question about mr kf.............

aubiefifty

best i remember he was the highest rated qb coming out of high school. his game was/is the spread so why not go back to what this kid knows and give him a chance running the spread? i am no expert so be nice folks. i am now afraid we might have ruined this young mans confidence and thus his career.

You are correct and it is too late to change the whole offense. I would like to see them run the ball with Mason and OMAC, then put Frazier in the shotgun and call some plays for him to roll out of the pocket...call some designed QB draw plays and zone read plays off of play action fakes (sounds too simple doesn't it?). Malzahn never intended to bring him to Auburn to be a pocket passer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer and take a red shirt year and play 2 years under Malzahn or someone who can utilize his strengths. I don't wish that on him, but he is not doing what he came to Auburn to do.

I don't think KF is going anywhere. I believe he is trying to shake off an injury so he can get back in there and compete. I still think he is the best QB on the roster and we desperately need him available to play.

There is no doubt this Offense doesn't play to KF's strengths. I just don't understand what the staff is thinking on this whole fiasco. Round peg in a square hole syndrome.

I'm not to worried about his confidence. Sure he didnt exactly have the coming out party we expected or he hoped for but I believe he is smart and mature enough to know that you have to keep pushing. I look at Keihl and think of Jason Campbell. Jason haf so many opportunities to just give up and accept his fate as a QB who would never do big things but he never gave up and when the time came for him to be big in 04 he was awesome. Of course Borges found out what works for him and built the offense around him and Caddy Brown haha. Keihl is gonna be ok and the more support hr gets the better he will do kind of like Jason.

Pigeon holing KF in the pocket and taking away his ability to run in play calling schemes makes as much sense as trying to make Dan Marino a running QB. Yet that is exactly what the Auburn "brain" trust did. He could be one of the best roll out option QBs in college football.

I don't think KF is going anywhere. I believe he is trying to shake off an injury so he can get back in there and compete. I still think he is the best QB on the roster and we desperately need him available to play.

I agree, but I wouldnt be surprised if he changed his mind. I have no idea if he is otherwise loving Auburn as a school or not...I hope he stays here. But if he is injured, and he does get back on the field, I would like to see the coaches give him some opportunities to do the things I mentioned above. I really expected more out of him this season, and I don't blame him for some of the bad things that have happened when he was in at QB.

Pigeon holing KF in the pocket and taking away his ability to run makes as much sense as trying to make Dan Marino a running QB. Yet that is exactly what the Auburn "brain" trust did. He could be one of the best roll out option QBs in college football.

Ding, ding, ding!!! You nailed it big guy. I'm so disappointed in this offense.

If I remember correctly, KF hasn't done too well on roll-out plays. He runs slowly a lot of the time and would make inaccurate passes to the TE.

If I remember correctly, KF hasn't done too well on roll-out plays. He runs slowly a lot of the time and would make inaccurate passes to the TE.

I remember those particular plays and those would have been perfect QB option run plays. But because they have tried to drill being a pocket passer in to him, they want him to try to make that pass, so he tried to arch a short pass over a defender. In the mindset of an option QB he would fake that pass and take off.

You might say, well why didn't he run it anyway ? When you have a different scheme drilled in to you it will change your split second instincts. An option QB practices that read over and over but it goes against every thing a pocket passer is taught. That is why you will see a pocket passer scramble and be wide open for a 10 yard run but instead throw a 5 yard pass to a WR or RB.

This is all Eugene's fault. It was his idea to recruit to one system for four classes and then do a 180. 100% of the blame rests squarely on him. KF was not, is not, and never will be a drop back kinda guy. Let the kid be who he is

I remember those particular plays and those would have been perfect QB option run plays. But because they have tried to drill being a pocket passer in to him, they want him to try to make that pass so he tried to arch a short pass over a defender. In the mindset of an option QB he would fake that pass and take off.

You might say, well why didn't he run it anyway ? When you have a different scheme drilled in to you it will change your split second instincts. An option QB practices that read over and over but it goes against every thing a pocket passer is taught. That is why you will see a pocket passer scramble and be wide open for a 10 yard run but instead throw a 5 yard pass to a WR or RB.

Good response, Ironman.

This is all Eugene's fault. It was his idea to recruit to one system for four classes and then do a 180. 100% of the blame rests squarely on him. KF was not, is not, and never will be a drop back kinda guy. Let the kid be who he is

Kiehl just needs to wait for our next HC, and see what type offense he will run.

^^Agreed. I have not given up on Frazier. He just needs the right system and coaches in place.

You still have to make throws in the spread. He can't do that. He also doesn't like to run, he said something along those lines last year.

There are many tired, thoughtless, inaccurate fallacies being perpetuated this season, and this one might be the most glaring. We don't have "spread" receivers. We don't have "spread" linemen. We don't have "spread" running backs.

