question about mr kf.............

aubiefifty

I think it has been said by Keihl himself that he has a problem with focusing on the rush rather than keeping his eyes down field. I see this as one of his biggest problems this year. If he is concentrating on the rush and not keeping his eyes down field, he will never be successful as a QB. This also explains the woes in our passing game this year. A majority of his passes have been hurried, overthrown or INT's. Does the blame for this lie in the porous OL? Maybe, maybe not. The OL definitely needs improvement but it doesn't matter what kind of scheme we are in, Keihl has got to learn to keep his eyes down field, go thru his progressions and when there is no other option, tuck the ball and run. Thus far, he has not done this and I think that is in large part the reason why we have struggled so much on offense this year.

I think it has been said by Keihl himself that he has a problem with focusing on the rush rather than keeping his eyes down field. I see this as one of his biggest problems this year. If he is concentrating on the rush and not keeping his eyes down field, he will never be successful as a QB. This also explains the woes in our passing game this year. A majority of his passes have been hurried, overthrown or INT's. Does the blame for this lie in the porous OL? Maybe, maybe not. The OL definitely needs improvement but it doesn't matter what kind of scheme we are in, Keihl has got to learn to keep his eyes down field, go thru his progressions and when there is no other option, tuck the ball and run. Thus far, he has not done this and I think that is in large part the reason why we have struggled so much on offense this year.

A bright light shinning in the darkness. And just for giggles: How might a QB overcome such fundamental problems with the position? Yes kiddies that is correct, Experience.

To your question, should we have designed and run a system around the skill set of our starting QB this year ? Well yah, we should. It doesn't even have to be in a spread either. As I have said many times, KF has all the skill set of a very good option roll out QB. Why we would want to take his legs away from him and try to make him a drop back pocket passer ? Couple that with a porous OL that has given up 23 sacks and you have the worst of all combinations. One of the advantages of a roll out passer is that it moves the pocket away from the pressure. The second is that it forces the defense to defend both the pass and the run when he is out there. There are about 4 QBs in the SEC alone that are thriving as option QBs and KF is a better athlete than any of them.

Point taken.

A bright light shinning in the darkness. And just for giggles: How might a QB overcome such fundamental problems with the position? Yes kiddies that is correct, Experience.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or mocking me but I should probably also mention that it is possible that one of the reasons he has had such a problem with this is that since the read option is such a big part of a spread offense, its likely he has been conditioned to focus on the rush to execute the read. If so, I imagine that's a hard habit to break.

I would like to know who the 4 QBs that are not as good as KF that are doing well in the SEC. That sentence does not make sense.

I would like to know who the 4 QBs that are not as good as KF that are doing well in the SEC. That sentence does not make sense.

They are playing as roll out option QB's and KF is being forced into a drop back passer role. Key on the hi-lited word.

" There are about 4 QBs in the SEC alone that are thriving as option QBs and KF is a better athlete than any of them."

You are correct and it is too late to change the whole offense. I would like to see them run the ball with Mason and OMAC, then put Frazier in the shotgun and call some plays for him to roll out of the pocket...call some designed QB draw plays and zone read plays off of play action fakes (sounds too simple doesn't it?). Malzahn never intended to bring him to Auburn to be a pocket passer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer and take a red shirt year and play 2 years under Malzahn or someone who can utilize his strengths. I don't wish that on him, but he is not doing what he came to Auburn to do.

If he wants to flourish instead of flounder, he should transfer to play under Malzahn. I would hate to see him go, but I would hate it much more if he ruined his career and potential by staying in this offensive nightmare.

You are correct and it is too late to change the whole offense. I would like to see them run the ball with Mason and OMAC, then put Frazier in the shotgun and call some plays for him to roll out of the pocket...call some designed QB draw plays and zone read plays off of play action fakes (sounds too simple doesn't it?). Malzahn never intended to bring him to Auburn to be a pocket passer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer and take a red shirt year and play 2 years under Malzahn or someone who can utilize his strengths. I don't wish that on him, but he is not doing what he came to Auburn to do.

If he wants to flourish instead of flounder, he should transfer to play under Malzahn. I would hate to see him go, but I would hate it much more if he ruined his career and potential by staying in this offensive nightmare.

Both good posts and if something doesn't change between now and the off season, I think that is exactly what we will see Weegs.

Archived