Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

Petrino is the best, most proven hc that we can realisticially get and yet people don't want him. He is probably one of the 5 best coaches in cfb, period. Heck, after what I witnessed tonight, I'd hire his kitty cat, mr. Sweetwiggles.

Absolutely. Well said. And the thing that baffles me is why would someone not want him? "He would leave in the middle of the night". If he did, our program would be a helluva lot better than it is right now and we'd have some wins over teams that we aren't competitive with now. "It would hurt Auburn's reputation". Auburn's reputation, like it or not, is a school that needs to go buy another quarterback. Read Espn and yahoo if you want to know Auburn's rep. I'm all for hurting it. "He's a liar and won't be able to recruit". He never had top 20 classes a Arkansas and hung 40 on us every year. "He can't beat Saban". Neither can anyone except Les Miles. Do you want him? Am I forgetting any?

We could wake up this time next week with a top 5 coach. I have no idea why people are opposed to that.

I don't think he'd leave in the middle of the night. Cripes he's wanted to get here since 2003. I don't give a rip about reputation. I care about winning period.

Scandals like this change people and affect their ability to succeed professionally moving forward. He's no longer a slam dunk. At this point he's high risk high reward. It could absolutely play out the way you think it will but there is high risk that it won't, risk we don't need to take.

You think Petrino is riskier than Briles or Franklin?

Yes.

If we hired any of the 4 guys you named, I can see them sucking. They may not, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me. I've never seen Petrino not be successful. I don't see a scandal changing his coaching ability.

You've never seen Petrino rebuild a program carrying the kind of baggage he's toting around these days.

No but I've seen him coach bcs bowls at Arkansas and Louisville. I don't think this scandal will affect his play calling. If he is that good while juggling all his women, imagine if he focused...

?? Who brought up his play calling? I have already answered as to my opinion on this. The effect would be on recruiting, explained a coupla/3 pages back.

Nothing is absolute about how this would play out.

If he is hired I hope he is as successful as you are sure he will be.

He's never been successful recruiting. He's never been successful defensively. He's always been successful winning games. How would a scandal change that?

I would not say he has been unsuccessful recruiting, he has always had an elite QB and receivers. However IMO to win championships he has to become more in line with recruiting like a Saban or Chizik for that matter....

The Brohms and Mallett aren't very elite. Elite qbs play on Sundays. Tyler Wilson looked elite last year, mediocre this year. Which is my point. HE MAKES MEDIOCRE PLAYERS ELITE. That's what great coaches do. Look at how awful his teams have looked the year he left. They struggle to go .500. He makes that much of a difference. That's why he should be Auburn's next coach. He would win 8 at Auburn next year.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petrino is the best, most proven hc that we can realisticially get and yet people don't want him. He is probably one of the 5 best coaches in cfb, period. Heck, after what I witnessed tonight, I'd hire his kitty cat, mr. Sweetwiggles.

Absolutely. Well said. And the thing that baffles me is why would someone not want him? "He would leave in the middle of the night". If he did, our program would be a helluva lot better than it is right now and we'd have some wins over teams that we aren't competitive with now. "It would hurt Auburn's reputation". Auburn's reputation, like it or not, is a school that needs to go buy another quarterback. Read Espn and yahoo if you want to know Auburn's rep. I'm all for hurting it. "He's a liar and won't be able to recruit". He never had top 20 classes a Arkansas and hung 40 on us every year. "He can't beat Saban". Neither can anyone except Les Miles. Do you want him? Am I forgetting any?

We could wake up this time next week with a top 5 coach. I have no idea why people are opposed to that.

I don't think he'd leave in the middle of the night. Cripes he's wanted to get here since 2003. I don't give a rip about reputation. I care about winning period.

Scandals like this change people and affect their ability to succeed professionally moving forward. He's no longer a slam dunk. At this point he's high risk high reward. It could absolutely play out the way you think it will but there is high risk that it won't, risk we don't need to take.

You think Petrino is riskier than Briles or Franklin?

Yes.

If we hired any of the 4 guys you named, I can see them sucking. They may not, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me. I've never seen Petrino not be successful. I don't see a scandal changing his coaching ability.

You've never seen Petrino rebuild a program carrying the kind of baggage he's toting around these days.

