If Chiz is fired Monday?

auburnpride99

A coaching change now will split the players worse than most of us can imagine.

Highly doubtful. Since Chiz has been a big problem it may bring them together.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on campus for a game the day that Bowden quit/was fired or whatever.....and Bill Oliver took over. The team was devistated and Bill Oliver did the best he could ...but not matter what players think about Chiz, I hope folks are not so naive as to believe that the team will automatically start playing better. Someone has to be in charge and much as the players like Brother Oliver, the season was a disaster after Bowden left.

JMO, but after the TAMU meltdown, no matter what happens (or doesn't happen) this season is done. A coaching change now will split the players worse than most of us can imagine.

I don't think Chizik gets fired until the end of the season, but there is no way a coaching change now will make this team worse than it is at the moment. Besides a few individuals, the team isn't buying into any of the coaches on the sidelines right now. There is no fight left. I wish there was.

You are probably correct but I do think something drastic in an offense change right now might make a diff. Most to those guys seemed to be working hard the entire game...once Wallace was running the O.

There are about 85 kids on that squad...you can't convice me that they all dislike Chiz...he helped recruit them not that long ago and I bet there are enough of them who think he's a great guy, to break up any semblance of "team" spirit, especially if some of them blame team mates for getting Chiz fired.

it's not about playing anymore this year. it's about keeping some of the good players around for next year. No matter what, players are gonna leave if CGC is fired, now or the end of the year. What may happen is, more will leave if he is let go now.

I say we just let the Fathers of the players take control of the team for the rest of the season.

Heck, Jeff Blake and DJ Maseo could run the offense and Parkey's Dad could run the special teams. We just need someone to take over the D.

Just think. They couldn't possibly do any worse, and they'd have absolutely no pressure on them to perform. :)

Haha. You forget Trent Fisher is our safety. I'd take Jeff as our DC.

Trooper can't develop talent....the only player he has had developed from start to finish is Blake who was a 4 start recruit out of high school and he is a great guy and all but is at best a 4th rd draft pick.

Who developed Blake? His father, a former NFL qb or trooper??? You figure that one out.

I was on campus for a game the day that Bowden quit/was fired or whatever.....and Bill Oliver took over. The team was devistated and Bill Oliver did the best he could ...but not matter what players think about Chiz, I hope folks are not so naive as to believe that the team will automatically start playing better. Someone has to be in charge and much as the players like Brother Oliver, the season was a disaster after Bowden left.

JMO, but after the TAMU meltdown, no matter what happens (or doesn't happen) this season is done. A coaching change now will split the players worse than most of us can imagine.

But the stage has to be set: chizik fired, so that the hc search can proceed in earnest. We can't name a hc of the future while chizik is in limbo. If not recruiting will be adversely effected.

Unless Coach Chiz decides to walk away, I don't think we'll have the need for an "interim" anything. It doesn't really make any sense to me to fire him at this point in a totally lost season- I think it would hurt more than help actually. He's pretty much gone in a couple of weeks anyways in my opinion, let the process play out.

Unless Coach Chiz decides to walk away, I don't think we'll have the need for an "interim" anything. It doesn't really make any sense to me to fire him at this point in a totally lost season- I think it would hurt more than help actually. He's pretty much gone in a couple of weeks anyways in my opinion, let the process play out.

Probably right.

There are about 85 kids on that squad...you can't convice me that they all dislike Chiz

Not what I was implying at all.

I am on the Gus Bus.

I don't see you. Stand up and turn around. I'm in the back dancing in the aisle to mc hammer's "u can't touch this."

Yep, the perfect person to rebuild our program after an inexperienced Head Coach destroyed it is.....an inexperienced Head Coach. Forget about getting a guy that we know can do it because he has done it before at this level, lets take a chance and let the new guy learn on the job. That usually works out.

I am on the Gus Bus.

I don't see you. Stand up and turn around. I'm in the back dancing in the aisle to mc hammer's "u can't touch this."

Yep, the perfect person to rebuild our program after an inexperienced Head Coach destroyed it is.....an inexperienced Head Coach. Forget about getting a guy that we know can do it because he has done it before at this level, lets take a chance and let the new guy learn on the job. That usually works out.

um, slight difference in that chiz can't even coach a defense vs. the best O coordinator in the land at many different schools.

I am on the Gus Bus.

um, slight difference in that chiz can't even coach a defense vs. the best O coordinator in the land at many different schools.

Chizik was a pretty succesfull DC. There are plenty of people that would argue the coordinating credentials of both men. But the point is that a good Coordinator does not necessarily make a good Head Coach. Gus may be a great HC, but at this point in his career, it would just be a guess. We've done too much guessing recently. We need someone with a proven track record in the job we're hiring them for.

I am on the Gus Bus.

Chizik was a pretty succesfull DC. There are plenty of people that would argue the coordinating credentials of both men. But the point is that a good Coordinator does not necessarily make a good Head Coach. Gus may be a great HC, but at this point in his career, it would just be a guess. We've done too much guessing recently. We need someone with a proven track record in the job we're hiring them for.

I agree we need a proven winner. Still, if we take a chance on an up and comer, I am all gus, or WIllie Taggart or maybe even Kirby Smart.

I am on the Gus Bus.

I agree we need a proven winner. Still, if we take a chance on an up and comer, I am all gus, or WIllie Taggart or maybe even Kirby Smart.

Fair enough.

The point being that Chizik was considered a great defensive coordinator prior to his first two performances as head coach. No one questioned his ability to coach defense here from 2002-2004. His performance at Iowa State and Auburn have certainly cemented the belief that he is incompetent as a head coach. In short, he should be a career coordinator. Not everyone has the right stuff.

Malzahn is certainly doing better than Chizik in his head coach debut. In fact, he's already matched Chizik's Iowa State two season win total, and he's not even through with season one. However, he is still unproven. I have faith in the man though. I have more faith in Malzahn than I ever did in Chizik. It's in his blood. That said, many would be a little uneasy about turning Auburn over to him after he's only had one year in the head coach gig. I understand that reservation, and share it to at least some extent.

"A proven head coach" is a somewhat mythical term. Spurrier isn't at USCe what he was at Florida. Franchione wasn't at aTm what he was at UAT. RichRod didn't pan out at Michigan either, after major success at WVU.

After seeing the offensive ineptitude of Chizik and Tuberville's habit of easing up on the accelerator, I want to see a talented offensive minded head coach, with a firm control of the program, preferably a coach who runs a spread/wide open offense that attracts playmakers. Whether it is someone who coaches like Malzahn, Petrino, Holgerson, Sumlin, etc, that is the style of football that I believe our current roster can play and play well. With the proper coaching of our defensive depth, this should not prevent us from running an attacking style of defense.

I say make Taylor the interim. If he does poorly, then we obviously are justified in not keeping him at the end of the year. If he does well, then maybe we keep him. Things can't get any worse at this point. What do we have to lose?

How about this. Charlie Strong as heach coach. WIllie Taggart as OC and Tracy Rocker as DC. We then would need a proven QB coach. What about the guy at Stanford or Southern Cal.

Archived