mouths, Nevermind

Reasons why BP hasn't been named yet..

1. The AD just came out and said he hasn't started the search

2. The search committee was just formed yesterday

Now, both of those statements are bogus, but that is what has been portrayed to the public. A few days at least are needed to at least give the perception that the committee did its due diligence.

And I firmly believe that the search committee is there for one purpose, to soften the blow of a Petrino hire. It will be digested much more easily with Auburn icons agreeing that BP is the right candidate.

Now, both of those statements are bogus, but that is what has been portrayed to the public. A few days at least are needed to at least give the perception that the committee did its due diligence.

And I firmly believe that the search committee is there for one purpose, to soften the blow of a Petrino hire. It will be digested much more easily with Auburn icons agreeing that BP is the right candidate.

I completely agree with every statement in this post. When I heard Bo and Pat were on the committee, I thought they were there to say "we've had lengthy conversations with coach Petrino and he is a changed man." I mean, Pat Sullivan is coaching a football team, and he is in poor health. I doubt he will be flying around the country interviewing coaches.

Bottom line: Petrino is a terrific college football coach. He wins without putting programs on probation. He will win at Auburn with teams that are exciting to watch. Does the coach at Auburn really need to be a boy scout? As long a Nick Saban is in the SEC, the biggest jacka_ _ in the conference will always be in Tuscaloosa.

If AU cannot land a Jeff Fisher or Sean Payton, then Petrino should be the #1 choice. If he's not, then the AU administration are idiots.

Petrino is easily the best coach available. Everyone knows it and pretty much everyone admits it. He has won everywhere he's been. He was hired directly from college to be a NFL head coach (very few can ever say that). He has SEC coordinator and HC experience. He has won 11 games at both college HC jobs. The list goes on. Go get him. Malzahn should be on the C-list.

We have just as good a chance to hire Bill Belichik as Sean Payton or Jeff Fisher.

Not sure these guys even know what the H@!! they spew out of their mouths, Nevermind

Yep, the Sports idiots are the same guys who quoted "The Capstone Report" as a legit news source on Auburn.

I completely agree with every statement in this post. When I heard Bo and Pat were on the committee, I thought they were there to say "we've had lengthy conversations with coach Petrino and he is a changed man." I mean, Pat Sullivan is coaching a football team, and he is in poor health. I doubt he will be flying around the country interviewing coaches.

I agree.I believe Pat Sullivan is specifically on the SC for one thing.Its because he is considered by every AU person to be a great AU man with a great sense of right and wrong.And Sullivan will give his stamp of approval for CPB,thus easing peoples concerns about CBP.

I would be ok with a CBP hire and he will do great,he and Jeff Fisher are my 1a and 1b choices

I hope youre right but I dont read that much into it though. I do believe the search committee is intended to add credibility to what they expect to be unpopular/controversial pick and while also providing a scapegoat if that pick fails. Much like a "blue ribbon committee" in DC. Unfortunately, the next hire will likely be unpopular/controversial among large segments of the Auburn fanbase regardless so that doesnt narrow the field much. Though that would indicate to me that its not likely to be an NFL HC. You wouldnt need an a blueribbon panel endorsement if thats what you intent to do.

Archived