No but I've seen him coach bcs bowls at Arkansas and Louisville. I don't think this scandal will affect his play calling. If he is that good while juggling all his women, imagine if he focused...

?? Who brought up his play calling? I have already answered as to my opinion on this. The effect would be on recruiting, explained a coupla/3 pages back.

Nothing is absolute about how this would play out.

If he is hired I hope he is as successful as you are sure he will be.

He's never been successful recruiting. He's never been successful defensively. He's always been successful winning games. How would a scandal change that?

I would not say he has been unsuccessful recruiting, he has always had an elite QB and receivers. However IMO to win championships he has to become more in line with recruiting like a Saban or Chizik for that matter....

The Brohms and Mallett aren't very elite. Elite qbs play on Sundays. Tyler Wilson looked elite last year, mediocre this year. Which is my point. HE MAKES MEDIOCRE PLAYERS ELITE. That's what great coaches do. Look at how awful his teams have looked the year he left. They struggle to go .500. He makes that much of a difference. That's why he should be Auburn's next coach. He would win 8 at Auburn next year.

I Strongly agree with this message

Since all of the coaching threads are generally guesswork, I thought I would pose a different Petrino question....if the "situation" did not happen and he was still the head coach at Arkansas---would Auburn be pursuing him as a replacement for Chizik? would he be interested?

No, because he was contractually banned from going to an sec school. They called it "the auburn clause" in fayetteville. Other than that I'd bet we'd want him. They were a top 10 team before his firing. They had TWO heisman candidates before he got fired: Tyler Wilson and Knile Davis. They got really average really quick. Dude can coach.

Edit: I misspoke. He was barred from taking a job in the sec west.

Since all of the coaching threads are generally guesswork, I thought I would pose a different Petrino question....if the "situation" did not happen and he was still the head coach at Arkansas---would Auburn be pursuing him as a replacement for Chizik? would he be interested?

Yes and yes

No, because he was contractually banned from going to an sec school. They called it "the auburn clause" in fayetteville. Other than that I'd bet we'd want him. They were a top 10 team before his firing. They had TWO heisman candidates before he got fired: Tyler Wilson and Knile Davis. They got really average really quick. Dude can coach.

Edit: I misspoke. He was barred from taking a job in the sec west.

Nevermind I didn't know that

Yes and yes

NO and NO. I think Arkansas would be running smoothly and he would neither be interested in rebuilding another program and auburn would know it.

Don't judge the man because he sins differently than you.

Hire Bobby Petrino.

A lot of us are not judging anyone. We are refusing to be ok with hiring someone who screwed the last school he was at. Why can't people understand that?

How did he screw Arkansas? He took them to the sugar bowl. I'd bet plenty that Jeff Long knew about his affair with Dorrell when he hired her but didn't care because he's a great coach. If you want a coach that has screwed over a school look at Auburn's coaches since Dye. Arkansas fans should be eternally grateful he coached there, because he gave them something they'll probably never have again. A top 10 program. I bet everyone in Fayetteville would take him back right now.

He lied to his bosses and shamed the program by his lies. If his boss knew, he deserves to be fired to. There are plenty of people who wouldn't take him back.

New to the board but I've been active on Scout for years.

IMO, Petrino is the #1 coach that AU can realistically land. No one else even comes close. Not that it means much, but I talked to a bammer today during the IB and he said "Petrino is the best coach available, without a doubt." They know it and everyone else in America knows it. If AU doesn't snatch him now, someone else (probably in the SEC) will.

He is probably one of the top 3 or 4 offensive minds in the college game, if not at the top. He runs a very strict program, has never had NCAA issues anywhere, and his players respect and FEAR him. People want to equate his personal life to his coaching but the two are totally separate. If you think Petrino is the first man in his position to ever "run around" I've got a bridge to sell you. Most of them simply don't get caught. Pat Dye had demons that make Petrino's pale in comparison, but there was no Internet back then...

Pretty much all the coaches in America will tell you he is one of the best there is on offense. Tom Coughlin of the Jacksonville Jags said Petrino is "the best play caller I've ever seen." That means a lot coming from an NFL head coach. Petrino is a hoss, would strike fear into the players, and would put a surge into the program that it desperately needs. AU needs discipline and REAL coaching. Petrino offers both. Best of all, he is sitting by the phone.