The only example of a player recruited specifically for CGM's system is Frazier. Yes, QB is obviously the most important position on offense, but do you seriously think that we should have tried to run some lame imitation of Malzahn's offense for 3 more years just for Frazier? You don't think Frazier bears any responsibility whatsoever for not being able to adapt to a different system? What about last year, when he couldn't win meaningful snaps away from Barrett Trotter or Clint Mosely, even in the very offense that he was brought up in and they were profoundly ineffective operating?

There is plenty of blame to be laid at the coaches' feet, but this is off the mark.

There are many tired, thoughtless, inaccurate fallacies being perpetuated this season, and this one might be the most glaring. We don't have "spread" receivers. We don't have "spread" linemen. We don't have "spread" running backs.

The only example of a player recruited specifically for CGM's system is Frazier. Yes, QB is obviously the most important position on offense, but do you seriously think that we should have tried to run some lame imitation of Malzahn's offense for 3 more years just for Frazier? You don't think Frazier bears any responsibility whatsoever for not being able to adapt to a different system? What about last year, when he couldn't win meaningful snaps away from Barrett Trotter or Clint Mosely, even in the very offense that he was brought up in and they were profoundly ineffective operating?

There is plenty of blame to be laid at the coaches' feet, but this is off the mark.

Everyone needs to read the big red words over and over.

I agree. I've been saying this for a while. At its fundamental level, football is football. Tackling, blocking, running, receiving is all the same no matter what scheme you are in. Now, if you want to tell me WR routes are different, or formations are different, I'll buy that. But the basic game of football is the same. These coaches have been coaching it for many, many years. These players have been playing it since they were old enough to walk. Using the excuse that our "spread" players can't play in a "pro-style" offense doesn't hold much water with me.

I agree. I've been saying this for a while. At its fundamental level, football is football. Tackling, blocking, running, receiving is all the same no matter what scheme you are in. Now, if you want to tell me WR routes are different, or formations are different, I'll buy that. But the basic game of football is the same. These coaches have been coaching it for many, many years. These players have been playing it since they were old enough to walk. Using the excuse that our "spread" players can't play in a "pro-style" offense doesn't hold much water with me.

Even beyond that, many of these "spread" players were recruiting by SEC teams that are a "Pro" style team.

The problem with this is that the leader of the offense (The QB) is a spread QB. They all are. I fault the coaches for most of this. If you know your going to change styles bring in at least one QB that plays that style even if you have to go JUCO. If it was too late or it didn't work out at least try to mix the two styles until you can get a QB that fits your system. You can have great players all over the field but if you don't have a QB to make it run none of it works. One other problem I have seen this year and it does go back to the spread is that for as good as Onterio has been if he would just turn some of his runs up field rather than run as fast as he can to the sideline we could have picked up some critical first downs that might have changed at least two if not three games this year.

Im not sure KF has much of a future at QB at AU. Great kid hate it for him. Not his fault completely. His only hope is if CBP comes in after the season. Which like most, Im thinking the prob of that is pretty slim.

I dont buy in to the spread WRs,RBs and Linemen stuff either but since the thread is about Frazier I will stick with that. Last year he had two upperclassmen ahead of him and no Spring practice under his belt so they used him in the Wildcat to get him in the game. Should they have let him run a couple series in the spread last year ? I like a lot of other people said yes, let the kid QB a series here and there.

To your question, should we have designed and run a system around the skill set of our starting QB this year ? Well yah, we should. It doesn't even have to be in a spread either. As I have said many times, KF has all the skill set of a very good option roll out QB. Why would we want to take his legs away from him and try to make him a drop back pocket passer ? You couple that with a porous OL that has given up 23 sacks and you have the worst of all combinations. One of the advantages of a roll out passer is that it moves the pocket away from the pressure. The second is that it forces the defense to defend both the pass and the run when he is out there. There are about 4 QBs in the SEC alone that are thriving as option QBs and KF is a better athlete than any of them.

I dont buy in to the spread WRs,RBs and Linemen stuff either but since the tread is about Frazier I will stick with that. Last year he had two upperclassmen ahead of him and no Spring practice under his belt so they used him in the Wildcat to get him in the game. Should they have let him run a couple series in the spread last year ? I like a lot of other people said yes, let the kid QB a series here and there.

To your question, should we have designed and run a system around the skill set of our starting QB this year ? Well yah, we should. It doesn't even have to be in a spread either. As I have said many times, KF has all the skill set of a very good option roll out QB. Why we would want to take his legs away from him and try to make him a drop back pocket passer ? Couple that with a porous OL that has given up 23 sacks and you have the worst of all combinations. One of the advantages of a roll out passer is that it moves the pocket away from the pressure. The second is that it forces the defense to defend both the pass and the run when he is out there. There are about 4 QBs in the SEC alone that are thriving as option QBs and KF is a better athlete than any of them.

Probably a (minor) 3rd advantage is the ability to throw it away (on broken plays) without grounding?

Archived