AU needs to do now what they failed to do in 2003. That's the bottom line. Sure, ESPN and F-bomb will give us hell for a couple weeks, but after Petrino starts winning, all of that will go away into the night. Personally, I don't give a crap what ANYONE else thinks. AU needs to do what is best for AU. They need a maniacal control freak (a la Saban) to come in and take charge and clean this mess up. No one (that is realistic) can do it better than Petrino.

BTW, John L. Smith has admitted publicly that Arkansas is bad this year because Petrino is no longer calling plays. Yes, he makes that much difference! People at Louisville have said the same thing.

New to the board but I've been active on Scout for years.

IMO, Petrino is the #1 coach that AU can realistically land. No one else even comes close. Not that it means much, but I talked to a bammer today during the IB and he said "Petrino is the best coach available, without a doubt." They know it and everyone else in America knows it. If AU doesn't snatch him now, someone else (probably in the SEC) will.

He is probably one of the top 3 or 4 offensive minds in the college game, if not at the top. He runs a very strict program, has never had NCAA issues anywhere, and his players respect and FEAR him. People want to equate his personal life to his coaching but the two are totally separate. If you think Petrino is the first man in his position to ever "run around" I've got a bridge to sell you. Most of them simply don't get caught. Pat Dye had demons that make Petrino's pale in comparison, but there was no Internet back then...

Pretty much all the coaches in America will tell you he is one of the best there is on offense. Tom Coughlin of the Jacksonville Jags said Petrino is "the best play caller I've ever seen." That means a lot coming from an NFL head coach. Petrino is a hoss, would strike fear into the players, and would put a surge into the program that it desperately needs. AU needs discipline and REAL coaching. Petrino offers both. Best of all, he is sitting by the phone.

AU needs to do now what they failed to do in 2003. That's the bottom line. Sure, ESPN and F-bomb will give us hell for a couple weeks, but after Petrino starts winning, all of that will go away into the night. Personally, I don't give a crap what ANYONE else thinks. AU needs to do what is best for AU. They need a maniacal control freak (a la Saban) to come in and take charge and clean this mess up. No one (that is realistic) can do it better than Petrino.

Well said. From what I'm hearing, it looks we'll get our wish...fingers crossed.

Two months ago I was strongly against Petrino as coach when I thought there might be better options out there. Living in Atlanta also means I'd never hear the end of it.... so much bashing on local sports radio. You know what? I don't care anymore and would not be angry if AU goes after him.

In April 2012, Petrino was involved in a motorcycle crash while sliding off Highway 16 near Crosses. He was riding along with former Arkansas All-SEC volleyball player Jessica Dorrell, whom he had hired on March 28, 2012 as the student-athlete development coordinator for the football program after serving as a fundraiser in the Razorback Foundation. Petrino initially said he was alone. However, on April 6, just minutes before a police report was to be released showing Dorrell was also aboard, Petrino revealed that Dorrell was not only a passenger, but that he had been conducting an adulterous relationship with her. Athletic director Jeff Long placed Petrino on an indefinite paid leave of absence while he reviewed the situation.

On April 10, Long announced that Petrino had been fired. During Long's investigation, it was discovered that Petrino made a previously undisclosed $20,000 cash gift to Dorrell. It was also revealed that Dorrell may have received preferential treatment in her hiring to the football staff, as Petrino's relationship with Dorrell was not disclosed and Petrino was on the hiring committee...This is what all of you want at Auburn..dont forget the Falcons mess up as well

From what I've gathered, Bobby could be announced as HC as early as Monday or Tuesday.

I still do not see Gogue pulling the trigger on him FWIW.

Is Auburn so desperate they don't care long as he wins I hope not sure he set puppies on fire and had his way with out daughter but we going to send little Jimmy to Auburn anyway cause he a good football coach and wil teach my little jimmy behavior skills he will need in NFL......

Is Auburn so desperate they don't care long as he wins I hope not sure he set puppies on fire and had his way with out daughter but we going to send little Jimmy to Auburn anyway cause he a good football coach and wil teach my little jimmy behavior skills he will need in NFL......

Huh? And the most grammatically terrible post goes to.....

Archived